Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Vesper Mucha

I use to be a Zutara fan but i had never watched the show all the way so i didnt know the back story, when i actually watched the whole series, i was like, aang and katara? Kinda cute. I have no real beef with either paring, since that (for me) isnt what the series is about (and i may have just insulted a bunch of you and for that i'm sorry)

But i was being my usual weird self and i looked up the numbers of the parings.

So Kataang:

fanart (from deviantart)= 20 768 images

fanfiction=94 pages

Zutara:

fanart= 27 117

fanfiction= 161 pages

I mean, why does it (appear at least) that the zutara which isnt cannon have a larger fan contributions than the cannon, and before anyone says it was still bigger when they hadnt confirmed who the cannon would be (i found this out when i was still a zutara)

So, I know those numbers dont mean that they in the end of a bigger fanbase (i know contridicting my self) but at the very least on fanfiction they seem to have a bigger fanbase, whats so attractive about the couple?

6/27/2009 #1
Son Kenshin

Its because most of the fanbase are stupid, 15 year old girls who have no idea what a good relationship is and that they always go after what is hot. Dark Guy and Light Girl is always 'hot' and they always believe that 'opposites attract' is a good basis for a relationship.

6/27/2009 #2
Grand Warlock Naarghul

Its because most of the fanbase are stupid, 15 year old girls who have no idea what a good relationship is and that they always go after what is hot. Dark Guy and Light Girl is always 'hot' and they always believe that 'opposites attract' is a good basis for a relationship.

That's out of line. Honestly. No need to attempt trolling.

Zutara is popular because it's sexy. That's really all you can say about it.

6/27/2009 #3
Son Kenshin

Its not trolling. Thats one of the sole reasons why Zutara is so popular.

Almost all Zutarans are from ages 14-18, and are girls. Almost all of them have reasons that 'Opposite Attract' and 'Dark Guy and Light Girl' for Zuko and Katara to get together, as well as both characters are 'sexy' or that Aang is 'too young'.

6/27/2009 #4
trueroyalblue

Are you serious? I don't go around calling Kataangers stupid, and Kataang stupid. I like Zutara because it's a great love story. I don't think Aang is "too young" for Katara, since she's two years younger than Zuko. Aang is one of my favorite characters. I would still like Zutara if the two characters were NOT "sexy".

And that really did sound like trolling, SK.

6/28/2009 #5
Marius Prime

While SK's approach was rough, but he's got a fair point. Padfoot, you like the pairing because you think it is a "great love story." On what basis do you make this claim? It bears no resemblence to any great love story. Contrary to what you may believe, a great love story requires a bit more than two people who can't stand each other and aren't attracted to each other. More the reverse, in fact. While lots of great love stories DO involve a source of conflict between characters who are attracted to each other, in this case there was far too big a conflict and absolutely no attraction indicated at any point. It was repeatedly made clear that the two had no interest in each other, and plenty of interest in other characters.

I think that the majority of the Katara/Zuko movement identifies with one of the characters, and then projects on that character the lust that they personally feel for the other.

6/28/2009 #6
something.happening.somewhere

I am a Zutara fan, I am 15. I like Zuko and Katara together because of the whole love/hate opposites attract thing. Some people are saying that that thats stupid, *looks downwards towards other posts,* but I don't see how. They complete each other (wow, that sounds cheesy) and I think they make an awesome (and sort of funny) couple.

7/4/2009 #7
Ethereal Daydreamer

(May contain slight spoilers)

Zuko and Katara is such a popular pairing because of the development between them during book 3. With little development happening between Aang and Katara at the near end of the show, the pairing was practically overshadowed. Unfortunately, the final scene was a slap in the face to Zutara fans that it seemed like a crime for the pairing to be rejected by canon. Especially because of the fact that Zuko had done more for Katara's development as a character than Aang, it seemed he was more deserving.

This had led to pretty much everyone and their grandmother defending the pairing to death because it seemed so close to be set in stone. It's the Colette and Sheena effect were you have the "canon" pairing competing against what fans consider to be the "proper" pairing. That is my case on the pairings popularity.

