Life and Death: A Samurai's Game
Discuss your favorite pairings, characters you'd want to live or die in the series if you made it. No, i don't own it & sorry for saying such things.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
NeverLookBackSamurai
I really want to know the opinions of others about who should've lived and died in the series. I think that Heihachi & Kyuzo should've lived but Manzo, Yohei, & that other farmer who's name escapes me, should have died.
1/5/2007 #1
Daughter of Horus
Ukyo should have lived! But then again, that's what fanfiction is for. I can just read a resurrection fic and cheer myself up--wait, there ARE no fics like that for him? Ukyo is ignored? Well, then I guess I'll just have to write my own. I agree with you about Heihachi and Kyuuzo--they were too badass to be killed by something so mundane as bullets/having heavy objects fall on them.
3/17/2007 #2
Gin van Geovanni
I SO agree with you! I was sooo pissed at the way they killed Kyuzo it was ironic and downright stupid! Throughtout the anime, he dodges bullets, cuts them in half(I think) and he taught the villagers archery! How in hell could they kill him by SHOOTING him!? How could they kill him at all!?

And Heihachi: Mere words cannot express how angry I am. How could he kill one of the Nobuseri but still get killed by the dead person!?

Then I also wished that Kikuchiyo didn't die he was so funny!

Those three are my favorite characters so I'm pissed that they were killed

And Ukyo is cool too, if you're making a fic where he comes back to life, then I so wanna read it. I was thinking of one where Kyuzo lives, but I'm a sloppy writer, so... yeah ^^;

5/1/2007 #3
Gin van Geovanni
I SO agree with you! I was sooo pissed at the way they killed Kyuzo it was ironic and downright stupid! Throughtout the anime, he dodges bullets, cuts them in half(I think) and he taught the villagers archery! How in hell could they kill him by SHOOTING him!? How could they kill him at all!?

And Heihachi: Mere words cannot express how angry I am. How could he kill one of the Nobuseri but still get killed by the dead person!?

And Ukyo is cool too, if you're making a fic where he comes back to life, then I so wanna read it. I was thinking of one where Kyuzo lives, but I'm a sloppy writer, so... yeah ^^;

5/1/2007 #4
Gin van Geovanni

5/1/2007 #5
Daughter of Horus
My Ukyo-lives story is on my profile--you can go there and read it. (I can't remember the URL.) Plese review, too--it would be really helpful.
5/2/2007 #6
Gin van Geovanni
I think I found a new friend in here! I am sooooooooo gonna read your fic ANd review, but can you read mine,too my writing is a bit sloppy, but I like writing, its addicting to me ^^;
5/2/2007 #7
Daughter of Horus
Sure, I'll go read it right now. Maybe I can help you with cleaning up your writing, as well.
5/3/2007 #8
RavenSara84
Personally I am not a happy bunny by the way that Kyuzo was killed; given the reasons that have been stated before, and that bullets? Come on! He should have died by the sword! Ofcourse I suppose the only way to kill him would have been by bullets; but still... I did like that Heichachi died with honour by fulfilling the mission Kanbei had given him; you know even if he was squished he managed to have a clear mind to distroy the place.
6/16/2007 #9
xiia
Heichachi should have lived, he was my favorite. I really think Kyuzo should have lived. I think that Shino's dad(can't remember his name) should have died, he was so annoying.
6/22/2007 #10
Gin van Geovanni
I agree wholeheartedly that Kyuzo and Heihachi should have lived, but about Monzou (Shino's father)I think he deserved to live, I'm not really sure why, but there's something about him that made me pity him . . . Personally, I wanted Kanbei to kick rocks (and bury himself in 'em too!). I'm all for the brooding type, but his brooding annoyed me, and half the time he acted lke he wanted to die, why didn't the creator just grant his wish!?
6/25/2007 #11
xiia
Kambei didn't bother me as much in the middle, he was a HUGE j*** though most though. I understand exactly what you mean. He did act like he wanted to die.
6/25/2007 #12
Gin van Geovanni
So why didn't he do that? Mostly, I'm opposed to character death in fanfic or otherwise, but after a few episodes, that guy had to go, or at least die saving the country (y'know like Kiku, Kyuzo, and Heihachi).
6/25/2007 #13
xiia
I know. It really did seem like that. The only thing that bothered me is they killed my two favorite ones, but not Kambei.
6/26/2007 #14
Gin van Geovanni
They were my favorites too. It was a tragedy.
6/27/2007 #15
xiia
I know. I watched it again yesterday with my brother, he was pretty mad too.
6/28/2007 #16
abbytherat
I really liked who died and who didn't. The Samurai era was ending and Kanna was probably the last real war, the last chance die the death Samurai dream of. The four who perished are now immortalized. As long as Kanna remains, so will their legacy. Kambei, on the other hand, seemed to dream of that death more than anyone else, mainly because he had nothing to live for anymore. He knew that being a Samurai had become a farce, and in the end, when he didn't die, he gave up his sword. The Samurai who died would be appreciated by the farmers, but farmers can't really understand what their sacrifice meant. I think Kambei needed to live as he was the only one who could truly understand it.

