Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
chromeknickers

The WFZ is a place where we can all chill and hold general conversations outside of the "great debate" and shipping wars. Talk about your day, your other favourite fandoms, likes and dislikes outside of AtLA. Who knows, maybe Kataangers and Zutarians have more in common than sharing the same fandom . . .

*hands out popcorn and soda*

9/3/2011 . Edited 9/3/2011 #1
Fullmetal Catalyst

Curious what sorts of books people have been reading in the last six months. I've been completely failing in the reading department since 2011 hit and seeing as I have lost access to my copies of all Madame Pettyfer's recommendations to me...well. Anything with dragons?

Who knows, maybe Avatar fans have more in common that sharing the same fandom

Fixed that for ya :D

9/3/2011 #2
chromeknickers

Fixed that for ya :D

Cheeky.

-

As for books - alas, I have no time anymore. Between work and writing and other obligations (and getting hit by cars), I've been one over-worked and bruised individual. And knackered - let's not forget knackered. However, I do love reading the classics. I can read them over and over again. I'm big into pre-revolutionary literature. The only fantasy books I've ever read, besides Tolkien's work, are the Wheel of Time series. And I only read those because my brother pointed out to me one day that I share a name with one of the minor characters.

EDIT: Even then, I only read the first book (of WoT) and don't remember much of it. And I've read the first three books of the Gunslinger series. That's fantasy, right?

9/3/2011 . Edited 9/3/2011 #3
chromeknickers

Cads (yes, I'm shortening your already short moniker), I just gave a short perusal of your profile and I see that you like Two Steps From Hell. That's ALL I listened to whilst attempting my first try at the post-apocalyptic genre. Inspiring music, that - and a great mood-setter.

9/3/2011 #4
Fullmetal Catalyst

Cheeky.

I try.

Cars? OUCH. Hope you're doing alright.

However, I do love reading the classics. I can read them over and over again. I'm big into pre-revolutionary literature.

Any particular classics to recommend? My knowledge is more limited than I wish it was in that region of literature.

9/3/2011 . Edited 9/3/2011 #5
chromeknickers

Cars? OUCH. Hope you're doing alright.

Yes, I'm fine now (it happened in May). Woefully out of shape now, though. Sigh. However, if I hadn't been in the accident, I would have never had a month and a half off work - and would have never started watching AtLA. :D (I try to look at the positive side of things.)

Any particular classics to recommend?

Crime and Punishment by Fydor Dostoevsky (or anything by him, really, including The Idiot). But if you want something with a chivalrous tone to it, I suggest going back further to read Cervantes's Don Quixote or Alexandre Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo or even Dante's Divine Comedy.

9/3/2011 #6
Fullmetal Catalyst

Cads (yes, I'm shortening your already short moniker), I just gave a short perusal of your profile and I see that you like Two Steps From Hell. That's ALL I listened to whilst attempting my first try at the post-apocalyptic genre. Inspiring music, that - and a great mood-setter.

Shortening Cadmos? Oh dear. How do I shorten yours...'Nito? Cog? Toe?

Two Steps From Hell...epic inspirational choirs and glorious orchestral grandeur rolled into two minute packages. Some of the movies that use their music don't deserve it (Twilight saga, the 5th Narnia trailer), but then it's tough to deserve tracks like that. Any particular songs you're a fan of?

Gunslinger...that's on my (short) rec list, but I can't find any copies. Can't say I've looked as hard as I should've, but regardless, it's on my list.

9/3/2011 #7
chromeknickers

Shortening Cadmos? Oh dear. How do I shorten yours...'Nito? Cog? Toe?

My name's Lia, which is fairly short to begin with, but Cogs is fine.

Any particular songs you're a fan of?

Sorry, I have Pink Floyd playing right now . . . kind of hard to concentrate. Uhm, Heart of Courage would have to be my favourite.

And the Gunslinger series is brill. My favourite is the second one, The Drawing of the Three. You can read it without reading the first, IMHO (mainly because that's what I did).

9/3/2011 #8
Fullmetal Catalyst

My name's Lia, which is fairly short to begin with, but Cogs is fine.

I'll probably switch off depending on mood, time of day, and most recent meal.

Sorry, I have Pink Floyd playing right now . . . kind of hard to concentrate. Uhm, Heart of Courage would have to be my favourite.

I don't know if I've heard much Pink Floyd, but a good friend recently described the unified-theme quality of Dark Side of the Moon and I was blown away even having heard only...I think just "Money" and nothing else. Don't blame you at all.

Yes, I'm fine now (it happened in May). Woefully out of shape now, though. Sigh. However, if I hadn't been in the accident, I would have never had a month and a half off work - and would have never started watching AtLA. :D (I try to look at the positive side of things.)

