Kataang or Zutara?
This argument has come up a lot, what are your opinions about Kataang and Zutara? Which pairing is more likely? Do you think they're age differences really matter? Everyone's invited! Keep it respectful, though.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
BRMCluv

Is there anyone out there who is nuetral on the whole Zutara/Kataang debate? If so, why?

I'm neutral because I don't like ignorant readers. It's cool to have a ship and stick by it in what you write, but I don't like it when people refuse to read anything but a certain ship. I mean, if you're a hard-core Zutarian I guess I would understand avoiding Kataang and Maiko, but liking Zutara is no reason to avoid non-ship stories or something that doesn't feature either Zuko and Katara.

I used to write for Life With Derek, and anyone else who's seen that show knows about the Dasey ship. Basically it's the pairing of the two main characters, Casey and Derek. I tried writing a story that wasn't a romance and didn't really feature Derek prominently. A reviewer then told me, "You have a good idea, but if it isn't Dasey, I'm too lazy to read it." I also noticed that I had very little hits on that story in comparison to my Dasey stories. That struck me as rediculous, and I stopped writing for that fandom because I wasn't going to write Dasey stories just to keep people happy.

I'm not saying I don't care about Avatar enough to stand by one ship, but by my avoiding to get in on the Zutara/Kataang debate, I'm hoping to get the chance to read a lot of great fanfiction by talented authors rather than limit myself because of my ship.

8/25/2008 #1
RueBroadway

It's cool to have a ship and stick by it in what you write, but I don't like it when people refuse to read anything buta certain ship. I mean, if you're a hard-core Zutarian I guess I would understand avoiding Kataang and Maiko, but liking Zutara is no reason to avoid non-ship stories or something that doesn't feature either Zuko and Katara.

I'm not saying I don't care about Avatar enough to stand by one ship, but by my avoiding to get in on the Zutara/Kataang debate, I'm hoping to get the chance to read a lot of great fanfiction by talented authors rather than limit myself because of my ship.

I kind of agree with you on the point that limiting oneself to romance only stories blocks out a lot of really good fics. On the other hand, if that person knows he/she only likes one type of fic, then that's their choice (and possible loss).

Now for me, I will read anything except Zutara fics. I know there are some really good writers out there that have really good fics with Zutara, but what's the point of reading if I know I'll get mad at the shipping? Same thing applies to Zutarians. If they don't like Mai, why would they knowingly read a Mai sympathetic fic? Fics with no shipping are a breathe of fresh air to some and boring to others. You should write what makes you happy and know that eventually someone will notice and give you props :o)

8/26/2008 #2
doomed89

I hate Kataang but I like Maiko and Zutara so yea lol, I just think Kataang was really badly done in canon i mean Katara acts so much like a mother towards Aang so much in series I just can't see it getting romantic

8/26/2008 #3
ILikeIt

I'm not neutral per-say (I still ship Zutara) but I'm done with most of the pairing war here. I'm not letting anyone telling me Zutara's over just because the Avatar series ended with Kataang.

8/27/2008 #4
RueBroadway

I'm not letting anyone telling me Zutara's over just because the Avatar series ended with Kataang.

Canon ends, fanon lasts forever? Yeah, I can still dream thoughts of SoZu XD

8/27/2008 #5
Son Kenshin

You didn't watch the Finale did you, doomed89? Or The Headband? Or Day of Black Sun?

8/27/2008 #6
doomed89

watched all of them, Day of black sun she wasn't kissing back.. the finale seemed out of character and im jusifying it as she thought he deserved it and headband she seemed more jelous of the girl because he wasn't giving her all his attention like he always does (and how kids give all their attention to their moms) then she was just nervous because everyone was watching

8/27/2008 #7
Son Kenshin

Day of Black Sun-SHE DID KISS BACK. She closed her eyes and leaned into it.

Cave of Two Lovers-She proposed they kissed first. You apparently missed that episode.

The Headband-She was completely and utterly jealous of On Ji when she started to flirt with Aang. You are interpreting the scenes wrong.

