Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »
Sly Mongoose

My understanding was that the trailer was not about opposites, so much as exploring (in jest) what would happen f some of the relationships some fanfactions asked for actually occured. No matter who the characters were paired with, Aang and Katara will always gravitate back together.

After all you can not destroy true love, only delay if for a little while.

10/1/2008 #61
thebloodfiend

true love thats hilarious

but whatever

you have your opinions

i have mine

truce

don't wanna start a shipping war again

whadaya think of this ship

jeang

that has never been done before

jet-aang

lmao haahahahaha

10/1/2008 #62
Rebecca Cunningham

Oh, yes, we don't want another shipping war. Though I'm a bit worry about the live action Avatar movie, suppose the shipping war restarts itself again. Zutara v. Kataang. Ugh, now that will be annoying.

10/10/2008 #63
thebloodfiend

I don't really wanna look forward to the movie cause I know its gonna be crap

M night's fantsasy suxs

10/10/2008 #64
GroggyRae

Late post is late (lo siento): I liked Zutara just because of my personal preferences. And I saw the Cave of Two Lovers and it just didn't scream Kataang to me (and this was all ironically after I came into the series with season 3). I originally thought the series was about growing up and learning to accept diversity and work towards peace etc. Really, I thought it would have been best if there wasn't any concrete romance in the end. They still have plenty of work to do.

But I did think it was interesting a comment someone made about Mai growing as a character. I was upset because she didn't have much growth and I felt blindsided by the Maiko when I finally finished season 2. If there was more attraction shown on Zuko's part, yeah, I coulda rode wit it. But it was lacking, and I was upset that it was lacking and seemed so shallow with the ' crap, he's talking/ thinking, I better kiss him.' I saw that and just thought ' yes, kiddies, this is how a healthy relationship DOES NOT GO!'

My issues with Kataang are probably exclusive to me; when I first saw the two, they reminded me of myself and an adopted brother. So the finale and season 3 was very much 'ew!' for me on that end. Besides that, Aang's temper tantrum thing in Ember Island Players... yeah. Do not want. Not respecting personal boundaries is not cool, it means you're viewed as an object and not necessarily an individual. It means that you are expected to give in return. If the feelings are reciprocated, sure. If someone says they are unsure, and you still expect them to give you this- no. Unacceptable. And being on the recieving end of that kind of stuff is not fun.

11/2/2008 #65
RueBroadway

I went to a gathering over the weekend with a friend, and we watched the Avatar from Appa's Lost Days to The Headband. When they saw Zuko and Mai making out on the cliff they were like W**(!!!), so I'll have to put my bias aside and agree with you on the Maiko from left field. But they didn't quite pick up on any Zutara vibe in Crossroads of Destiny. And for me, watching these eps all over again, I'd forgotten how much emotion and blushing (and touching) that flowed between Aang and Katara. And the look and Aang threw Zuko in the cave was absolutely devious.

I really don't get this thing about "crap, he's talking/ thinking, I better kiss him". Mai did it once on the ship. She stopped his negative train of thought, gave him a little sugar and told him not to worry. IDK, I thought that was the most realistic relationship on there.

Really, I can't be too mad about Aang's temper tantrum. He was a dumdum for kissing Katara, and she reminded him of that, but both have forgiving natures (and I bet Aang won't do that again). He's 12, he's bound to have mistakes.

11/3/2008 #66
GroggyRae

With the discussions I've been reading these past months, I'm really probably a multi-shipper by now. You bring out some good points. My thing with (and remember that I like Maian individual character) her and Zuko was that it seemed they rarely ever talked about his problems. It had to be obvious that the boy had baggage. I would've liked for Mai to show some independence earlier and told Zuko to get himself together and then come back. But it was the average teenage relationship so it was realistic in that sense. Because even in RL teenage relationships make me gag. ( 4 clarity's sake, I ship BFFZutara as teens and romanticZutara adults)

Yeah, I saw Kataang lightyears away, and yeah. I would've liked to see the realization on Katara's part that Aang was more than a brother (ie talking/thinking). Mai and Zuko had the kissing department covered. I seriously thought the end was when Katara and aang were just standing outside watching the sunset- and I was happy. Then two minutes later indigestion set in.

