Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Warped-Imagination

That's right you heard it. SOPA is out for everyone once again.

The SOPA (Stop Online Privacy Act) bill has resurfaced and is once again trying to be passed. The link attached will take you to a petition. Unless this petition reaches 100,000 signatures by next week, this will happen:

• All websites containing media that refers to or is owned by a company that hasn't given its permission for the media to be displayed can and will be shut down. This means sites such as Tumblr, Wattpad, Pinterist, fanfiction.com.
  • People who post such media can and will be fined, with a maximum sentence of five years in prison. This includes, but is not limited to, people who own/post the following: fanfiction, fan art, roleplay blogs, fan blogs/accounts and movie streaming sites.

"The legislation would allow copyright holders and the Justice Department to seek court orders against websites associated with copyright infringement. SOPA, the House version, applies to both domestic and foreign websites, while PIPA targets foreign websites. If that court order is granted, the entire website would be taken down. Internet users who typed in the site's URL address would receive an error message, and for all appearances, the site would never have existed. Importantly, the court does not need to hear a defense from the actual website before issuing its ruling. The entire website can be condemned without a trial or even a traditional court hearing." This is not a joke.

This is real.

Please Follow the Link and sign this petition if you care anything about your fandoms and fan fiction.

or PetitionWhiteHouse.org.

3/12/2014 #1
Izlawake

I signed it and shared it on Facebook; glad to do my part. Who wants this sort of thing to pass? Aren't there more important things for the Government to worry about instead of fanfics, fanart, etc?

3/12/2014 #2
infiniteworld8

This isn't true, right?right!?? because if they take away fanfiction I will die... Seriously though is SOPA really coming back I may curl up and hide away from the world if they take away my fanfiction.

I hope nobody minds if I repost this post (original post) in a few forums I frequent. I'm also thinking about posting a few fics I have early and putting a call for votes on this petition instead of reviews, considering that two of my main fics get considerable traffic I should be able to get at least a few votes.

3/12/2014 . Edited 3/12/2014 #3
Lemontention

While I don't want a SOPA bill of any sort to pass, I haven't seen anything that says a bill like SOPA, or SOPA itself has been resurrected. Why has no one covered this? Not the Huntington Post or TYT, or anything else. There are no articles, just a bunch of random fanfiction authors and fan artists that are talking about it.

3/12/2014 #4
Naruzeldamaster

Um... pretty sure fanfiction.com admins get the copyright owner's permission to list fanfiction of their work on their website....and any material of the artists/copyright owners that haven't are removed by the site admin anyway....

3/12/2014 #5
Lorendiac

NaruTard 1.5 said:

Um... pretty sure fanfiction.com admins get the copyright owner's permission to list fanfiction of their work on their website....and any material of the artists/copyright owners that haven't are removed by the site admin anyway....

I hadn't heard that exact claim before. What's your source? I had the impression -- which may well be wrong! -- that it worked more this way:

"Fanfiction.net admins pay attention if a copyright owner contacts them to say for the record that he explicitly forbids them to host any fanfiction derived from his work."

Ergo, no fanfics based on the writings of Anne Rice or Terry Goodkind, for instance.

That's not the same thing as "a new category for a movie or TV show is only created on this site after the owner of the relevant rights has given a letter of permission to the admins."

3/12/2014 . Edited 3/12/2014 #6
Naruzeldamaster

Yeah, my impression of that statement was if the copyright owners don't care, then SOPA won't care about fanfiction.net.

It's when Copyright Owners start B&M ing about their properties that the government decides to act with anything copyright related.

3/12/2014 #7
DH7

That would be an awful lot of authors to get permission from, considering the mass amount of categories. It's not so much that FFN gets permission from authors, so much as they oblige the requests of authors who don't want fanfiction on their works posted here.

3/12/2014 #8
crankyman7

When last I looked [which was about half a hour ago], I hadn't found any source for SOPA being considered by the U.S. Congress. There have been concerns about provisions similar or identical to the controversial aspects of SOPA being inserted into the TPP trade agreement, but SOPA, the bill, is to my knowledge, not being considered at this time. I'm guessing that information regarding the debate over TPP got turned into a story of SOPA's return via the internet-equivalent of the game of telephone.

3/12/2014 #9
DH7

On an unrelated note, I used to love hijacking that game. I'd ignore what I thought I heard and say something completely nonsensical.

Your mother's birthday is tomorrow?

Nope!

Klingons have been laying eggs in your cheese dip.

3/12/2014 #10
Lemontention
When last I looked [which was about half a hour ago], I hadn't found any source for SOPA being considered by the U.S. Congress. There have been concerns about provisions similar or identical to the controversial aspects of SOPA being inserted into the TPP trade agreement, but SOPA, the bill, is to my knowledge, not being considered at this time. I'm guessing that information regarding the debate over TPP got turned into a story of SOPA's return via the internet-equivalent of the game of telephone.

