Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
The Lightning Knight

Ok, I'm not bashing you or anything, but here are a couple of things I'm wondering about what Zutarians think: 1. When did Zutara start? Was it when Zuko said, "I'll save you from the pirates"? When did everyone think Zutara? 2. If Zuko and Katara DID end up together, what about Aang? You can't deny that he likes her, and I bet that even you Zutarians don't want to see him upset. How would he get through it? Would he date Toph or Meng? Would he let go of his love for her? What would happen?

8/17/2008 #1
dark twilight mistress

Thanks for not bashing. As a Zutarian, I really, really appreciate that. Two cookies for you!! =) I'll do my best to answer your questions, but keep in mind what I write here is MY opinion, and not necessarily the opinion of the Zutarian fandom as a whole.

To answer your first question, "When did Zutara start?" I don't know about everybody else, but for me, Zutara started in the episode in season two called "The Chase." If you remember, there is a scene at the end of that episode where Zuko looks upon his hurt Uncle Iroh, absolutely devastated, yelling at the Gaang to get away from them. Katara comes up to him and offers her help. To me, that's where it all began. Her kindness really touched Zuko as we saw much, much later in the show. My belief in Zutara was furthered along by the season two finale, when Katara and Zuko were stuck together in the crystal catacombs of old Ba Sing Se. They opened up to each other in ways they've never been able to open up before. I thought that was so beautiful a moment, and that it would connect them. That's my opinion of how Zutara started.

To answer your second question, "If Zuko and Katara DID end up together, what about Aang?" Let me tell you something. I was a Kataang fan at first. But then when Toph came into the picture, when Aang had that vision of her, something snapped in my mind and told me they should be together. I can't exactly explain it, though I am a notorious fan of the phrase "opposites attract." I think that Aang is a very understanding person, and what Toph really needs (in my opinion) is a guy who will listen to her problems and help her. And who better to do that job and love her than Aang, the Avatar?

So, I don't know if that helps at all, but that's my opinion. Hope it was worth reading! =)

8/17/2008 #2
icarus enjoyed the view

sorry if this sounds mean, but it came into my head so i just had to say it.

yes aang likes her, but that doesnt mean she is required to like him back (she does, but that not the point) lots of people fall in love, lots of people develop crushes, especially around aang and kataras age. as much as i dont want aang to be hurt, i have to admit that it is a part of life. people get emotionally hurt every day. you yourself must have liked soemone who didnt like you back, or who di and then stopped, or who even dated you and then broke up with you.

this all sounds really negative, but i just thought it was worth saying.

8/17/2008 #3
The Lightning Knight

No, that's never happened to me. Lol.

8/18/2008 #4
trueroyalblue

I don't really know when I first started to like Zutara... it might've been in the beginning of Season 2, or in The Waterbending Scroll when Zuko tied her to a tree. There were so many subtle hints in the first and second seasons, I was just convinced ZK would happen!

But what do Kataang people like Kataang? I'm curious.

8/18/2008 #5
The Lightning Knight

I like the whole Aang-has-an-obvious-crush-but-Katara-is-completely-oblivious thing. Also, she kissed his cheek THREE times! Big sisters don't kiss their little brother, even on the cheek, three times (most people not at all.)

8/18/2008 #6
dark twilight mistress

I beg to differ. I personally am a big sister with one little brother, and I've kissed him on the cheek PLENTY of times. And we're the same ages as Katara and Aang: 14 and 12!

8/18/2008 #7
RueBroadway

But what do Kataang people like Kataang? I'm curious.

Even though I'm not really a Katang-er...

I like Katang because I its defies western logic of what is an acceptable relationship. He's younger than her, shorter than her, yet more mature than her (or at least equally). In most stories, the girl is the 'light and hope' for the guy, but in Katang (the way I see it) Aang is Katara's hope. Their relationship is mutually beneficial to both. It's so cliche but so progressive at the same time.

8/19/2008 #8
icarus enjoyed the view

about the whole u dont kiss ur younger brother on the cheek thing, i also beg to differ. i not only kiss my little brothers on the cheek, but also my friends (guys and girls). its a form of greeting and expresses happiness, as well as romantic feelings. ive even kissed people on the cheek out of gratitude, which is something i can see happening with kataang.

8/21/2008 #9
OAsIsblUE72

i agree with that aswell, about the kiss on the cheek thing. im a zutara fan aswell. idk when i started liking them together, but i guess ever since the begining i could picture them together and think they were an insanely cute couple. not that katang is bad er anything. i just dont like them to gether, they dont look as cute to me. but thats just my opinion.

8/28/2008 #10
Amira Elizabeth

Why do Kataang people like Kataang?

