Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Retro23

Its time to end the Kataang and Kukatara debate, lets vote for who thinks which one is cooler.

1/15/2011 #1
Retro23

THe rules are:

1. no cursing

2. no trashing

3. let out your emotions through words.

Personally, I think that the Kataang idea makes sense, she loves him. Why? Everyone always asks why around here. Don't you understand how much they've been through, that's why they love each other. Duh?!

1/15/2011 #2
WordVortex74

Kataang is WAY better than Zutara, but I know that Zutara is going to win this vote thing because it is more popular than Kataang *downcast sigh* Anyway, I HATE ZUTARA and LOVE LOVE LOVE KATAANG!

1/15/2011 #3
Fullmetal Catalyst

Why? Everyone always asks why around here.

Price we pay for being human and mildly (or greater) interested in a topic for which we don't know all the answers (or don't want to know).

Additionally, on a website where many try to improve their writing, storyboarding, and debating skills, such a terribly loaded question has become an occupational hazard. Storyboarding in particular. If you don't know why something happens in your or another's plot, it better be answered at some point or there's a good chance it shouldn't be happening.

Don't you understand how much they've been through, that's why they love each other. Duh?!

Well, a very large number of people don't. A smaller number do but it's simply not their favorite. For those of us who both understand and its our favorite, that first group drives us bloody insane. Actually, I think they drive the second group crazy too.

I've made my stance known (through some incessant, surely-annoying forum stalking over the past week). I like Kataang because I'm a Canonist and I like things that make sense. Kataang seemed to flow from the show, so it made the most sense to me once I discovered the concept of shipping wars. I've thought about it further, and it still makes the most sense to me. I've thought about potential holes and done what I could to fill them in. And they're an extremely lovable couple. They grow up together, they support each other, and they fit pretty darn well together personality-wise. And I have to throw in, apart from the fact that Aang is the main hero, it really isn't terribly close to the level of cliché.

Zutara is going to win this vote thing because it is more popular than Kataang

I don't know. If we're going by a notion of "winning", then Kataang currently has 3 to Zutara's 0. I make it 5-3 if I consider the people who've posted here in the last several days.

1/15/2011 . Edited 1/15/2011 #4
Mrs Pettyfer

Lol we're voting for which one is cooler?

Zutara..which isn't really shocking for those of you who have seen my posts, haha. I just love them.

1/16/2011 #5
TigerShadow

I hope the title of this thread is an exaggeration. Zutara/Kataang/Maiko debates will never be over, much like Harry-Ginny/Ron-Hermione/Harry-Hermione wars. At any rate, Zutara has pretty much always been the more popular ship, the exception being the earlier parts of the show's run. The number of Zutara fanfics/fanarts/fanvideos outnumbers that of Kataang and Maiko works combined in many cases.

Anyway, to get myself off of that tangent, I choose Zutara, because although I understand what Katara and Aang went through, both separately and together, I feel the Harry/Hermione vibe there, and that's never felt right for me. I support Zutara, because I think they challenge each other and have the potential to work together as lovers even better than they did as friends.

Blah, I'm not articulate today...

1/16/2011 #6
Retro23

Alright good guys.

1/18/2011 #7
pandora1225

Kataang rocks!!! You rock to Retro23!!!

Zutara was NEVER MENT TO BE!

This is for all who enjoy Zutara, Aang loves katara and Katara loves him, Zuko loves Mai and Mai loves him. Katara does not love Zuko and Zuko does not love Katara, Keep that in mind. When Aang and Katara get married, "which they will," I said giggling, they will have a child and name him Tenzin. HA!!!

1/19/2011 #8
TigerShadow

Oh, quit whining. You're one of those Kataangers who goes around shoving Kataang down people's throats. We're getting sick of that.

they will have a child and name him Tenzin. HA!!!

I'm sorry to sound snippy, but I've had a lot on my mind lately and I don't have time to listen to people being immature and only having "HAHAHAHA ZUTARA LOST KATAANG WON!!!!!!!11!@#" I'm sorry, if you want to do that at some other forum, that's fine, but don't go bringing that here. That is rude and inconsiderate. If you want us to accept Kataang faster, then please stop throwing it at our faces and shoving it down our throats.

