Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Fullmetal Catalyst

We've needed this for some time. May include SPOILERS, whether from trailers or episode clips or what have you.

So you've been warned :P

First episode is premiering on April 14th. There's a FB page around somewhere -- if they get a certain # of likes/shares, they'll be releasing the first episode online on March 24th. It's also been leaked already ^_^

Looks absolutely incredible. It has a lot of the same goofiness as AtLA, but it's definitely a show for an older crowd. For AtLA, Amira tells me, they had the staff watch Fooly Cooly (which, sure enough, is about a boy growing up)...I've been told by several buddies that for Korra, they had the staff watch Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist, a notable difference in theme and maturity. Much more steampunkish, the treatment of issues seems more adult even when it's funny, and I don't think Republic City is all glowing towers. Seems like a very 1910s/20s/30s setting, except with bending.

Oh, and I got a dark vibe from Amon that Zuko and even Azula could NEVER hope to match. He's going to be AWESOME.

Korra is not Aang, let's lay this out right now. She's just as adorable, though...and just as flawed. Her impetuousness is going to get her in SERIOUS trouble. It's also going to have me laughing my rear off.

Mark your calendars. April 14th. That's a Saturday. Morning if you live between the Atlantic and the Date Line.

3/18/2012 #1
Mrs Pettyfer

Very excited for this! I'm not a huge fan of the music though..I prefer the original stuff. :P But that's just personal taste I suppose. How about the trolling of Zuko's mom? lol SO MEAN! But Tenzin's kids are adorable.

And where was the fun music during the credits!! That upset me more than it should.

3/19/2012 . Edited 3/19/2012 #2
TigerShadow

The Zuko's mom thing? That was more trollage than Rick Riordan could ever pull off.

Just saw the first two episodes on Korra Nation...and I adore Mako and Bolin. :D I'd like some of the original music, too, but the theme music is compensation enough, in my opinion. RELEASE BOTH OSTs ON iTUNES NAO PLZ. l:(

3/24/2012 #3
Mrs Pettyfer

SO trollish. So mean. It'll probably be like that throughout the series where Jinora asks and gets cut off every time. What makes me curious though is that she said she was reading the old adventures, and was wondering what happened to Ursa. So that implies that Katara didn't write down what happened with her. Hm.

Mako and Bolin are pure win. There's sort of a familiarity that you get from Sokka and Zuko, but Mako and Bolin are different enough that they aren't carbon copies. I love Korra and her temper, too. And Tenzin, the poor guy, having to deal with it. I already love that relationship forming. And the girls and Meelo. Adorable. All the characters are win..even the bush guy. hahaha Mako was a bamf in the bending match, too. I wonder if they're only allowed to bend in that style..like jabs of fire. Because I think Zuko's huge wave of fire could have knocked everyone down a lot faster...lol

3/24/2012 . Edited 3/24/2012 #4
Fullmetal Catalyst

Spoilers.

I laughed so hard at the Ursa trolling (I'm one of those heartless souls who really doesn't care what happened to her as long as it wasn't awful). On the humor note...the expressions are hilarious in the first episode. That whole "I'm watching you" from Korra to Bei Fong and the Chief's response. Then there's the humor in the second episode. Meelo: "Yeah Daddy you're a bad teacher!" Jinora in response to Tenzin about teenagers...too good.

Mako and Bolin and Korra...I'm a sucker for triumvirates. They're going to be such a fun group to follow. It's bad (read that as AWESOME) enough that they've already found a certain camaraderie, and now they're actually an official team? And who else thought Bolin and Korra were entirely convincing about knowing each other?

I'm so far unimpressed with Mako's bending. I think the b*** is holding back (Pettyfer's theory might be correct here)...I'm getting vibes of reservedness from him so far, and I think it comes out in his bending. Bolin's also holding back, but he impressed me with what he's shown of his style. It's almost like a combination of Air and Earth -- follow the battle, light on your feet, then exert all your force at the right moment.

@Pettyfer: Regarding the bending power, it's also possible that they're simply not as strong as Zuko. The guy - future Firelord - beat Azula, a prodigy who (after Ozai and Iroh) was probably the strongest Firebender in the world. That said, it's definitely controlled, much like the Earth Rumble. If Toph needed to win, she could've just brought down the entire cavern. Unfortunately, you don't win the crowd like that o_O

One thing's for sure: this is an entirely different show than AtLA.