Ah, good. And the ways in which we're introduced to AtLA...glad you could take some good from the bad. At least you have a good reason to be woefully out of shape. I haven't played a full soccer game (more or less my primary exercise) in quite a while and it's going to start to show any day now.

Crime and Punishment by Fydor Dostoevsky (or anything by him, really, including The Idiot). But if you want something with a chivalrous tone to it, I suggest going back further to read Cervantes's Don Quixote or Alexandre Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo or even Dante's Divine Comedy.

I have Dostoevsky's Letters From the Underground sitting on my bookshelf somewhere. I'll hit the others as soon as I find a free weekend, but I've had some of Monte Cristo spoiled for me by an abridged version I read some years back.

9/3/2011 . Edited 9/3/2011 #9
chromeknickers

I'm listening to The Wall album, as a part of my post-apocalyptic song-mix. When I want a good song for a fighting scene, I play Nobuo Uematsu's One-Winged Angel. I can't help but chant Sephiroth at all the right places. :D

9/3/2011 #10
Mrs Pettyfer

I have lost access to my copies of all Madame Pettyfer's recommendations to me.

HAHA my rec. list is so long. All the books I read are young adult..usually a type of fantasy. :P

Random, but I totally think you should change your name to "He Who Must Not Be Named" or "Voldemort." I would roll over laughing. (Always wanted someone to do it..you're my guinea pig for the idea..hahaha)

9/3/2011 #11
chromeknickers

At least you have a good reason to be woefully out of shape. I haven't played a full soccer game (more or less my primary exercise) in quite a while and it's going to start to show any day now.

I haven't played football in years. I actually won my first scholarship for football, but I ended up fracturing my kneecap (well, I didn't - someone else did). Luckily I'm a swimmer - a non-contact sport. And thank God for that muscle memory, am I right?

9/3/2011 #12
Fullmetal Catalyst

HAHA my rec. list is so long. All the books I read are young adult..usually a type of fantasy. :P

Any awesome ones in particular? I know about Mortal Instruments and the other (Clockwork Angel?) that you rec'd.

Random, but I totally think you should change your name to "He Who Must Not Be Named" or "Voldemort." I would roll over laughing. (Always wanted someone to do it..you're my guinea pig for the idea..hahaha)

I would, but I finally got around a week ago to do some research into my own penname. Turns out Cadmus/Kadmos, in Greek mythology (I'm a bit of a Classics geek), not only slew a dragon and had children with the goddess Harmonia, but also introduced the Phoenician alphabet to the Greeks. I'm not sure I could leave that.

That's actually the best idea I've heard in a little while, though. Might need to invest in it soon.

I haven't played football in years. I actually won my first scholarship for football, but I ended up fracturing my kneecap (well, I didn't - someone else did). Luckily I'm a swimmer - a non-contact sport. And thank God for that muscle memory, am I right?

Thank God for muscle memory indeed. What position did you play as a footballer? I'm rather impressed by swimming - the exertion required to pull oneself through water with any kind of speed intimidates me. Although a pool can be the site of bloody warfare as well...did you ever play water polo?

9/3/2011 . Edited 9/3/2011 #13
Mrs Pettyfer

Any awesome ones in particular?

I really liked Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead...I think you'd like the elements mixed into it and the badass heroine. There are six books and the author just published the first book of the spin off series. :D Which I read in two days...so pathetic. Also The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa. It's sort of got an Alice in Wonderland feel. One of my favorite characters is a talking cat. Seriously. And maybe the brooding handsome prince...judge me.

Lol okay then Cadmos makes a pretty epic name.

9/3/2011 #14
chromeknickers

What position did you play as a footballer?

Sweeper. I was the aggressive sort, and the capt'n.

did you ever play water polo?

No, my ex was big into that, though. I was a competitive swimmer until just a few years ago, when I moved. I grew up near the ocean, so I've always been a swimmer - swimming, football, and the occasional floor hockey and co-ed baseball game. :D

9/3/2011 #15
Fullmetal Catalyst

One of my favorite characters is a talking cat.

I have a pair of cookies on my plate right now. If I could reach through the screen to give you one, I would.

Seriously. And maybe the brooding handsome prince...judge me.

I wish I could judge, but I have my own such addictions. Give me something with a dragon and I'm sold. I think I just have to accept that brooding handsome princes don't do it for me and move on... *sigh*

I remember you mentioned them recently. The elemental aspect will have me hooked, I'm sure. Vampires...as long as the mythology ain't screwy.

Sweeper. I was the aggressive sort, and the capt'n.

