Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
United Sauce

*hijacked by moderator*

A topic to list down common FFN slang or ask about ones you don't know. If you've ever wondered what AU is, or OOC, here is the place to find out.

Post #2 lists down all the slang we've collected so far.

Please make sure the term you want to add or ask about is not in the topic already before you post. Helpful tip: Press Ctrl F and then type in the word you want, then press Enter. Your browser should locate the word for you if it is on the page. (On Firefox, you don't need to press Enter.)

(Also: I may clean the topic up every once in a while and merge posts or delete irrelevant posts.)

3/25/2009 . Edited by Rhea Silverkeys, 8/12 #1

List of FFN Slang (Updated to Post #145)

Edit: Writing slang list. Locations of other slang lists will be at the bottom and include post numbers.

A/N: Author's Notes.

Abandon ship: Massive, nearly-simultaneous occurrence of jumping ship; a large number of fans all leaving the pairing at once due to a ship sinking event in canon.

AU: Alternate Universe or Alternate Universe character.

BAMF: When someone mysteriously appears out of thin air into a fandom, generally a fic that has the dreaded "Girl falls into fanfic world" plot. Term may have originated from the sound effect for X-Men character Nightcrawler when he teleports. Less commonly BAMF stands for [missing].

C2: Also C-squared or 'Connected Community', a list of stories a user has put together, usually with a similar theme or level of quality.

Canon-Sue: taking a canon character and giving her Mary-Sue traits. i.e., Hermione is suddenly adored by everyone at Hogwarts, has multiple lovers, is a vampire, great at Quidditch, and kills Voldemort.

Crack fic: A story with an extremely implausible premise.

Citrus: A sexual story; see also Lemon and Lime.

Concrit: Constructive Criticism.

Description!Nameofcharacter: Represents a type of character being written, e.g. Evil!Aragorn would mean a story in which Aragorn from Lord of the Rings is portrayed as an evil character, when in the original story he is a good character.

Drabble: Technically a story of exactly 100 words, but often applied to an extremely short story.

Fandom s.lut: A character who gets paired frequently with everyone in the fandom, for reasons no one quite understands. A good example is Dib in Invader Zim, who's been paired frequently with Zim, Gir, and a host of minor characters and OCs. A more common example is Ren Tao from Shaman King, who gets paired with anything that moves.

Fanfic: short for fanfiction.

FDaRH: Fallen Down a Rabbit Hole; essentially a character appearing suddenly and inexplicably, much like BAMF

Flame: Scathing review, post or PM that insults an author and possibly the story without any constructive bent.

Flashfic: A story that is no longer than 500 words.

Fluff: Light-hearted romance, many 'feel-good' moments.

H/C (Hurt/Comfort): One character is harmed, the other comforts.

IC: In character.

Lemon: Exact definition missing, but generally a more explicit form of citrus

Lime: Exact definition missing, but generally a less explicit form of citrus

Mary Sue: An extremely unrealistic or unstable character; Google 'Mary Sue Star Trek' for defining fanfic.

MC: Main character.

Mpreg: Male pregnancy.

Name-splicing: A crossing of two character's names, normally to indicate the pairing in a relationship fic. In its original use, the aggressor of the relationship is put first but this aspect of portmanteau-ing has become mostly obsolete. e.g. Dramione = Draco and Hermione, Dexdark = Dexter and Mandork.

OC: Original Character

oc: Other character

OOC: Out of Character (also OoC)

OTP: One True Pairing

OT3: One True Threesome

Pairing: Two characters romantically involved.

Portmanteau: A crossing of two character's names, normally to indicate the pairing in a relationship fic. In its original use, the aggressor of the relationship is put first but this aspect of portmanteau-ing has become mostly obsolete. e.g. Dramione = Draco and Hermione, Dexdark = Dexter and Mandork.