How people died is a whole different story. My biggest letdown was Tessai. He seemed really interesting and you just knew that he could kick some a**, then you finally get to see him fight for all of 2 seconds before Kyuzo gets him.

Ukyo's death was a little weird. He just wouldn't die. I mean, Kambei sliced him in friggin half and he wasn't even bleeding. He even got cracked in the face by Kiku and thrown off a ship and he could still get up and run for it. As far as fanfic writing goes, if he could survive that much already, who's to say he couldn't survive the final fall as well?

Kikuchiyo's death didn't bother me. I thought he was a d*** for promising Komachi he'd come back. You just don't do that. But the way he died just right. It was what was meant to be. Fic-wise,there is enough ambiguity about the nature of Machine Samurai and what that yellow light was (by the way, it's similar to the light that was in the Amanushi's eyes when he died) that I could work out a way to bring him back. As long as his soul survives he body can be rebuilt right?

As for Kyuzo, I actually really liked the way he went. He was such a badass that there was no way he'd die in a straight up battle. Someone had to die by friendly fire and it was just pure irony that the arguably best fighter in the group snuffed it in the wimpy rookie's crossfire. Plus it creates a wonderful opportunity to COMPLETELY mess with Katsushiro's head. The kid's sanity was already questionable with the whole attacking ghost Gorobei thing. Unfortunately we see Kyuzo die very clearly. There's no way to bring him back to life without pushing believability really far. Personally, the best way to bring him back would be to have him haunt Katsushiro's messed up psyche.

Finally, Heihachi... He was my favorite character and his death really pissed me off. It wasn't the fact that he died, or the way he died. I actually found it very poignant. He died a hero and gained redemption. Bringing him back to suffer the damage of being crushed and blown up would almost be cruel. No, what angers me is the fact that, if you watch the scene where he gets pinned carefully, you realize that it was actually almost impossible. He would have to be standing in front of the pillar, or next to it and moving towards the sword to get pinned like that. Instead he was standing BEHIND it!!! The sword was moving TOWARDS him!!! In a reality where physics applies he would just been knocked (albeit very violently) backwards. He would have had to jump at the sword to get pinned. Why the hell would he do that!?! Also, his back was to one of his charges. When he pressed his little button he should have been reduced to a pile of barely identifiable flesh. As far as bringing him back goes, the odds are as against him as they are Kyuzo. It could be done, but I'd approach it with a great deal of care and caution.

10/27/2007 #17
Daughter of Horus
Re. Ukyo's death: If you'd like to see what might have happened if he lived, check out my fic "Second Chances". It's got Ukyo/Kirara in it, though. What do you think about that pairing?

Re. Tessai: Damn right! I mean, he could have been so awesome! And then--then, he just DIED. Right like that!

Re. Heihachi: Wow, I never noticed that. You must have very good vision.

11/20/2007 #18
abbytherat
Re. Ukyo's death: I think I've read it. I do like the concept of Ukyo/Kirara. It would have to be treated very carefully though, but it could work and be very interesting. After all, Ukyo shows in the last episode that he does have more problems than just a big ego, and Kirara likes taking on responsibilities and helping people, so it's certainly not impossible given the right circumstances.

Actually, Ukyo's death is another one where I noticed something weird. How was he not cut in half by Kambei's attack? Huh? Tell me? And not only that but there's not even any blood, and HE GOT UP!!! He got up, got knocked off the ship by Kiku, got onto Kirara's carrier, got cracked IN THE FACE by Kiku (they guy who picks up a Raiden's sword like it's nothing)and knocked from a ship AGAIN, and still manages to get up and stagger around before getting thrown off a cliff by the Capitol. If he's already survived two of the most destructive forces in the series (Kambei's sword and Kiku's well... Kiku-ness) who's to say he can't survive something like a little fall from a cliff.

Re Heihachi: Thank you. I like to analyze things, and that includes animation (watch the scene in Ep 7 when Heihachi's in his underclothes and Gorobei tells him to get everyone up. He gets dressed in about 2 seconds flat. Also, pay attention to his neck throughout the series. Every now and then that boy's neck gets LOOONG). I just pick things like that up, especially when it's my fav character.