P.S. Anyone know any really populated Korra forums? I won't disappear from here, but I can't say this board is moving at lightspeed.

3/24/2012 . Edited 3/24/2012 #5
Mrs Pettyfer

I just re-watched the bending match. I really think it's the style of the games, since it appears to be based off MMA or boxing. It's probably in the rules, also, that they have to hold back. There seems to be a certain supply of water--otherwise, Korra could pull all that water up from below the stage. And with earthbending, they have to use those disks, which would obviously hurt a lot less than say a giant rock flying through the air. :P So since they can't contain fire like that, perhaps the firebenders can only do jabs and bursts.

It's hard to judge other firebenders fairly after the awesomeness of the royal family, haha. I miss their style. Azula's was one of my favorites. I want to see Mako firebend outside the constraints of the bending matches. I have a feeling Korra will teach him her style and he'll teach her his. Just think how epic it would have been to see Katara, Toph and Zuko. *sighs*

I kind of feel like the show has lost some of the Asian influence a little. :/ Seems more American or European or something. I don't know..it's hard to explain. I hope Korra goes to Ba Sing Se and the Fire Nation at some point and doesn't stay in the city the whole time.

Anyone know any really populated Korra forums?

I couldn't find any so I stayed here...lol

3/24/2012 . Edited 3/24/2012 #6
TigerShadow

Jinora in response to Tenzin about teenagers...too good.

It was so deadpanned, and really, that kind of made the whole thing.

I'm so far unimpressed with Mako's bending. I think the b*** is holding back (Pettyfer's theory might be correct here)...I'm getting vibes of reservedness from him so far, and I think it comes out in his bending.

I think it's kind of like Spock's reservedness, like if he ever did really go for it emotionally, it might put someone's life on the line. When it comes to bending, yeah, I think it's a rule that they have to be reserved--like how they provide earth for bending. I like how Korra wasn't an instant trump card, just add water (pun intended)--she really had to come through on her own, not just because she was the Avatar.

It's almost like a combination of Air and Earth -- follow the battle, light on your feet, then exert all your force at the right moment.

That's what I was thinking...pretty much the whole time he was talking to her. I wondered for a bit if it was going to translate into her Airbending training, which was only confirmed in the end.

Just think how epic it would have been to see Katara, Toph and Zuko. *sighs*

WANT.

Seems more American or European or something.

It kind of goes with the idea that these are different shows--whereas Avatar is drawn from Asian culture circa the Renaissance, Korra is drawn from the Roaring Twenties.

I hope Korra goes to Ba Sing Se and the Fire Nation at some point and doesn't stay in the city the whole time.

It would be pretty cool to see how places like Ba Sing Se, Omashu, and the Fire Nation changed, because those are already established cities that were into that Asian culture and Republic City sounds to me like it was just sort of made on the spot.

Anyone know any really populated Korra forums?

I think that this forum will probably get kicked up again once the show officially starts running and more people get back into the fandom. Don't leave us just yet, Cadmos. ;)

3/24/2012 #7
Fullmetal Catalyst

I think it's kind of like Spock's reservedness, like if he ever did really go for it emotionally, it might put someone's life on the line. When it comes to bending, yeah, I think it's a rule that they have to be reserved--like how they provide earth for bending. I like how Korra wasn't an instant trump card, just add water (pun intended)--she really had to come through on her own, not just because she was the Avatar.

Good point, and about the Airbending training. I want to see them all I was quite pleased to see Korra goofing up in both episodes because, let's be real here, she has no idea how anything works. She's a strong-willed young woman with a forward attitude, an impetuousness that no character in the first show could match...and she's in a completely alien environment with a 1984-esque police system and a utopian urban vision turned sour. Yikes.

But Bolin has proven to be a good influence on her so far. It'll be cool to see how he and Mako and Tenzin help her out with her non-native elements. For example, she's fiery, but I wonder how much she knows about the dragons. She's steadfast, sturdy, but does she know how to wait and listen?

It kind of goes with the idea that these are different shows--whereas Avatar is drawn from Asian culture circa the Renaissance, Korra is drawn from the Roaring Twenties.

