The Consulting Room
A place for fans of the original ACD canon and pastiches based on the stories. Please read the Rules before posting on this forum. Thank you.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
mrspencil

Catching up with discussions...some fascinating notions regarding the Holmes's past. I wondered where a third Holmes brother idea originate too. Was it simply from Sherrinford being the name ACD was going to give Sherlock? And was Sherlock a name in general use as Christian name?...Only aware of it as surname.

8/8/2016 #181
tripleransom

Hi,

Indirectly, yes Sherrinford was the name ACD first thought to give Holmes, but I think it was Baring-Gould who invented the third Holmes brother and gave him that name. The Annotated Holmes was a great work, but B-G made up a lot of stuff out of whole cloth.

8/8/2016 #182
mrspencil

I presume that a few things are taken as canon, which Baring-Gould, rather than ACD, initiated. Plenty of filling in the gaps to be done, of course.

And I note 5 babies christened Sherlock in the UK in 2012...

8/8/2016 #183
Stutley Constable

I have been watching/listening to the Granada productions in an effort to brush up before the December Challenge and just finished watching 'Shoscombe Old Place'. There was a young actor that caught my attention because I thought I had seen him elsewhere, but I could not place him. In the final scene I realized who he is; A VERY young Jude Law! As most of you will know, he portrays Dr. Watson in the Robert Downey, Jr. 'Sherlock Holmes' feature movies. I wonder if this much earlier role had anything to do with him getting the part.

11/19/2018 #184
Ennui Enigma

Good eye! Now I might need to watch Granada Shoscombe Old Place to see such a young Jude Law. Perhaps he is an admirer of Sherlock Holmes and is drawn to working on such productions?

11/20/2018 #185
Stutley Constable

That could be. We know there are plenty of actors and actresses who gravitate towards Shakespeare. It stands to reason some would gravitate towards Holmes.

On a completely different subject - Recently I watched 'Maigret' staring Rowan Atkinson of 'Black Adder' and 'Mr. Bean' fame. I was astonished at how very good he was in a dramatic role. The mysteries were also interesting and the production quality very good. They were filmed on location in Eastern Europe but the settings were selected for the resemblance to post war France. Very much worth checking out.

Does anyone know of other detective series that might compare well with the quality of Granada's Holmes?

11/20/2018 #186
Ennui Enigma

What actor wouldn't want that chance to play Holmes on-screen?! Ah, well, I suppose there are some. I think it would be a high honour to be asked to represent Sherlock Holmes though.

Thanks for insight into Maigret. We tend to stick to the television series that are free on Amazon Prime or Netflix. There are plenty of other detective series with good production quality. Many of the BBC ones tend to be better paced with more emphasis on the filming and setting, in my opinion. Are you looking for more television programs based in Victorian era or loosely on ACD canon?

11/20/2018 #187
Stutley Constable

Primarily I am interested in well considered mysteries with solid acting. For instance, I watched a few episodes of 'Ripper Street' before they deleted the videos. The production quality was good and the acting was good, but they focused a little too much on the interpersonal drama between the characters. Same goes for 'Cracker'. I liked the actors, especially Robbie Coltrane, and I liked the idea of the main character, but after the first season there was all this subplot that had nothing to do with solving crimes or getting to the bottom of the mysteries. After a while the subplots overshadowed everything else. It came off like a soap opera. And then you could take the original 'CSI' as another example. It started out strong with some very good characters. Only one was what I would consider too pretty to be believable. Their problems outside of work were secondary to the show. Sometimes the plots stretched credulity, but overall it was enjoyable. At least until about season four or five. Then it started becoming more and more of a soap opera. Every episode pointed toward the big conflict at the end of the season and the outcome was telegraphed.

One series I really enjoyed, though I only got to see two episodes, was 'The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher'. Victorian era mysteries featuring a working class detective. There was personal drama, but it was not the focus of the show. Another show well worth checking out is the Jesse Stone series, based on Robert B. Parker's books. I really don't care for Parker's style of writing, but the show is almost noir in its presentation. These are more along the line of made for TV movies and have very high production value. I think this is some of Tom Selleck's best work and he has a really good supporting cast.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go on this long. You get the idea, though. No particular period, just good detective type stuff. And I don't really care what country the show is based in. I liked Walander and Bron/Broen in their original languages much more than the English language productions of either.

11/20/2018 #188
Ennui Enigma

Sounds like you are enthusiast in search of another challenging mystery series -- one worthy of your time and concentration to solve :-)

I assume you are familiar with the usual suspects like Endeavour, Lewis, Grantchester, Foyles War, Inspector Lynley, Morse, Hetty Wainthropp, Mrs Bradley, Rosemary & Thyme, etc...

