Dib: Earth's Hero
Hey there, this forum is all about our favorite jr. paranormal investigator. Sure, few to none earthlings on the show like him, but he has some obsessed fans out here! Come on in, I know you want to, I can see it in your eyes!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »
Invader Griz Jau and Rel

I didn't used to like Dib, but then I read Paranormal Angel by tere moto the sentry. I loved it and it made me read more things where Dib was more like a person I could relate to than just some kid trying to expose Zim and get him disected. I HAVE to thank you for that tere. You opened my eyes to the truth about Dib and I now realize there are many similarities in him and me.

6/5/2011 #91
tere moto the sentry

WOW. I changed your mind about Dib? That just made me feel all warm and happy inside. Thanks! X)

9/10/2011 #92
Invader Griz Jau and Rel

You're welcome. After reading Paranormal Angel I realized just how much I have in common with Dib. It's almost freaky!

9/11/2011 #93
LaynThePurpleRaccoonGirl

Out of all the IZ character fandoms, we tend to be the most in-depth(or at least the real Dib-fans are...), beacause we tend to relate to that feeling of rejection, not-fitting-in and having an uncalled-for and undeserved reputation. We still have that special(how should I put this...)...touch, of crazy fangirl/fanboyism, but our deep/insightful side tends to be a whole lot more pronounced than most.

9/17/2011 #94
Invader Griz Jau and Rel

I know what you mean.

9/17/2011 #95
AspenTree97

Hey P01, I suggest that anytime you embroider any thing, buy more thread than you need. I don't know how to embroider, but my mom knits. Trying to find an exact color match to something when you run out is extremely frustrating. At least, it seems frustrating. I don't have enough patience to sit still and do something, unless it's reading.

10/3/2011 #96
3vilcatlady
Is this forum dead? I hope not! Anyway, yeah. Dib's my favorite cartoon character. It's weird, though, that I like him so much, I sometimes act as if he were a real person. Wow. That sounds crazy, doesn't it? And whenever he gets bullied by his classmates or neglected by his Dad, I start feeling REALLY bad for him. And hating other characters for mistreating him. This may sound messed up, but sometimes, I wish I could just give him a hug. I think he needs one. But at the same time, I admire how he never seems too depressed or bitter about it for long, unlike Bella Swan (despite his many good reasons to be). BTW, Bella is my least favorite fictional character. Ever. Anyway, he... I don't know. Dib is so... optimistic and perseverent. He's never going to give up trying to save humanity, whether they want him to or not. I greatly envy his ability to always... keep his head up. Also, I can relate to him in many ways. For example, we're both pretty much at the same popularity level. Although I DO have SOME friends I talk to at school, not very many people like me that much. People see me as a fat and ugly retard. It's a pain in the a** for me to find a seat on the bus sometimes, as just a handful of kids on there wouldn't mind me sitting over there by them. We both rant, which is what I'm doing right now. We are also both kinda geek-ish, but in a good way (in my opinion). The paranormal seems pretty cool to me. Yup! That means I believe in aliens! And ghosts! And bigfeets (IZ nerd alert XD)! We both wear glasses (wow, how significant XD), too! Like him. I can be submissive to my younger sibling most of the time (only I have a brother, and he's much less scary). I talk to myself A LOT. I am a Team Dib girl! d:
4/25/2012 #97
AspenTree97

Wow, did I just find my long-lost twin?

4/28/2012 #98
3vilcatlady

*shrugs* *Gir style* I... don't... KNOW! XD

4/28/2012 #99
AspenTree97

I don't either!

5/2/2012 #100
3vilcatlady

Let's find out!

Here's a test:

1. Does Twilight suck?

2. Is Rihanna a good musician?

3. Peeta or Gale?

4. Coke or Pepsi?

5. Heels or Vans (the shoe)?

Ok, now that THAT'S over, um.... derp. XD

And I STILL can't highlight my text! XO - screaming emoticon, hehe

I'm not trying to be funny (but this probably will be to some of you anyway), but don't you notice the differences between Dib and Candace from Phineas & Ferb? And the shows in general! They're both alike in so many ways!

5/2/2012 #101
3vilcatlady

I meant similarities! I'm so brain-dead from school that I made a typo! GRRR!

5/2/2012 #102
AspenTree97

A van is a type of shoe? What will they think of next...

5/14/2012 #103
3vilcatlady
Only God knows... XD Hey, what if there was an IZ movie? Who would play Dib? I think Liam Hemsworth would look hot in a trench... :D *drool*
6/4/2012 #104
AspenTree97

If there was a movie, Jhonen Vasquez would kill himself if it wasn't animated. Who's Liam Hemsworth?

