Good Warrior Names
Hello cats! This forum is for you people to tell me what you think are good warrior names and I'll leave a comment on HOW I like it, IF I like it, WHY I like it, and so on. I promise not to be harsh...No, really!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 .. Last Next »
Sagewhisker

So now that I've failed my physics exam, I can get back to writing about warrior names. (Or I can soon, at least, since I still have to work on stuff for my lab section tomorrow, despite wanting nothing more than to ignore the subject of physics for the rest of my life.) Bah.

@FELL: Calculus camp...? Eh? Sounds like fun. ^^

Oh, and I see that someone recommended Ebonycrow's guide to naming warriors to you in one of your reviews. It's an interesting guide, for sure, made by a very interesting person. I used to chat a lot with Ebony back when she was still into Warriors. She always gave the most thorough ratings and reasonings behind them, so I think most considered her the "queen of warrior names" and the poster-girl traditionalist back in the day, especially on Neopets, where she posted a lot. I used to share almost all of the same opinions as her; she was really the one that got me thinking about the mechanics of naming. I've changed since then, of course, but it's interesting to see just how much my opinions have developed since then.

That was so long ago. :/ -wistful-

4/6/2011 #181
A Streetcar Named STOP

I love Pokémon Black, but the Pokémon take so darn long to evolve in that game. In the stereotypical 'bird' of the series (Pidgey, Tailow, Starly, etc.), it evolves first at level 21.

Too high. -__- There's actually one that doesn't finish evolving until level 69.

EDIT: WHY WON'T MY ITALICS WORK UGH.

4/6/2011 . Edited 4/6/2011 #182
Coldgaze

Hey Sage, did you see my post above? You probably did and now I'm nagging.. I'll stop ;) haha Oh and do you do Tribe names?

EDIT: Rating for your cats (if you still want them, if not then ignore this)

Mistybreeze: Very pretty, makes me think of a mysterious, lithe cat. Very feminine. I like it :)

Adderclaw: I don't really think of claw going well with Adder, perhaps Adderfang? I dunno, I like the prefix Adder but I never know what to put with it :/ You could do Adderstrike...

Tawnyfrost: I just love the sufix "frost", it's probably my favorite :) It goes well with most prefixes :) I do like the name, it's edgy ;)

4/6/2011 . Edited 4/6/2011 #183
Sagewhisker

I saw. :3 I'm just a bit busy right now to be working on them. And it seems I've got a few posts backed up... which is nice, actually. It's good to have people posting again. ^^

Edit: So, yeah, I fail at being observant. I'm not sure about tribe names. I could probably give a short critique, but I don't think I'd be any good at any suggestions, to be honest.

And thanks for taking a look at my original post. I've used Adderstrike instead of Adderclaw before; I'm a bit indecisive about him, to be honest.

4/6/2011 . Edited 4/6/2011 #184
Coldgaze

Well I always have a hard time with "Adder" and also "Falcon" even though those are two of my favorites... lol Well I'd just want a critique of the Tribe names :) do you want them now or should I wait?

4/6/2011 #185
Prin Pardus

Do you know you failed the exam, or do you just think you did? I'm sorry if you know for sure, ha. xD

Oh, dear, I completely forgot about rating your cats. I meant to when I first posted, but I completely forgot...do you still need those names rated? I can do so, if you like. I'm such a scatter-brain sometimes. ^^;

I use Ebony's guide quite a bit myself, I'll admit. Although, I'll say that your own ratings and SiG's ratings have influenced me a bit already...I'm fairly impressionable, eh.

