The Official Rant Board
If need to vent or anything about shows, fanfiction about them or just anything at all... you're in the right place.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Cloverfielder
I'm just curious to know, but several times I've been asked to remove stories because they are in script or screenplay format. Why is that?
11/19/2007 #1
Kamejen
Well, I couldn't say for sure, but I have a feeling that it has to do with the fact that script format is not usually a story (not the scripts people post here, anyway). A story needs setting, details, and more than just bits of dialogue strewn together chronologically. Most of the people who upload script format stories don't even write proper scripts. There are no stage directions, no stage setting of any kind, and I don't think I'm unfounded when I say that it's rare to even find people who bother to put in a description of their characters - relying solely on the fandom to recognize them all. Those are the reasons why script format is frowned upon in most fandoms. I would guess that's why it's against the rules here, but it's only a guess. ;) I have yet to see a single script format story that couldn't be better represented through prose.
11/20/2007 #2
Bob the Ant aka Hat-Boy
Script format doesn't count as writing. ALso, many time when I stumble upon a script format story, I go back. Script format is a pain to read.
11/24/2007 #3
Twilight Scribe
I do believe it's also an attempt to keep people from posting stories in the form of IM conversations. I know there's a "no instant message" clause somewhere in the TOS, but it may be that banning scripts gives the powers-that-be another thing to point to when enforcing the rules. But that's just my opinion.
12/1/2007 #4
Bob the Ant aka Hat-Boy
[q]I do believe it's also an attempt to keep people from posting stories in the form of IM conversations. I know there's a "no instant message" clause somewhere in the TOS, but it may be that banning scripts gives the powers-that-be another thing to point to when enforcing the rules. But that's just my opinion.[/q] Agreed. There's nothing wrong with IM stories!
12/1/2007 #5
Twilight Scribe
[q]There's nothing wrong with IM stories![/q] Now, now, I didn't say [i]that.[/i] >_> Personally, I've never liked IM stories. I suppose they're fine if they're well-done, but I've found that for the most part they're nothing but a conglomeration of chatspeak. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's chatspeak. I'm a stickler for proper grammar, so it just grates on me...
12/2/2007 #6
Red Raider
Screenplays are just as good as a normal story. There are so many classic screenplays out there, I reccomend 'All My Sons' by Arthur Miller; I read it in my English class and it was just as powerful as any novel or fanfic. I think it's going over the top to ban script format and, if people don't like reading scripts then they just don't read them! Other people do want to read them though, such as myself.
12/6/2007 #7
Cloverfielder
Then why not just allow screenplay format, like Final Draft of something? IM style is used for some of the threads of the televisions series, why not anything else?
12/6/2007 #8
CoolDiva
I'm not a fan of script format at all, but, people should be allowed to write any way they choose.
12/7/2007 #9
Zippie
[q]I'm not a fan of script format at all, but, people should be allowed to write any way they choose.[/q] People can write any way they choose. They just can't publish scripts here. I guess at the end of the day, this is Xing's site and he gets to say what kind of writing he wants published on this site - stories and poetry. I think there are probably loads of other sites on the web where people can publish their scripts etc...
12/10/2007 #10
Red Raider
Do you know of any sites? For that matter, does anyone know of any websites where you can do this? I know there are loads of fanfic websites out there but hardly any of them are as good as fanfiction.net. I just don't see what the big deal is? If somebody came along and said "I don't like first-person fanfics" does that justify banning those, so why is it banned for script format?
12/10/2007 #11
Zippie
[q]If somebody came along and said "I don't like first-person fanfics" does that justify banning those, so why is it banned for script format?[/q] It's not just [i]somebody[/i] that doesn't like script format, it is the OWNER of the site. It is up to him really. What he says goes. He has also banned lists, bloopers, polls, quizzes, choose your own adventure and second-person fics - anything that is not in story or poetry format. That's his choice and his right as owner. At the end of the day if you desperately want a website for publishing fanfics that are in script format there is nothing to stop you from creating one. For example, you could sign up to LiveJournal.com and create an account there for publishing your scripts and you could even start your own fanfic script community for others to contribute to. It's really easy and as the administrator of the community, you would get to say what was posted there, just like Xing gets to say what gets posted here. If you want to find other fanfic script sites then google it. But be warned... most of them will probably require proper scripts... not just the usual 'scripts' you see here.