This is abit of a rant, and it may seem abit hard for zutara fans to hear this out but listen. Aside from just patching up the heated relationship between Zuko and Katara, I honestly believe Zutara was rather a pointless pairing since Zuko already had a love interest set in stone. Since the pairing was just going to get brushed aside anyway, there would have been no point to the writers teasing the Zutara pairing, for a simple handshake, or a pat on the back between the two would have been enough to show they were just friends than potential mates.

The only reason I can think of that such a pairing was even suggested was just so Katara has a excuse to fight Zuko's final opponent. After all, she did steal Zuko's spotlight from a fight that he already had in the bag.

7/4/2009 #8
Son Kenshin

Zuko and Katara is such a popular pairing because of the development between them during book 3. With little development happening between Aang and Katara at the near end of the show, the pairing was practically overshadowed. Unfortunately, the final scene was a slap in the face to Zutara fans that it seemed like a crime for the pairing to be rejected by canon. Especially because of the fact that Zuko had done more for Katara's development as a character than Aang, it seemed he was more deserving.

...what developement? That Katara barely stopped hating him? And Aang and Katara had much more developement through the entire SERIES than Zuko and Katara. And how has Zuko done more for Katara's developement than Aang?

7/4/2009 #9
Son Kenshin

I am a Zutara fan, I am 15. I like Zuko and Katara together because of the whole love/hate opposites attract thing. Some people are saying that that thats stupid, *looks downwards towards other posts,* but I don't see how. They complete each other (wow, that sounds cheesy) and I think they make an awesome (and sort of funny) couple

It IS stupid. 'Love/Hate Opposites Attract Thing' is a BIG slap in the face in how relationships really work.

7/4/2009 #10
trueroyalblue

Well too bad, this is a CARTOON show, not real life.

7/4/2009 #11
Marius Prime

Daydreamer, the Aang/Katara pairing was obviously set in stone the moment the first episode was created. Fans of the Zuko/Katara pairing HAVE to know this, deep down. They don't care. The real uncomfortable truth for that crowd is this: men and women typically interact with multiple people of the opposite sex every day. Some of them regular and significant personal relationships. Doesn't mean they're headed for Happily Ever After with any of those people.

No, opposites DON'T attract. Basically similar people with some superficial differences for contrast, on the other hand, rather do, sometimes. Actual opposites tend to hate each other, and can't get along at all.

Funny you should mention that, Lady Padfoot. No. It's NOT a cartoon. It's a childish fantasy of a collection of fifteen year old girls, related to a cartoon, that has been repeatedly shut down by the actual cartoon and its creators. That is where this "opposites attract" thing is happening. In the minds of hormone-maddened adolescents, and not in a cartoon at all.

7/4/2009 #12
Ethereal Daydreamer

Sorry Son Kenshin, my mistake on the development part. I assumed that the relationship between Aang and Katara went out of flavor in favor of Zuko and Katara during book 3, but I've forgotten about their deep development earlier in the cartoon generally because I haven't given it much attention outside of book 3. I usually consider the final chapters to be the end all to all forms of development, which caused me to overlook that fact. So I take back what I said about Zuko's influence on Katara development being greater than Aang's. It just seemed to me that the events of how Zuko assisted Katara in her revenge felt more personal than what Aang had shown at the end.

Although I do find it hard to believe that the development between Zuko and Katara was weak either. Nobody goes from hating someone's guts to crying over their safety in a few episodes without some major development. The Southern Raiders episode, the more polite casual conversations that followed, and the final Azula battle strongly suggest that alot of development took place.

To the topic creator, the popularity of the Zuko and Katara relationship exists because of the fact that fans of the pairing take their moments in the cartoon for gold, despite being nothing but mere showings of Zuko earning Katara's trust. It's generally more of the writers fault for strongly suggesting this noncanon pairing as they purposely did this to stir the avatar fanbase. The theatre play near the final episodes is further proof of this. I guess they wanted to tease the fanbase the same way manga writers do whenever there are pairings in their works.

7/4/2009 #13
Marius Prime

Daydreamer, this is EXACTLY what I was talking about. People have interpersonal relationships that are NOT romantic relationships all the time. When Zuko is reintroduced to the group as an ally, Katara hates him most. Over the course of the entire season, she grew to not really hate him as such. The end. This is what the creators were going for. They weren't trying to suggest a romantic relationship. They went out of their way to have the characters themselves say that they weren't interested in each other, through their reaction to the puppet show. It wasn't a hint of anything. It was a flat-out denial.

