The Consulting Room
A place for fans of the original ACD canon and pastiches based on the stories. Please read the Rules before posting on this forum. Thank you.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Stutley Constable

I thought it might be wise to create a thread on which members could post any articles they come across or advertise events that may be of interest to other members of the forum.

Are you getting ready to go to a fan convention of some sort? Post it here!

Have you heard of a new pastiche coming out? Post it here!

Is there a new documentary about Holmes or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on television? Post it here!

You say there is a Holmesian museum exhibit opening soon? Post it here!

All I ask is that any posts be related to the Sherlock Holmes stories, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Dr. Bell.

2/24/2015 #1
Stutley Constable

I just read this article online and frankly, I'm very curious and very hopeful now.

www dot csmonitor dot com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2015/0224/A-long-lost-Sherlock-Holmes-story-surfaces dot -But-is-it-for-real

I would love to see this become available in print or even on a website somewhere.

2/24/2015 . Edited 6/24/2015 #2
Stutley Constable

Just came across this. Looks very promising!

www dot imdb dot com/title/tt3168230/

3/28/2015 . Edited 6/24/2015 #3
medcat

Submissions sought for 12-part SH novella series:

www dot ihearofsherlock dot com/2015/04/submissions-sought-for-12-part-sherlock dot html

This is very recent, please do take a look--I know there are several authors on this forum/site who would be able to contribute! Please spread the word as well! :)

4/8/2015 . Edited by Stutley Constable, 6/24/2015 #4
mrspencil

Hi Cat, yes there are some very good writers around, with excellent Sherlockian voices.

Also would like to point out the live journal community Sherlock60

Each week a different canon tale is discussed, or written about in 60 words, or written about in a poem, or simply read about...all are welcome:-)

4/9/2015 #5
medcat

Regarding the "lost SH story", Stutley, if you haven't seen these yet, I thought you might be interested in these 2 links:

Read the lost SH story:

www dot telegraph dot co dot uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11425042/Read-the-lost-Sherlock-Holmes-story-found-in-an-attic dot html

and

Conan Doyle didn't write the lost SH story:

www dot ihearofsherlock dot com/2015/02/conan-doyle-didnt-write-lost-Sherlock dot html

4/10/2015 . Edited by Stutley Constable, 6/24/2015 #6
Stutley Constable

I have not yet had time to read through the story, Medcat. Thank you for providing the links, though.

I have an update on the movie 'Mr. Holmes'. I just watched the second trailer and it seems the director has brought back an actor who portrayed Holmes in one of my favorite movies from when I was in high school. Nicholas Rowe played Holmes in 'Young Sherlock Holmes' in 1985 and did a great job of it. If you haven't seen the movie, treat yourself. It is quite fun. His role in the new film might be no more than a cameo, but he is in it! Needless to say, I was pleased to spot him. I had read that there were rumors of a sequel to 'Young Sherlock Holmes' that would feature Rowe and Alan Cox reprising their roles as Holmes and Watson. Aside from the one article I never saw anything more of it. Too bad. I think it would have turned out to be very interesting if they could have gotten a good script and a good director.

5/6/2015 #7
medcat

My pleasure, Stutley! Let us know what you think, once you check out the links :)

Interesting news re: "Mr. Holmes" film; I shall definitely have to check out "Young SH", it's been on my list of films to watch for a while, thank you for the reminder and the recommendation.

5/7/2015 #8
Stutley Constable

Just a bit of news regarding FFnet and some issues with links that have disappeared.

It seems the site was getting spammed by someone out of Korea and the admin department of FFnet stepped in to remedy the problem. The best I can figure things is that they have blocked all external links save those going to sites they have listed at the bottom of the forum screen. This means that if you have linked to a webpage other than one of those the link is no longer visible to anyone dropping in. As a forum administrator I can still see the links if I go to the edit page. Also, I have discovered that I can restore the links after a fashion. If you scroll through this thread and the research thread you will see the changes I have been making. For further details on this issue please go to the research thread and read my latest post.

6/24/2015 #9
Westron Wynde

Thanks for that. I was wondering what was happening when my links stopped working.

6/26/2015 #10
mrspencil

I know this is not strictly a Sherlockian event, but I was amused to see that there is an experiment underway on Dartmoor for some of the ponies to have a luminous stripe painted on them to reduce moorland road casualties in poor light. Not phosphorus, but the Hound may have been ahead of his time:-p

And do please have a look at fics being posted on ffnet, Holmes book section, for Hades December challenge...more than a dozen are taking part, and it is not to late to join in:-)

12/1/2015 #11
Stutley Constable

It has been a very long time since I posted anything here, but in the off chance that some of the old members still drop in from time to time I want to alert everyone to the December Calendar Challenge 2018 presented by our very own Hades Lord of the Dead. It's a great opportunity to have some writing fun and really stretch your creativity. The challenge begins on December 1st and runs to the end of the month. One random prompt per person per day for 31 days. I've done it once and had a great time. To participate you need only get in touch with Hades and get the details. Even if you do not have time to participate I encourage you to read the stories and support those who write them by leaving a brief review or even just a simple "thank you".

11/19/2018 #12
Forum Moderators: Stutley Constable Ennui Enigma, mrspencil
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member