Dib: Earth's Hero
Hey there, this forum is all about our favorite jr. paranormal investigator. Sure, few to none earthlings on the show like him, but he has some obsessed fans out here! Come on in, I know you want to, I can see it in your eyes!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
tere moto the sentry

Hey, Merry X-mas to all (albeit a bit early).

12/23/2008 #61
Erin Nightshade

Hello! I'm here because....I LOVES DIB SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! *FLAILS AROUND IN MID AIR* Okay....I'll be fine....sort of. Okay, I'm a big fan. Dib is cute. I think he's cute. His name is even cute. DIB.DIB.DIB.DIB. Okay, you get the point. He is the best! BESTEST EVER! *Hugs Dib* I LOVES HIM! I DO. I've basically seen EVERY freaking episode of IZ. And I watch episodes online like 5 times a day. I randomly quote stuff from the show too. I actually believe aliens exsist. I made a friend of mine watch a show on UFO'S. I DID. No kidding. Paranormal stuff is SWEET! I like weird stuff like that. Haha.

I want Dib's t-shirt. It's so cool! I just want a giant plushy doll of him, so I can hug it! Dib ROCKS! He's our only hope of survival and for the life of me, I don't understand why everyone treats him like crap. He's INTELLIGENT! I LOVE HIM! *falls over from lack of oxygen*

I'll be fine! :D

4/8/2009 #62
Dibsthe1

Glad to see you here, Erin! The fandom can always use another Dib fan.

It's even better to meet another Dib fan who DOESN'T believe in treating him like crap. I've been on this site for over four years now, and several times I very nearly left in utter disgust over how he is typically treated.

Since joining this fandom, I've read more about ghosts and possible extra-terrestrial life than I ever read before.

Are you okay? ;-)

4/16/2009 #63
MissMune

Hey, Erin! Welcome, indeed.

Speaking of Dib being treated like crap, anyone else think that Dib is The Woobie? (If you don't know what that is, look it up on tvtropes.org. If you don't feel like doing that, it basically refers to a character whose misery inspires sympathy in the audience.) At least one person on tvtropes does: "Dib. No, really. His sister is abusive and his father is neglectful and belittling towards his passions. He's bullied constantly by the very people he tries to save. All of his friends, mentors and allies either are completely useless or one by one abandon him and leave him even worse off than he was before. His rival has done numerous things to him that, all considering, are pretty harsh for a kid's show until you remember who made it. AND he has a horrible nightmare world in his head. While at first he just seems to get angry or more determined because of all that he has to overcome, over the course of the show he starts to seem more and more worn down and desperate. If canonical evidence isn't enough, fanfiction certainly plays up the angst in his life."

I have to agree with this... and it just makes me want to hug him. Which I guess would be the point, if Dib were The Woobie.

And are we talking about the Paranormal? Don't get me started on the Paranormal, I can jabber on for hours. ;3 Heh, but really, I don't know if this fandom made me more interested in the Paranormal than I was before. I can't exactly remember when I got obsessed with it, but it's been for a while. Right now, I have a huge stack of books on the subject next to my computer. Oh, and if anyone would like a recommendation for an excellent book on the Paranormal, I'd recommend Unexplained! by Jerome Clark. It just totally covers the board on phenomena, from Cryptozoology to Falls from the Sky. Also, it has a section called "Things That Are Not" covering debunked phenomena, which I think is important, as the purpose of Paranormal investigation is not only to prove that things exist, but to also expose the frauds. People tend to forget that.

4/16/2009 #64
Erin Nightshade

Thank you, Dibsthe1!

I'm glade to be apart of the Dib-fandom. I love Dib and I completely understand everything through Dib's perspective. If you were the only person who knew Earth would one day be endangered and you were the only person everybody turned their back on because they didn't believe you, if you were neglected and treated unfairly by every one, but you didn't give up no matter what, and you stuck with your believes and know you you're doing the right thing, then you can fight through whatever your faced with and be able to go to bed and know the next morning, you're still alive. Dib is that person.If I could, I would stand beside him and cheer him on. He needs someone on his side. He needs someone to believe in him.

Sorry. But I'm get so damn passionate sometmes. Dib has been my favorite since my friend, Kayla, got me into the show when we were in Highschool. My friend moved away, so I have tried to say positive and think like Dib. It makes me sad because I miss her. She liked GIR and we had a sort of mutual agreement about Zim. But I was a total DIB fan. Dib makes me happy. Everything he does is completely and utterly cute. I love his different facial expressions. I want to hug him he's so GREAT!

