Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Crow's Reach
Anyone notice there's been a lot more OC fics than there used to be? I don't hate them but I definitely don't love them or even like them for that matter. I'd say I tolerate them. But only when they're not a main character.
9/3/2011 #1
Crow's Reach
I realize this is not exactly on the topic of Zutara or Kataang so I'll be more specific since this is a pairing forum. Anyone find it annoying when an OC is paired with Zuko, Aang or Katara rather than the actual characters from the show?
9/3/2011 #2
chromeknickers

I have a few OCs in my new fic, The Fifth Column. I don't think there's anything wrong with OCs in a story as long as they don't take away from the main characters, which I'd generally prefer to be from the show. If the show is about pairing an OC with a main character, I usually find that to be the author's fantasy. Often, I avoid those fics - but that's not to say that an OC fic can't be done right.

9/3/2011 #3
Amira Elizabeth

Yeah, I don't like OC dominated fics. I want to read AtLA. And that means the characters from the show.

9/3/2011 #4
Fullmetal Catalyst

I haven't checked for a couple days, but the number of stories in the Avatar fanfic-dom is nearing 30,000. As such, a lot of ground has been covered with the canon characters. I suspect some authors are unsure of where to take the canon characters, leading to the creation of more OCs. I think it's a natural progression as more fics are written -- if anything, I'm surprised it seems to have taken so long, if it has. 30k fics...damn.

As for an OC as the main character...I can see why in the Avatar fanfic-dom that would be problematic. AtLA is a much more contained universe than some others that have a lot of OCs.

9/3/2011 #5
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member