PWP: P*** without plot; usually a pairing oriented one-shot, featuring two characters getting it on with each other without any explanation, build-up or bothering to tell or show the when's, why's, or wherefore's

R&R: read and review

RPF: Real person fic (not allowed at the site)

Sand-Bagging: falsely accusing someone of plagiarism because they are using the same idea someone else has; most ideas are independently conjured by multiple people and usually different enough to not constitute plagiarism

Self-Insert: Original Character that has much in common with the author and is in a way, the author's avatar within the fic. Not always a Mary Sue, but often and easily can be

Shipping: Relationshipping; pairing characters together

Ship sinking: a scene/revelation that destroys any reasonable chance for two characters to get together (betrayal, death, revealed to be siblings, etc.), which results in most fans either dropping the pairing or ignoring that particular piece of canon. A fan who continues to support the pairing after a ship sinking is said to "go down with the ship". Fans may pledge to go down with their ship before a ship sinking happens.

Ship war: A war between two followings of different 'ships, usually sharing one common character, thus the reason for their fighting.

Shonen-ai: Japanese gay pairing; male (non-sexual)

Shoujo-ai: Japanese gay pairing; female (non-sexual)

Slash: Gay pairing, typically malexmale

Snark: making a scathing comment to or about someone

Songfic: A fic about, inspired by, with a theme of or including the lyrics to a song. Note: Those fics including the lyrics violate the TOS.

Squick: Particularly gross pairings *contested* a reaction to particularly gross subjects or plot elements, often pairings

Suefic: A Mary Sue fic

Suethor: A writer of Mary Sue fics

Twincest: Pairing twins (why, I have no idea)

Two-shot: Two chapter fic, not planned to continue

UST: Unresolved Sexual Tension; two characters which like each other but never pair up

Yaoi: Japanese gay pairing; male (sexual)

Yuri: Japanese gay pairing; female (sexual)

WIP: work in progress

Anime slang: post 180

Hard core slang: post 100

Non-writing slang: post 4

Harry Potter Slang: post 164

Shaman King slang: post 46

Star Trek slang: post 53

TvTropes slang: post 275

Edit: B-P have gone missing because apparently Windows now has a problem with the cursor and will randomly highlight crap when you aren't even near the mouse. :@

3/25/2009 . Edited by Rhea Silverkeys, 8/12 #2

Oh, I feel the need to jump in here, 'cause there's something I always wanted to know: what's with the exclamation mark thingie?

For example:

I mean, it's not too hard figuring out what is meant, but why is it written like this? Or sometimes with an upside down exclamation mark?

3/25/2009 #3

If it's upside down, I'd assume the person is Spanish or Portuguese. The exclamation mark probably means this is a major revelation to them and meant to be controversial and attract attention, good or bad. Sounds like gimmick writing to me.

Oh yeah, I guess this would be Writing or General, huh?

Edit: Term links lead to discussions on the exact definitions of certain terms.

Non-writing related definitions:

BRB: Be Right Back

IIRC: If I Remember Correctly.

I liek pie: A random sentiment purposely mispelled and meant to communicate less than the obvious; a statement feigning idiocy

IMHO: In My Honest Opinion

LMAO: Laughing My A** Off

LOL: Laugh Out Loud

OFC: Of Course

OT: Off Topic

OMG: Oh My God

PM: Private Message

POV: Point of View; who is narrating

Pwn: Own, but better; to dominate utterly

RL: Real Life; reality

Rofl: Rolling On The Floor Laughing

Sp?: Spelling?; asking for spelling assistance

Spam: Useless posts, usually many in a row, that serve only to clutter a thread, annoy the posters and possibly provoke contraversy or anger

SN: Screen name

tl;dr: Too long; didn't read

TTYL: Talk to you later

TY: Thank you

W**: What the f**

WTH: What the h**

3/25/2009 . Edited 3/16/2011 #4
HK-47 Scarlet

This may be me just being picky but I'd like to point this out...since it's something that confuses a lot of people.

