Ice Age Slash Forum
A forum to discuss any possible pairing ideas, help with a story, or just your opinion. Companion to the Ice Age Slash Community
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Starkiller
I'm sure the majority of you know my opinion on DiegoxSid, but how do you feel about it? Are you a fan? Do you think they are far too different to work as a solid pairing, etc. State your opinion (try to be mature and descriptive - a 'diegoxsid squicks me out' is a pretty cack answer) ;)
5/14/2006 #1
Blue Autumn Sky
Personally the pairing never even crossed my mind until I saw Ice Age 2. During all of the Diego/Sid scenes I kept on thinking "If there isn't a single slash fanfic out there..." After Ice Age 2 I definitly have to say that the pairing is plausible. I definitly like the idea. But it's also probably one of the more difficult pairings to write. They are so different, probably the only thing they really have in common is gender (and that's not helping matters). One's a predator, the other is prey. One is a sabretooth, the other is a sloth (think a man and a rhino getting together) One's an infuraiting goofball, the others deadly serious etc. There's also the whole anatomical thing. I definitly think that any physical relationship should be forgotten about, because that would just get into b***, and you don't want to go there. And there's also the problem about the fact that this relationship goes against almost all laws of nature. To be able to take all that into consideration, still make them get together, and keep them in character, is a difficult task. But it's definitly possible.
5/15/2006 #2
Starkiller
You see, I really don't think they are that different. A lot of people think Diego is very serious, short-tempered and generally grumpy. However, there is not much evidence to support this. In Meltdown you can see Diego has definitely 'mellowed out' a bit: "and then the pesky little cubs were eaten by the hungry tiger!". He can be a little short with Sid, but nothing more than that. He has a healthy sense of humour. I think Manny's far more serious and I really do prefer it that way, because to have Diego so deadly serious all the time would be incredibly cliché. "I definitly think that any physical relationship should be forgotten about, because that would just get into b***" I think, in the case of Ice Age fanfiction, there's little point to go into such details. It's better to write and enjoy the pairing on a lighter level - explore how their personalities mesh (or clash) in a romantic relationship and how their said relationship effects the herd, etc. I don't personally see the need to give drench the pairing in reality, because then where could you stop?
5/15/2006 #3
Blue Autumn Sky
You're right about Diego's personality. He's definitly mellowed out a bit more in the sequel than in the original. Bear with me since I've seen Ice Age so many times it's not even funny and the sequel only once. "I think, in the case of Ice Age fanfiction, there's little point to go into such details. It's better to write and enjoy the pairing on a lighter level - explore how their personalities mesh (or clash) in a romantic relationship and how their said relationship effects the herd, etc" That's what I'm sayigng, because that's plenty of a story right there. "I don't personally see the need to give drench the pairing in reality" True, but if you reel away from reality too much you seriously mess up the story. I personally like to stay as realistic as possible while still making a story work.
5/16/2006 #4
Nyachu
I never really thought about the SidxDiego pairing until I saw Ice Age 2 either; the idea of Sid teaching Diego to overcome his fear of the water was great. I also loved the end, when Diego came to Sid's defense concerning their herd - that was really the moment I became a SidxDiego fan. I, too, enjoy pairings (especially slash) that go into the "opposites attract" category, which is what I believe makes this one so special. By avoiding the physical aspects of a relationship, one can delve deeper into the "lighter" aspects, as Starkiller says, and build upon the personalities of the two involved.
6/3/2006 #5
Tikaani
I don't really like it. I mean, they are different species, they are not gay, and these movies are supposed to be rated PG so I can garuntee that DiegoxSid is not going to happen. But, your entitled to your own opinion, so you can think what you want.
12/17/2006 #6
Starkiller
Indeed I am entitled to my own opinion, thank you for pointing that out. Of course it's fine that you don't like it, I wouldn't expect many people to considering it's such an obscure pairing (although the few SidxDiego fics out there are very popular), but simply saying 'they are not gay' and 'it's not going to happen' is not much of an argument. I do agree, I don't think they are gay at all. I'm simply saying I like the pairing in fandom. Stating "they are not gay" is a bit patronising, childish and unlikely to change a person's opinion or win a debate.
2/10/2007 #7
Tikaani
WEll, I can see how the idea sort of came up. Diego saved Sid's life, yadayada, and now taht I actually ponder it, slash isn't too bad, just not my thing.I kind of stick to boy-with-girl. What I'm trying to say is, I have nothing against slash. I'm just not into it. Sorry if I didn't make that clear earlier, cuz some of you DiegoxSid fans may have gotten offended, and I didn't want to sound like some brat with a major additude problem. Anyway, yeah. Sorry. ^^
2/26/2007 #8
Oustiti
Alright I just saw the second Ice Age yesterday (it had been a while) and the first thing I thought was as well that there just had to be SidxDiego pairings out there. So I looked it up and indeed. Now personaly I don't mind slash and read it once in a while (I even wrote a few but not Ice Age's) so I don't mind the pairing. I don't think Diego is all serious. I mean in the first movie you had that part where they were in that ice cave and sliding down and at the end he began yelling to do it again. Then I guess you ca
5/19/2007 #9
Oustiti
Alright I just saw the second Ice Age yesterday (it had been a while) and the first thing I thought was as well that there just had to be SidxDiego pairings out there. So I looked it up and indeed. Now personaly I don't mind slash and read it once in a while (I even wrote a few but not Ice Age's) so I don't mind the pairing. I don't think Diego is all serious. I mean in the first movie you had that part where they were in that ice cave and sliding down and at the end he began yelling to do it again. Then I guess you can see most off the Sid Diego scène's as playfull as well so I sure of one thing: Diego is not only serious but has a playfull part in his character as well. About the pairing well I think it is very well possible. When I was watching the movie I just thought they were fighting like an old couple. And even if they are very diffrent I don't see why that would be a problem, diffrences are good some times. About the physical thing, I think you schouldn't go that far it is still a cartoon. Beside you can easely write slash with out going there. I think the realationschip between the two is interresting enough just considering their characters. About the preditor and prey thing well I think that just makes it even more interresting. So I'm not really pro but I'm certainly not contra. I take slash as any other love stories. (Sorry for posting double but my little brother was pushing me and I posted before I was finished.)
5/19/2007 #10
MadeUpFigment
Those are all great points. I'm suprised I wasn't think about this pairing, even in the secound Ice Age movie. I usually 'read' into every little detail that would make a pairing, I'm VERY suprised I hadn't noticed Sid and Diego.
10/10/2007 #11
Goddess on a Highway
Can't they just be best friends instead of a couple? It's not because Sid hugs Diego at the end of the second movie that they have to be a couple. It's not because two men hug or even kiss each other that they are gay, Italian and French men do it all the time. But in a fanfic you're free to do whatever you want and it doesn't always have to be Diegoxoc or Sidxoc.
2/21/2008 #12
Haeztiger