True, though specifically the Roaring Twenties in the farther East. Not just the triads, either -- considering what was going on in (e.g.) China during the '20s and the very name, "Equalists"...I'm interested in seeing where the creators take this stuff.

Don't worry, TS, I'm here to stay :P Even if I weren't in the middle of writing four (more like seven...damn my schedule) stories, I'd stick with this forum so long as it remained active.

PS: I was watching that "pre-Korra" bit and my ears caught a familiar tune toward the end...replayed it, and yes, the final track played is "Black Blade" by Two Steps From Hell. Couldn't determine the others, though. If anyone figures out the remaining tracks, let me know, because that music is stellar!

3/24/2012 #8
Mrs Pettyfer

and she's in a completely alien environment with a 1984-esque police system and a utopian urban vision turned sour.

I thought it was hysterical when she cooked fish in the park and ran down the street on a polar bear dog.

So will this show a new episode every Saturday? How does the scheduling work?

3/24/2012 #9
Fullmetal Catalyst

Still officially premiering on the 14th. Episodes 1 and 2 will be shown. I assume they'll do one a week after that except for the season finale, which I suspect will be another two-parter. So yeah...we do have to wait until April 21st for a new episode. That said, not regretting watching these so early. Not regretting it in the slightest.

Although I must say, I dont' see Naga playing nearly the role that Appa played in AtLA. Guess there had to be a downside somewhere.

3/25/2012 #10
Mrs Pettyfer

Ohhh okay, gotcha. ;)

I forgot to mention if anyone thought this interesting. In one of the trailers/previews Amon says "the Avatar has arrived early. Looks like we'll have to excelerate our plans." Kind of sounds like he was expecting her. Makes me wonder how he knew she was coming.

3/26/2012 #11
Fullmetal Catalyst

*Spoils*

*Just for Chapter One*

I figured he knew that the Avatar would come eventually. It's been seventeen (arguably eighteen) years since Aang's death, "the city's falling out of balance" as those oppressive benders would like to put it, and he's been preparing this for some time. It couldn't have been that far off. And as far as acceleration goes, well, I didn't think he seemed awfully disturbed by her arrival. Makes me wonder if Korra's presence isn't helpful to him, rather than harmful...after all, "destroy" need not be physical, and there's that scene in Chapter 1 with Korra and the Equalist soapbox...she'll be rather self-destructive until she learns from Aang a bit.

I'm highly anticipating the reveal of what his plans actually are. The first episode has so many thoughts running laps in my mind.

By the way, they took the eps down off Korranation. Apparently the two were only up for the weekend. April 14th it is, then.

Speaking of Amon, the "Amorra" crackship is actually raising its anchor. I'm so proud. *wipes away a tear* *is shot*

3/29/2012 #12
TigerShadow

Speaking of Amon, the "Amorra" crackship is actually raising its anchor. I'm so proud. *wipes away a tear* *is shot*

*is holding the page image gun for BFG on TV Tropes and high-fiving Mrs Pettyfer*

3/29/2012 . Edited 3/29/2012 #13
Mrs Pettyfer

Haha if Amon is young enough and "good looking" he'll be shipped with Korra, no doubt. His voice sounds a bit too old though. I suppose that doesn't stop some people....(Snape/Hermione..*cringes*)

I think it'll be interesting because Amon might have a point. I can see how benders would be treated more highly than nonbenders. I don't think Amon killing the Avatar and attacking benders--if he is--would be the right settlement, however. But I think it will give Korra something to address, to make sure benders and non-benders are treated equally.

EDIT: Spoilers!!

Whoooaaa so in a new preview clip, there is a fraction of a second where Korra and Mako kiss. Mako looks very shocked, haha. But since tomorrow is April Fool's Day, I wouldn't be shocked if this was some trolling.

3/29/2012 . Edited 3/31/2012 #14
fan-freak121

Guess what? Guess what, guess what? Oh my God! The t.v. show that we have all been waiting for has finally been announced on Nick! It will air on April 14th! The premaire for it looked Amazing! I can't wait to watch it! fangirl scream, I'm so excited that it has finally been announced!!!!!!!!I can't wait until the first episode!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah! Finally.

4/1/2012 #15
TigerShadow

Whoooaaa so in a new preview clip, there is a fraction of a second where Korra and Mako kiss. Mako looks very shocked, haha. But since tomorrow is April Fool's Day, I wouldn't be shocked if this was some trolling.

