Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Fullmetal Catalyst

I'm going to start off by saying this is a shipping-neutral zone. That should be enough detail for now.

This is where people can throw stuff around, bounce ideas off people and walls. Challenge other writers to take up your idea, or toss out prompts for oneshots. Think about a glamorous crackship, or consider a beautiful Sukka interaction. Unrestricted to any ships, this is where you can let your mind roam free. Keep the creative juices flowing...and you just might find something you can write about.

Personally, I would like any story idea I deliver to be open to critique and discussion. If you see one of my ideas that you like, you're more than welcome to steal one...I cannot speak for others, though, so check with them.

Add to this thread however frequently you want. Let's see it grow.

For the record, my intent is for story ideas to be more than just "Ozai comes bak from teh dead lolz". It'd be more interesting and more engaging if the ideas have something extra, maybe how your new situation might affect a character or change the course of these events.

I'll post an idea to get this started in the morning, me be tired.

8/31/2011 #1
Fullmetal Catalyst

Premise: Zuko fails to free Aang in the Season 1 episode "The Blue Spirit", but escapes Zhao's wrath

Expansion: It is significantly more interesting if Sokka's and Katara's illnesses wear off naturally. What have we then? Well, Zhao holds Aang captive...but Zuko is on the loose in all his ninja glory. Throw in Katara and Sokka, riding Appa around no less, and the wild cards roam free. Perhaps they even meet up and, with hostile reluctance, team up to keep the Avatar away from the Admiral. Perhaps Hakoda and his forces are in the area -- does a naval battle commence? Would Ozai consider sending Azula into the fray at such a stage...and what would her relationship with Zuko be then? What would the interaction between Aang and Azula be like...and would Aang succeed in an escape attempt? How would Iroh handle the dual presence of Zhao and Azula? Would the Earth Kingdom armies, should any be in the area, attempt a rescue...or would they use Aang's capture in some way, perhaps faking a rescue in order to smash a Fire Nation battalion?

Best of all, when Toph was captured, she eventually invented Metalbending. Is there any technique that Aang could come up with to improve his situation, to return to Appa?

Ideas don't need to be structured like this. They don't actually need to be structured at all. They don't need to be anything more than a sentence or phrase. This is just, as I said, to get the creative juices flowing, to keep one's mind actively thinking about new directions for a story to travel in. If it ends up just being me throwing junk out there...well, I guess I'll have to chuckle...

9/1/2011 #2
heza08

Premise: Explore Kanna's life in the Northern Water Tribe and her subsequent journey to the south.

Expansion: I'd like to see an interpretation of what Kanna would have been like as a young woman, and why she chose to leave Pakku, a man she obviously loved, given the marriage at the end of the show. Was it because she wanted freedom? Was it because she couldn't live with the restrictions placed on women in the north? Did it involve something political? Did she travel through the Earth Kingdom before reaching the sister tribe? How were her travels affected by the ongoing war? Did she have adventures? When she reached the Southern Tribe, what was it like back then, how much stronger? What was her relationship with Hama like, how was she involved in the raids the Fire Nation visited on them? Who did she marry (or did she)? Why did she decide to stay in the south?

I've seen Kanna fics, but they're mostly about her and Pakku reconciling, one-shot past fics, or focus on one end of the other (leaving Pakku or finding an OC). I'm suggesting something longer that really develops her character, reveals the world (not just two romances) through her eyes, and spends a reasonable amount of time in the Earth Kingdom.

9/1/2011 . Edited 9/1/2011 #3
chromeknickers

Premise: Azula escapes from the mental hospital and has a final confrontation with the Avatar, but events don't turn out how either expected.

Expansion: In the middle of battle, Aang ends up entering Azula's mind. While inside, Aang discovers how and why Azula became the woman her mother had deemed a "monster" as a child.

-- The story in itself would have several twists, so I don't want to give anything away. However, I'd really like to try my hand at psychological/paranormal fiction. Who better to start with than Azula? I want to use Aang because I believe him to be a great mediator and problem-solver - and I think he'd make a good yin to Azula's yang.

9/1/2011 #4
Fullmetal Catalyst

Premise: After a failed assassination attempt by Kuruk, Koh enters our world to take revenge on the Avatar.

Expansion: Oh boy. A fifty-foot centipede who steals faces running loose in the world? He could easily turn everybody against Aang, stealing a couple faces from each town - "Every day the Avatar refuses to confront me, I take two more." Or maybe he creates his own army of Faceless. How does Aang even begin to confront such a threat? How do you defeat a spirit when your past life failed? How do you fight an entity that can turn half the world against you with a word? And how do you avoid the terrifying parallel of Kuruk - whose love was taken by the same being you now face?

(hint: Mai is really good at hiding her expression. Commence ninja action.)

And it need not be Koh. I think any kind of story that deals with such a spirit, a supernatural threat, would make for some epic reading. Throw in tragedy and spice it up with a ship subplot.

@Incognito - I had a thought regarding yours but forgot it. I'll reconstruct some of it. I think there's some great paranormal stuff going on in there. Does Azula end up seeing some of Aang's mind as well? How do their personalities leech off each other, and how do people who know react? Zuko and Katara in particular would react strongly to such a deep bond with someone they have great reason to dislike. Alternatively, Aang and Azula have to somehow keep it secret even from those to whom they're closest.