I just discover that pairing today but I dont think I like it. Sid is just too annoying for me to think him having a pairing :P

12/17/2008 #13
Dustbunny3

Can't they just be best friends instead of a couple?

I have never understood the concept that friends becoming a couple somehow undermines or overshadows their friendship. I like a lot of couples for a lot of reasons, but I like Diego/Sid specifically because I like their interactions as friends. It always bothers me to think that couples of the friends-first variety would somehow no longer be friends or act as though they weren't friends before they were anything else.

Not that I don't see where you're coming from-- friend!gen for the win-- but that always throws me.

It's not because Sid hugs Diego at the end of the second movie that they have to be a couple. It's not because two men hug or even kiss each other that they are gay, Italian and French men do it all the time.

This also throws me, honestly, but that could be my 'ship!goggles versus those of other people. The hug has nothing to do with my perception of the relationship; I found it cute before I started 'shipping Diego and Sid, and it has never been anything other than a cute buddy-buddy moment to me since. Not that I would be surprised to find out that there are people who squeal and point and get all worked up over it as some sort of "evidence", though, I admit.

1/7/2009 #14
Nyachu

I totally understand where you're coming from...although I started out thinking of the SidxDiego pairing as cute, it's kind of interesting that nobody can be friends anymore without also being "in love". ^^ It's really something I've started to think about recently, both in life and in relation to the pairings/shippings I support. You bring up a valid point, and it's really something to think about.

1/8/2009 #15
Incy Little Spider

Of course being the mega-slash-bunny I am, I spotted Sid/Diego very easily in the second movie. Diego just seems to be a nicer kitty instead of a scary-I'm-gunna-eat-you tiger he used to be. Of course being a pervert I giggled when they got tangled up trying to attack Crash and Eddie.

It's a shame that there's only a handful of fanfictions about these guys. It seems when it comes to Ice Age romance here your either a Manny/Ellie lover or an OC lover...not that there's anything wrong with them of course...I can see why people would get creeped out by Sid/Diego...different species, same gender...equals bad in some peoples books. And sometimes people just like two fellas being good friends and not slashies. That's perfectly understandable. The friendship between Sid and Diego is in a word CUTE! But I think the opposite attract getup is pretty adorable, Sid who wears his heart on his sleeve and Diego who keeps everything secret.

I have tried to write for it once...I try to write ALOT of slash...some are alright some are not-so-good. Also every Sid/Diego story I've read is marvellously written and I'm scared of writing a story that makes everyone puke...I'll work on it.

3/23/2009 #16
Dustbunny3

different species, same gender

Haha, I remember when I first realized that I 'shipped Sid/Diego. It wasn't something I really thought about, just something that hit me, and when it did my reaction was akin to, "W**? Do I really 'ship a male saber-toothed tiger with a male sloth all of a sudden? Really?" I got over it in fairly short order, though, comforting myself with the knowledge that such things are not unheard of in real life and that their relationship is cute anyway, so big deal. Still, yeah, I can definitely see why people would cast a stink eye on it.