I dunno; looks pretty legit to me. -runs off to squee over new Fire/Water ship-

4/1/2012 #16
Amira Elizabeth

Yeah, it did look legit. But knowing Nick's marketing tactics, who knows. I'm not feeling either Makorra or Korralin (or whatever that one is called). Just not feeling very shippy in this series. I think the only thing romance or ship-wise I have liked is Tenzin and Pema. I love them. I love their family.

I don't see me shipping this series. Not like I did A:tLA and Kataang.

(and OMG! Amira actually wrote something and posted it in here account. LOL. It's been so long)

4/1/2012 . Edited 4/1/2012 #17
TigerShadow

Korralin (or whatever that one is called).

I think that's the most popular one, yeah.

I think the only thing romance or ship-wise I have liked is Tenzin and Pema. I love them. I love their family.

I don't know why, but I'm wondering if Pema doesn't have a bit of Ty Lee in her--the facial structure of her and her kids comes to mind, as well as Ikki's bubbly nature. -shrug- Would be interesting.

4/2/2012 #18
Mrs Pettyfer

Haha I love Ikki, even with the Zuko mother trolling thing. She's adorable. Tenzin dealing with a teenage girl is just as great as Iroh dealing with a teenage boy. I adored the relationship with Iroh and Zuko, so I'm looking forward to Tenzin and Korra.

I'm personally excited for the romance this time around, more so than ATLA because these guys are closer to my actual age. I feel--what's the right word..more comfortable?--shipping 17+ year olds versus 14 and under. How old are Bolin and Mako? I thought I read somewhere they're 18 and 20 but that might not be right. It's funny because I never realized how young Zuko or Sokka looked till I saw Bolin and Mako in comparison, haha.

I think that's the most popular one, yeah.

Really? I swear I see Borra more..hm.

4/2/2012 #19
Fullmetal Catalyst

The family dynamic is one of my favorite additions. Didn't have very much of it last time around, and it's going to be awesome to see Korra work within that. She's going to need that base...

Just saw that preview. Nick is trolling the Makorra fandom so hard. Not because it won't happen, that will be as it will...but because, let's face it, how badly do you want to see that episode now? :P

How old are Bolin and Mako?

Old enough that they can compete in pro-bending, young enough that they treat Korra like a fellow teen. Any estimate in the 16-22 range would probably work, but they both seem older than Zuko from what we've seen so far.

(and OMG! Amira actually wrote something and posted it in here account. LOL. It's been so long)

Must read...but...must...play soccer...

You'll have a review coming in five hours.

4/2/2012 #20
TigerShadow

Tenzin dealing with a teenage girl is just as great as Iroh dealing with a teenage boy. I adored the relationship with Iroh and Zuko, so I'm looking forward to Tenzin and Korra.

I never thought about it that way, but you're right, that does make sense. Korra seems like a more heroic Zuko, methinks.

I feel--what's the right word..more comfortable?--shipping 17+ year olds versus 14 and under.

I think it's because they're mature enough to start to actually understand what love and romance is and the difference between friendships and love stories.

It's funny because I never realized how young Zuko or Sokka looked till I saw Bolin and Mako in comparison, haha.

It's also funny because we think about how mature Zuko, Katara, and Sokka look...and then we get the design for a 17-year-old girl and two guys around that age and then we realize just how much younger all of the original characters look. I think it's also a matter of art evolution, too; the proportions are much more realistic in TLoK than in A:tLA.

Nick is trolling the Makorra fandom so hard.

They trolled both the Maikoans and the Zutarians with that Season Three trailer, as I recall; I think there was also some trollage behind the DoBS kiss in the trailer.

4/2/2012 #21
Mrs Pettyfer

I think there was also some trollage behind the DoBS kiss in the trailer.