I was thinking along those lines. The man who originally drafted the SOPA bill, or was at least somehow importantly connected to it, was put in the TPP discussions. I think, at least from what the one news article about this that I read, the other nations weren't budging when it came to something regarding copy-right.

3/12/2014 #11
cathrl
Unless this petition reaches 100,000 signatures by next week, this will happen:

(insert a bunch of random scare stories)

Link to something remotely resembling evidence for this, please.

I didn't know US law depended on how many signatures petition sites could gather within a week.

3/13/2014 #12
MTSP-t

Someone please tell me this is a hoax. I'm actually terrified. I know not to write any fanfics based on Anne Rice, Robin McKinley and Terry Goodkind etc - but I'll go insane if Fanfiction gets taken down because of this SOPA act.

Why haven't I heard about this in the daily technology news? I had no idea till I came across this forum... is there a proper source for this?

3/13/2014 . Edited 3/13/2014 #13
yuyane

I honestly doubt that SOPA will ever pass, so I'm not worried. Sure, there are risks, but this not only affects fanfiction, but other media sites too, and I'm sure not everyone is going to let it pass without making a fuss about it. Plus, I never heard about this. Only fanfiction users seem to be going on about SOPA 2014. Why is that?

3/13/2014 #14
LMRaven

If the copyright holders haven't done anything about fanfiction by this point, I highly doubt SOPA will have any effect. Please stop spreading the paranoia. Its target focus is non American websites out of DMCA jurisdiction that pirate copyrighted material. This is an American site out of California and in DMCA jurisdiction already. If the copyright holders didn't want people writing fanfiction that isn't being sold for profit, they would have already done something just like Ann Rice and the others on the restricted list. This site does not pay for permission from the copyright holders for people to be able to write fanfiction. That would have to be something every individual fanfic writer would have to get on a case by case basis. And even if this site could get a blanket permission, the cost would be ridiculously high (in the multi-millions) and cost would have to be absorbed by site members, meaning a membership fee.

3/13/2014 . Edited 3/13/2014 #15
Lorendiac

Cathrl said:

Link to something remotely resembling evidence for this, please.

I didn't know US law depended on how many signatures petition sites could gather within a week.

I was wondering about the supposed chain of cause-and-effect, myself. I live in the USA, and I've had people ask for my signature on a petition before, but they don't usually try to tell me that our signatures will definitely prevent a piece of legislation from making it through Congress and becoming the law of the land.

3/13/2014 #16
LMRaven
but they don't usually try to tell me that our signatures will definitely prevent a piece of legislation from making it through Congress and becoming the law of the land.

Because that is usually a lie. Signatures on a petition do not decide what becomes Federal law and what doesn't. That's not how it works on the US Federal level. They may have some effect on how an individual state congressman or senator casts his/her vote but considering there are 100 senators and 435 house representatives, that would take at least 51 different petitions signed by a hell of a lot of constituents for each senator and even more for the majority of congressmen to sway a vote So, no, 100,000 signatures is just a drop in the bucket of what is actually needed to have any pull whatsoever on the total amount needed. 100,000 signatures may not even effect the sway on a state congressman vote let alone the US overall.

Still it is doubtful the bill will be passed as it is written right now. The verbiage is too broad and many are concerned with the potential abuse of it and that is while it focuses on non American sites, many websites are worried that because the language in it is too broad, it leaves many sites open to be shut down without much proof of copyright infringement. An individual who infringes on copyright always have been and will still be held legally accountable for that copyright infringement. That isn't going to change. Where the concern is, is in regards to the potential forceful shut down of whole websites because of copyright infringement. However, if most copyright holders have not had any issues with this site thus far, I doubt SOPA will change that.

Edit - BTW, a petition on the whitehouse dot gov site must get 100,000 signatures in order to get a response...a response is a hell of a lot different than dictating the outcome of a bill and there already is one on there that reached over 110,000 signatures for anti-SOPA put on last year and it hasn't received a response yet.

3/13/2014 . Edited 3/13/2014 #17
crankyman7

@ Alumi

"Plus, I never heard about this."

Please read my initial post in this thread. I've addressed this.

3/13/2014 #18
Soleneus

Yeah, I've seen exactly nothing on any site except this one and the Petition website that says anything about SOPA coming back. I signed the petition anyway, just to be safe, but if it all turns out to be some sort of Hoax, Imma be angry. The last time SOPA popped up, it got stopped right quick, so why would there only be 30,000 signatures so far unless there is no SOPA right now?

I've no doubt someone will try it again, and we the authors, lovers and viewers of fanfiction, Fan art and the rest will close it down quickly. I'm putting faith in my fellow man here, don't disappoint me!