The Finale: She was finally not confused about the feelings she had for Aang anymore, since the War was over. She loves Aang, and he loves Katara.

You're either refusing to see the facts that the feelings are mutual, or you just watched AMV's of the episodes and made your own conclusions.

8/27/2008 #8
doomed89

Day of Black Sun- she closed her eyes she didn't lean into it and she just stoped leaning back...

Cave of Two Lovers- a love story about the cave, Aang only guy around, desperate, even joked about how ridiculas it was and when they did kiss (if they even did didn't really seem like it from the way they were standing when the lights went on) she like didn't even care and just ran out

The Headband- Mothers get jelous over the attention their kids give their girlfriends if they have really mothered their kids like Katara mothers Aang

The Finale- How was she confused before? the only thing that changed was Zuko was back with Mai lol

8/27/2008 #9
Son Kenshin

Day of Black Sun: She DID lean into it. She did kiss back. Aang pulled away, and flew off and she looked *worried*.

Cave of Two Lovers-She wanted to kiss him, and Aang got *nervous* and nearly ruin it. Then as the lights went out, they kissed and the way out was found. Katara was *blushing* when she glanced at Aang at the end of the episode.

The Headband-"They look good together." "She's not so great." Katara said bitterly, and blushed and smiled when she and Aang started dancing. Again, you ignore the scene.

The Finale-She said she was confused in Ember Island Players, worried about the war and the fact that neither of them had a true chance of coming back. And then, in the Finale, that confusion was gone, she was free to express her feelings.

There is also the episode where she realizes that Aang is the man she'll marry in The Fortuneteller. You're clearly ignoring facts since that was all the way back in Season 1.

8/27/2008 #10
BRMCluv

Haha, I love how a post about being nuetral turned into a shipping war.

But, hey, I'm not complaining. Son Kenshin is pwning.

I mean, it's not like I'm COMPLETELY neutral, I have my opinions. I would never write Zutara even though I sometimes read it, but I don't think I'd have a problem writing Kataang, I think I could pull it off better.

Another, more shameful reason, that I don't really participate in the shipping debates is that Katara doesn't really interest me. Sometimes she even annoys. I kind of like to write about minor characters anyway, and since Katara's life has already been established I'd rather write about a character we don't really see as much.

Thoughts?

8/27/2008 #11
Son Kenshin

I'm just defending Kataang. Doomed starting to pick on it, with VERY bad facts and shown he apparently didn't watch the episodes, either just the trailers or AMV's.

8/27/2008 #12
doomed89

Day of Black Sun- He kissed her she leaned back then stopped leaning back then he flew away go watch it

Cave of Two Lovers- The love story made her want to kiss not Aang, Aang was just the only guy there, and just cuz she blushed when he said we let love show us the way doesn't mean they kissed blush could have been because they almost kissed too

The Headband- Toph said "They look good together" then Katara said "If that's what you like" watch the episode again dude you were way off

The Finale- Sure she wasn't confused because Zuko was sitting next to her?

The fourtune teller said that she would marry a powerful bender, that could be azula for all we know lol, the fortune teller was the only reason she even considered Aang and probably contributed to her wanting to kiss Aang in the cave, just to see, since she stopped presuing obviously she didn't feel much between them

and for the record this is not a shipping war, I am Anti Kattaang thats it I'm okay with Maiko and Katara being alone or with jet who survived somehow (even though he didn't in cannon)

8/27/2008 #13
Son Kenshin

Day of Black Sun-Wrong, she leaned *forward*. Closing her eyes and blushing slightly afterwards.

Cave of Two Lovers-Man, you really have bad interpretations. They kissed, Katara initiated it, etc. It wasn't because 'Aang was the only guy there'. Does that mean you think she'd give Sokka a kiss on the lips if he was there with her?

The Headband-I have watched the episode. You're the one who misinterpreted everything.

