Frank and Nancy: The Couple That Never Could Be
This is for all of you Frank and Nancy fans! And I know you're out there. You can just pour your heart out about them and never mind how crazy it may sound! You're among friends in here!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Agent Striker

SPOLIER ALERT! SPOLIER ALERT! SPOIERS FOR SECRETS OF THE NILE! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

25 of the Most Adorable Moments That Kind of Make It Look Like Frank And Nancy Are In Love

From Secrets of the Nile by Carolyn Keene

1. Page 1:

Nancy Drew frowned as she listened to the message on her answering machine. She wondered what was going on with her old friend Frank Hardy; his usually calm voice had an uncharacteristic edge of urgency to it.

After peeling off her blue parka, Nancy picked up the phone and dialed Frank's number, which she knew by heart.

She knows how his voice sounds and she knows his number by heart.

2. Page 3:

Frank hesitated before replying. "The assignment is-you and I have to, um, pose as newlyweds. And Joe and Bess, too."

"What?" Nancy almost dropped the phone.

She makes him nervous(and vice versa)…especially when it comes to talking about that m word.

3. Pages 5-6:

Nancy didn't reply. She was used to being in dangerous situations. What she was really worried about was a totally different kind of danger.

She and Frank had always been attracted to each other; they'd even shared a passionate kiss once, when they were working together on a case. They were both dating other people though: Nancy had her boyfriend, Ned Nickerson, and Frank had his girlfriend Callie Shaw. Would she and Frank be able to handle posing as a couple-and a married couple at that? Nancy wondered.

She admits it!

4. Page 6:

As if reading her mind, Frank cleared his throat and said, "Hey Nancy? If the thing about playing my wife bothers you, well-"

"Oh, no," Nancy said quickly. "I'm fine with that. Really."

He reads her mind…and flusters her.

5. Page 8:

Frank glanced up. Nancy was heading in their direction, followed by Bess. When Nancy reached their table Frank stood up and gave her a big hug. He held her for a moment longer than necessary, but he couldn't help himself. He'd always had special feelings for her.

He admits it!

6. Page 28:

Frank reached for Nancy's hand. She felt her cheeks grow warm; Frank's touch had that effect on her.

It don't take much to make the Girl Detective blush…especially when a certain Boy Detective is around.

7. Pages 30-31:

Just then she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around and found herself staring up into Frank's handsome face. "Are you all right?" he asked quietly.

Frank was standing very close to her, and Nancy could feel her heart beating a little faster. Stop it, Drew, she told herself sternly. Stick to business.

He cares. He makes her heart beat faster. She notices that he's a lot taller than she is.

8. Page 32:

Then Joe's gaze moved to Frank and Nancy, who were standing at the front of Mrs. Peabody's group. They were dressed in the clothes Kimball had given them: Frank in a beige linen suit and white cotton shirt, Nancy in an elegant green dress. They were holding hands and whispering to each other, and for a moment Joe was almost convinced that they were a married couple.

Other people notice it.

9. Page 58:

"We found something, too," Frank said, fingering the cuff link in his pocket. "But you go first." He sat down on the floor next to Nancy.

Nancy held up a slender piece of copper wire. "I came across this in the lining of my suitcase. Or what's left of it, anyway."

Joe shrugged. "It's just a piece of wire. So?"

"So I see what Nancy's getting at," Frank said slowly.

He's polite to her. He wants to be near here. He knows how her mind works.

10. Page 61:

Frank smiled at her, and she smiled back. He was really glad that she'd decided to stay, for more reasons than he cared to admit.

Um, hello? He won't admit something. Wonder what that is.

11. Page 63:

Then her thoughts drifted to Frank. She felt ambivalent (unsure) about going on with the married-couple charade. On the one hand, she realized that it was the practical thing to do; after all, they couldn't risk getting caught with phony IDs. But on the other hand, pretending to be Frank's wife, being so close to him, was making her feel very mixed up. She was enjoying it way to much; every time he hugged her or held her hand, fireworks went off around her. But deep down, she also knew that their relationship could never go anywhere. She had Ned, and-

Fireworks about sums it up. Screw Ned and Callie.