I have tried to write for it once...I try to write ALOT of slash...some are alright some are not-so-good. Also every Sid/Diego story I've read is marvellously written and I'm scared of writing a story that makes everyone puke...I'll work on it.

Oh, I know what you mean! It's a very small 'ship but what little work for it there is is generally good. I've been thinking of trying to write a fic or two for them myself, but, like you, I don't want to tread mud all over the nice, clean floor.

3/23/2009 #17
Tyloric

I don't s'pose I could ask to be linked to said Sid/Diego stories. I'm... finding nothing. _

3/23/2009 #18
Dustbunny3

The actual number isn't more than nothing, to be honest, at least as far as I know. I can link you to the two fics I'm aware of, though, both one-shots:

Reach Out My Hand Bullfrog, Chickenhawk, Turtledove

3/24/2009 #19
MattII

Can't say I see the idea working. Good friends, yes, partners, Diego's lost his marbles if he lets it get anywhere near 'that'.

7/3/2009 #20
Goddess on a Highway

I agree with MattII but I don't mind the fics about it, some of them are cute and funny.

7/19/2009 #21
PuccaFanGirl

Lol. Well I really don't like Yaoi. (Japanese way of saying boyxboy. A gay relationship.) But I really shouldn't bug any of you guys about it. Everyone likes something, and everyone hates something. I'm just saying. XD Still, I shouldn't get in the way of it. So continue your talk about the whole DiegoxSid pairing! Lol.

*~Mollie~*

8/5/2009 #22
Nyachu

Then why are you here...? :) Please don't take that comment the wrong way, I mean it to sound like a silly-curious tone. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate that you're so easy-going about it, but your comment just sounds a little funny amidst all the SidxDiego fans here.

Thanks for joining in, though, PuccaFanGirl. I always enjoy a healthy debate among fans. And I know you're an Ice Age fan too. :D

~Nyachu

8/7/2009 #23
PuccaFanGirl

Sorry about that. I guess I just felt like saying something about it. XD But yeah, I know. I'm probably becoming an insult to the SidxDiego fans. Sorry about that guys. =( Thank you for going easy on me though Nyachu. =) I won't say anything bad about SidxDiego anymore. =)

Your welcome. =) Yup! I'm a big Ice Age fan! I love Scrat! ^^

*~Mollie~*

8/7/2009 #24
Nyachu

No worries, PuccaFanGirl. I just thought the way you said it was kind of comical, and I wanted to point out the humor in it. :D Though I don't want you to feel like you can't voice your opinion - there are fans who don't agree with the SidxDiego pairing, and that's okay. It's not exactly canon. :) It's just usually customary to provide an argument of sorts, is all. ^^;

Heh, I love Scrat too. But then again, who doesn't?

~Nyachu

8/7/2009 #25
PuccaFanGirl

Thanks. Lol, yeah. I guess it did sound kind of comical. XD I know. I just wanted to at least say something. Lol. But I know that I'm not the only one. Still, I shouldn't but in to this and just bring down all the SidxDiego fans out there. XD Yeah, I could've started an arguement. XDDD

Yeah! Who doesn't? =D But truth to be told...I have a HUGE crush on him. =) But I do prefer him with Scratte and no one else. I'm a ScratxScratte fanatic as well. ;)

*~Mollie~*

8/7/2009 #26
Incy Little Spider

The number of Sid/Diego fics are going up slightly. It makes me very happy.

...I think another reason why you could ship the two is because everyone else in the herd has a pair. Manny/Ellie romantically of course, Crash and Eddie as twins and Sid and Diego as...? Friends? Lovers? That's up to the writer of course. Although I more often write them in the first Ice Age time when there's only 3 in the herd...

I don't like the sterotype of Diego being a grump...he's never been a grump even in the first movie. Slightly sinister...very mysterious...but never a grump. He's actually very playful in all three of the movies. It just gets more obvious as the series progresses.

8/11/2009 #27
PuccaFanGirl

Well yeah, I guess that I could ship the two. But I'd just write them as friends. Lol. I'm not a Yaoi and Yuri lover. XD I'm practically the only one on Fanfiction who's writing ScratxScratte stories. I wish that some people would write about these two. They are SO cute together! ^^ I really am sorry for getting in the way of the SidxDiego thing. I won't bother you guys about it anymore.

*~Mollie~*

8/11/2009 #28
Incy Little Spider

Hey its fine...if you have an opinion know ones stopping you from saying it. ^^

8/11/2009 #29
Dorrica

It's nice to see Diego/Sid gaining popularity. Even though I'm not a h*** fan, I always have to check out the stories when they surface since I'm a yaoi additct. Hopefully more pairings will catch on and this fandom will have a fair balance of just about everything.

8/11/2009 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Blue Autumn Sky
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member