I enjoyed Whitechapel (short series but good balance b/t interpersonal chemistry and the episode mystery)

I've heard good things about Shetland.

Death in Paradise is very formulaic but was low intensity and fun. Different setting from most mysteries

Dr Blake and Miss Fisher are nice series from Australia.

Murdoch Mysteries (Canadian) was fun.

Cadfael is set in 12th century and not as high a quality of filming (some people feel the mystery is a bit shallow) but I've enjoyed them (read books too though).

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers!

11/21/2018 #189
Stutley Constable

Actually, I guess you could say I am always up for a well done mystery series. Granada's Holmes hooked me, but I've been watching mystery shows since I was in grade school. I grew up on shows like 'The Streets of San Francisco', 'Hawaii 50', 'Kojak' and then the 1980s brought 'Magnum PI'. While Magnum did involve mysteries, it wasn't a drama like Holmes. As I got older Holmes and similar shows began to seriously appeal to me.

As for your list of shows, I have seen Lewis, Grantchester, Foyle's War and Inspector Morse. Of them I liked Foyle's war the most. I really liked Grantchester at first, but it got preachy (no pun intended). I have never heard of Shetland. Murdoch Mysteries I have heard of but never seen. Cadfael is great. I really enjoyed it; mostly because the acting was so good but partly because the setting and time period. And I liked all the period metal work, the candleholders and whatnot.

I will have to check into the others. Thanks for the suggestions.

On a slightly different note- Could anyone recommend authors who are skilled at writing spooky scenes? I have an idea for a series of paranormal mystery novels but I have no real practice in writing spooky stuff. I read some M. R. James and some Dickens, but their work is not of the "current fashion".

11/23/2018 #190
Ennui Enigma

You have quite a wide range of viewing history. I can recall watching a few episodes of Hawaii 50 and Magnum PI.

Foyle's War is such a stand out. The historical details in the show and the precise & talented acting really set it apart. Ah, yes, I can see why you would enjoy Cadfael now :-)

I'm not an expert on spooky writing. Typically I steer away from horror and thriller genres. I have read some of Preston & Child's series with Aloysius Pendergast (apparently a partial inspiration for some of BBC Sherlock). They tend to write some fairly graphic and, initially, inexplicable, horrible crime scenes. *shrug* I don't know if one classifies as high quality. It is effective though. The Cabinet of Curiosities by Preston & Child might be a book to check out and see if it fits your needs.

Best,

EE

11/23/2018 #191
Stutley Constable

For anyone stopping by, no matter if you are an old member, a lurker or just passing through, I want to remind you about Hades Lord of the Dead's 'December Calendar Challenge'. You can still participate if you want. Just get in touch with her and get the details. If you don't want to write, please help out by reading and reviewing. It's a fun challenge with some great short stories and vignettes. If you participate I know for certain every story you post will get reviewed. The challenge begins on the 30th of November and the stories start appearing on the 1st of December.

11/29/2018 #192
Ennui Enigma

I concur. Whether you plan to challenge yourself with the writing or just pop by to read some SH holiday cheer, it's a good group.

11/29/2018 #193
Stutley Constable

Got my first prompt for the challenge and just finished the story! Yay!!!!!

Interestingly, Enigma, it was your prompt I received. :D

11/30/2018 #194
Madam'zelleG

Kind of excited that Hades reached out to me! Been months since I last logged in so I'm glad I saw the PM in time.

11/30/2018 #195
Stutley Constable

Excellent, Madam'zelleG! Very good to see you here again.

I just read Domina Temporis's first edition. She did well with a prompt from MrsP. I have a very good feeling about this year's challenge.

11/30/2018 #196
Hades Lord of the Dead

Hi everyone! Not been on here in quite a long while! Just wanted to thank Stutley for the plug and reaffirm that if anyone wants to join, you still can! We do usually get late entries and have a couple pending at the moment (just waiting on their calendars!) - as it gets further into the month I'll try and post a list of all the stories if that's okay _

Also, just wanted to say re: seeing the young Jude Law - I'm someone who gets very much into Wikipedia trails on different actors etc that I see in various things and honestly it's astounding how many of them come back to being in Sherlock Holmes in some way. I suppose part of that is the nature of all the adaptations that have been made? I can't really think of anything that has the sheer VOLUME of remakes, adaptations, pastiches etc etc all based off of it! I am also a Scooby Doo nerd and am frequently shocked by how Scooby Doo continues to be reinvented again and again. Not on a comparable level to SH, but when you consider that SH was this hugely popular book series that was the first of its kind etc etc and now hailed as a classic whereas Scooby Doo is this... relatively niche, specific American cartoon about a talking dog in a gang of teenagers... it's quite surprising when the comparison is drawn?