Uh, yeah. Showing Katara pull away from Aang's kiss and then a scene where she throws herself at Zuko. Even though we can easily see they're not the same scene, it was purposely set up that way. They wanted fans on their toes wondering if Katara would get with Aang or, perhaps, get closer to Zuko. (Although that definitely seems unlikely to happen in a season..but that's a marketing technique for ya)

I have to say my theory on Korra being oblivious to Mako's crush has been crushed. New clip released that was titled "Today's content is a clip of Korra training as she is interrupted by her fire-bending crush, Mako." So apparently she DOES develop a crush, haha. Here is the dialogue to go with the clip in case you are interested:

SPOILERS AHEAD:

"Oh, he's cute." - Ikki

"Korra, is that the handsome firebender boy that drives you crazy?" - Jinora

"Does he drive you crazy in a bad way? Or does he drive you crazy like you like him?" - Ikki

*Korra makes a crazy face and earthbends them away*

lmao

4/3/2012 . Edited 4/3/2012 #22
TigerShadow

That was marvelous. Korra's reaction was hysterical.

4/4/2012 #23
Mrs Pettyfer

Lol I know, right? I'm just going to throw out the idea that maybe Amon is an energybender. Or has the ability, somehow, to take away bending. I saw a still from a trailer that looks very similar to when Aang took away Ozai's bending.

4/5/2012 . Edited 4/6/2012 #24
TigerShadow

Here are my thoughts on Bumi:

a. He is Amon/high-ranking Equalist (being the only nonbender in a family of bending prodigies must really suck, after all) or

b. He was more optimistic like both Aang and the original Bumi and decided to develop another skill and got crazy awesome sword training from Uncle Sokka (who must have gone on some kind of epic quest to retrieve Space Sword and learned a fabulous new skill along the way).

I saw a still from a trailer that looks very similar to when Aang took away Ozai's bending.

I saw that thing, too. If I didn't remember that it was a cartoon, I might have nightmares. That was one freaky face.

When this new series is done, it's probably going to have even more AMVs to "Requiem For A Tower/Dream" than its predecessor did.

4/7/2012 #25
Fullmetal Catalyst

When this new series is done, it's probably going to have even more AMVs to "Requiem For A Tower/Dream" than its predecessor did.

AtLA had AMVs to "Requiem"? Where have I been???

I see that happening. Although a piece more steampunkish or grittier might work better for this series, but I'll leave that decision to people with talent at AMVs. I am TOO excited for this series right now, I can't even DESCRIBE...Two weeks for a new episode!

Oh, and I think I should mention...well, who has iTunes? Go to the store. Type in "Korra".

???

Profit.

4/8/2012 #26
TigerShadow

AtLA had AMVs to "Requiem"? Where have I been???

Go on YouTube and watch "Avatar - Their Final Battles" by AnimeHodgepodge. It is HOLYCRAPYES. Probably the best executed "Requiem" AMV out there.

I am TOO excited for this series right now, I can't even DESCRIBE...Two weeks for a new episode!

-imitates Foamy-

4/8/2012 #27
Mrs Pettyfer

TS, have you been seeing these Makorra clips Korra Nation is putting out? Oh my shipping heart is bursting, haha. I think they're so adorable, in the best of ways. I can't believe I'm finding a ship adorable and not gagging. Somehow their personalities and interactions accomplish that. When we first heard about their personalities, I was expecting a bit more..antagonistic behavior. But Mako isn't as brooding as I expected, and Korra isn't as hot headed toward him as I expected. I suppose that can always change..haha. But still.

4/18/2012 #28
TigerShadow

Oh, I know, right? Mako/Korra is my new Avatar OTP.

I thought it was hysterical when she cooked fish in the park

And the massively gleeful on her face as she does so just sells it.

So...any theories on "The Revelation"? Because I totally have one.

4/18/2012 . Edited 4/18/2012 #29
fan-freak121

You know what's funny? When I first heard about this before we found out that Mako and Bolin were brothers I assumed that Boiln would be the laid back type and Mako would be the serious one; and I was right. I found that neat.

Mm, I have a theory; unless somebody has read the comics of the aftermath that I heard are about I think that Azula somehow managed to escape or regain her sanity or whatever was left of it before she went loco. I think the unknown villian is her son. Or grandson.

But of course that's just me. You know what's funny? I watched the first episode when it first premaired and then it aired on Tuesday; right? My mom and I watched it because I told her about The Avatar series. We watch the first episode and where Korra is watching them bend in the match and Korra has that look at Mako my mom goes they like each other. I thought that was funny to see that she saw it. I thought it when I first watched it too. Hopefully the crew doesn't screw us over and wait until they have a bunch of Mako/Korra shippers only to ship Bolin/Korra. That would suck!

4/18/2012 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TimeWitch'93
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member