Hi Pot, I'm Kettle :D

No, my ex was big into that, though. I was a competitive swimmer until just a few years ago, when I moved. I grew up near the ocean, so I've always been a swimmer - swimming, football, and the occasional floor hockey and co-ed baseball game. :D

Envious. I wish I'd grown up near the ocean...I'm not sure how I'd feel if I lived near one, but the times I've made it to one end up being incredible days. Atmosphere just does it for me, and if the waves aren't swelling then a good round of beach volleyball or just reading in (hopefully) the sun...

Baseball is always fun...probably where I learned how to trash-talk, too.

9/3/2011 . Edited 9/3/2011 #16
chromeknickers

Hi Pot, I'm Kettle :D

Salut, Kettle. *waves* Ça va?

Envious. I wish I'd grown up near the ocean...

I grew up in South Africa and Australia - great waves, but lots of sharks. :P

Baseball is always fun...probably where I learned how to trash-talk, too.

No one ever takes my 'trash-talking' seriously. Maybe it's because I use slang most North Americans don't understand or when I use American slang, I sound downright silly.

9/3/2011 #17
Mrs Pettyfer

great waves, but lots of sharks.

Bah sharks are my greatest fear. I won't go far in the ocean at all. Scurry monsters.

or when I use American slang, I sound downright silly.

Lol let me hear your American slang. I'm American so I'm curious what other countries think of our slang. I always chuckle when I write Harry Potter FF because I try to use their phrases..like saying trousers instead of pants. I just think trousers is a funny word. :P

9/4/2011 . Edited 9/4/2011 #18
chromeknickers

I just think trousers is a funny word.

Pants is a funny word to me because it means underpants. :P I've been trying to use 'pants' in most of my American centred fics, like BBT, and in some of my AtLA fics because I'm not sure what Zuko's fancy trousers are called. More often than not, I call them fancy trousers. :P

Lol let me hear your American slang.

I've already frightened/amused a few friends with my liberal use of 'bra'. You'd just chortle. There are some words that should never be said with a British accent. :P

9/4/2011 #19
Fullmetal Catalyst

Salut, Kettle. *waves* Ça va?

Going well, merci beaucoup. (I haven't gotten very far with French yet...I probably need a year)

I grew up in South Africa and Australia - great waves, but lots of sharks. :P

I can see why that might potentially cause trouble. How close to shore are the sharks willing to swim?

I've already frightened/amused a few friends with my liberal use of 'bra'. You'd just chortle. There are some words that should never be said with a British accent. :P

Speaking of languages, there are entire languages that should never be spoken with most US accents. Doesn't stop us, of course, but the point stands.

I always chuckle when I write Harry Potter FF because I try to use their phrases..like saying trousers instead of pants.

Mmm, I'm curious. I read the US versions for all but the 2nd book, so I don't have a good handle on different the phrasings are (and how frequently the differences occur). Is it very noticeable? Why do you prefer to go for a British phrasing?

9/4/2011 . Edited 9/4/2011 #20
Mrs Pettyfer

I've already frightened/amused a few friends with my liberal use of 'bra'.

Hahaha I can't even imagine someone saying that with a british accent.

I'm not sure what Zuko's fancy trousers are called. More often than not, I call them fancy trousers.

I always refer to that outfit as a tunic. I'm not sure what else to call it...like the one he normally wears in season 3. Yeah someone told me pants meant underpants in british slang so I had to change my wording, haha.

I read the US versions for all but the 2nd book, so I don't have a good handle on different the phrasings are (and how frequently the differences occur). Is it very noticeable? Why do you prefer to go for a British phrasing?

Spellings are still American for the most part...it's just the phrases that are different. Like we spell "color" and they spell "colour" but in our books, it's "color." But with phrases, the ones I've caught are: Mum for mom/mother. Trousers for pants. Jumper for sweater. Bloke for guy. Knickers for underwear for girls. Pavement for sidewalk. Corridor for hallway.

Those are just some off the top of my head. I've read the books A LOT and have been reading FF for awhile. I personally try to keep with British slang since it's a British based book. I don't change my spellings to like colour, but I do try to keep the slang the same. Makes it have a more real feel to it I think. I personally don't like reading HPFF when it's screaming American.

9/4/2011 #21
chromeknickers

I always refer to that outfit as a tunic.

To me, the tunic is the outer-layer, which is more often than not, a vest or apron (kind of like the outer top he wears over his trousers in season 2 or what Toph wears over her green trousers). The problem with AtLA is that everything's a hybrid, so even if you used a correct Japanese or Chinese term, they can never seem to have a handle on their preferences, so I say b*** to the lot of them.

I write BBT fiction, which is an American series, and I use BrE spelling but AmE slang. It would make no sense for them to use BrE slang unless they were mocking a Brit. But the BBT fic I wrote for the Big Bang Big Bang challenge is totally done in AmE. Even with American spell-check, I was spelling words like 'travelling' or 'pyjamas' or using quotations differently. It was rather frustrating. :P

9/4/2011 #22
redpinkandwhite

... Since I came in a little late, I might as well just ask my question. No better time than the present, eh? (Sorry if I'm disrupting the talk...)