11/3/2008 #67
militaryhistory

Da, with you on the multi-shipping, though I wouldn't ever write a tale based around on. (Romance novels make me shudder at the thought). I'm writing a tale based on the show, though resemblances are not obvious (especially since based on whole other worldview). If you like, go to avatar fanfics and look up Andrew MacKenzie. (Yes, I know. Shameless plug.)

11/3/2008 #68
thebloodfiend

my fav yaoi ship is taang....or is it a yuri?

11/5/2008 #69
militaryhistory

Taang? What in the world is that? And what on earth would a "yuri" be?

11/5/2008 #70
thebloodfiend

guess

and its a joke

11/6/2008 #71
militaryhistory

And this thread has died as well.

11/24/2008 #72
thebloodfiend

dead dead

11/25/2008 #73
nekologic

I'm guessing your a kataang person. :u but even so, thanks for not bashing. people who bash zutarians p*** me off. but yeah this is my opinion.

It started for me when he grabbed her hand and said 'ill save you from the pirates'. i don't know why, but as soon as he said that, i paused the dvd and ran to my computer and started searching up zuko x katara. thats when i stumbled upon zutara and fell in love with it. [i didnt recognize most of the scenes in amvs on youtube because i wasn't that far along in the series.] If zutara happened, i would think aang and toph would get together. althought i kinda got the vibe that toph had a crush on zuko. [not as obvious as her crush on sokka] and i agree with someone who posted before me, it would be a good twist if katara didn't return her feelings, but most likely she did. the series and plot would probably fall apart though, seeing as there wasn't really enough hints at zutara to throw this kinda thing in.

11/7/2010 #74
Mrs Pettyfer

I started watching Avatar last year and had no idea there was these crazy shipping wars. I watched it on TV and fell in love with it. My first thoughts on shipping was that Aang had a cute little crush on the first girl he saw out of the ice. It was cute. But when did I start shipping Zutara? I'm not sure. There were little things...things that made me consider it. Like the 'I'll save you from the pirates' scene. It was the typical 'I hate you' scene between a boy and girl that can turn into like. I mean come on, am I the only girl that had a boy pull my hair because he liked me? Is it stupid? Yes. But that scene did bring me back to those days. Anyway, another thing was when Aunt Wu mentioned to Katara she would marry a powerful bender. My mind went straight to Zuko before I could think twice. Then I laughed and thought, no way! He's the bad guy. Then you had Jun, teasing Zuko about finding 'his girlfriend.' Little things like that, which are meaningless but linger in your mind and make you think about that ship. But I suppose the time turning moment was the Crossroads of Destiny in the cave. After that I actually looked up online to see if Zuko and Katara ended up together because I was curious.

I feel like Zutara would have had a better chance had Zuko changed sides in the finale of season 2. And I'm usually not one to disagree with canon. This is like a first time ever, haha. Not shooting down Kataang by any means, it's just not my cup of tea. *shrugs*

11/14/2010 #75
Amira Elizabeth

Actually, the "I'll save you from the pirates" scene was beyond creepy. Zuko saw her as a silly, weak, easy-to-manipulate little girl. It's not sexy. It's not romantic. It wasn't I hate you/I like you. It was flat-out creepy. And I'm sorry, but tying a young girl up and making her the captive of a bunch of adult males is just...bleh. Having Zuko leer at her while trying to bribe information about Aang with her mom's necklace is just...bleh.

And to think it is the basis for a romance...ugh.

And people say Kataang is messed up.

11/17/2010 #76
Mrs Pettyfer

Well I tried to post and it wouldn't let me! Hope it doesn't show up twice. :/

I actually didn't find that scene creepy. I didn't by any means think it was sexy or romantic, either. It just reminded me of youth with a boy picking on a girl kind of thing. I don't find it any more creepy than the Beast locking up Belle, a young woman, in a dungeon so he can keep her as a prisoner as an excuse to become a Prince again. And that story turned out pretty well I think, lol.

11/17/2010 #77
Severus Lawliet

Ok, I'm not bashing you or anything, but here are a couple of things I'm wondering about what Zutarians think: 1. When did Zutara start? Was it when Zuko said, "I'll save you from the pirates"? When did everyone think Zutara?

No, for me Zutara stared in the crystal catacombs. When Zuko said "I'll save you from the pirates" it wasn't creepy or sexy to me. It was just weird. yeah, that's it. He was being a bit of a weirdo. But that's okay. He got better in my eyes.