I came up with a new word to add to the dictionary: DIBNESS.

I have not yet come up with the meaning for it yet. Though if you want an idea: Dib + greatness + awesomeness + cuteness + smartness = DIBNESS.

You can all stare at me now because I'm probably just as crazy or just as weird. I won't be offended, promise. I've been called worse. Anyway, I think watching stuff on anything Paranormal is great. I was drawing IZ fanart, while watching a show on UFO's, while on my computer, all at the same time once. I completely realized who I was imitating. I thought it was funny. And I was obviously so interested in the show that I had to laugh afterwards. I'm not as smart as Dib but I pretty much would hang out with him. I was pretty much doing what he would normally be doing anyway.

I bet being a Paranormal Investigator would be awesome! I would so dress like Dib. I love his outfit by the way. I have everything, I just need his t-shirt. If I had his t-shirt, I would so wear it everyday...FOREVER!

Wow...I'm obsessed. I'm actually sitting at my lap top right now typing this. Oh and I talk to myself...sometimes...out loud too. But that's besides the point. And...I'm doing it again, I'm ranting! Sound familiar? Haha!

I LOVE DIB! ^ _ ^

4/16/2009 #65
tere moto the sentry

Glad this forum is still alive.

And I know! He is so cute! He's so dorky-looking, but somehow cute at the same time!

And his t-shirt is at Hot Topic.

4/18/2009 #66
Dibsthe1

Yeah, it went really quiet there for a while.

But it.. it.. IT'S ALIVE!

4/20/2009 #67
Erin Nightshade

I couldn't believe it when I found this. I was like...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! YAY! ^ _ ^

I'm so happy.

You guys are so lucky we aren't talking about the Tallest though......OTHER WISE I'D RANT FOR 8 HOURS STRAIGHT! I LOVE THEM!!!!

*coughs*

Anyway....YAYNESS FOR DIB-CHAT!!!! ^ _ ^

4/20/2009 #68
Dibsthe1

Speaking of Dib being treated like crap, anyone else think that Dib is The Woobie? (If you don't know what that is, look it up on tvtropes.org. If you don't feel like doing that, it basically refers to a character whose misery inspires sympathy in the audience.) At least one person on tvtropes does: "Dib. No, really. His sister is abusive and his father is neglectful and belittling towards his passions. He's bullied constantly by the very people he tries to save. All of his friends, mentors and allies either are completely useless or one by one abandon him and leave him even worse off than he was before. His rival has done numerous things to him that, all considering, are pretty harsh for a kid's show until you remember who made it. AND he has a horrible nightmare world in his head. While at first he just seems to get angry or more determined because of all that he has to overcome, over the course of the show he starts to seem more and more worn down and desperate. If canonical evidence isn't enough, fanfiction certainly plays up the angst in his life."

I have to agree with this... and it just makes me want to hug him. Which I guess would be the point, if Dib were The Woobie.

Well, WE react to him the same way, so WE Get what you're saying. However, I only wish I could say this was the general case outside this forum.

Unfortunately, the typical reaction could not be farther away from the one you just described. Many (including some who claim to be fans of Dib) all too often view his senseless torment AS the "punchline," as an end in and of itself. I swear, some of them would rather read a fic about, or see a drawing of, Dib being brutally, viciously tortured than win the lottery.

For a Dib fan of our ilk, the only thing more unpleasant to read than some of these fics are some of the reviews. I won't name names, but I'm certain you all know exactly what I'm talking about. That's the reason I'm already half out of this fandom half the time.

I can't help wondering who did post that bit on tvtropes.com; I'd like to shake his or her hand.

If anyone would like a recommendation for an excellent book on the Paranormal, I'd recommend Unexplained! by Jerome Clark. It just totally covers the board on phenomena, from Cryptozoology to Falls from the Sky. Also, it has a section called "Things That Are Not" covering debunked phenomena, which I think is important, as the purpose of Paranormal investigation is not only to prove that things exist, but to also expose the frauds. People tend to forget that.