9/7/2011 #5
chromeknickers

@Cadmos, I think with age, Aang would become more monk-like and able to mask his feelings/expressions better. I'd love to see an Aang/Mai team-up - Mai would just have to work on her bored expression. I think Suki and the Kyoshi Warriors, sans Ty Lee, would be helpful, too. Forget about most of the Watertribe, though. :P

Does Azula end up seeing some of Aang's mind as well? How do their personalities leech off each other, and how do people who know react?

Almost the entire story takes place in Azula's mind, so you don't really know what everyone else's reactions are (Katara and Zuko's) until after the fact. Although Azula won't be able to see into Aang's mind, the two will share a very unique bond, whether they want to or not. Remarkably, fire and air can compliment one another, but there needs to be temperance. Aang can give Azula a new way of understanding the environment and people around her while Azula's passion and drive do not limit Aang's potential, allowing him to fly. I'm not suggesting a romance, but since Aang is the great mediator, he can see things in Azula that no one else can, and he can help her like no one else. Azula, more than anything, challenges Aang but in way that does not limit (water) or ground him (earth). But to answer one of your questions, Zuko will not take well to it at all, and that becomes a big deal for Aang towards the end of the story.

9/7/2011 #6
Mrs Pettyfer

Or maybe he creates his own army of Faceless.

The Faceless Army! Seriously, Koh would make an outstanding villain. A spirit (how do you kill a spirit?) who can steal the face off anyone who shows emotion. That's pretty epic. Sort of reminds me of when I saw The Green Lantern..how the bad guy got stronger off the fears of others. :P Is it possible for anyone other than Aang to go to the spirit world? I thought I heard Iroh did..but I might be wrong. I've been tapping around a one shot with Zuko striking a deal with Koh. :P

Forget about most of the Watertribe, though.

Lol and Zuko. He explodes with emotion. I'd place my bet on Mai or Toph. Actually, Azula in her prime..who managed to beat Toph's lie detector test.

9/7/2011 #7
AFreshlyPickedPlum

Premise: What if Katara learned Bloodbending on her own?

Expansion: Well, this would probably give Katara a little more free reign when using it, if she came up with it herself, as opposed to this crazy old lady teaching her. Who knows, she could even use it on Azula or Ozai if she wanted to.

9/22/2011 #8
Mrs Pettyfer

I like the idea of bloodbending. I see it as an advanced form of waterbending, just like metalbending and lightning. It's how someone uses it that matters. Not just to control others, but I bet it would advance medical treatment quite a bit. Katara could definitely learn it on her own, too. =) Maybe she'd learn it the same way she learned to heal, more or less. Perhaps she cuts herself and bends the blood back, sealing her wound.

9/22/2011 #9
Fullmetal Catalyst

It's how someone uses it that matters.

The first time Katara encounters Bloodbending in the canon, it is used for control, for evil, by a woman who has shown a disturbing casualness toward life and a single-minded hatred (justified or not) of the Fire Nation.

If, as you suggested Pettyfer, she encountered it the same way she encountered healing (accidental injury), would she be so reluctant to use it? Would she think to use it for more nefarious purposes as she grew in power, and would she find them as repulsive? She has no problem lashing people, throwing ice shards, and sending a water-wall at Azula so sharp it trims her hair. Would Bloodbending join her repertoire of moves?

To expand further - had Aang's first Firebending been beneficial rather than harmful, or Zuko's attempts at lightning successful, or Toph attempted to develop Metalbending under a different kind of pressure (say, combat rather than imprisonment)...how might that change their Bending arcs, the way they view and use their powers, and ultimately their character personalities?

I like the idea of bloodbending. I see it as an advanced form of waterbending, just like metalbending and lightning.

I love the idea too :) And I love exploring advanced forms of bending and the divisions between them.

(which often aren't quite clear. Clouds = water or air? Magma = fire or earth? Lightning redirection is fire from water. In a living being that respirates, blood will be filled with oxygen, which throws everything into confusion. Oh, the joys of speculation.)

Does Airbending have an equivalent offshoot? If it doesn't, could we guess at one?

Lightning is the cold-blooded fire, requiring clarity of thought and harmony of emotion. In a sense, a purified form of the element. Metalbending, by virtue of what is being bent (metal), seems to follow the same logic. Think we can describe Bloodbending the same way? ;)

9/23/2011 #10
AFreshlyPickedPlum

To expand further - had Aang's first Firebending been beneficial rather than harmful, or Zuko's attempts at lightning successful, or Toph attempted to develop Metalbending under a different kind of pressure (say, combat rather than imprisonment)...how might that change their Bending arcs, the way they view and use their powers, and ultimately their character personalities?

(which often aren't quite clear. Clouds = water or air? Magma = fire or earth? Lightning redirection is fire from water. In a living being that respirates, blood will be filled with oxygen, which throws everything into confusion. Oh, the joys of speculation.)

Does Airbending have an equivalent offshoot? If it doesn't, could we guess at one?

Lightning is the cold-blooded fire, requiring clarity of thought and harmony of emotion. In a sense, a purified form of the element. Metalbending, by virtue of what is being bent (metal), seems to follow the same logic. Think we can describe Bloodbending the same way? ;)

*clapclapclap*

10/15/2011 #11
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member