2. If Zuko and Katara DID end up together, what about Aang? You can't deny that he likes her, and I bet that even you Zutarians don't want to see him upset. How would he get through it? Would he date Toph or Meng? Would he let go of his love for her? What would happen?

No, I'd hate to see Aang upset. He's one of my favorite characters (seasons 1 and 1/2 of season 2 only though). If Zuko and Katara started dating he'd be upset sure, but does that mean she can't date others outside of Aang? No. It means the poor boy will have to learn to let go, like many of us have. I'd love to think he'd find comfort with Mai or Ty Lee or someone. In fact there's a lovely Mai/Aang fic that I love. It's called Insanity. It's one of my favorites :D

Mrs. Pettyfer -- I did kind of think that the Beast and Belle was creepy...that really creeped me out for some reason XD, Then again, a lot of Disney movies creep me out.

11/18/2010 #78
Severus Lawliet

Actually, the "I'll save you from the pirates" scene was beyond creepy. Zuko saw her as a silly, weak, easy-to-manipulate little girl. It's not sexy. It's not romantic. It wasn't I hate you/I like you. It was flat-out creepy. And I'm sorry, but tying a young girl up and making her the captive of a bunch of adult males is just...bleh. Having Zuko leer at her while trying to bribe information about Aang with her mom's necklace is just...bleh. And to think it is the basis for a romance...ugh. And people say Kataang is messed up.

People say Kataang is messed up? Why and how?

11/18/2010 #79
TigerShadow

They say it's messed up because they (like me) find the idea of a pubescent teenage girl and a prepubescent boy swapping spit to be creepy.

I didn't really start shipping Zutara because of "I'll save you from the pirates." I didn't think that scene was creepy and sexy or whatever it is, I just thought it was...well, a scene. It wasn't a big deal to me. I just basically started shipping it because it was the first ship I ran into.

11/25/2010 #80
Amira Elizabeth
I get that. Honestly I don't see an issue with them kissing because I don't se em as typical kids. But where you have squick-issues with Kataang, Zutara to me is just as creepy. Zuko hired a hit man, he hurt Katara and her friends, he helped Azula in CoD and Aang nearly died, etc. And to see him swap spit as you put it with a girl who only accepted him late in season 3 makes me cringe. Forgiveness is great. Redemption is great. But they shouldn't always lead to romance. Zuko in the series routinely tossed aside the caring and love people had for him. Mai, like him mother, sacrificed her freedom out of love for him. Regardless of what you think of Mai, that is powerful thing. For him to just toss that aside, start a romance with Katara (who is loved by another with whom she shares an amazingly close relationship with), and hurt his new friend and a girl who loves him, IMO, makes him creepy and makes Zutara shallow and creepy. While I am not too much of a Zuko fan, I do like him. I do think he worked hard. But I don't think that just because at the last minute he finally decided to pull his head out of his rear and say I'm sorry to everyone he's truly wronged that he should not have consequences for his behavior in the series. Look at the finale -he got new friends, the world at peace, a girlfriend, to be fire lord, his uncles forgiveness, etc. And he got a new friend and IMO new sister in Katara. His biological sister was taken down by the sister he should have always had. Aang deserves happiness too. And love. Katara deserves to be loved completely. And zuko deserves to be loved by someone who would always love him first. Mai does that. And as long as Katara is close to Aang Zuko would never reign supreme. Sorry for the wall of text. I'm on my smart phone.
11/25/2010 #81
TigerShadow

I'm not really one of those Harmonian-esque Zutara shippers who rabidly ships Zutara as canon. If it were written into the show, it just wouldn't have worked, and I think there are more Zutarians out there than one would think who believe the same way.

I have a problem with the way Aang handles his "love" for Katara. He's an alright character and all, but he's still twelve, and thus doesn't really know how to handle relationships (this doesn't come from my interpretations of the show, this comes from the general facts of life I've picked up). He interpreted, for example, "I'm confused" to mean "sneak a kiss," and it doesn't seem like he showed any remorse for the act beyond the fact that it could screw up his chances with Katara. He doesn't even try to apologize. That just bothered me. Other than that, as I said, he's a pretty good kid--it was just that moment that, now I look back on it, makes me dislike Aang as a love interest. He dwells on the physical aspects, which is a dangerous way to handle a relationship.