1/19/2011 . Edited 1/21/2011 #9
Amira Elizabeth

TS - the same could be said for Zutarians. Truthfully, Zutara will always hit a sour note with me because of the behavior I have seen, the character bashing, the incessant "ours is better than yours is," lack of understanding of the show and its themes and concepts, etc. And after the Tenzin announcement the behavior was absolutely atrocious. Honestly (and it is unfortunate to anyone who did not display the afore mentioned behaviors) it is the behaviors mentioned that have helped to fuel the "Kataang gloating."

I don't agree with such posting styles as the one you responded to however. I think you can say there was no romantic love between Zuko and Katara and that Katara and Aang have a child together without such stuff.

That being said:

I am a Kataang supporter. 100%. I love them as characters individually and together. They have so much love that surrounds them. And so much potential.

1/23/2011 #10
Alactricity

Personally I'm all for Kataang. I think they compliment each other well, and any in-character Zutara relationship would end in explosives.

But I mean, you're asking people to choose between chocolate and vanilla. Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, just that, as people, we have different likes and dislikes. Shoving chocolate ice cream down a vanilla-lovers throat isn't cool, or vice versa. The song "King Of Anything" By Sara Bareilles sums that up quite nicely, I think.

The one thing I can't stand is arguments without factual support, which a lot of h*** shippers (on both sides) seem to sometimes do... but yeah. o.x

1/24/2011 #11
Mrs Pettyfer

But I mean, you're asking people to choose between chocolate and vanilla. Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, just that, as people, we have different likes and dislikes. Shoving chocolate ice cream down a vanilla-lovers throat isn't cool, or vice versa. The song "King Of Anything" By Sara Bareilles sums that up quite nicely, I think.

The one thing I can't stand is arguments without factual support, which a lot of h*** shippers (on both sides) seem to sometimes do... but yeah. o.x

I agree with this all the way. Neither ship is better..it's all a matter of opinion and which type of shipping you prefer. Gosh now I want chocolate ice cream, haha.

1/24/2011 #12
Fullmetal Catalyst

I agree. I'm not sure if this is an Internet thing or not, but there are way too many people (in other debates as well as this) who persist in arguing for factual supremacy (i.e. "this is better") using "evidence" that suggests they're living in Plato's cave, then act defensive and victimized when other people make them aware of it. Often, if they're getting mad at having holes poked in their "evidence", it makes it clear that it's their opinion and not facts at play, no?

Fortunately, I think the canon war is dead (or as dead as it will ever be), which leaves just the two fanon sides, and since there's more than enough room for the good writing of both....usher in a new era of love and peace? Turn this forum into a discussion of people's Kataang and Zutara fanfiction ideas?

1/25/2011 #13
Alactricity
Looks like someones been listening to Zuko's coronation speech again! :P
1/25/2011 #14
TigerShadow

He threw in Quirrellmort a week ago. *glares*

1/26/2011 #15
Fullmetal Catalyst

I heard from somewhere (I think a movie) something along the lines of, "if someone's already said it well, you might as well go with what their words."

While I love the coronation speech because it means so much for Zuko's character, this time I was actually watching that whole scene for the music :p

The shipping war is about as pointless as the 100 Year War anyway. The only benefit of both wars was that they honed the warrior skills of those who could fight and made it pretty obvious who couldn't.

Quirrellmort was just me being nutty again.

1/26/2011 #16
chiheerios

Zutara =D

a lot of thimes I post a comment, kataangers get all defensive...NOT ALL! only some!

Don't know if that was trashing....

2/24/2011 #17
Fullmetal Catalyst

Not at all, music :)

Feel free to post whatever comments you'd like so long as they do not attack other people.

From what I've seen, some Kataangers get defensive at even the mention of Zutara, but some only get defensive (and justly so) when their ship is attacked. The fanon ships should be able to coexist in this 'verse we all enjoy; there's no need to try to bring another down.