Fans of the pairing weren't misled. They weren't denied something promised to them. The creators weren't toying with them in any way. No. They're simply kids who insist on making too much out of every interaction that might support their idiotic lost cause that was never going to happen in the first place.

7/4/2009 #14
Guardian of Atlantis

It IS stupid. 'Love/Hate Opposites Attract Thing' is a BIG slap in the face in how relationships really work.

And guess what? It works well in selling lots of RomCom to love-obsessed females.

I guess Zutara is just one of those things that boggles the human mind. Love/Hate relationship=love works for women (although I do not see why they had to blow it to the proportions that it was against Kataang) just as big explosions works for males in action films and lots of mindless violent deaths works for horror and CSI.

Or maybe at the end of the day, people wanted an alternative relationship to the Kataang and Zutara became the most popular one?

My 3rd speculation is that perhaps all these Zutara fans were fans of American Dragon and the voice actors for Jake/Rose (is that right?) is the same for Zuko/Katara.

OH and btw, rabid fangirls feel free to kill the owner of this website...

7/5/2009 #15
Guardian of Atlantis

They're simply kids who insist on making too much out of every interaction that might support their idiotic lost cause that was never going to happen in the first place.

So they still isn't it should have happen? o_0 And I thought things hand mellowed out at the fandom. Guess I'll be taking a nice long hiatus again.

And for the note how do the Sokka/Toph fangirls think at the end of the series?

7/5/2009 #16
Grand Warlock Naarghul

It's the Colette and Sheena effect were you have the "canon" pairing competing against what fans consider to be the "proper" pairing. That is my case on the pairings popularity.

I would like to point out that this is a bad example. There isn't a set canon pairing in ToS. The game leaves this intentionally ambiguous because the player is encoraged to decide. In all actuality, every pairing in the game has their own merits and shortfalls.

7/5/2009 #17
Primuler

I am 18 and I support Zutara. The reason? I dunno, I was like 15 when I started watching this series, and I guess I didn't like bald people (which included Zuko) very much back then. Didn't even consider that there would be a coupling when I started watching except when Zuko was threatening Katara with her necklace. But somehow, I managed to support Zutara from season 1. I think Zutara is a great coupling. I think they'll get along with each other pretty well better than Aang and Katara. People say Zutara is 'teh opposites attract'. Tell you what. Personally, I never thought Zuko and Katara were opposites to begin with. Maybe it's because I missed good bits of season 2 and some first few episodes of season 3(never really watched the series online). Zuko and Katara have similar pasts. Dark guy and Light girl? Katara is pretty dark too if you ask me. If people's personalities are different from the root, then it would be hard to sustain a long-lasting good relationship. But Zuko and Katara isn't. They understand each other's trauma well. People with similar wounds can help each other to heal and move on. Well, thinking about what happened in Southern Raiders, Aang may be better in leading Katara to the 'right path' but he couldn't really give solution to her problem nor it seemed that he understood her problem fully. Those kinds of emotional trauma haunts you for ever. I know it. Well, Aang might be able to understand it some day and heal it too... The true reason why I don't like Kataang is that I don't like Aang personally. He's too idealistic(well, I don't like people who're too realistic at the same time). I know, it's a cartoon, but that's my taste. I just don't fully agree with his ways.

I dunno, maybe I just learned to make up excuses and defend myself from Kataangers, but those are the reasons why I still support Zutara to this day.

So yeah, I am a stupid girl who started to support Zutara at age of 16 and I go after something that's hot.

By the way, just asking, does Aang ever cook? Because one of the reasons why I think Zutara is better than Kataang is that Zuko cooks from time to time (or at least, he makes tea) so maybe he might understand a girl's heart better than Aang.

8/25/2009 . Edited 8/25/2009 #18
Marius Prime

... Cooking? Seriously? Wow. There's no words for just how screwed up this is. Cooking or making tea or doing any other domestic chore doesn't mean a guy "understands a girl's heart". I means he knows how to do some basic domestic chores, and that's it.

