Princess Bride The book
Everyone's seen the movie, but how many hardcore fans have read the book too? Anything about the book drive you wild? Did you actually read the introductions? A place to discuss anything and everything Princess Bride... book.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
juch

Somewhere at the begging is said that he didn't want to get married. Only reason he needed wife was to possibly have child and therefore heir. So why he all of sudden decided to kill his wife off? I get all that stuff about war but in the end he'll still have to find another wife (from what I understood it was important to have heir after his father is dead). So why again took all that trouble to get himself new wife when he already after long time found one? (Again - it is important for him to have heir)

Wouldn't it make more sense if he tried to kill off somebody else? I mean - he needed her. He needed wife to give him child. He wouldn't even think about marrying if he didn't have to have heir once his father is dead. So why - all of sudden - kill her off?

10/29/2012 #1
Slyveon

I think he hatched the plan when he figured out that people love the fact that she was once one of them so they love her alot. people like rags to riches stories. he has the zoo of death where he kills these rare animals and then just has people go out and find him another one. So maybe buttercup is like his rare animal that he can have his servants find another one of. To him the heir thing can be postponed because he can use her to start what he really loves which is violence and war with Guilder. I dont think he could kill someone else cause the people don't really LOVE anyone else in the story as much as Buttercup.

5/9/2013 #2
Slyveon

I think he hatched the plan when he figured out that people love the fact that she was once one of them so they love her alot. people like rags to riches stories. he has the zoo of death where he kills these rare animals and then just has people go out and find him another one. So maybe buttercup is like his rare animal that he can have his servants find another one of. To him the heir thing can be postponed because he can use her to start what he really loves which is violence and war with Guilder. I dont think he could kill someone else cause the people don't really LOVE anyone else in the story as much as Buttercup.

5/9/2013 #3
Pica Britanica

I think the thrill of planning the murder and then the war was just too good for him, and he says after the first engagement to the princess of Guilder goes awry that he's always wanted to invade Guilder, ever since he was a child. I suppose that the fact that Buttercup was so loved and beautiful only made it easier to persuade the public in his mind. And I do believe there was three years between the proposal and the date of the wedding, though I'd have to check that.

Hope that clears some of it up. :)

8/23/2013 #4
Forum Moderators: phantomphan1992
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member