The Consulting Room
A place for fans of the original ACD canon and pastiches based on the stories. Please read the Rules before posting on this forum. Thank you.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Stutley Constable

I'm just curious. Is anyone else carving jack o' lanterns today? I've got ten to do and will post pictures of them on my Deviant Art page when they're ready.

10/24/2015 #121
mrspencil

Looking forward to seeing your photos, Stutley...but no pumpkin artwork going on here:-)

10/24/2015 #122
tripleransom

I used to be big on carving them, but since we live out in the country and don't have Trick or Treaters, I don't do them anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing yours, though.

10/24/2015 #123
Stutley Constable
I used to be big on carving them, but since we live out in the country and don't have Trick or Treaters, I don't do them anymore.

Really? Then how do you keep the ghosts and goblins at bay? :D

10/24/2015 #124
KnightFury
I am planning to carve pumpkins with my nephews next Saturday. That should be fun. They are designing difficult faces and I have to carve them. Paul, the eldest, would like me to make one that is being sick. Delightful. How else would one keep ghosts away: Witches' Orbs? They are balls made from blown coloured glass - they were made in bygone days for hanging in windows to keep bad spirits and such away. Interestingly, they are still made but tend to be called "Friendship Balls" these days.
10/25/2015 #125
mrspencil

That sounds like quite a challenge for you:-)

interesting re witches orbs, we always had a large green glass ball hanging in the window of the living room of my childhood home...it smashed when we had to move, unfortunately...doubt very much that my parents connected it with warding off evil:-)

10/25/2015 #126
tripleransom

I remember those, although they were not a part of my childhood. We called them 'Witch Balls'. I think the evil spirits are supposed to get tangled up in them or something.

10/25/2015 #127
mrspencil

Well...In retrospect, I don't recall being bothered as a kid by things which go bump in the night:-p

10/25/2015 #128
tripleransom

Well, there you are, then!

Maybe I should get one for the car. I just got back from the Middleburg Film Festival, where I saw a terrific independent film "Harry and Snowman" about Harry DeLeyer and Snowman, the great jumper he rescued off a slaughter truck and rode to many top honors in the early '60's. He was there himself, (age 86) so I got to shake his hand and tell him that I remembered seeing him at WIHS 'way back when. Afterwards, we had a lovely lunch at The French Hound and then…I hit a $%&* deer 200 feet from my driveway. 3 o'clock in the $%&* afternoon.

%&!!

10/25/2015 #129
mrspencil

What a shame after such a great experience. How did deer and car fare?

10/25/2015 #130
tripleransom

The deer, alas is dead, Jim.

The car, not so bad. It broke the turn signal light and dented the front driver side quarter panel, but the hood is OK and the door is not damaged. There's no deductible on deer collisions, so the insurance should cover it all. Luckily, the parts are still available. (It's a 1996 Chevy Impala SS - my pride and joy). But grrr!

10/25/2015 #131
mrspencil

Thought that might well be the case with the deer.

Pleased that car damage wasn't greater...frustrating enough though.

10/25/2015 #132
Madam'zelleG
Maybe I should get one for the car. I just got back from the Middleburg Film Festival, where I saw a terrific independent film "Harry and Snowman" about Harry DeLeyer and Snowman, the great jumper he rescued off a slaughter truck and rode to many top honors in the early '60's. He was there himself, (age 86) so I got to shake his hand and tell him that I remembered seeing him at WIHS 'way back when. Afterwards, we had a lovely lunch at The French Hound and then…I hit a $%&* deer 200 feet from my driveway. 3 o'clock in the $%&* afternoon.

Glad you're okay!

10/25/2015 #133
mrspencil

Hi, Giry:-)

and how are you?

the only hallowe'en decoration I have is a treasured spooky black tree:-)

10/27/2015 #134
Madam'zelleG
Hi, Giry:-)

and how are you?

Bit tired at the moment, but not bad. Settling in at work for the evening.

10/27/2015 #135
mrspencil

I hope energy is restored soon and work goes OK, Giry.

we seem to have a particularly good display of autumn leaves here in the UK...how are they doing elsewhere?

10/27/2015 #136
Madam'zelleG

They're appearing much earlier here than I'm used to. At home it's general still in the 80s and 90s F, but here it's actually autumn.

10/27/2015 #137
mrspencil

Really striking here at the moment, particularly beech trees.

10/27/2015 #138
tripleransom

The leaves are just beginning to turn here in Virginia. Daytime temps are generally still in the 60F range, but we did have a light frost already.

10/27/2015 #139
KnightFury
The crescent and parks are beautiful in my little corner, as well. I do love to see Autumn in all its glory.
10/27/2015 #140
Stutley Constable

Around these parts we have many tints of red and gold with a leavening of evergreens. Of course it is raining and has been for the last two days, but the rain is supposed to stop Thursday and it looks like it will be clear and cool and for all the trick-or-treaters. I just hope I get some this year. Twenty years in this place and I have had three youngsters trick or treat. Very disappointing.

KnightFury, what do you mean by "the crescent"? Is this a location near your home?

10/27/2015 #141
KnightFury
Forgive me. The crescent that I referred to is the Royal Crescent, Bath. It is a short walk from my home, beyond which is Victoria Park, where I exercise with the boys every morning. If they are up very early, we practice archery - but only if there is nobody else about. The last thing that I want is to be arrested for aiding and abetting two underage murderers with archaic weapons. Not that our arrows are all that dangerous, with their rubber tips, but someone might still call the police...
10/28/2015 #142
Stutley Constable

Good morning everyone. I just woke up and was checking the news. More than likely you all already know about the terror attacks in Paris. For those with family and friends in that city, you have my sympathy and heartfelt good wishes that they are safe. Of the members of this forum who believe in prayer I ask you to keep the French in mind when you pray. For my part, I pray this does not escalate and there is no further loss of innocent life.

The French police and intelligence forces are quite good at what they do. I am certain they will bring the perpetrators of these attacks to justice. May they have quick success and restore their nation's peace.

11/14/2015 #143
tripleransom

I hope you are right.

11/14/2015 #144
KnightFury
My apologies for posting this here, but I have tried everything else. Is anyone here a member of Watson's Woes, on Livejournal? I have a problem with my account, which is making it impossible for me to post anything - even comments - or access communities. I have volunteered to take part in their Advent Calendar event and I am unable to let anyone know that I may not be able to submit anything.
11/24/2015 #145
tripleransom

I'm a member of Watson's Woes and I'll be glad to let the mods know about your problems.

What's up with your account? This is a satcon through Hughesnet and I had some serious issues a year or so ago that took both LJ support and Hughesnet to finally get untangled. LJ support was actually pretty helpful, though. I can relay any info for you if you like. You can reach me directly at MillenniumFarm (at) aol (dot) com

11/24/2015 #146
KnightFury
Thanks awfully! As far as I can tell, Livejournal are somehow unable to send me emails and have therefore decided that it is either incorrect or no longer in use. It is dashed annoying, as I have been working through a backlog and had been making good progress. Anyway, any light that you can shed would be wonderful - thank you ever so much.
11/24/2015 #147
Madam'zelleG
I've considered doing something with the Watson's Woes community... Maybe I'll look more into it again.
11/24/2015 #148
tripleransom

Please do! It's great fun.

11/24/2015 #149
KnightFury
It really is fun - I cannot recommend it highly enough.
11/24/2015 #150
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Stutley Constable Ennui Enigma, mrspencil
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member