Well, personally I think it has been very well done. Avatar is not all about romance and they kept it a lot of times in the B-storyline or as a background plotpoint. It showed that these are kids who despite the war and their big task, they had feelings and the concerns most people have in terms of romance and relationship (especially at their ages). It made them very real and didn't have this soap-opera vibe with them. I always felt that their relationship was very natural, it hit bumps and issues, but it was not forced. Just sort of flowed along with the story. Aang and Katara seem to complete each other, they seem to be the one each other was lacking.

A girl who was growing up in a war, lost important things, at times seemed almost smothered by her circumstances found a boy who was lost, confused, and who needed someone to believe in him. He helped give the girl her wings so to speak, opportunities. And they both came away whole, beautiful, strong people. Despite the battles, the struggle, Aang and Katara found each other (not her finding him in the iceburg, but her finding someone she connected with completely). That is why their bond is so strong.

Ah well, I'll stop rambling...LOL

8/28/2008 #11
Rebecca Cunningham

The question for Zutarains is when did all of a sudden in some stories/ fan arts I see Zutarain! Iroh cheering "Yay, Grandkids." When in canon, should it be Ozai (Yaying for political union and a chance to turn the grandkids into Azula clones) or Ursa doing that? Also, when did that started?

Note: I get the Zutarain logic of: Aang the Avatar it's his destiny to fight Ozai and most likely get killed, Aang's too young for Katara, Mai's too blah, etc., but I don't get the cheering Iroh. (When I team up with a beta-reader, get more experience, and both of us will start making stories. I will write Zutara, Kataang, or something like that. But for now I'm just hanging out and worrying about school.)

8/28/2008 #12
RueBroadway

A girl who was growing up in a war, lost important things, at times seemed almost smothered by her circumstances found a boy who was lost, confused, and who needed someone to believe in him. He helped give the girl her wings so to speak, opportunities. And they both came away whole, beautiful, strong people. Despite the battles, the struggle, Aang and Katara found each other (not her finding him in the iceburg, but her finding someone she connected with completely). That is why their bond is so strong.

That was a great literation of Katang. Bravo :o)

8/28/2008 #13
thebloodfiend

Ruebroadway like your avatar.

I was a hard core(not literally) kataanger until the middle of season three. Something just clicked and I went over. The zutara thing just happened and i don't know why. Maybe it's because Kataang lost its appeal. Maybe its because they waited so f*** long to mention it again. still i guess i like the oppposites attract b***.

9/8/2008 #14
RueBroadway

Thanks much. Boondocks is my replacement for Avatar. Looking forward to season 3 :o)

9/8/2008 #15
thebloodfiend

My favorite episode so far was the evil kung-fu wolf b***.

9/9/2008 #16
RueBroadway

Mine is a toss up between Home Alone and The Story of Gangstalicious.

9/9/2008 #17
Venath

Ok, I'm not bashing you or anything, but here are a couple of things I'm wondering about what Zutarians think: 1. When did Zutara start? Was it when Zuko said, "I'll save you from the pirates"? When did everyone think Zutara? 2. If Zuko and Katara DID end up together, what about Aang? You can't deny that he likes her, and I bet that even you Zutarians don't want to see him upset. How would he get through it? Would he date Toph or Meng? Would he let go of his love for her? What would happen?

I don't think you have to worry about people thinking you're bashing. You don't come off that way to me, anyway. But to throw in my opinion:

1) I think it basically started as soon as they were introduced. It may not have been as large a fandom until later on, but I think the "Bad boy, good girl" thing kicked in about as soon as they were seen on screen. I can't say for certain, since I came in around early/mid season two, but that's one of the ways this kind of thing usually begins.

2) I doubt he'd let go of his love, but I doubt he'd date someone else. At least, not for a while. We've got to remember that physically and emotionally, Aang is still pretty young, even with all of his experiences. He might date someone else later in his life, but I think he'd be willing to stand aside and let it happen if he honestly believed they'd be happy. Especially if this is during/post season three, when he's friends with Zuko as well. What I'm certain he wouldn't do is become the crazy, self-absorbed nutjob that h*** shippers sometimes turn him into when Katara is paired with someone else. But then, I think there are at least a few people who do that to just about any "odd one out" pairing (For example, if a story is about Cloud/Aerith or Cloud/Tifa from FFVII, Tifa or Aerith will become a crazy psycho *** when the other is paired with Cloud).

9/9/2008 #18
thebloodfiend

home alone was good to

I think Zutara started when he cut off his pony tail maybe?

9/10/2008 #19
I wish I was never born

Looking for user "Oh Hello".

If anyone has information on him, please PM me.

9/10/2008 #20
pyrocullengirl

I HATE ZUTARA!!!!! SO STOP, PLEASE, BY EVEN ADKNOLEDGING IT AS A POSIBILITY, ARG.