2/24/2011 #18
chiheerios

thank you! honestly i only dislike kataang because i find that katara treats aang like her son. why can't they just coexist!

2/25/2011 #19
Amira Elizabeth

See I find that construes their relationship. If he was older and she still behaved that way would you say that she treats him like her son? If he was older than her would and she still behaved that way would you say the same? The reason that argument is a sore spot with me is that it only seems to apply to Aang. She acts motherly to Toph, Sokka, and pretty much anyone else she comes across. It is part of her character and part of who she is. And let's not forget that he was on a mission to save her world and her future. A mission that could possibly (and even did) jeopardize his life. I would expect her to be protective and caring. I just think such an opinion narrows her and Aang into roles that didn't even define a large portion (if at all) of their relationship, it narrows them in terms of male/female dynamics, and narrows them in terms of age issues.

2/25/2011 . Edited 2/25/2011 #20
chiheerios

good point, but i still prefer zutara :)

2/25/2011 #21
Fullmetal Catalyst

Katara's a very protective gal. Particularly of herself, eh?

2/26/2011 #22
the musical bender

I vote Kataang! I know why some people might like Zutara because it's classic Romeo and Juliet. But I feel that Kataang was just meant to be.

2/26/2011 #23
lalala445

Why Zuttara Rocks

1) Aang is too much of a wimp and Katara deserves a non-wimp like Zuko

2) The firenation even thinks they are amazing, if you haven't seen the Play episode, I suggest you do

3) They are perfect for each other

4) Zuko isn't 112 years old

There's alot more to say but I have to go so ya... ZUTARA!!!!!!!

3/9/2011 #24
the musical bender

I would just like to counter one of these points which are

1) Aang is not a wimp because he did take on the firelord

3/9/2011 #25
WordVortex74

Here are my rebuttals to your counterargument:

1) Aang had to SAVE THE WORLD...that's WAY more than what Zuko had to do

2) The Ember Island Players was MAKING FUN OF ZUTARA, and if you payed attention during the episode, you'd see how Zuko and Katara pulled away from each other in DISGUST

3) How are they perfect for each other? Zuko and Mai are perfect for each other because Mai balances Zuko (read "A Badass ProMaiko Argument" and you'll see why) and Aang and Katara compliment each other with their kind souls. Plus, Katara hated Zuko for most of the show, and only after "The Southern Raiders," did she begin to tolerate him. And Mai RISKED HER LIFE for Zuko, which Katara did not do, and Katara SAVED AANG'S LIFE AFTER ZUKO'S NATION NEARLY CAUSED AANG'S DEATH!!!!!!

Kataang and Maiko FTW!!!!!! Death to Zutara!!!!!!

3/9/2011 #26
WordVortex74

Do not categorize us as Kataangers or Zutarians. She was just speaking her mind. Zutara will never happen. Get over it.

3/9/2011 #27
WordVortex74

Oh, and another thing...

Just because Aang was frozen for 100 years DOES NOT mean he is magically an old man. He is still 12 years old. And don't give me any crap about how Aang and Katara are two years apart; so are Katara and Zuko.

3/9/2011 #28
Fullmetal Catalyst

Kataang and Maiko FTW!!!!!! Death to Zutara!!!!!!

lalala's arguments may lack explanation, Emma, but please be respectful to other ships while cheering for yours.

lalala, I'm not sure if you were trying to argue pro-Zutara or anti-Aang, but for your arguments 1) and 4) the same goes for you. Arguing against Aang does absolutely nothing for Zutara and thus seems to me out of place in your post.

3/9/2011 #29
Alactricity

I'm team Katara/Cabbage Guy. I even made up a fandom name for them: Kabbage. But with a K. Eh, eh? I think it's true love. Has anyone else noticed how the cabbage guy always shows up everywhere Katara does? And he always cries after she leaves. And even though Cabbage Guy is older, Katara is so mature, and c'mon, doesn't that guy look like he needs a nurturing mother figure? And Katara loves cabbage. And old guys. See, Iroh/Katara (Kiroh) would never work because we all know Iroh has threesomes with June and Toph.

Team Kabbage! Whooo!

3/10/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member