NotreDame De Paris discussion
Come and discuss the greatest novel ever written, NotreDame De Paris!please check with me before creating forums, or let me know if there is a topic you would like to see in the forum.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Lillebule

Character topic.

9/2/2010 #1
Doc M

Having watched Rigoletto over the weekend (based on Le Roi s'amuse, 1832 – the year after NDdP) it crossed my mind that Hugo had recycled the character of Phœbus as the King (the Duke in the opera).

9/8/2010 #2
Lillebule

Really? I'm gonna have to rent it and check that out.

9/17/2010 #3
Doc M

If you've never seen/heard Rigoletto, it's an adaptation of Hugo's Le roi s'amuse. The play was set at the court of François I of France, but Verdi's opera transposed it (for censorship reasons) to the court of the Duke of Mantua in 16C. The hunchbacked dwarf Rigoletto (Triboulet in the original play) is the court jester and sometime pimp for his lecherous master, the Duke/King. They are both cursed by a nobleman whose daughter has been seduced by the Duke/King. However, he has a beautiful daughter Gilda/Blanche, whom he keeps hidden away to protect her chastity. The girl has nevertheless fallen in love from afar with a handsome young man she's seen at church. As a result of a trick played on him by jealous courtiers, the jester finds that his daughter has been abducted and seduced by the Duke/King – but she doesn't actually mind very much, because he's the handsome young man she's got a crush on. Her father, however, is furious, and swears vengeance. He plots with an assassin to lure his master to a rendezvous with the assassin's beautiful sister, and have him killed. However, it all goes horribly wrong, and – instead of the Duke/King being killed – the jester finds that his daughter, still besotted with her lover, despite seeing him with another woman, has sacrificed her own life in his place.

The character of the Duke/King is essentially Phœbus moved to a higher social level. Gilda/Blanche's infatuation with him is rather Esméralda-ish, but she has more excuse, since her father has kept her locked away from the world.

9/18/2010 #4
BookObsesserNumberOne

The one and only Phoebus I will ever like is the Disney one. I watched the Disney version before I read the book, and as a result, loved both separately. So, I just separated them and decided to count them as different completely.

At least he got what he deserved, I guess.

5/12/2011 #5
Forum Moderators: Lillebule
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member