6/25/2012 #105
3vilcatlady
Guy who played Gale in "The Hunger Games".
6/25/2012 #106
Feather32

Well this thread looks like it's dying, but I have to post on it anyway. Dib was my favorite character from the first time I watched IZ back when it first aired yes showing my age a bit here, but anyway. I recently watched all the episodes over again and my favorite episode is Spooky Spectacular of Doom any guess as to why? :P

7/2/2012 #107
3vilcatlady
Uh... It was creepy? It implied vague ZaDf?
7/2/2012 #108
Feather32

Both reasons actually. :) Just read the unaired episode scripts to wish they had gotten animated. :(

7/2/2012 #109
AspenTree97

Unaired episode scripts?! Who are you and how have you obtained this information?!?!

7/9/2012 #110
Feather32

The wonders of the google search. :)

7/9/2012 #111
AspenTree97

Oh*facepalm*...now I feel stupid.

7/11/2012 #112
Feather32

Don't feel stupid now. It happens.

7/11/2012 #113
AspenTree97

I know. I just forget that I can search for stuff like that. I forget just how big the internet is.

7/12/2012 #114
ClassicEye
Is this forum dead? I hope not! Anyway, yeah. Dib's my favorite cartoon character. It's weird, though, that I like him so much, I sometimes act as if he were a real person. Wow. That sounds crazy, doesn't it? And whenever he gets bullied by his classmates or neglected by his Dad, I start feeling REALLY bad for him. And hating other characters for mistreating him. This may sound messed up, but sometimes, I wish I could just give him a hug. I think he needs one. But at the same time, I admire how he never seems too depressed or bitter about it for long, unlike Bella Swan (despite his many good reasons to be). BTW, Bella is my least favorite fictional character. Ever. Anyway, he... I don't know. Dib is so... optimistic and perseverent. He's never going to give up trying to save humanity, whether they want him to or not. I greatly envy his ability to always... keep his head up. Also, I can relate to him in many ways. For example, we're both pretty much at the same popularity level. Although I DO have SOME friends I talk to at school, not very many people like me that much. People see me as a fat and ugly retard. It's a pain in the a** for me to find a seat on the bus sometimes, as just a handful of kids on there wouldn't mind me sitting over there by them. We both rant, which is what I'm doing right now. We are also both kinda geek-ish, but in a good way (in my opinion). The paranormal seems pretty cool to me. Yup! That means I believe in aliens! And ghosts! And bigfeets (IZ nerd alert XD)! We both wear glasses (wow, how significant XD), too! Like him. I can be submissive to my younger sibling most of the time (only I have a brother, and he's much less scary). I talk to myself A LOT. I am a Team Dib girl! d:

I don't think you sound crazy at all. Jhonen has said he finds stories interesting when you're in a place where you don't know what or how people will react or a place where things don't really add up. I think that shows through with Dib, as a character we can relate to and is surrounded by idiots who always seem more normal than "you." But I do love how up-beat his moral is, everyone has a dream. I kind of touch on that with my story. How no mater what Dib does, he won't be recognized because of his... "craziness" yet he still tries to save the earth regardless.

8/26/2012 . Edited 8/26/2012 #115
AspenTree97

*tear* How beautiful... *begins sobbing uncontrollably*

(and honestly, I did forget about this forum because of stuff at school and such.)

1/3/2013 #116
3vilcatlady

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I mean, there's reasons I put in that lengthy post for Dib being my favorite character. But it's mainly because he seems like someone we can relate to, like you said. Sure, everyone likes Gir and Zim because they're "cute" and "funny" (including me, I'm not gonna lie), but I think what makes a good character is for you to be able to see some of yourself in him/her. He seems like the most three-dimensional, well-developed character on the show.

I've noticed that most children's shows base their characters on cheap stereotypes: mathaholic nerds, petty teenage girls, and overweight people who don't want to get off of the couch. But not Dib, really. Usually, heroes with a similar background like his tend to be portrayed as overly serious, jaded, and overall hardass-ish. They are always hell-bent on catching the bad guy and succeed one-hundred percent of the time. I think Dib is more realistic, because although he does have that stubborn focus on catching Zim, is a member of an alien-hunting espionage group, and is a natural when it comes to advanced computer technology, in the end, he's still just a kid. He still has to go to school, he still loves and needs his family (although they may ignore him most of the time), and he still fails (often).

However, what keeps him from being so depressing is his ability to bounce back and try again. To quote a taekwondo instructor I once had, he "gets knocked down seven times and gets back up eight". I think we can all agree that's what makes him such an admirable character.

1/3/2013 #117
AspenTree97

Jhonen has even said he put a little of himself into Dib. That may be why we can all relate to Dib so easily.

1/4/2013 #118
3vilcatlady

True dat.

1/4/2013 #119
AspenTree97

What happened to this forum? I mean, there used to be tons of people here, and now, nearly none.

It's so sad!

1/7/2013 #120
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »
Forum Moderators: Deyinel
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member