12. Page 105:

He went up to Nancy and put his arm around her. Impulsively, Nancy gave him a hug.

Impulsive, huh? Well, let me just say that he wasn't Ned.

13. Page 107:

"Two reasons," Frank replied. "First of all, I don't like the idea of you and Bess running around Cairo on your own, especially after that phone call. And second, we're a married couple, remember? It might be good to spend some time together."

Nancy smiled at him. "As for your first reason, I appreciate the knight-in-shining-armor bit, but I can take care of myself."

Her knight-in-shining-armor back home might be turning out to be a loser in aluminum foil.

14. Pages 123-124:

He leaned back in his seat and stared out the window at the swaying palm trees and the dusty runway. The sun was setting, and the sky was filled with intense shades of pink and gold.

The he fixed his eyes on Nancy again. He couldn't help but notice how great she looked in her turquoise dress.

Stop it, Hardy, he told himself.

Keep it up, Hardy, keep it up!

15. Page 128:

"That we should start acting a little more like Cole and Rebecca Addison and less like Frank Hardy and Nancy Drew," Frank whispered in her ear. With that, he put his arm around Nancy and pulled her close.

Why don't Frank and Nancy act the same as Cole and Rebecca?

16. Page 135:

Joe looked at Frank meaningfully. "Speaking of being hung up on people, what about you and Nancy?"

Little brother just brought it out into the open…I really wish that Frank would just stop denying it.

17. Page 144:

"Oops, I almost forgot Cleopatra." She picked up a small cloth doll from her pillow. Frank had bought it for her at the Grand Hotel Misr gift shop in Cairo.

He buys her cute things.

18. Page 146:

"That's a great idea," Nancy said immediately. As much as she hated to admit it, she hadn't liked the thought of being away from Frank for the next few days. Plus, being on the steamer together would help the foursome keep up their married-couple disguise.

Anyone else think the second part sounds like it was half-heartedly tacked on?

19. Pages 151-152:

"Nancy? Nancy, can you hear me?"

Nancy tired to open her eyes, but it was impossible. She felt as though she were drowning in a thick black bog.

"Wake up, Nancy. It's me."

A warm, familiar hand was holding hers. Who is it? Nancy wondered groggily. And where am I?

She tried to open her eyes again, and this time Frank's face swam murkily into view.

"Frank?" she murmured weakly.

Frank broke into a smile. "Nancy-you're awake. You're okay." He leaned over and wrapped his arms around her and held her close.

Nancy closed her eyes for a moment, relishing the warmth of his touch. Then she pulled away guiltily. "Um, Frank? Where am I? And why does my head feel as if a bulldozer ran over it?"

Frank sat up. Nancy realized then that she was lying on a cot and he was perched on the edge of it.

I think than this is my favorite scene of the entire book…so far. ;]

20. Page 185:

Not that he'd slept much. He'd spent most of the night in the infirmary, sitting by Nancy's side to make sure she was okay.

Holding her hand and watching her sleep, he'd been amazed by his protective feelings toward her. It was almost as though he'd crossed the line from playing her husband to being her husband. He knew it was just a crazy fantasy; he was in love with Callie, and Nancy was in love with Ned. Yet being 'married' to Nancy for the past few days had had its effect on him. She was so much fun to be with, so smart, and so beautiful…More than once, he'd had to resist the impulse to take her into his arms and kiss her.

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE FRANK! DON'T RESIST!

21. Page 188:

He also wondered about Nancy, who was in the coffin next to his. He had a brief morbid thought that they would never see each other again, that this was it, and he was seized by rage and sadness. Now that death seemed so perilously close, he could no longer deny his feelings for her. If only he had told her-

'If only'; humph, you can say that again.

22. Page 191:

After he had untied Nancy, he hugged her tightly.

They can't keep their hands off each other (and not in a bad way).

23. Page 194:

Nancy noticed his right hand and turned it over in her own. "You really cut yourself up," she said softly.

He saw the troubled expression on her face. "I'm just glad I got out of there and that I was able to get you out of there, too," he murmured huskily. "I don't know what I would have done if anything would have happened to you."