I thought maybe it could be something to do with the potential that having various mysteries central to plot gives to reinventing something? As in, you can always come up with a different mystery that not only can update things in certain ways and give the drama of whatever adaptation but also gives a back drop for exploring the characters in new ways? Just a thought!

Also don't know if it's been mentioned, but one of my favourite detective/mystery dramas is Broadchurch! Season 1 is centred around a mystery but specific to the local community, so sort of a nice mix between interpersonal drama as well as whodunnit!

12/1/2018 #197
Madam'zelleG
I have to shout out to the Joan Hickson Miss Marple adaptations. They can be a tad slow in places, but thorough. And Campion with Peter Davison.
12/1/2018 #198
Cuthalion97

Okay, as my first contribution to this forum, I'm inserting links to episodes of Sherlock Holmes that not many people have seen. :) Personally, I find this show to be a very cozy, winter-evening-near-the-fire rendition. Ronald Howard plays Holmes, and Howard Marion-Crawford plays Watson. The first two links are in chronological order, story-wise, but there doesn't seem to have been an order for the story as far as the rest of the episodes are concerned. Just fun little stand-alone half-hour episodes! One of my favorites, as far as dialogue and mystery are concerned, is 'The Pennsylvania Gun'. I'm sure no one will have trouble recognizing which story it was based on. . . . I'm posting only five episodes, but the rest should show up on the playlist on YouTube. :) Incidentally, the producer of this series, Sheldon Reynolds, later made a different Sherlock Holmes show, but used some of the same stories; the actors were Geoffrey Whitehead and Donald Pickering as Holmes and Watson, respectively. I've included a link to one of those. :D Enjoy! The Case of the Cunningham Heritage The Case of Lady Beryl The Case of the Pennsylvania Gun The Case of the Christmas Pudding The Case of the Thistle Killer And the Geoffrey Whitehead version: Episodes 1 - 4

4/15/2019 #199
Ennui Enigma

Hi Cuthalion 97

Thanks for recommendations. I really enjoy the Ronald Howard adaptions. They were one of the first ones that I saw after Granada series. As you mention, cozy and easy-viewing. Very pleasant 30 minute episodes and easy to watch in any order.

Interesting history tidbit with producer Sheldon Reynolds.

4/15/2019 #200
tripleransom

I like the Ronald Howard series also, particularly the once where they fence all around the castle hall. (can't remember the name).

It was Sheldon Reynolds' completely insane ex wife Andrea Plunkett who instigated that lawsuit a couple of years ago, claiming she owned the rights to the stories, only, of course she could never produce any documentation and threatening to stop production of the RDJ Holmes movie because it promoted gay values or some such hooey.

4/19/2019 #201
Cuthalion97

The Case of the Royal Murder, I think it was. :)

4/21/2019 #202
Stutley Constable

I have to say I am particularly pleased to see so much activity recently. I wish I had more time to join in but real life takes precedence.

Anyway, maybe this link will make up for my lack of participation. It is not directly related to Sherlock Holmes or even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It is grim and funny if you have a dark sense of humor and maybe it will inspire a few stories if someone is having difficulty coming up with new plots. Hope you all enjoy it.

imgur (dot) com/gallery/8J3fwBN

4/22/2019 #203
tripleransom

You're right. Definitely my fav episode. They clearly had so much fun channeling Basil Rathbone.

4/22/2019 #204
Ennui Enigma

Stutley,

Nice link! Rather grim but darkly humorous. I wonder if having a surname of 'Gorey' influenced his art?

Poor Fanny... sucked dry by a leach

And, I am somewhat concerned now that I have learned ennui is deadly :-0

4/22/2019 #205
Cuthalion97

I have a fairly relevant question: how many of you have publishing a Sherlock Holmes novel in mind? :) I fully intend to at some point - which translates, right now, to slowly thinking up plot points, sketching out designs, and imagining what kind of cover art I'd like. . . ;D

5/14/2019 #206
Surprise Beneath

Uh... greetings?

1/17 #207
Ennui Enigma

Greetings, Blue!

Just a little quote from the Valley of Fear to start your week off right :-)

"A touch! A distinct touch!" cried Holmes. "You are developing a certain unexpected vein of pawky humour, Watson, against which I must learn to guard myself."

1/17 #208
Stutley Constable

Greetings, Blue. Good morning, EE. Good morning to everybody else. I just rolled out of bed a few minutes ago. Got my coffee on the brew. Looking forward to a new day. Hope everyone is doing well. See you all later!

1/18 #209
Surprise Beneath

Ah, yes, thank you. I'm afraid I'm about as new to this side of the Sherlock Holmes fandom as I can possibly be, considering I seriously started reading the series late 2020. So... hello from a fandom newbie! I'll try to catch up with y'all.

1/18 #210
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Stutley Constable Ennui Enigma, mrspencil
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member