4/6/2011 #186
Purrfect iNSaNiTY

sry 4 re-posting this i don't thik u noticed the first post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blackstorm

burstpaw-dark ginger tom wit bright flame colored flecks

crystalkit-white she-cat wit blue eyes

doveblaze

duskblaze

echokit-light blue-grey tabby she-cat with ice-blue eyes & white stripes

emberheart

firefoot

firestream

flareheart

frostflame

leafpaw-pale ginger tabby wit flame colored stripes, one ice blue eye and one leafy green eye, was named long after she was born

leopardflame

lightningbreeze

misty(loner-help plz!)-blue-gray she-cat wit large frost colored star on her face, frost colored speckles near her eyes and piercing blue eyes

pebblefoot

rat-tail

roseflame

scarclaw

shadowstar-Black she-cat with a four-pointed star on her head with a five-pointed star inside it. One of her blue eyes is scratched to form a red x across it.

silverpool

whiteblaze

sunspots

tigerfrost

tigerpaw-looks like an arcanine ( http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Arcanine )

4/6/2011 . Edited 4/6/2011 #187
Prin Pardus

Not to be rude, Shad, but she hasn't done mine yet and mine were above yours. She mentioned that she probably wouldn't get to mine until tomorrow, so it was easy to assume that she would do yours after mine. :)

4/6/2011 #188
Purrfect iNSaNiTY

sry i cant wait 2 get my results no matter how incredibly long they r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

4/6/2011 #189
Sagewhisker

@Coldgaze: You could post them now, if you'd like. I'll get to them as soon as I can. :3

@SHAD: What Prin said. And you'll have to wait. I'd appreciate some patience. That said, I'll try to get to your names soon.

@Prin: I pretty much know, unfortunately. Stupid physics. (And I just remembered that I have a physics quiz tomorrow too. Because we really needed a quiz the day after our exam. -sigh-)

Don't worry about rating my cats. You can if you'd like to, but it's not necessary. Though I've been reminded to go back and edit my first post; I was a bit angry (and sick, I think) while writing part of it. ^^;;

Impressionable is good. I also find it interesting that you've used Ebony's guide. So many people I meet nowadays are "traditionalists" who follow the guide made by Ten (and THEM). :/ I've never really been a fan of Ten, though.

4/6/2011 #190
Coldgaze

Kay :) take your time :)

Darkness that Clouds the Valley (Darkness): Large black tom.

Night that Covers the Trees (Night): Slim black she-cat.

Flight of Startles Sparrows (Sparrow OR Flight): mottled brown tom.

Feather Floating in Stream (Feather): small ginger she-cat.

Dew on Spiders Web (Dew): dark gray tabby she-cat, very beautiful.

Crow of Early Dawn (Crow): smoky black tom with yellow eyes.

Path of Tangled Bramble (Bramble): Muscular brown tabby tom.

Flower Drifting in Small Pond (Flower): small tortoiseshell she-cat.

Chill on Cold Evening (Chill): Beautiful dark gray she-cat with long fur and bright blue eyes.

Burning Glow of Sunrise (Sunrise): Tall long-haired bright ginger she-cat with a white blaze on her chest and white paws.

Midnight of No Stars (Midnight): Muscular, tall jet black she-cat with yellow eyes.

Dusk of Fading Twilight (Twilight OR Dusk): Dark gray tabby tom.

Lingering Frost on Pines (Frost OR Pine): reddish-brown tabby tom with blue eyes and a white blaze on his chest.

Prick of Stinging Nettle (Nettle): muscular short-legged brown tabby tom with green eyes.

Branch where Squirrels Race (Branch): Long-legged brown tabby tom.

Raven in Early Mist (Raven): Small, beautiful white she-cat with black on her face and ears.

Owl that Perches in Oak Tree (Owl): tall brown tom.

Lark that Sings at Dawn (Lark OR Dawn): pretty brown tabby she-cat.

Rain that Falls on Still Water (Rain): light gray tabby tom with long legs.

4/6/2011 #191
Prin Pardus

Aww, that's too bad. I'm not any good at Physics myself, I barely got an A freshman year (and it was like really really bottom-of-the-barrel easy physics, so don't think that A means anything xD). You've got my respect just for taking the class.