...random people I've never met...yeah...

3/13/2014 #19
Amity33

I signed the petition and shared it as well just in case, but I haven't seen much on the news about it...so it might be a false alarm after all. I'll be glad if it is, the whole thing is just too idiotic; if anything, fanfiction and fanart only helps promoting books, movies and similar products, and free of charge at that. But I guess it doesn't hurt to let it be known that we won't let it slide if they do try to pass such a law again.

3/13/2014 #20
cathrl

I think it does hurt if the proponents of the bill can point to nonsense like the first post in this thread and say "sure, you got over 100,000 signatures, but only based on scare stories and outright lies."

If what's being proposed is heinous, then there should be no problem getting support for the opposition to it without having to embroider the truth.

3/14/2014 #21
LMRaven

I'm curious, but what, if anything, does anyone expect to happen once this petition reaches 100,000 signatures? If anyone bothered to read what it actually says on the US government petition website regarding the petition system, all it says i a petition must reach 100,000 signatures to get a response. A response is just that, a written reply by a government department that, judging by their other responses to petitions, sounds more like bureaucratic PR spin. The one there for anti-SOPA that was put there last year, which is over 100,000 signatures is still waiting for a response. So, no, 100,000 signatures is not going to make or break this bill. What will and has continued to break it in the past, is the strong opposition to it by many lawmakers and internet lobbies.

3/14/2014 . Edited 3/14/2014 #22
DH7

Several forums over at Fimfiction are having threads pop up like this, so much so, that some admins have taken to banning SOPA threads. However, no one seems to be talking about TPP, or giving reasons as to what's wrong with the hearsay epidemic, as people in this thread have.

I don't know enough about the issue, or about TPP, to bring it up without creating more inacurate hearsay.

3/14/2014 #23
LMRaven

The thing is, what does affect this site at all is the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) which is law, currently standing and it has been a law for years. If anything was going to happen to this site (or individual members) by copyright holders, it most likely would have been done by now.

Edit - SOPA has no bearing on creating and posting fan art, fanfiction, etc. If you're using copyrighted material outside of what the courts consider fair use (ruled on a case by case basis), of you're creating Youtube videos with songs and clips from movies without a sync license or fan art using copyrighted photographs, the DMCA already has the ability to make individuals (and US based websites) legally liable (see Youtube vs ASCAP and NMPA vs Fullscreen). Just because in many cases the copyright holders don't bother too much with fan creations without proper licensing unless it is going for a profit doesn't mean they can't or won't in the future. The only way SOPA will really affect creators of fan art or fanfiction is that it can effectively strip the avenues on which you can publish it, mostly on sites outside of US and do so without much proof.

3/14/2014 . Edited 3/14/2014 #24
DH7
of you're creating Youtube videos with songs and clips from movies without a sync license or fan art using copyrighted photographs, the DMCA already has the ability to make individuals

I've always thought the legality of doing this was rather shakey at best, but I hope that there's never a mass-crack-down on this. I absolutely love fan-made music videos. Bonus points for slapping metal on something that you normally wouldn't expect to be listening to metal to.

3/14/2014 #25
LMRaven
I hope that there's never a mass-crack-down on this.

There kind of was. ASCAP, one of the major music publishers sued Google/Youtube for it. However, Youtube has struck a deal with Harry Fox Agency, NMPA, and several others for a broad sync license to allow it. ASCAP and their musicians, I do not think are part of the deal. (www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405384,00.asp). So it's a matter of knowing which musical artist falls under which music publisher (and if they allow it) before uploading anything. As far as using film clips to sync with the music, I don't know about that. That may still be copyright infringement unless movie and TV studios struck a similar deal I'm not aware of. I know Marvel doesn't allow it for certain.

3/14/2014 #26
Wildcard999

I absolutely love fan-made music videos.

My fav music video ever is a fan-vid perfectly sync'd to the song Numb. It's an Avatar: the Last Airbender vid and if you want to search it, it's called Numb-Toph. It gives so much more power to the song.

3/14/2014 #27
readingaddict24

i signed it and shared it

3/15/2014 #28
Lord Kelvin
SOPA (Stop Online Privacy Act)

The word is Piracy, not Privacy.

Follow the Link and sign this petition if you care anything about your fandom

No logical link between following the obscure link and caring about my fandom.

3/15/2014 #29
LMRaven
No logical link between following the obscure link and caring about my fandom.

Amen to that! :)

And if there were a Stop Online Privacy Act petitiion, I definitely would not sign it. Good catch. Not that I'm going to bother signing the actual SOPA one either, but still.

3/15/2014 . Edited 3/15/2014 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys CrystalRei, Ragnelle, LMRaven, Maryilee, cathrl
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member