Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Fullmetal Catalyst

This is the place to recommend others' fics or advertise your own. Oneshots, short stories, epic trilogies, canon fics, fanon fics, etc etc...anything Avatar, though of course preferably with either a Kataang or Zutara (or both) flavor.

You may also spitball your story ideas here or challenge others to write to your prompt. Furthermore, if you need others to help motivate you, this is the place :D

Do not discuss the fics in this thread beyond maybe a sentence stating why you like it - there will be another designated for that purpose.

Please stay on-topic in this thread. Posts that are entirely off-topic will be warned and, if unedited after three days, removed.

Go for it!

8/14/2011 #1
redpinkandwhite

I would LOVE criticism of any kind, especially on this story: This Much is Okay. (Katara's thoughts while Zuko slumbers peacefully in her arms. Drabble. Zutara. Romance.)

And maybe a little bit of advertising and promotion will come of it. But I would sincerely love any kind of thoughts or opinions on it. Much obliged to those who look! :)

8/14/2011 . Edited 8/21/2011 #2
Mrs Pettyfer

^I still need to critique you! I haven't forgotten I promise. ;)

8/14/2011 #3
redpinkandwhite

Good! :) I actually forgot about that promise. :P Thank goodness you remembered!

Now, while I have time, I'll look up those stories that you suggested to me and maybe I can start reading!!

8/15/2011 #4
Amira Elizabeth

A request - if you do post a story for fic recommendation or critique, please at least copy and paste your summary and whether it's gen, romance, what pairings, etc. into your post. Thanks

8/19/2011 #5
Mrs Pettyfer

I suppose I should recommend a few fics. :) All of these you can either search or look in my favorites.

Acquiescence by Lady Flick: "COMPLETE! ZUTARA. Zuko, Katara and Sokka go under cover into the Fire Nation. EPILOGUE UP!"

-This is the authors first Avatar story, which is impressive. It's an interesting and different take on book 3. Minor characters also get a bit of recognition, which I appreciate since a lot of authors tend to forget about them, and the OC's are interesting as well. There's also lots of action. =)

Love Thy Enemy by RedNovemer: "ZK AU The mighty Fire Empire rules the entire world, after they conquered it a century ago. Now, almost a hundred years later, a tiny tribe of rebels have sent Katara, an undercover assassin, to kill the Fire Emperor Zuko." Complete

-Amazing AU fic. I was a little on the fence because I usually don't read AU's but the author really creates another world within the Avatar world. It's not overly shippy; just a really good story.

The Fire Series by Wren Sharpbeak: "Speculative first episode for season 3. After fleeing Ba Sing Se, the gang tries to stop a Dai Li war barge from attacking Hakoda's ships in Chameleon Bay." Book 3. Incomplete

-That's the summary for her first "episode." This author publishes a story per "episode." She follows the same sort of style as the cartoon on TV. So far she has 19 episodes, I believe. The first is called Fire Chapter 1: The War Barge. This author wrote her version of book 3 BEFORE the real book 3 even came out. Which is extremely impressive. The characters are quite spot on, considering she had none of their development in book 3 to go off of. Not overly shippy either. It has eventually both Kataang and Zutara, but it's a bit one sided on both in the sense that the author doesn't really reveal Katara's feelings on either..but dances around it. I highly recommend this one.

8/21/2011 . Edited 8/21/2011 #6
Fullmetal Catalyst

The Fire Series by Wren Sharpbeak : "Speculative first episode for season 3. After fleeing Ba Sing Se, the gang tries to stop a Dai Li war barge from attacking Hakoda's ships in Chameleon Bay." Book 3

-That's the summary for her first "episode." This author publishes a story per "episode." She follows the same sort of style as the cartoon on TV. So far she has 19 episodes, I believe. The first is called Fire Chapter 1: The War Barge. This author wrote her version of book 3 BEFORE the real book 3 even came out. Which is extremely impressive. The characters are quite spot on, considering she had none of their development in book 3 to go off of. Not overly shippy either. I highly reccommend this one.

From this series, my personal favorite was "Chapter 9: The Shallows". Blew me away. The way she writes in episodic format is also extremely commendable and succeeds nicely. It is indeed not overly shippy. I don't remember well, but it may lean toward Zutara a little without actually having it (confirm/deny?). It is more Zuko's story than Aang's, so Zuko has more prominence than in the canon S3. I also recommend Wren's series, but with three caveats.