11/30/2007 #19
Daughter of Horus
Re. Ukyo's death: Of course he survived. He's UKYO. His awesomeness is proof against anything from swords to death-by-machine-samurai (although in Second Chances, Kyoichi saved him before he fell off the cliff.) But seriously, regarding the lack of blood--I think the animators were just lazy. It happens a lot when they animate him--count how many times they forget his gloves, for instance.

And as for why he wasn't cut in half: Kambei did the slashing with Kyuuzo's sword. Maybe it was already dull from being used on Tessai.

12/6/2007 #20
Gin van Geovanni
Very true aside from that, there is no real proof that he died at all. This may be just me, but it seems that no one can die from falling off a cliff. I sounds strange but its true. In LOTOR Gollum fell off a cliff, twice I think into a seemingly endless abyss, but he came back (with very few injuries in fact). In the Earthian anime when Kagetsuya dropped one of the enemy androids off a building (something like a sizemic toss really) that guy got up when his skull should have broken open. Finally in a random book I read, a woman with no climbing gear or anything gets pushed down the Grand Canyon . . . she got caught on a branch and lived. Who's to say the same did not happen to Ukyo and the animators just left it at that?
12/6/2007 #21
Zinbuki-san

Kiku shoulda lived D: I just love Kikuchiyo waaay too much. He was a funny, awesome, badass dude. But I admit - his death was also the coolest. I mean, I was like, "NOO! HE'S DEAD! ... wait, he's alive?! YEAH! ...oh, no, he died! ...oh, wait, HE'S STILL ALIVE! YEA-oh, damn, now he really died... nope, nope! He's alive! AWESOME! Haha, now he just died again. I bet he's still alive. ... ... ... aaaaany minute now... ... aw, damn, hes' really dead this time D:"

Honestly, that's pretty much how I reacted.

I think Kirara should have died. It's way to anti-climactic when a bunch of the main guys die but the main chick doesn't.

7/4/2008 #22
Negimasamurai

Ya, I soooooo agree with you guys. Kiku,Heihachi, Kyuzo, oh yeah, what about Gorobei? Do you think if he was alive, the others would have survived,if some female bi-pedal feline lady intervened? I' m currently busy with a story about my OC. Please help me become a great writer by reading and reviewing my work. My stories are on my fanfic profile, check it out.

4/6/2009 #23
Negimasamurai

Yeah,I agree . Kikuchiyo was my fave too, I hate to see people dying. Do you think that if Gorobei,Heihachi,Kiku,Kyuzo,Ukyo and Tessai (no matter how creepy) surivive and discover that Ukyo is(gasp!) female, don't be surprised.

4/7/2009 #24
Serulia Starlight

I think Kikichiyo shoulve lived, and kyuzo and heihachi live too. some farmers should die, and its ok that gorobei died. how i hate deaths though, kyuzo was my favorite character, he died so terribly, i understand that the anime needed to twist the true story about this (dont tell me you guys didnt know that samurai 7 is based on a true story) kyuzos death is different, kikichiyo doesnt die, i dunno if hiehachi and gorobei died. but basically, its the same, no mecha though.

11/11/2009 #25
Negimasamurai

I hate death too.

That's why I wrote a work called "Naga's Saga."

It handles on how Kikuchiyo, Gorobei,Ukyo,Heihachi and Kyuzo come back to life as nagas.

Half snake and half human, they eat other nagas that threaten the farmers. A word of warning though, it contains vore.

11/28/2009 #26
RaphaelsLittleSister

May Kambei and Kaatsushiro have died, and Kikuchiyo, Kyuzo and Heihachi have lived. (order doesn't matter, I loved them all.)

11/5/2010 #27
SimaZhao

Personally I enjoyed the series the way it was...I would have just made one small change, however. See I have this habit of when I start watching an anime the character I start off liking the most always died so in S7's case it was Heihachi. I was prepared for his death and I handled it very well, however, when Kyuzo died I freaking lost it! I really wasn't expecting such a bada** character of him to die and especially from a bullet e.e. I still have the nightmares.

5/7/2011 #28
Kairan1979

I understand why the viewers are upset about the deaths of Gorobei, Kyuzo, Heihachi and Kikuchiyo. But let's not forget that Samurai 7 was based on the classic movie, and these samurai died in the movie too.

10/21/2011 #29
shadowkitten12

I think that Kyuzo and Heihachi should have lived and Kyuzo had gotten together with Shino(I AM SO WEIRD!!). Manzo is a spineless fool but I find his daughter interesting for some reason.(even though you don't see much of her...) -_-

4/21/2012 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: NeverLookBackSamurai
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member