Well, someone directed me to it (when it was still on dART). I can't remember who, but I read through it and kind of "woke up", I guess you could say; my names were really terrible before reading it. (Sparklewish, for one. Deathstorm, Passionflower, Purestream...if you need anymore convincing that I was awful, just say so xD). But since then, I've tried to put more thought into my names and see them how they were really intended to be, not just a random mish-mash of words, y'know. I'm afraid I don't know who Ten is, though...maybe I know and just don't remember, I have no idea. Having a terrible memory is part of being a scatter-brain, I'm afraid. :p

4/6/2011 #192
Purrfect iNSaNiTY

@sagewisker

srry' plz 4give me ;) i won't be on till about 3:20pm-ish tomarrow so i might miss ur post *ur post hiding behind millions of other posts* lol

4/6/2011 #193
Sagewhisker

This is actually my third time taking physics. I took AP Physics C in high school. I got an A in the class, but failed the AP exam - and that was the only AP exam I failed, though I took nine. The A was basically my teacher being nice and rewarding me for improving over the year (I went from failing the tests to getting Bs and one A by the end of the year). I took Physics 1 with Calculus (a mechanics class) last semester and got a B in lecture and an A in lab; mechanics makes a bit of sense to me now. I'm taking Physics 2 with Calculus (an electromagnetism class) this semester; it makes no sense. At all.

I'm only taking physics because I'm required to for my major (and being in my second year of college, I couldn't really avoid the subject for much longer). I don't understand why. I immediately rejected the idea of being any sort of engineering major so I wouldn't have to take physics. I'm a biology major. According to my instructors, physics is a good subject to learn "critical thinking" skills in, but I'm quite sure I've already learned plenty of that in chemistry, which makes way more sense to me. Serves me right for going to an engineering school.

Ten runs a forum called Starless now, I think. She posts on Neopets too, and that's where I know her from. But if you don't really go on there, I suppose you really wouldn't know of her. You're not missing anything, though.

@SHAD: I'm sure you'll find my post just fine, if I've posted it by then.

4/6/2011 #194
dragonFELL
I'm... Taking the mechanics and E&M tests this May. Hoo-boy, I am royally screwed. Plus I'm trying to learn E&M on my own--our class is barely finishing the last chapter on gravity *-* I've only taken one AP before--world history--and history's, well, easy. I'll bomb calc and physics and enviro. ;^; I'll bomb English language if I'm drunk or something. And US history... Meh. And they're in four weeks, and how do I prepare? Pokemon. Yep.
4/6/2011 #195
Coldgaze

:/ college sucks!

4/7/2011 . Edited 4/7/2011 #196
Prin Pardus

Wow. I'm only taking four AP classes next year, so I'll have taken six total; you make me feel like a weenie. xD

Bleh, I hate Physics. Critical thinking isn't my cup of tea (unless it's in analysis, I'm fairly good at that). Honestly, your classes sound terrifying. I'd probably wet myself on the first day, as easily-intimidated as I am. D:

Mmm, I might go look for her out of curiosity. I'm actually on Neopets, I've been there off and on for about four years, although I never go on the boards. I like to stay in guilds, myself; board role-play seems kind of hit-or-miss, from what I've heard.

I found Ten's guide, by the way; I've read it before, I think, if I remember correctly. I definitely disagree with her on a few points, but eh. I like Ebony's better, it just makes better sense to me. xD

I also have another apprentice, but I don't need to make up a name for her, I just need your opinion on which suffix would be better.

Rabbitpaw - Early in the fic I described her as white splashed with gray, but I forgot about that (that memory of mine, again xD) and so now she's more like a soft gray with white on her belly/insides of her legs/underside of her tail. Her tail is abnormally short, because of an accident that occurred when she was a kit (although, unlike Berrynose, it doesn't embarrass her and she kinda wants to be named Rabbit-tail). She's extremely ditzy, often a complete airhead, but has one of the brightest hearts in the Clan. She's easily excitable, loves bouncing around. She's a fairly good hunter; she used to be only a decent fighter, but after her mentor was changed to the best fighter in the Clan, she's improved a lot (her former mentor went a bit wacky). She's always wanting to help out around the Clan, and absolutely nothing can bring her down, not even a rather disastrous fall that severely damaged both of her front legs (she's recovered from her injuries, but they're both still often sore and her range of movement is slightly limited). Despite these many set-backs, she is an excellent warrior, ready to give up anything for her Clan.