First: It's not complete, and the latest chapter was written a year and a half ago. I do not mean to imply pessimism, only realism -- moderate your expectations for the ending, because the ending doesn't exist yet.

Second: Aang. He's just no fun. She gives him some remarkable moments (his rapports with Zuko and Toph are noticeably well crafted), but I felt that Wren took a swing and missed by a fair amount with Aang's character. It's damn near impossible to totally capture a character, but Aang's portrayal was actually eyebrow-raising. I feel it's the weakest part of her story.

Third: A couple other character portrayals. Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with Madame Pettyfer that the characters are excellent (doubly so given the lack of a third season to build on), but some of them are tweaked. Zuko and Katara are noticeably lacking in the Dark Side department (though Katara's may be understandable given when Wren was writing), and one other character (unnamed for the purpose of spoilers) does something that I think is strictly impossible for his character to do.

Final note...As an episodic story in its own right, it's spectacular. I was a jaded reader with diehard canon tendencies at the time and I still loved it. But, as a continuation of the series, it falls flat in several respects. Not all, but several.

@Pettyfer: I had just finished this reply when I saw you moved it to this topic and just had to laugh at myself :D

8/21/2011 #7
Fullmetal Catalyst

A request - if you do post a story for fic recommendation or critique, please at least copy and paste your summary and whether it's gen, romance, what pairings, etc. into your post. Thanks

I second this request. Please post your summary in addition to the story title.

Other details such as genre (action, mystery, romance, etc.), ships (if applicable) or pairings (if romance is a subplot), character tags (so we know whom to expect), and whatever else you see fit are also appreciated, as they might help us understand the story a little better before we dive in :)

8/21/2011 #8
Justice Tokidoki

Okay, I'll recommend and advertise...

If you haven't read it yet, read Waterblooded by Caina: Great conspiration story where katara is plotting to maybe kill aang for something he did in the past to her tribe. (I think he helped the fire nation destroy it, but I'm not sure). The characterization in this is excellent and it's very well written without the super enormous long chapters that some people write with overflowing details... It appears to be in the genres of mystery, drama, and I guess hurt and comfort. It is thrilling also... So far I believe there are nine chapters...

I don't want to spoil to much so I'll leave it at that...

Another story to catch is Avatar the last airbender by sportie07: It is awsome! So far there are 26 chapters I think. He doesn't update very often but his writing skills and length of the chapters make up for it. It has drama, suspense, adventure, and lots of kataang romance. It is basically about ozai getting trapped in aang's body after he energy bends him. The characterization is great and the detail to is awsome. It really creates a picture in your head! All in all, it's a great read!

I'd also like critique and feedback on my own story Releasing the Dragon: It takes place a couple weeks after the defeat of firelord ozai. One of the dragons from the episode the firebending masters, dies and the red dragon goed off and later enters Aang's body. So now Aang is struggling to keep the dragon within him from spreading chaos. There is also an rebellion going on during this against fire lord zuko. The main group is called LL Phoenix and the leader is Shen. That's all I'll say for now.

the genres for this include adventure, some kataang romance, drama, and family/friendship. I'd really like some feedback on this.

Also, I want to mention this one story called Alloys: I forgot the penname of the guy who wrote it, but you can find it in my favorite stories section. Basically, all the characters are older and aang convinces zuko to send his duaghter to stay in the south pole for a year while aang's duaghter stays in the fire nation. There is a lot of drama and hints of corruption in this one. It is very well written and the details is also good....

Okay, so I'm all rambled out so I'll post my story idea later...:)

8/24/2011 #9
heza08

I'm pimping my own haiku set: Dragon of the Brush. Um... No pairing, Iroh POV, one-shot (ten-haiku set), and actually, I'm not pimping the fic (I just wanted to stay on topic) as much as I am pimping the contest. I wrote them for lucawindmover's "Uncle Iroh Poetry Contest," which I think is a fabulous idea... so I want you all to go out and write Uncle Iroh poetry now.

The contest is located HERE

In fact, the forum is newish, fairly unpopulated, but devoted to issuing fic challenges and holding contests, which I thought might go hand in hand with our new mission to promote creativity and out-of-the-box fic thinking!

And though I'm not really pimping it, feel free to read and critique (one person already found an oops on my syllable count thanks to my lovely, syllable-adding, southern drawl).

9/1/2011 . Edited 9/1/2011 #10
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member