That is so true! (And almost verbatim out of the Chickenfoot episode.) It is not an either/or thing, as most people think. Assuming these phenomena are real, there can also be a false alarm (as in, "There really is a ghost in this hotel, but you just saw that curtain flapping.") or a miss (someone sees the Loch Ness monster but thinks it's just some driftwood). For the record, this is covered under "signal theory" and the four possibility grid also applies when a doctor is looking for a patient's pulse. If the pulse is there, the doctor either detects it or misses it; if it is not there, the doctor will probably not detect one, but they get false alarms here too.

Thanks for the book recommendation. It's fairly easy to find a book on the paranormal, but finding a good, even-handed and level-headed one is a lot harder.

4/20/2009 #69
Dibsthe1

You're welcome. :)

There's a movie out right now that sort of reminds me of being in Dib's position, of knowing the world is in danger but no one believes you. It's called "Knowing." Have you seen it?

I love your definition of "Dibness!" I first saw IZ at work, believe it or not, while working at an animation studio.

Spoken like a true fan! What show were you watching? Discovery channel has a couple of series about ghosts and cryptozoology, "A Haunting" and "The Lost Tapes." They recently showed a program about how these UFO sightings could actually be government flight tests of top secret aircraft taken from blueprints confiscated from the Nazis.

I've gone out as Dib for the past five Halloweens, and I wear my black trenchcoat whenever the weather permits!

4/20/2009 #70
tere moto the sentry

I have not yet come up with the meaning for it yet. Though if you want an idea: Dib + greatness + awesomeness + cuteness + smartness = DIBNESS.

Mmmm-hmmm!!! *claps*

There's a movie out right now that sort of reminds me of being in Dib's position, of knowing the world is in danger but no one believes you. It's called "Knowing." Have you seen it?

Do you just look on the Internet at these things or do a lot of American movies make their way to S. Korea rapidly?

5/22/2009 #71
Plunderer01

I know this thread is kinda dead, but, um, Dib rocks. Woots.

7/7/2009 #72
tere moto the sentry

*nods*

7/9/2009 #73
Plunderer01

Hey tere!

This is kinda off topic, but I cannot, for the life of me, find any Dib related sew-on patches. Scoured the internet, and found almost the entire cast in various forms (hell, I even found one of Ms. Bitters). Nothing. At. All.

Naturally, I'm frustrated. My canvas bag cannot go Dib-less.

So my question is this...

Do you (or any other posters here) think I've completely lost my mind by teaching myself embroidary, spending days on fine stitching, spending too much money on silk floss to create a small 3 inch patch?

7/9/2009 #74
tere moto the sentry

P01, I would imagine it's hard to be a h*** fan of a cartoon character without losing your mind a little...XD

That's a lot of work (**, but it's a sign of your fan-love for Dib. If this is your thing, I say go 4 it!

I'm guessing you're a newer Dib fan? Because it seems you've been here for quite a long time, and I've never seen you around on the IZ forums.

7/12/2009 . Edited 7/12/2009 #75
Dibsthe1

"Lost your mind"? I'd ask you to sew one FOR me and pay you for your time and materials!

No patches of Dib but patches of everyone else. Outrageous.

7/13/2009 #76
tere moto the sentry

Even Ms. Bitters...

I luv seeing this forum picking up again.

7/13/2009 #77
Plunderer01

Hello! It's fantastic to talk to you both! I've been on a university trip for the past week, and have returned just tonight. Geologic fieldwork and camping in the mountains are tiring activities! Oi!

Tere,

I'm actually a long time Dib fan, although one could hardly tell by my past habits on this site. I don't write much (obviously) and I'm the master of internet lurking. Even though I'm a strong Dib fan, I waver in and out of fan-related activity due to whatever real life constrants are thrown my way. I've recently come back to IZ in general, and am now wanting to improve on what FF.net has been offering of late (in no small part inspired by yours and Dibsthe1's conversations) by starting to write again. I shudder to read of the 'romances' and uber violence that peppers the 'newer' works of this fandom. (Newer meaning since I last posted in 2006ish, hah! Also, I realized just how much I dislike Gaz. Screw her.)

I'm glad to see the forum alive again too! :)

Dibsthe1,

I'll show you a pic of the Dib patch when complete. It'll take a while, as I've never done anything quite like it before. We'll see how it turns out. Cross your fingers!

And yes, even Ms. Bitters. I was pissed to see that one. Regardless of his popularity, Dib's a freaking main character, for God's sake. Is it really that much trouble to rev up the industrial embroidery machine and crank a few out?