Also, yes, Katara and Zuko both have screwed up families, and have that in common. That means they might do well in group therapy together. As a basis for a relationship, it is a recipe for disaster. Of course, you're either misunderstanding things deliberately, or you're misleading. Katara is well adjusted despite some unhappiness in her background, while Zuko is emo and self-centered, which is a huge reason why a relationship would never work.

It appears that your opinion is based on appearances and a distaste for well-balanced, mature characters. That's really very sad.

8/25/2009 #19
Chilly Star

I am thirteen years old. (Do nottake that against me.) And have been watching the show since November 18, 2005 (I'm not a creepy fangirl, it's just because that's the day my baby brother was born.) and became a Zutarian sometime before the Book 2 finale. I saw every episode of Avatar in September, before that I did not see Bato of the Water Tribe, The Fortuneteller, or Zuko Alone. I didn't have any influence from the Internet because I discovered the Nickelodeon boards in July of last year. I believe one of the reasons people like Zutara is because of Twilight (I want to be the person in the future who lights the fire that burns all of those books.) Sweet Girl falls for Dark, Emo Boy (need I go on? T_T) I see people reading that crap every day.At music class, at bus stops...ect... All my friends have either read the book or seen the movie. Plus, they're all Zutarians.

Another reason is probably not a reason at all, but simply because they hate cannon parings entirely. Could be because they want to make up their own stuff all the time or it's some weird cult or something.

Probably the reason most people are Zutarians is because they think that Aang is a monk, therefore he should be alone.Hmm...so how does Aang exist then? That's what I thought.

P.S. You guys are taking this way too seriously. This is a cartoon.

8/25/2009 #20
shadowchsr

I would have to dissagree with Twighlight being the reason for Zutara Fans. I personally have not read the books and did not like the movie. I am also not against all cannon pairings as I seem to b e 50/50 in the pairings I prefer, and half are cannon, the other half are not. Granted I am just one person and cannot speak for all who like the Zuko and Katara pairing. It also has noting to do with Aang being a monk.(there are most likely different levels of monks, in air nomad society. Those who could bend would train and then choose to become celibate or to not and have a family. I'm also certain that not all who had links to the air nomads were even benders. Neither Katara's grandmother, mother, father, or brother were waterbenders yet she was. In fact there had not been a waterbender for close to 60 years in the south pole. but now I'm digressing) I fact I like for Aang to find happiness in the stories that I read but at the same time I don't feel that Katara is his best match. even if she is his first love. I think part of the reason there is such a big debate is because the creators themselves did consider matching Zuko and Katara up but changed their mind, but there were hints in there and because of that that fans of the pairing pick up on. Even though it didn't turn out that way in the end of the sereis. there is still the future that hasn't been written. Aang could very well end up with the young girl that was crushing on him in The fortuneteller or another he meets in his travels. The path of the heart is seldome straight and clear. It's a rare few who have their first love be their only love, and it caen happen. I do in fact also enjogy good aang and katara stories but still I do like the pairing with zuko and katara as well.

This is in part to Zuko becoming my favorite character in the series. I feel that it takes a lot to go against everything he was ever taught to believe and to find his own path and choose his own destiny and branding himself a traitor in the eyes of his own people to work and fight toward peace. None of the others really had that kind of internal struggle to challenge all they ever believed in and turn their back on it for a hope of a brighter future for all. In some way's Zuko is just as important as Aange in bringing balance to the world. Aange could stop the current firelord but without someone willing to end the conflict and work toward peace in the fire nation, who knows how long the fighting would drag on? With no heir on the throne the fire nation would be in chaos. Iroh could do so for a while but he had nobody to carry on his family line. the nation woul probably have been torn apart by civil war.

I will admit to having a bit of an attraction to the "bad boy" character at times but honestly I pretty much thought of zuko as an Arse until I saw The Storm and saw the reason for his scar. And we all saw how he came to be on this path. As well as slowly finding his own. The more he changed the more I grew to respect him. About halfway through the second season I just had a feeling he was going to be Aang's firebending teacher. He just had to go the long way to get there.

