Cats Rants
Got something about Cats you want to get off your chest? This is the place for you.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Ickle Putty Tat
I just don't get it. Why do people like writing about them? Heck, it think it takes all the fun out of the stories.
8/15/2006 #1
Alex0821
I rarely read stories about original characters, just because they often end up being Mary-sues. However, that isn't to say that all made-ups are mary-sues; it just happens more often than not.
8/15/2006 #2
Ickle Putty Tat
To be honest, I think some people just don't realise they're writing Mary Sues. If ever I add my own characters, I like to make them kittens - young kittens - that way I avoid the risk.
8/16/2006 #3
Bomba-Fae
Me too. I think in some cases original character's are a good idea, and in other cases there not. Like in eyes of the moonlight fic and in alot of other fic's on the site (man I hate using my idea's'/stories because it makes me sound like I love myself... Really I'm not trying to do that I just don't know what else to use as an example lol)it's o.k. because the original character is a minor role or a kitten of one of the actual character's. I have to also get this off my chest. I HATE it in CATs when a character is paired up with an original char. I just hate it. It has mary sue written all over it even if the character isn't themself a mary sue. Read my profile for more info... I don't know but that really alway's bothered me. I mean the CATS character's were created for a purpose; and also to have relation's with the cats IN the tribe. Not saying that you can't have another cat paried up with someone it's just that it's alway's predictable. Because you know who they are eventually going to end up with. NO matter WHAT happens.
8/22/2006 #4
Bomba-Fae
Me too. I think in some cases original character's are a good idea, and in other cases there not. Like in eyes of the moonlight fic and in alot of other fic's on the site (man I hate using my idea's'/stories because it makes me sound like I love myself... Really I'm not trying to do that I just don't know what else to use as an example lol)it's o.k. because the original character is a minor role or a kitten of one of the actual character's. I have to also get this off my chest. I HATE it in CATs when a character is paired up with an original char. I just hate it. It has mary sue written all over it even if the character isn't themself a mary sue. Read my profile for more info... I don't know but that really alway's bothered me. I mean the CATS character's were created for a purpose; and also to have relation's with the cats IN the tribe. Not saying that you can't have another cat paried up with someone it's just that it's alway's predictable. Because you know who they are eventually going to end up with. NO matter WHAT happens.
8/22/2006 #5
Ickle Putty Tat
There's only one room for a Mary Sue in the tribe and that is Bombalurina. Also, any new one added by other people upsets the whole balance of the tribe.
9/1/2006 #6
Miss Tinkerbell
I don't get how Bombalurina is a Mary Sue....expliquez moi sil vous plait..
9/3/2006 #7
Ickle Putty Tat
Most of the toms fancy her.
9/3/2006 #8
Dahlia Mockery
I agree with you about the Mary Sues and OC. See, if the OC plays a small yet slightly important part, then it's okay. However, this one girl keeps on posting stories about her stupid OC and the stories have hardly anything to do with the orginal Jellicles!
9/25/2006 #9
Miss Tinkerbell
I've noticed! They are ok stories...but you're right, nothing to do with the original Jellicles.
9/26/2006 #10
Dahlia Mockery
She also acts like everyone should know who the charecter is! Hello, we don't!
9/26/2006 #11
Bomba-Fae
And once again it's a stupid orginal character who is mated to a jellicle. I CAN'T STAND IT! And I'm sorry if I just judged whats her face (Imaria something) on her story that IS suppose to have to original jellicle's in it; but right now has mainly her OWN character's in it. I just usually skim through the stories and it ovbouisly didn't have enough for me to think it was about the original jellicle's because I couldn't find one thing the first time. NOW she's flamming me back and personally I'm sick of it. I can't stand it anymore.
9/26/2006 #12
Dahlia Mockery
The CATS section is slowly dying.
9/26/2006 #13
Miss Tinkerbell
I know!! I keep trying to write my story Kittens at the moment but I'm being interrupted by Drama Rehearsals for my play, homework, swimming and Personal Project....gah....
9/27/2006 #14
Ickle Putty Tat
Yeh, me soooo busy at the moment, I must have fifty story ideas that I haven't been able to write 'cause I was too busy! If your having trouble with this writer, why don't you let FanFiction know. Take some action instead of just sitting there complaining, that way, something can be done.