I'm considering either Rabbitleap or Rabbitflight for her name, but I'd like to know which you think is better for her. :)

Also, just a couple more names:

Mousestep - Small dusty-golden tom. He's extremely nervous, and speaks with a bad stutter, especially when flustered, scared, or angry. His self-esteem is quite low, because other apprentices often made fun of him for his speech problem. Because of this, he threw himself into his training with his mentor, Rainwind, one of the few cats he felt comfortable around. As a result, Mousestep is an excellent hunter, a master of stealth; he's not the best fighter because he's reluctant to harm others unless absolutely necessary, but he can get the job done if he must. He still treads carefully around his Clanmates, but after receiving his warrior name, he became slightly more confident.

Sleekfoot - Sleek blue-gray she-cat. She's a good fighter. She's built rather powerfully for a she-cat, and she can be slightly intimidating, but she knows how to use her bulk to her advantage. Despite this, she's rather quick on her paws, and more intelligent than you might believe. Her steps are a little too heavy for herto sneak up on her prey, but she makes up for it with powerful leaps, which allow her to close the distance that her poor stealth can't quite manage.

Smallfire - Undersized ginger tom, the runt of his litter. He'd a little spitfire though, don't get him wrong; he's extremely quick on his feet, and can dazzle his opponents with his speed. He actually sometimes tutored his fellow apprentices if they were having difficulties with certain moves that required agility. He's also a good hunter; his light weight means that he can pursue squirrels down narrow branches that other cats wouldn't dare to cross.

4/7/2011 . Edited 4/7/2011 #197
Sagewhisker

@Prin: I would have taken more if my school had offered them; I was too lazy to self-study. :/ Things worked out all right, though. My college only accepts 45 incoming credits from AP or IB, or whatever, and I came in with 44, so… yeah.

Anyway, your first set of names:

Amberblaze: I really love this name. :D It's simple, elegant, and still formidable sounding; perfect for a warrior she-cat. The suffix seems perfect for her. The "fire suffixes" – fire, flame, and blaze – are all appropriate for a passionate, brave, and forthright cat. The 'blaze' suffix, in particular, is the most intense, the most bright, so it logically follows that it would be given to a particularly remarkable cat. Amberblaze seems like a determined, passionate cat who is willing to work and fight for what she wants or for what she thinks is right; I don't think her leader could have chosen a better name for her. I have a bit of a problem with her prefix, though. Calicos are predominantly white and usually have about an equal amount of ginger and black fur – so maybe about a quarter to a third of her is actually amber-colored. When someone thinks of an Amberkit or Amberpaw, they're probably going to imagine a cat who is entirely ginger or, at least, mostly ginger with some white. A calico, I think, is a bit too far of a stretch. If she were ginger (tabby) and white, though, I think this would be a perfect name.

Blackstorm: He has a black pelt? I never would have guessed that! :o Anyway, to the suffix. x3 'Storm' is a good suffix for a firm, powerful cat, which you've described Blackstorm to be. The name itself has a fairly good flow and the two words seem connected, certainly having a good correlation being adjective-noun. "Blackstorm" has a sort of dark, almost ominous sound to it; perhaps a good fit for a cat with a darker past and disposition. I also appreciate that he was given such a plain prefix when adopted into the Clan; it just enforces how he is taken to be just "one of the Clan cats" rather than anything special. I expect he has his reasons, but I really don't get why he's still sticking around the Clan, though, if he really dislikes them. :/ He surely knows how to hunt, so it's not a matter of not being able to feed himself. It doesn't seem like it's the companionship, either, since he seems a fairly solitary cat. The danger of living alone, like you kind of mentioned, is probably the most intimidating thing, but really… a lone cat, particularly a strong tomcat, isn't necessarily going to be at high risk. He is alone, not much of a threat; if he stakes out a bit of territory away from the Clan territory to call his own, he's probably not going to be challenged very often. And if he does, he's probably strong enough to either defend himself (from a single attacker, or whatever) or to get away (if a group happens to attack him, which is a bit… illogical, since a group would have very little to gain from driving away one cat). So, yeah, a good fitting name; I'm just confused a bit about his character.