The Finale-Ah, you missed the fact that she and Zuko, after the Play made it seem they were a couple, pull away in disgust right? She told Aang was confused, opening up with 'We're in a war' and that it 'wasn't the right time' during the intermission. She was no longer confused in the Finale and could finally reciprocate.

The Fortuneteller- "Man, I forget just how powerful a bender that kid really is." "Wait, what did you say?" "What? I just said he's a powerful bender." Katara has an epithany. "I guess...he is."

You're Anti-Kataang is just bashing and not even acknowledging canon facts.

8/27/2008 #14
doomed89

Dude rewatch the episodes your wrong on every count

8/27/2008 #15
RueBroadway

I am Anti Kattaang thats it I'm okay with Maiko and Katara being alone or with jet who survived somehow (even though he didn't in cannon)

I miss Jet :o(

The fourtune teller said that she would marry a powerful bender, that could be azula for all we know lol, the fortune teller was the only reason she even considered Aang and probably contributed to her wanting to kiss Aang in the cave, just to see, since she stopped pursuing obviously she didn't feel much between them

There is this part at the end of The Fortune Teller in which Katara realizes that Aang is a powerful bender (off of something Sokka said). I forgot about the scene until recently, but it's kinda powerful. It cemented for me (even after seeing the finale) of the possibility of Katang really working. Idk, I personally think Aang could do better (kinda had a soft spot for Meng), but he loves her and I can respect that. That scene made me respect it more...

8/27/2008 #16
Son Kenshin

I have rewatched the episodes. You need to. You haven't watched them at all apparently. I've been providing quotes, looking at the episodes themselves again and again...

You've been wrong. You've been ignoring facts. You've just been *trolling* to get a rise out of Kataangers.

8/27/2008 #17
doomed89

dude your quotes are wrong, you have them saying the wrong things, you really need to rewatch them

8/27/2008 #18
Son Kenshin

Your quotes on the Headband were wrong as well. Sokka said "They look good together" and Katara said bitterly "If that's what you like".

You're the only one who needs to watch the episodes again, this time without the blocking glasses. You have made the wrong interpretations, ignored evidence, and other things.

8/27/2008 #19
doomed89

It was Toph not Sokka, rewatch it, and you just changed what you had Katara saying 3 posts ago to what i had her saying

8/27/2008 #20
Son Kenshin

Wrong. I got the data from *the script* and it was SOKKA saying it. I admitted that mistake. Katara said that 'bitterly'. Watch the episode AGAIN and when Aang asked her to dance, she's clearly nervous.

8/27/2008 #21
Son Kenshin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dndvk21dlYc&NR=1

Proof of Kataang, done in a satirical Zutara video.

8/27/2008 #22
doomed89

So she has stage fright, and it was Toph I just rewatched a bunch of episodes on the weekend, the into you got was wrong and didn't i just say I don't just like Zutara, I just don't like Katara with jet cuz she's like his mother

8/27/2008 . Edited 8/27/2008 #23
Son Kenshin

I just provided the video evidence.

8/27/2008 #24
doomed89

LOL I just starting watching it and when Katara asked Sokka what she said she sounded more what the hell i end up with that kid, then oh yay i get Aang lol, not even close to Kataang evidence lol

8/27/2008 #25
Son Kenshin

God...alright, this proves you're just trolling.

8/27/2008 #26
doomed89

no dude i'm not lol maybe it's the voice actress not liking Kataang and it's reflecting in the undertones of her voice but it really doesn't sound like shes happy about it, freaked out is what she sounds like

8/27/2008 #27
Son Kenshin

And then we have her realizing it as she looks at Aang. "Yes...I guess he is..."

You're just trolling.

8/27/2008 #28
doomed89

lol your losing hte argument so you say i'm trolling nice, and she looks even more freaked out when she says yea i guess so, like she's in shock

8/27/2008 #29
Son Kenshin

I haven't lost the arguement. You have. You refuse to acknowledge the overwhelming evidence, saying it was 'motherly'.

8/27/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: LadyLore3 ScatterSunshine50, moaaa, TheLadyBlackhawk
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member