As a matter of fact, I'm bothered with Nickelodeon and Disney Channel's obsession with promoting dating and kissing as a good idea for twelve-year-olds to be involved in. I know I've expressed my opinion on this before, but I decided I may as well elaborate.

11/25/2010 #82
Mrs Pettyfer

^I agree TS. I love Aang but not as a love interest. Just because he's the male lead doesn't mean he has to be a love interest. He may be mature in some ways, but he's still 12 and it shows. Like his idea that after the kiss he planted on Katara before the eclipse meant they were going to be together. That logic would only make sense in a young mind. And really, to have this 12 year old so dead set that he's just so in love makes me cringe. Please Aang, don't fall for the first girl you lay eyes on. Literally. It's OKAY to date around a bit....you're a kid. :P

And to be honest, the part that really annoyed me most about Kataang was the fact that Aang was risking the entire world because he refused to let Katara go. First of all, sometimes in love it does require you to let someone go. In fact, I think him letting her go would have shown a stronger love. Secondly, Aang, do you really think you could beat Ozai without the Avatar State? What do you think would happen if you lost? Guess what, you'd definitely lose Katara because you'd probably be dead! And the world would go down in fire. But alas creators, let's overlook all of that and just knock Aang into a rock where he hits his scar. Apparently that's the Avatar State button and poof! Everything works out. *cringes* That realllllly bothered me. On top of other things that was the cherry on the ice cream for me.

Yes TS, I don't know why they're promoting kissing between children either. 12 really is so young..

11/26/2010 #83
waterhands20

I can't agree enough with that notion. They made the series end in such a cheesy way that it was just predictable (I don't know about anyone else, but for me it was). I'm currently working on a fanfiction story right now that delves into real romantic issues between the two, having started with an older Aang breaking up with an older Katara in order to explore another love interest. Yes it's not canon, but I just felt that the show didn't portray the way kids really think in the show, especially 12 year old boys; They're constantly having crushes, and are always trying to explore their personal feelings with testing the field per se. Totally agree with you there

11/26/2010 #84
waterhands20

I can't agree enough with that notion. They made the series end in such a cheesy way that it was just predictable (I don't know about anyone else, but for me it was). I'm currently working on a fanfiction story right now that delves into real romantic issues between the two, having started with an older Aang breaking up with an older Katara in order to explore another love interest. Yes it's not canon, but I just felt that the show didn't portray the way kids really think in the show, especially 12 year old boys; They're constantly having crushes, and are always trying to explore their personal feelings with testing the field per se. Totally agree with you there

11/26/2010 #85
Amira Elizabeth
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I can't judge Avatar by our standards because I don't know 14 year old girls who lead grown men in battle, 12 year old who fight 40 year old men in battles for the world, and groups of teens who roam the world unchaperoned and with the blessing of their elders. Most kids that age i know are technology obsessed, self-absorbed shallow little twerps who would shun a classmate for not having designer clothes. No one on avatar fits that bill. And I have no issue with Aang finding the love of his life young. He found someone he connects with completely. Zuko had one date with Jin before going back to the girl he first liked. So what's the big deal. These are kids who have done extraordinary things, formed extraordinary bonds, and Aang is more spiritually in touch with his inner feelings. And letting someone go is like soldiers going into war, they have families, but they have a duty. It doesn't mean they have to let that person go entirely. And that is where Aang got confused and upset. He had lost so many loved ones before, it would be unrealistic for it not to bother him. I think it was touching he worried over being able to love. And you obviously see no issue with him forming an attachment to Toph since you support taang. You obviously have no issue with him being in love with Toph at 12. I find that incredibly hypocritical. It's okay, but only if he isn't with the girl he actually likes that way because he gets in the way of Zutara. All of them are fairly naive romantically, except sokka. And truthfully it bothers me more that folks want to pair up Katara up with a guy who hired a hit man, who was selfish enough to mock and betray his uncle, who even mocked Aang's idea of forgiveness and his dead culture when only one episode before he was begging for aang's forgiveness all because he finally pulled his head out of his arse than pair her up with a guy who actually loves her because he's a mere two years younger. Katara and Aang aren't gonna be running off having babies right away. I see them holding hands, stealing kisses, and just enjoying the war being over and each other and finally getting to be young adults.
11/26/2010 . Edited 11/26/2010 #86
TigerShadow

You obviously have no issue with him being in love with Toph at 12. I find that incredibly hypocritical. It's okay, but only if he isn't with the girl he actually likes that way because he gets in the way of Zutara.