7/17/2009 . Edited 7/17/2009 #78
Dibsthe1

Reaches out to shake your hand... talk about striking GOLD!

7/18/2009 #79
Plunderer01

*shakes hand* You are too kind.

I'm going to try my best to write something good, but it may not necessarily be Dib-centric, although the fic I'm working on involves him a lot. Does anyone here want to beta for me? I'm having trouble with word flow. Also, it's only three tiny paragraphs so far.

Patch update: Ran out of black floss, and drove around to three different fabric stores to find more. Who woulda thunk black was so popular? :P

7/18/2009 #80
Dibsthe1

I've betaed before, sure.

I've become extremely wary about reading anything from THIS section, but everything you've just said about IZ fics tells me there shouldn't be any problem!

Sorry to hear it's so difficult to find black! It's a basic color and people use it for outlines and anything they want to make sure shows up; I guess that's why.

7/18/2009 #81
Plunderer01

Ha, I'll do my best! I try to never post something I think sucks...because there's already enough people posting their own stuff that they think sucks, of which we are graciously informed. Blah. No stronger turn-off.

Additionally, do you or tere have any ideas for a fic that you would like to see written? Short of my current story, I'm having trouble coming up with ideas.

Well, if Dib didn't wear so much darned black....it's all his fault! TOURTURE HIMZ!!!!1eleventy

7/18/2009 #82
Plunderer01

Hi everyone! I have just found something I had lost a long time ago - my Dib necklace! It's amazing what can happen when you clean your house once every 2 years!

Check it out, sorry for the poor quality photo.

7/21/2009 #83
Plunderer01

Patch update : It's going well, but very slow. His hair and part of his trench coat is finished. I'm a bit concerned about getting the right thread to match the shade of his skin. I might have to compromise, and go one hue lighter or mix threads. I am actually surprised how well it's coming along - historically I have always been poor at crafts. The fact that all the training videos I've watched on-line are all demonstrated by right-handed individuals (unsurprisingly) makes me doublily amazed at my current success.

Hope to hear from y'all soon!

7/29/2009 #84
tere moto the sentry

So you're a fellow lefty? Sweet! *hi-fives with left hand*

7/30/2009 #85
Plunderer01

You too? Cool!

Dib-lefty-fans unite! *lefty high fives back*

7/31/2009 #86
Plunderer01

Patch "update" of sorts.

Ok, I have bad news and I have good news. In order to tell you the good news, I have to tell the bad news first.

The bad news is that the hand-embroidery project, while it goes well, is never going to be more that just an - well, embroidery project. It will not make a good patch, but will make a good thing to throw up on dA for pageviews or whatever.

Now for the good news! The good news is that I caught up with an online friend after a few years...and she takes requests (for payment) for making patches and things with her embroidery machine. That being said, I commissioned her to make this

I am SO HAPPY.

9/7/2009 #87
Jazein

Extreme weather conditions, changing agricultural yields and increase in the disease vectors are some of the other effects of global warming. Deforestation, being the primary reason behind global warming, we need to show greater concern towards the felling of trees. We need to take quick measures on preventing deforestation so that we can hope for an environment conducive to live in.Clearing of the forest cover has a contrary effect on the environment. It results in an increase in the amount of carbon and other greenhouse gases in the environment. Burning of forests results in the emission of a large amount of carbon dioxide into the air. Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases like the oxides of nitrogen and methane are known to trap atmospheric heat, thus increasing the average temperature of the Earth's surface. This increase in the temperature near the Earth's surface and oceans is termed as global warming. Trees play a vital role in the equilibrium of the ecosystem. Deforestation is a process of cutting trees to make space for pastures or for industries and households of the ever-increasing human population. Excessive cutting of trees for urban use and other purposes is detrimental to the environmental balance. It is needless to say that deforestation has several adverse effects on the environment.

8/8/2010 #88
MissMune

Thank you, Jazein, for being so on topic.

I, too, think that Dib would care about the deforestation of the world's trees. He cares very much about the Earth, and would no doubt object to seeing its resources abused so flagrantly! Not to mention its affect on the environment needlessly endangers the very people that he seeks to protect! Your post truly highlights the fact that, not only does Dib need to protect Earthings from outside Invaders, but also from themselves.

8/8/2010 #89
CloudCuckooSquirrel

My favorite... no, most beloved Invader Zim character has lovers like me. This is soooo good to know 3

10/31/2010 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Deyinel
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member