12/10/2007 . Edited 12/10/2007 #12
Red Raider
Even though he is the owner of the site I still think it's unfair that he bans things for no good reason. It's like a leader of a country banning cars because he doesn't like them. All registered members of fanfiction.net make up the fanfiction.net community and therefore we should all have a say in how fanfiction.net is run. For example, if the owner of the site feels the need to change something then he will cast a vote and everyone will participate so we come to the fairest possible solution.
12/11/2007 #13
Zippie
[q]Even though he is the owner of the site I still think it's unfair that he bans things for no good reason. [/q] He might have a good reason, but he has chosen not to share it. [q]All registered members of fanfiction.net make up the fanfiction.net community and therefore we should all have a say in how fanfiction.net is run.[/q] I disagree. This is not a democracy, this is a business. If we were shareholders I would agree with you, but we are not. We use the site for free. It is paid for by the advertisers so they have all the real power. Sad, but true. [q]For example, if the owner of the site feels the need to change something then he will cast a vote and everyone will participate so we come to the fairest possible solution.[/q] That's not how businesses like this one run. In most businesses the power lies with the money. Those who pay get a say!
12/11/2007 #14
Red Raider
"This is not a democracy, this is a business." And as a business they need to keep us 'the customers' satisfied. "In most businesses the power lies with the money. Those who pay get a say!" Why do they have to ban all these different formats and stuff? If anything changes it will be the amount of members increasing! If they don't want that ten they are crap businessmen.
12/11/2007 #15
Zippie
[q]And as a business they need to keep us 'the customers' satisfied.[/q] The trouble is that there are A LOT of customers here so it would be impossible to keep them all happy. For every person that wants script format here, there are probably ten who don't. I for one, don't want to read scripts. I want to read stories. They are two very different things. I know a lot of people who feel the same way. [q]Why do they have to ban all these different formats and stuff?[/q] You'll have to ask Xing that. Why don't you send him an email? I'm sure he has his reasons. Perhaps it's because he intended this site to be for stories and he doesn't like scripts. Who knows? As I said, you'll have to ask him! ;) [q]If anything changes it will be the amount of members increasing! If they don't want that ten they are crap businessmen.[/q] When you consider the size of this site, I doubt very much that a few more script writers would make a big difference to the revenue which all comes from advertising anyway.
12/11/2007 #16
Red Raider
"For every person that wants script format here, there are probably ten who don't." I know that, but those who don't like scripts don't have to read them and those who do like scripts can. "You'll have to ask Xing that. Why don't you send him an email?" What's his e-mail address? "I doubt very much that a few more script writers would make a big difference" Sadly, you are right. :( Ah, well. I'll just have to constantly nag Xing until he allows script formats! :) Just kidding
12/11/2007 #17
Zippie
[q]What's his e-mail address?[/q] In the top right hand corner is the word [i]Extras[/i]. Wave your pointer over it and the words [i]Ad blocker[/i], [i]suport[/i] (Xing's spelling not mine), [i]privacy[/i] and [i]TOS[/i] should appear in the middle of the screen. Click on [i]Suport[/i]. That will launch an email for you. [q]Ah, well. I'll just have to constantly nag Xing until he allows script formats! :)[/q] Good luck with that! ;)
12/11/2007 #18
Red Raider
I tried sending an e-mail but I can't. It's probably a problem with my computer to be honest. Ah well, that's that idea lost. Thanks anyway
12/11/2007 #19
Kamejen
Uh... just so you guys know; we're not the customers here, lol. The advertising agencies that host their adverts on Xing's site are his customers. :p We're just users of his free service. Never did I say that all screenplays are rubbish. Screenplays themselves are wonderful if they're well-written, but they're not meant to simply be read like a book. This site is a place to host written work - work that is meant to be read, not acted out. Fanfiction is fiction that is fan-written. Screenplays are acting instructions and dialogue. I fail to see the part where the equal sign falls into place. :/ And besides, all of the script format stuff I've seen here doesn't even follow normal screenplay formatting or even include some of the most basic components. What people have submitted are not screenplays; they're bits of dialogue strewn together to simulate stories without having to specify any of the details. It's the lazy man's writing, if you ask me.