If this was directed at me, then I'd like to make the point that--whether I said this earlier or in my profile, I can't remember--that I don't support the Taang at twelve. I support the older!Taang, the one that has maturity and relationship development. I don't support it when they're twelve, because I concede to your point, that is hypocritical, but I do support it when they've actually grown up enough to understand relationships.

11/26/2010 #87
Amira Elizabeth
Actually, no my friend. It was not directed at you. I know how you feel, although I am in complete disagreement. It was directed at those people who support taang at 12 but say Aang is too young for love when it applies to Katara. He needs to let go when it comes to Katara, but see no issue with him being attached to Toph. It's pure hypocrisy. Aang in the series, for me at least, was the personification of love, friendship, hope, and forgiveness. He brought people together. He gave others hope despite his own burdens and terrible loss. For him to not end the series happy and loved and yes even in love would have been weird to me. For katara not to have ended her journey with the realization that the hope and love she needed was right there by her side all along would have been weird. And normally I would be in agreement over the age thing, but not this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of super mature Kataang at this age. What I am a fan of is two people who found each other, stayed bonded together despite the odds and circumstances, and continue to grow and mature together and enjoy a world at peace and to be young people in love. Call me a sap. But I see that for them. The fanon ships for these two (taang and zutara) just seem like clothes that don't fit. And forgive me. I am on a smart phone. It is not easy to do HTML...lol.
11/26/2010 . Edited 11/26/2010 #88
Mrs Pettyfer

I do agree with Aang is in touch with his feelings, but I agree with TS in that I don't think he knows how to handle those feelings. Which again, comes with age. One thing I'd like to compare is my all-time favorite series, Harry Potter. Very similar to Avatar in a way. A reluctant young hero destined to save the world. Harry is 11 when he enters the series and it ends when he's 17. Granted, he has 6 years to grow and mature before he faces Voldemort (who is like Ozai). But despite the growing up that Harry must do in order to accomplish his goal, the author doesn't shove romance in there until he has at the proper age for it. Harry is 14 when romance begins to dwindle, and 16 when it's more serious. That to me, is a more appropriate age. J.K. Rowling could have thrown romance in there when Harry was 12, Aang's age, but didn't. Because to a most 12 year olds, 'true love' isn't on their mind..especially if they have to save the world.

I realize this isn't a topic about HP, I just wanted to use a really well written series as an example that featured a young hero. No, the creators of Avatar didn't have the same amount of time Rowling had with HP...but that doesn't mean they should shove romance in there anyway just so it's there.

I was unclear in my previous post about Taang I see. I'm with TS and support Taang when they are older as well..after they have years to bond and mature. Now I didn't mind Kataang in the beginning, when it was a simple little crush on Aang's part. That to me, made sense as a 12 year old might see in a pretty, older girl. But the creators didn't do that, they tried to form it into this all mightly love that apparently is so great that the world could be put at risk over it. That was what I didn't agree with. I feel like with Aang and Toph, both being 12, their level of maturity is different than that of a 14 year old girl. Is two years a big difference? Yes and no. It is when you think of a new born baby and a two year old. It isn't when you think of a 22 year old and 20 year old. I do however, feel like a 12 year old boy and 14 year old girl is a considerable difference and Aang has shown on many occasions his maturity in some respects, is still 12. Especially in regards to a relationship. If Toph was the love interest, and the Guru said to let go of her, I would have said the same thing. No matter who Aang was with, he should have let them go to save the world. I don't think I ever mentioned that...but that's where I stand on that.

And I have said this before, but I don't support Taang because it gets in the way of Zutara. I support them separately for different reasons, based on their personalities and traits. I don't think Zutara would have worked in the series with the way it was written, but I do think with their personalities it could have been written that way. Do I think the writers should have made them in love? No. They're kids. I don't think any of the couples should be written that way. I do however, support Zutara in the sense of their potential. And for the record, I supported the potential of Taang before Zutara believe it or not. =) Wow that was long..sorry! lol

11/27/2010 #89
TigerShadow

You read HP too? O.O

AWESOME. ;)

Call me a sap.

You are a sap, you evul persun. Joo has moar sap zan maple trees! :(

I'm in a mood for humor. My jokes are pathetic. Sue me.

11/27/2010 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TimeWitch'93
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member