-emoness-

Oh now you've done it i just emosighed i hate when i do that.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

9/28/2008 #21
trueroyalblue

I HATE ZUTARA!!!!! SO STOP, PLEASE, BY EVEN ADKNOLEDGING IT AS A POSIBILITY, ARG.

Now THAT was just downright disrespectful AND unnecessary...............

Coming to think of it, I think Zutara officially became popular when more of Zuko's past was revealed. You know? The whole "good girl heals bad boy's emotional, hurtful past and in the process they fall for each other" sorta thing. And that's what I think makes it a beautiful relationship. :)

9/28/2008 #22
Amira Elizabeth

Ah yes, the old turning the girl into a healer sort of thing. And people say Katara is Aang's mother. Bleh. That scenerio is motherly and reduces girls to this ridiculous position of having to be the one to do all the work in the relationship. Honestly, those types of relationships are difficult to maintain and emotionally draining and you have to be willing to deal with someone who is primarily a taker. Many women tire of that and leave relationships like those.

I mean seriously, women want to be girlfriends and wives. Not therapists.

9/28/2008 #23
trueroyalblue

Katara needs someone to connect with about the loss of her mother; she had a connection with Zuko in the catacombs with that. He can help her with the loss of her mother while she can help him heal.

AND at night, that's really when the guy makes the girl feel like a woman. ;) LOL :D

9/28/2008 #24
Amira Elizabeth

Zuko seems like he'd be very reserved in that department and awkward. Aang (and I'm going to age him up here) seems like he'd be all fun, curious, and adventurous. Playful natures certainly are a good thing.

And with all that healing stuff, I'm sorry, but doesn't Aang need someone too who understands loss. I'm getting a little tired of that being resevered just for Zuko. Zuko's mom isn't even dead (the vibe I was getting from the finale). And Zuko helped her all right. He helped her deal with it by fueling her rage, sense of revenge, and anger. And then he made fun of Aang for it. And in the end, it was Aang who was right. Zuko even admitted it.

9/28/2008 #25
RueBroadway

...plus Zuko doesn't really need to be healed. He needed help with acceptance. He needed to accept that his father sent him on a fool's errand; that the fire nation was in the wrong; and that he, himself, was right in defending the fire nation soldiers in the War room; and that he needed to be the one to help change the tide of the Fire Nation. Once he truly accepted these things, he was happy (well, as happy as Zuko can be). And the extra support from Mai was just the cherry on top.

Aang, also, doesn't need to be healed. He just needs his energy to be guided. And no matter who she's with, Katara will mother them. That's her character. I think it just needs to be recognized that Aang is more willing to deal with her slight overbearing nature than Zuko. Aang sees it as loving care, Zuko will see it as limiting (at least that's what I conjure up).

9/28/2008 #26
trueroyalblue

I was just saying why I liked Zutara! I honestly didn't want people to shoot down the reasons as to why I liked it, God.

9/28/2008 #27
Amira Elizabeth

When you post things in a public forum people are going to respond. Do you think I like seeing the people shoot down the things I love about my ship or favorite characters? I often talk about what I like about Kataang and it doesn't stop people. Why? Public forum.

Kataang is innocent and pure. There is none of the cheap romance novel crud. Part of what makes it apealing is the fact that it is simple and uncomplicated. It just proves how compatible Katara and Aang are. Being together for them is just natural. And you don't know how many people hate on my ship because it is that.

9/28/2008 . Edited 9/28/2008 #28
trueroyalblue

Zutara doesn't have to be "cheap romance novel crud". Admittedly I can see why it would be that way if they suddenly switched to Zutara in the middle of Season Three. But it can be a beautiful relationship between a boy and a girl if it's well-written and thought-out.

9/29/2008 #29
thebloodfiend

actually Kataang would be the cheap fan fic . best friends fall in love crap ( although I love reading stories with that plot)

at least Zutara could make it to a novel

Zutara doesn't have to be "cheap romance novel crud". Admittedly I can see why it would be that way if they suddenly switched to Zutara in the middle of Season Three. But it can be a beautiful relationship between a boy and a girl if it's well-written and thought-out.

This I agree with.

There are so many old people on this forum. I can't believe this show was made for ten year old boys. The youngest person here is 13 and a girl.

Anything can be a cheap romance novel if written badly. Kataang isn't a god that is always good and neither is Maiko.

Kataang can be crappy (like most of it is) along with every other ship being crappy if written badly (Zutara included.)

I don't hate Kataang and to prove that I wrote a semi kataangish story on fiction press. Its not here because it has nothing to do with avatar it can just relate to the type of realtionship aang and katara have.

9/30/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member