Nancy stared at him. In the darkness of the cab their eyes met and held. Frank suddenly felt as though his hand was burning where she was touching him. Without thinking, without wanting to think, he bent closer to hers, until his lips were just a heartbeat away from hers…

Just then the cab came to a screeching halt, flinging Frank and Nancy forward. "Victoria Hotel," the driver announced.

Frank and Nancy turned away from each other. Both were blushing deeply.

Huskily? HOW CUTE IS THAT? Thanks so much taxi driver.

24. Page 207:

"Yes!" Nancy cried, grabbing Joe's arm. "You did it!"

Grinning, he stood up and gave Nancy a big hug. He'd never been so happy in his whole life. "We did it, Nancy. We killed the bomb."

"Hey, get your hands off my wife."

He's protective (but not in an overloaded way). A-DOOR-ABLE!

25. Pages 214-215:

"No, thanks," Frank replied. He touched Nancy's arm and pointed to the balcony. "You want to get a little air?"

"That would be great," Nancy told him.

The view from the balcony was breathtaking: the moon and the stars, the twinkling lights of Luxor, and the vast darkness of the desert beyond. There was a cool breeze, which made Nancy shiver.

"Cold?" Frank asked her, putting his arm around her.

"A little," Nancy admitted. She nestled closer to Frank, enjoying his warmth. "You know, I'm really glad that we caught Krieger and Mahfouz and found Darius and Leila, too. But I wish…" Her voice drifted off.

"What?" Frank nudged her gently.

"I wish that we didn't have to leave this place," Nancy admitted. She didn't tell him the real reason why-that she wasn't ready to say goodbye to him, to the special fantasy they'd shared of being husband and wife.

Frank didn't say anything, but instead turned Nancy around so that she was facing him. He put his hands on her shoulders and gazed deep into her eyes. Nancy began trembling all over, and not from the cold. Her thoughts were in a torrent-all she could think about was how desperately she wanted him to kiss her at that moment…

And then in a mad, heart-stopping moment, he drew her closer and their lips met.

The kiss seemed to go on forever. When Nancy finally pulled away, she whispered, "Frank…that is, what I mean is…the case is over. We don't need to pretend that we're a couple anymore."

"I wasn't pretending," Frank said slowly, taking her hands in his. "Were you?"

Nancy took a deep breath. "No," she said finally. "I wasn't pretending, either." Then she met his gaze. "We have to face reality, though. This relationship can't go anywhere. Ned and Callie are waiting for us back in the States."

Frank continued to stare at her for a long moment. "You're right, Nancy. As much as you mean to me, I'm in love with Callie."

"And I'm in love with Ned."

This makes me so mad. And so disgusted. I can't even begin to say how stupid this is. What was going on in the author's mind! And why do they have to keep telling themselves that they're in love with other people?

But there you have it, my favorite 25 moments from Secrets of the Nile…in the order they happened. And there you have my fav moments!!

~Agent Striker

7/25/2011 #1
lightwarai

Okay, Okay, I have to admit, I couldn't just IGNORE this post!

You are my FREAKING HERO! I loved and COMPLETELY agree with your comments ("Her knight-in-shining-armor back home might be turning out to be a loser in aluminum foil." Booyah!), loved all the moments you picked out (I had forgotten how many of them existed in the ONE book), and thank you tremendously for reminding me why I love Frank/Nancy so much!

Oh my dear, dear Frank and Nancy... you belong together... like cheese and crackers... like weekends and fun... like teachers and schools... you get the idea.

7/29/2011 #2
Agent Striker

I'm so glad that you liked it!!!!!! You're so nice to mee!!!!!

Thanks for making me smileeeeeee!!!

7/29/2011 #3
Princess In Love

Superbly Awesome.............

I haven't read the book,but I enjoyed this one so much.....

7/31/2011 #4
LazyPanther

Wow! I'd completely forgotten about all the little "moments" in this book! Thank you so much for putting them all in one succint post. :)

I remember when I used to buy a new ND/HB book and I would skim through the chapters looking specifically for the N/F moments - and subsequently ruining the mystery aspect of the book. But it was worth it!