Honeyblossom: How sweet. :D I usually make mild distinctions between the 'flower' suffix and the 'blossom' suffix. Both are typically kind, compassionate, and defensive (or protective) cats – traits that are evident in your description of Honeyblossom. They key for a either suffix is a cat who puts more stock in emotions and feelings than in cold logic; in a way, '-flower' and '-blossom' cats are the complete opposites of '-frost' cats. 'Flower' suffix cats I tend to see as more dramatic and open, not afraid to share their opinions with the world and prone to over-reaction. 'Blossom' suffix cats, though, I see as a bit more reserved, very aware of how they feel about things, but sometimes unwilling to share their opinions. I suppose I make the distinction because 'blossom' just sounds a bit more delicate than 'flower' does; I don't really know. They're really just interchangeable suffixes. The prefix is a bit of an odd case, since 'Honey' was her kittypet name and clearly carried over. (That much, in itself, I'm not completely comfortable with; I would think that the Clan would give her a different name to symbolize her rejecting of her old life and embracing her new one. But, then, one only has to look as far as ThunderClan to see that this is not the case in every Clan setting.) It works, but I still would have preferred her to be just ginger (tabby) and white instead of calico. Otherwise, this is a really nice sounding name. There's not a great correlation between the two parts of the name (honey and blossoms don't really immediately have much in common with each other), but they do compliment each other to give an image of a kind, sweet cat. :3

Snowfall: The prefix is suitable; she is the color of snow, after all. I'm really not into using 'fall' as a suffix (or 'fallen' as a prefix, though that seems much more obvious). No matter which way you look at it, falling is nine times out of ten a bad thing to cats. :/ A falling tree can crush a cat or destroy territory (or camp). A falling rock does the same. Leaves only fall from trees once they're dead. That, and falling tends to be somewhat of an uncontrollable process. The idea of snow falling is quick and elegant, but it is also very much out of the snow's control. This does seem an appropriate comparison for your cat, I'll admit; from a warrior's perspective, though, quickness and elegance have very little value without control. A cat who is extremely fast is probably only going to get into more danger if she is also uncoordinated; in Snowfall's case, her swiftness would be a liability, so it's unlikely that a leader would choose that trait to name her for. (Basically, '-fall' implies that the cat is either dead, which is clearly bad, or is uncontrollably fast, which is also bad, so a leader would never choose this suffix.) Instead, her bright cheeriness is probably a safer trait to highlight. A suffix like 'breeze' or 'dawn' or 'light' would mark her as a cat with a lightness to her personality who is generally good for Clan morale. Snowdawn is a bit… off. Snowlight is marginally better. Snowbreeze, though, works quite well, I think, to describe her as a playful and cheerful cat, while also hinting at her being a bit quicker than most of her Clanmates (without bringing up the lack of control).

Spiderpaw: Hm, this is a tricky one. The prefix doesn't really match well with very many suffixes to begin with and taking into account his description narrows things down even more. I think a simple, straightforward name would work best for him, honestly. Maybe something like Spiderfoot or Spidertail, since both work very well with his agility. I rather like the sound of Spiderfoot, actually.

4/7/2011 #198
Sagewhisker

So now I need to work on SHAD's list and Coldgaze's names, and then your second list, Prin. I'll start on that.

I have class in a little over an hour, though, so I probably won't finish either. And then I'm seeing a movie with friends tonight, so it might be late before I actually get to post. But I'll definitely try to get a post in tonight.