You are right we shouldn't take this too seriously as this is a cartoon but I think a lot of the bickering and bitterness is because people here can forget that we are all entitled to our opinion and preference. It's just as silly and just as insulting to have someone tell you that your favorite flavor of ice cream is nothing but garbage and that you must have no sense of taste to like such a horrible or boring flavor. If you enjoy it, you have every right to enjoy it without being called ignorant, stupid, weird, or childish or say they aren't thinking properly, not that you are saying that. This is mostly in defense of others I've seen in these forums that have done so, both zutarans and kataangers alike. Though I do feel like you are saying that only a certain type of person likes this pairing and that is not the case. We all have the right to enjoy our chosen fandoms because they are supposed to be fun, not to sling mud at others. Though some people like to sling mud but that isn't meant for here.

Please do not take offence to anything I have posted here. This is just one person's opinion and you can agree or disagree as you see fit. I was always the girl who prefered strawberry to chocolate even though all my friends thought me weird for it. It didn't change what I liked, but I did learn to respect what other people did like when it didn't match up with my views. Romantic pairings in a cartoon should be no different. Go with what you like and enjoy it. It's supposed to be fun.

8/25/2009 #21
iM-NOt-psYcHO

Zuko's my favorite character too! For the same reason! Personally, I like bad guys more than good guys, and people like Zuko who have to struggle to find the good inside themselves. It's harder to go against what you were taught to believe rather than operate on blind faith.

So anyway, I think the reason why some people like Zutara more than Kataang is because its to predictable. In every t.v. show, movie, book, etc. I've seen the Staring Male and Staring Female fall in love and live happily ever after. It can get kind of tiring after awhile. I know that Aang and Katara end up together, but Zuko and Katara is a more attractive couple, and not because they're good looking, but because their relationship would be less traditional. 'Opposites Attract' may not happen much in the real world, but maybe that's why it's so popular.

And this is from an unbiased observer. I may not be a big fan of Kataang, but I think Zuko goes better with Mai.

8/27/2009 #22
Kokomojeezus
Marius, you speak my mind. Not to compare ATLA to Twilight, but people like Zutara for the same reason people like Twilight. Both let them project imagine themselves as in a relationship with the main emo dude. I don't actually know this for a fact, because a. I'm a man, b. I haven't read Twilight, and c. I'm a Kataanger.
8/28/2009 #23
Dukeofnachos

I hate twilight, i love Zutara. Might just be because to me, twilight was highschool musical with powers. Really, i would hate to date Zuko, but Katara has a different personality than me. I put Katara with Zuko because i hate cannon pairings. At least thats why i did it at first. Then after a while, they just fit together.

10/16/2009 #24
Celestial Zodiac

Aang is chronologically over 100 years old, and Katara is chronologically 14-15. Which he is chronologically older.

I meant to say he wasn't too young for Katara chronological age. Biologically, yea, but still.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

10/18/2009 . Edited 10/19/2009 #25
Son Kenshin

You do know the difference between Biological and Chronological age, right, Celestial Zodiac? Aang is chronologically 113, but biologically, he's 13. So no, he is not too old for Katara.

10/18/2009 #26
Celestial Zodiac

Yes, I meant chronologically. Sorry if I confused anyone.

10/18/2009 #27
basketballchick13

i guess u could relate twilight to avatar. they both have powers in them, but i think bending is much cooer.

honestly i can see why you hate twilight, i don't hate it but i dont like it either. I think that bella is really obsessive amd whiny. Katara cries a lot more than toph does, but shes still pretty tough. I like Zuatara because even though Zuko can be protective of her, she can still put up a fight.

10/19/2009 #28
The Lightning Knight

I can understand liking Zutara in season three.

But before then? They barely interacted, other than Zuko using her to get Aang.

10/27/2009 #29
Dukeofnachos

Don't forget the awsome fight scenes! They were awsome! Even the ones with Sokka. I truthfully don't know when i started to like Zutara, butt it as before season three. It's not so much that i hate Canon, but that i get tired of it. If i had a computer at the start of the series, i would have been defending Kataang. I staryed from the norm, and then i guess i just never went back and don't plan to anytime soon. Really, with any show i watch, i usually just pick two characters, regardless of whether they hate eachother, have tried to kill eachother, or one of them is dead. (*sniff* I miss L [deathnote])

10/28/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member