9/28/2006 #15
Bomba-Fae
Believe me I have told FFN but honestly do you actually think they'll do anything? WIth all the stuff that they get complaints on I don't think they'll actually do anything for everything if that makes any sence. I've been SOOO buysy it's scary. I don't have time to write at all but I always can manage to find time to read through a story or something; just not to write. O well.
9/28/2006 #16
Dahlia Mockery
This is one of the reason I've changed over to St. James Street.
9/28/2006 #17
Miss Tinkerbell
What is St. James Street? Excuse the ignorance
9/30/2006 #18
Dahlia Mockery
This amazing CATS fan fiction archive!
9/30/2006 #19
Miss Tinkerbell
OOOOO I must check this out! Thanks ever so much!
9/30/2006 #20
Maudey
You know what the really sad part is, the St. James' Street is also dying... Anyways, I personally like ff.net because I'm able to review stories.
12/4/2006 #21
Dahlia Mockery
See, I wish I could create something like ff.net but people are acutally watching the site and remove stuff that doesn't belong! Not to mention, everyone can openly express what they feel about the fan fic.
12/4/2006 #22
Ickle Putty Tat
Eh?
12/5/2006 #23
Maudey
Someone would sort through the stuff who knew the musical, and as long as it was somewhat decent (i.e no mary-sues, a regard for grammer, so on and so forth) but people could still review.
12/6/2006 #24
Maudey
You know what irritates me? When a good author unknowingly writes a Mary-Sue. It absolutely drives me insane. A girl recently posted a story that had excellent voice and word choice, but she had written a complete Mary-Sue! It also irritates me how people seem to write stories about OC's that have no connection to the tribe whatsoever. I mean, at least with the son or daughter of a canon character, there is involvement of the other, familiar characters, but with some stories, the characters were born outside the tribe and join it later on. The story is about their life though, almost making it an original fiction!
12/18/2006 #25
Dahlia Mockery
That's another thing too! I would like to see some fan fics that star the Jellicles childern like Demeter and Munkustrap's, Admetus and Tantomile's, etc. However, the problem is that the person will focus too much on the kitten and not enough on the other Jellicles that were origanlly created. It's a good idea but people have to try and go with it to make sure they don't develop a Mary-Sue and/or Gary Stu.
12/18/2006 #26
Miss Tinkerbell
I wrote an OC in my story...I am prepared to ridicule her....hehe...I feel sooo evil...But actually I don't think she'll do much in the story, maybe be the antagonist...
12/19/2006 #27
Maudey
Oh yes! Dutchess! You were the only author I know who after my review (of which I was sure would be met with tons of protest, nothing personal on your part, just gathered from experience) came back and did something extremely beneficial about it! Kudos to you! Anyways, yes, the only person who I think has ever written an decent OC and based an entire story aroung her is Attila. Someone really should write a story about their children...but it's hard because, like you said, it's important to include the other characters, otherwise the reader will just lose interest. I should try that sometime...I wouldn't trust myself though...you know, I was reading on a story of who I complained to the author of having a Mary-sue that she thought Bombalurina was a Mary-sue...honestly, some people in the fandom are absolutely clueless to the core. Bombalurina is practically a (okay, I shouldn't say that considering it could be considered bad language, but...) I mean, honestly, she has only all the toms in the junkyard drooling over her while SHE LEADS THEM ON. On top of that, she's no where near a goody-two shoes, considering she's nasty to some cats and completely rejects Grizabella.
12/21/2006 #28
Miss Tinkerbell
Hehe, yes that's me!! I was quite surprised myself when I took your advice so well. But after reading a few other fanfics in this gallery then I realised my mistake...Now I just need to figure out my next chapter....might take a while though... I agree about Bombalurina, although she is one of my favourite characters...I think she's likeable because of her flirtiness (if that isn't a word it is now). I found the best story though that completely ridicules Mary-Sues!! It's called Mary Sue Who? and its by The Sentinent Wolf...ok so it's not Cats, but its hilarious!!
12/21/2006 #29
Maudey
If you want CATS mary-sue riddicule, read this story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2206469/1/ many good stories including made up MS and how they are delt with!^^
12/22/2006 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Ickle Putty Tat
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member