12/11/2007 #20
Cloverfielder
In that case, why not just require correct screenplay format instead of banning it?
12/19/2007 #21
Psycha Dea
Because most people are inherently ignorant, willfully or otherwise. Demanding proper script format is the same as demanding grammatically correct, proofread, quality fanfiction. 98% of the time it just doesn't happen. And, the core of the matter is that a script is [i]not[/i] a story. This site is primarily meant for stories and to a lesser degree poems. Scripts don't fall under either category and are therefore understandably not allowed.
12/20/2007 #22
Red Raider
What annoys me is that there is no real reason that script format is banned. I agree that stories are mainly what this site is about but what gets me is, if script format is banned, why isn't poetry. Can anyone suggest any other fanfic sites that do allow script format?
12/20/2007 . Edited 12/27/2007 #23
Netbug-Archive
There's a site rule against it. That's why.
12/27/2007 #24
Red Raider
'There's a site rule against it. That's why.' That's not a real reason.
12/30/2007 #25
Psycha Dea
Yeah, but you're not listening to the real reason, namely that a script is [i]not[/i] a story. And yes, poems are not stories either, but apparently there's an exception for those. That doesn't mean they have to make an exception for anything else, such is the beauty of the concept of 'exception' ;)
12/30/2007 #26
Red Raider
I don't mean to get angry but; A SCRIPT IS A STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you disagree with me then just read All My Sons by Arthur Miller or a View From The Bridge and then I'd like to see anyone claim that they aren't as effective as stories. I know that if they allow script format then there will be loads of rubbish ones but this is the same for the stories that are already on fanfiction.net
12/30/2007 #27
Netbug-Archive
A think script is a story too, but there's a site rule against it. Yes, it is a real reason if you respect the website and appreciate it offering you it's services at all.
12/30/2007 #28
Psycha Dea
Okay, this is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of definition. Personally I admire anyone who can write a decent script and I do enjoy them when well written, but a script is not a story. It tells a story. The difference is in the writer's perspective. In a story, the plot is told as experienced by a character, an all knowing teller or an all seeing teller, but in either of the three cases, we're talking about a perspective from inside the world of the story. Take science fiction, not matter which perspective you chose, in a story, it'll always be the perspective of someone in that world. Ie. you wouldn't tell a Stargate story throught the perspective of a Battlestar Galactica character (unless you're writing a crossover of course). A script however is told from the perspective of an 'outsider', someone outside the world the story is taking place in. It includes directions for the characters, but also lighting crew, propscrew, cameramen and designers, which is yet another distinction. A good story will allow a reader to get immersed into it, with a script, no matter how well written, there are constant remainders that the storyline itself is fiction. Whereas a good written story, will make you forget that it is. So, factually speaking, a script is not the same as a story and therefore it is a valid reason for ff.net not to include scripts based on that distinction. You don't have to like it and you're definitely not the only person who doesn't like it, but that doesn't mean the reasons given are invalid.
12/30/2007 #29
Red Raider
'The difference is in the writer's perspective. In a story, the plot is told as experienced by a character, an all knowing teller or an all seeing teller, but in either of the three cases, we're talking about a perspective from inside the world of the story.' That is a load of rubbish. Most stories, books and poetry are written in the third person i.e. 'from the perspective of an 'outsider', someone outside the world the story is taking place in' which you seem to think only applies to scripts. 'A good story will allow a reader to get immersed into it, with a script, no matter how well written, there are constant remainders that the storyline itself is fiction. Whereas a good written story, will make you forget that it is.' A good script will present the reader with a story just like a 'good written story' would. I keep saying this and no one is taking my advice, why don't you read All My Sons by Arthur Miller and it will prove that scripts are just as effective as stories. 'You don't have to like it and you're definitely not the only person who doesn't like it, but that doesn't mean the reasons given are invalid.' I know we aren't the customers and therefore we can't demand anything but the fact is that banning script format achieves nothing except from pissing off the people who do want script format. The real customers are the adverts who pay to appear on the site, but why would they care if there is script format. If anything they would want it because it would result in more people joining ff.net.
12/31/2007 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: CoolDiva
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member