Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
goodybags

Let's say there was no romance in the series finale. This means there's no canon for Kataang. Let's discuss the logic of Zutara and Kataang then if they didn't show Kataang/Maiko at the end.

Remember. FINALE (Phoenix King - Avatar Aang). NO ROMANCE. A CLIFFHANGER. NO CANON.

Zutara vs. Kataang. Which would make more sense and why? Without canon romance in the finale, how would you guys justify your ships? GO!

9/4/2012 . Edited 9/4/2012 #1
Mrperson01

Kataang was obvious since the first episode. Since it's a kid's show, they would have stuck with that "crush blooming into true love" logic. Zutara really had nothing going for it.

9/4/2012 #2
goodybags

So can you elaborate on that? How was it obvious since the beginning? From what I watched there were no hints that there was going to be romance between the two.

9/4/2012 #3
TigerShadow
From what I watched there were no hints that there was going to be romance between the two.

So a massively obvious crush that was there from the first episode ("Why are you staring at me like that?" "Oh, no reason."), at least three cheek kisses instigated by Katara, one did-they/didn't-they kiss in CoTL, a kiss instigated by Aang, Aang seeing Katara in sparkles in "The Fortuneteller", Aang considering Katara kissing Jet in "Lake Laogai" a bad idea, and the Kataango in "The Headband" constitute no hints of romance?

9/4/2012 #4
Mrperson01

So can you elaborate on that? How was it obvious since the beginning? From what I watched there were no hints that there was going to be romance between the two.

Aang had an obvious crush on Katara since the very first episode. That, along with the knowledge that this is a kid's show, is grounds for Aang and Katara eventually getting together, since the hero always gets the girl.

So a massively obvious crush that was there from the first episode ("Why are you staring at me like that?" "Oh, no reason."), at least three cheek kisses instigated by Katara, one did-they/didn't-they kiss in CoTL, a kiss instigated by Aang, Aang seeing Katara in sparkles in "The Fortuneteller", Aang considering Katara kissing Jet in "Lake Laogai" a bad idea, and the Kataango in "The Headband" constitute no hints of romance?

Don't forget that in "The Fortuneteller", Katara realized that the old lady's prediction may come true, as she realized that Aang was "a strong bender" or whatever Madam Wu's (forgot if that was her name) prediction was. The lady may be a fake, but Katara's realization isn't.

9/4/2012 #5
TigerShadow

In answer to the original post, I have to say that the only pairing that makes sense post-finale is Katara/Aang. Mai/Zuko is a bit grayer, but Katara/Aang makes the most sense post-canon finale. Now, if one were to, say, have Zuko join the Gaang after CoD, and then ask which pairing had more merit if you took it in a post-finale direction, it's not as clear-cut, and Zuko/Katara could very well happen if you know how to take the characters in that direction.

9/8/2012 #6
The Cretin

While I respect Zutarans, I have to go with Kataang. Makes more sense. Their characters stack up to each other better. It was obvious from the first episode. After such an event as the Great War or whatever fans want to call it, Katara would probably go the route that offered the most peace. A life with Aang seems more peaceful to me.

Zuko may very well be a factor for peace in the New World but he's the ruler of a nation. The very nation that was the aggressor. He would probably have more turbulent times to go through. Mai would seem a better pick for such a time. She would know the intrigues of the courts and be a better Fire Lady to support the Fire Lord.

At least that's how I see it. K/A would go for peace and Z/M would go for support. Each to their own though.

9/13/2012 #7
GuiltlessShame

It's gonna sound like I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I'm just getting all the "facts" out there.

Kataang was obvious from the start. If it wasn't canon, that would be the strongest argument. They did kiss several times, so "obviously" it would bloom into something more. However, people do change their minds and meet new people. Aang and Katara were young at the end of the series, so they could have separated. Zutara also had the famous duel between Azula and Zuko at the end going for them.

There is one problem though, and that's the problem of Maiko. Even if they didn't show them make up at the end of the series, it was heavily implied when Mai saved Zuko at the Boiling Rock. Not to mention the fact that they're FREAKING PERFECT for each other.

So, with all that laid out, I'll go with Kataang.

2/20/2013 #8
Kaizen Kitty

I agree with TigerShadow

Now, if one were to, say, have Zuko join the Gaang after CoD, and then ask which pairing had more merit if you took it in a post-finale direction, it's not as clear-cut, and Zuko/Katara could very well happen if you know how to take the characters in that direction.

finale ZuTara makes no sense -- Zuko wouldn't abandon Mai. The only logical (in canon)option for ZuTara is Zuko joining the GAang in CoD.

10/20/2013 #9
The Cretin

As the title suggests, CoD was definitely the "crossroads". I have to wonder if Bryke had subtle meanings behind the ep. They decided a lot of things for the show in that one episode.

10/25/2013 #10
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member