Thanks everyone for being patient. :3

4/7/2011 . Edited 4/7/2011 #199
Prin Pardus

Yay, here you are. :D

Amberblaze: Thank you very much! I'm really fond of her name. I wasn't aware that the black/ginger was actually balanced, though, I always thought it was kind of haphazard. That's very interesting!

Blackstorm: There was some sort of justification in role-play...but I can't quite remember what is was, hmm. I think there were some dangerous rogues in the area when I first started using him, something like that which meant that he had to stay with the Clan for his own protection. And then soon after that was resolved, he found himself a lady lover (which put him in an intensely sticky position with his hating-kits-thing xD). He was excellent to rp, though, I loved him to pieces. Incidentally, he was the one that mentored Amberblaze in secret.

Honeyblossom: Thank you. I agree, blossom always strikes me as being a bit softer. Again, I'd probably agree with you on the calico/ginger bit...but I love calicos so much. D:

Snowfall: Heh, you're right about the -fall thing. This name is much older than the others (besides Honeyblossom, but I think her name aged well xD). Snowbreeze and Snowlight do both sound amazing.

Spiderpaw: I know, Spider is hard to match stuff with, fff. Both Spiderfoot and Spidertail could work, but...hmm. I might have to keep working on him until I find the perfect thing.

4/7/2011 #200
Purrfect iNSaNiTY

i'm back 8D !

4/7/2011 #201
Purrfect iNSaNiTY

I used 2 b SHAD 8D..............

NOW I'M TODD 8D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D8D

mah signature:

~SHAD:"If love is blind, and God is love, and Brokentail is blind, then Brokentail is God."

(SHAD=TODD)

4/7/2011 . Edited 4/7/2011 #202
Purrfect iNSaNiTY

REPLY ALREADY D8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/7/2011 #203
Coldgaze

Uh, if you read a post or two back, Sagewhisker says that she's going to be really busy today but she will try to post later tonight... You can message me your names and I can rate them for you :) It wont be as good as hers but... yeah :)

4/7/2011 #204
Sagewhisker

My dear TODD, remember when I said I would appreciate some patience on your part? That statement still stands. I've had a very long day. I've had a very long week. And so on. I know it's hard to imagine, but I do have a life to be getting on with. Trust me when I tell you that your critique will be posted as soon as I've had time to finish. (Bugging me any more is only going to encourage me to skip over you, I'm afraid.)

That said, thank you, Coldgaze, for posting that. I appreciate it. :3

4/7/2011 #205
Prin Pardus

*pats* Sounds like that physics quiz was a killer, eh? Or was that yesterday? I know you already did an exam, so the quiz is today, right...?

Er, anyway, my advice would be to curl up with some hot chocolate (much better than silly coffee or tea). Always makes me feel better. C:

4/7/2011 #206
Coldgaze

I agree with Prin :) Hot Chocolate always works for me!

4/7/2011 #207
Purrfect iNSaNiTY

i'm back C:

4/8/2011 #208
Purrfect iNSaNiTY

here u go coldgaze!C:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blackstorm

burstpaw-dark ginger tom wit bright flame colored flecks

crystalkit-white she-cat wit blue eyes

doveblaze

duskblaze

echokit-light blue-gray tabby she-cat with white stripes and ice-blue eyes

emberheart

firefoot

firestream

flareheart

frostflame

leafpaw-pale ginger tabby wit flame colored stripes, one ice blue eye and one leafy green eye, was named long after she was born

leopardflame

lightningbreeze

misty(loner-help plz! her apprentice name is either mistpaw or mistypaw)-blue-gray she-cat wit large frost colored star on her face, frost colored speckles near her eyes and piercing blue eyes

pebblefoot

rat-tail

roseflame

scarclaw

shadowstar-Black she-cat with a four-pointed star on her head with a five-pointed star inside it. One of her blue eyes is scratched to form a red x across it.

silverpool

whiteblaze

sunspots

tigerfrost

tigerstorm

4/8/2011 #209
Coldgaze

Kay, I'll post in a few minutes :)

4/8/2011 #210
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Waterpelt
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member