Anyone else completely pumped for 'The Avengers' in 2012? Or the new Superman/Batman/Spiderman movies?

9/4/2011 #23
Mrs Pettyfer

The new Avengers is like with all the marvel characters, right? That will either be really cool or really bad. lol I wonder who the main character will be. I'm guessing Capt. America or Iron Man. :P I'm personally not excited for Spiderman..since it's basically just redoing the first movie. Same concept, different cast. Blah. Three movies was enough for me. I AM excited for The Dark Knight Rises though. Except that Anne Hathaway is Catwoman. I'm sorry but I have a problem seeing her in a sexy role. I love her playing awkward and funny..but sexy..no.

9/4/2011 #24
redpinkandwhite

It's not quite ALL of the Marvel characters. It's Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk, Captain America, Black Widow (Scarlett Johannsen), and Hawkeye (archer in Thor movie). With Loki being the villain, and possibly some of the other characters. Schmidt, the bad guy from Captain America, might come back, and Doom. Not sure on the bad guys, though. Loki's the only one I'm sure of.

I think the Avengers as a group are the main character. I know they are going to do a sequel to Thor to tie up some loose ends after the Avengers, so most of the personal things for each of the superheroes should be tied up in other movies that isn't the Avengers.

That's kinda what I say. Apparently, it seems a little more mature, more serious than the first series, but I think they launched it too early. If they had waited for a few more years, it probably would have been held with more open arms, but they are deciding to release it now. Can't exactly stop it now. But, I don't think I'm going to go see it. I don't think it's all that worth it.

Yes. The new Batman movie I am completely excited for. Though, about the whole Anne Hathaway thing, you never know. I guess you are right in the sense that she has only played a lot of younger, awkward movies, but I think that she might be able to pull this off. I mean, you never know until you try, right? We'll just have to see what comes of it. I hope that she doesn't do a bad job. I really want Catwoman to come to the good side and help out Bruce. It would be awesome! :)

9/4/2011 #25
Mrs Pettyfer

Yeah after seeing Capt. America, the ending really set up the Avengers. :P I wish Natalie Portman was it in since Thor is in it. Pepper is in it, right? The leads and their women should be in it! haha

I saw Anne in Love and Other Drugs and was VERY uncomfortable watching her through n*** love scenes. lol It's just weird for me. She's not horrible at being sexy by any means, it's just not what I prefer to see her as. I don't know..I just wish they chose someone else. Still a bit sad the director killed Rachel Dawes though.

9/4/2011 #26
redpinkandwhite

Yeah, I know, right? The Avengers is totally coming now. No doubt about that. XD I think all of the leading ladies should be in it. Pepper is definitely coming back. I don't know about Natalie Portman, though. It doesn't show her in the cast listings, so maybe when Thor comes back to earth, he and Jane don't meet up... We'll find out, I guess, if she comes back. But Pepper is a for sure.

Ooh... Yeah. That movie. She was bad with that, eh? I don't know. Maybe she will get better after 'Love and Other Drugs' and hopefully pull off a good Catwoman. Or maybe you will be able to get used to her playing a sexy character. We'll just have to find out.

Rachel Dawes? What happened there?

Oh, and I just want to say, I'm reading your 'Dirty Dancing' story. Very entertaining! :) I like it.

9/4/2011 #27
Mrs Pettyfer

Rachel Dawes? What happened there?

Well, she died. :( The Joker told Batman the wrong addresses..so when Batman showed up to save Rachel, it was really Harvey Dent. So Rachel blew up.

I'm reading your 'Dirty Dancing' story. Very entertaining!

Lol thanks! It was a fun story to write. I love that pairing. I just finished my novella with them not too long ago. :D

9/4/2011 #28
redpinkandwhite

Well, she died. :( The Joker told Batman the wrong addresses..so when Batman showed up to save Rachel, it was really Harvey Dent. So Rachel blew up.

Oh. I don't remember this at all. Unless... was Rachel married to Two Face? Or am I completely confused to how the movie panned out...?

Lol thanks! It was a fun story to write. I love that pairing. I just finished my novella with them not too long ago. :D

You're welcome! I find that I am enjoying that pairing as well. It's a lot like Hermione and Draco, but later on.

Wait. Are you talking about 'White Flag'? I'm reading that one, too. That one is good as well. Do your fanfictions that you create go slightly hand-in-hand? I've noticed a lot of them have familiar points in them.

9/4/2011 #29
chromeknickers

A Dramione fan? *dramatic* Noooooooooooooooooooo! :P

9/4/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member