I could've lived with them doing their whole "oh-but-we're-in-love-with-other-people" conversation if it hadn't been so FAKE! I mean, they spend the whole book all over each other and worrying about each other and thinking about how they don't want to be apart... but in two sentences they try to sweep that all under the rug. Grrrrrrrrr!

Now my N/F craving is back again...

8/24/2011 #5
lightwarai

LazyP - you and I must have been kindred spirits! I would sneak to the "Young Adults" fiction section at the bookstore to get the latest SuperMystery (not sure I was too old for that section or not.. but my mother wouldn't have been impressed!) and on the drive home, I'd skim through the entire book just looking for those moments! I'd have to re-read the book to actually enjoy the plot, and once in a while, I'd happen upon a moment that I had overlooked. Oh the joy!! :)

I remember when I got "Operation: Titanic" and how absolutely disappointed I was with the book. The three detectives are only together for a small bit in the book, and I think it took over half the book for them to even make contact! And there was NO ND/FH fluff at ALL. GRRRR...... inconsistencies.

8/24/2011 #6
LazyPanther

Lightwarai! :) Hi!

LOL! Yes, I did that too. We'd go to the library or a used bookstore and I'd disappear and "stealthily" find my way to the ND/HB section. Found out later, my mom knew what I was up to the whole time but she never called me out on it... Not that that would've stopped me!

"Operation: Titianic"... what a bummer. I think there was one small line that may have had some N/F overtones toward the end... but maybe that was wishful thinking.

Besides "Last Resort", my other favorite book for N/F is "Crime for Christmas". This forum has got me wanting to go through all my books and post all N/F moments I can find... Hmmmm....

8/25/2011 #7
Mrs. Frank Hardy

Last Resort and Crime for Christmas are now on my 'MUST-READ' list. Thanks! Any other really good N/F books?

9/15/2011 #8
LazyPanther

The Last Resort and Secrets of the Nile are definitely the top two books for diehard N/F fans. (SPOILER: These books contain the two canon "intimate moments" between them...)

Personally, my next favorites for N/F moments would be:

- Crime For Christmas (lots of N/F)

- Shock Waves (this one doesn't actually have a lot of romantic interaction between them but there are is a lot of jealous Nancy - even though Ned's there too)

- Dangerous Games (N/F and jealous!Ned)

- Buried In Time (a couple notable N/F moments, observations by Joe)

And there are others that aren't necessarily N/F books but they do have N/F overtones:

- Double Crossing/At All Costs/Tour of Danger/Hollywood Horror/Exhibition of Evil/High Survival (flirting)

- Dead On Arrival (jealous!Nancy, jealous!Ned, oblivious!Frank)

- Nightmare In New Orleans/Target For Terror (jealous!Nancy, awkward N/F)

- Paris Connection/High Stakes/Danger Down Under (moderate-to-mild jealous!Frank)

And these books were bummers, with little-to-no mention at all of N/F:

- New Year's Evil/Courting Disaster/Hits and Misses/Evil in Amsterdam/Copper Canyon Conspiracy/A Question of Guilt/Out of Control/Royal Revenge/Operation:Titanic/Process of Elimination/Passport to Danger/Islands of Intrigue/Murder on the Fourth of July/Desperate Measures

Hope that helps! :)

9/25/2011 #9
StoryGirl4121

lightwarai,

I have that book, and I was disapointed too. The whole time I was reading it I was just waiting for the cases to connect. And there was only that tiny part at the end where Nancy told Frank he could ask her to the dance. So disapointing, although I won't ditch the book completely do to the fact that I love all of the nancy/Hardy books where they are together.

But really, I know,right?

12/25/2012 #10
Agent Striker

I know this is like 3 years old, but I am starting to do the moments again with the books! The last few haven't had many, but Exhibition of Evil (which I'm currently reading) has some!

7/30/2013 #11
TrixieNancy124
Oh my goodness I just found this post and literally squealed as I read it. I love love this. Frank and Nancy are my childhood OTP. Thank you so much for sharing!
12/25/2019 #12
Forum Moderators: supernaturalsam
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member