Yaoi: Japanese gay pairing; male

Yuri: Japanese gay pairing; female

That's true, but Yaoi is a fic that focuses on the explicit aspect of a MxM relationship, as Yuri is the same, only FxF. Shonen-ai is also MxM, but there's no explicit content; it mainly focuses on the relationship. Shoujo-ai(sp?) is the same only FxF.

I just thought it would be a good idea to point that out, so people don't put Yaoi when they mean Shonen-ai, or Yuri when they mean Shoujo-ai. I know I tend to avoid Yaoi, but go to Shonen-ai, so I think it's important that it's categorized correctly as to not push away potential readers because of a little mistake. ^^

7/1/2009 #5

Oh, I didn't realize that. Thanks.

*The faces of those tainted by Mary Sues* XD

7/1/2009 #6
HK-47 Scarlet

No problem. Not a lot of people do. Even fans of Shonen-ai instantly brand a show Yaoi, just because it's two men in a relationship. Same thing with Yuri.

Hehe, I couldn't resist. Yu-gi-oh! has the best icons. XD

7/1/2009 #7

ZOMG awesome topic! Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Two character's names portmanteaued together (i.e., Dexdark for Dexter's Lab): a story that focuses on those two characters

(Whichever character is first in the ship is said to be the aggressor/pursuer in the relationship, but this has largely been abandoned, as many 12 year olds don't get the concept.)

Crack fic: a fic where everyone acts insane and high

7/2/2009 #8

'Bamf' may refer to the sound effect of Nightcrawler's (Marvel's X-Men) teleport ability. It may be like '*poof* you're there'.

7/4/2009 #9

This is a really helpful topic for those who are new to fan fiction slang. I've learnt the hard way, I guess, and now I'm familiar with most of the abbreviations and slang words, though I couldn't figure out what "yaoi" was. Now I know. Thanks to everyone who took the pains to explain!

7/10/2009 #10
Wendy Brune

Here's one I've seen but don't know: PWP.

7/15/2009 #11
Aislynn Crowdaughter

PWP = Plot what plot? Usually a pairing oriented one-shot, featuring two characters getting it on with each other without any explanation, build-up or bothering to tell or show the whens, whys, or wherefores.

7/16/2009 #12

Also called P*** Without Plot.

(grumble, language filter)

7/16/2009 . Edited 7/16/2009 #13

Should we do fandom-specific slang as well? I just remembered a rather widely used Shaman King slang term, but I don't think it would be relevant in a general list.

7/17/2009 #14

Well, there's Spockura, and Spirk, and Kock (I'm sorry! I'm sorry!), and also wangst, which is .. umm, I forget what that is.

7/17/2009 #15

Wangst sounds like it has similar roots the whaaaambulance. Sounds like angst that is oh, so sad.

Anyway, I think fandom specific slang is fine as long as it's posted in posts after the writing slang post. I say, go ahead and edit your own posts to include whatever slang you think will be helpful!

7/18/2009 #16

Okay, so I'm going to include the Shaman King term here. Thanks for the clarification Darkwinter!

Ren service: Referring to the ridiculous amount of fan service given to Tao Ren in the Shaman King anime series. Ren appears (non-explicitly) nude in the anime at least four times, and shirtless more times than I care to count. The amount of fan service is so ridiculous that there are two fanservice designations for Shaman King: Ren service (which applies to Ren) and fanservice (which applies to everyone else).

7/20/2009 #17

Np, Satine, but I'd edit your earliest post so it's closer to the top and people can see it. I'll also edit my post to include a reference that later posts will have other types of slang.

If you decide to move your slang to an earlier post, let me know so I can change the post number I said Shaman King slang is in.

Rhea, what do you think of the new layout? Check post three.

7/20/2009 . Edited 7/20/2009 #18
Rhea Silverkeys

It looks good! Thanks for doing it, Darkwinter!

Should I delete post #2, so that yours is seen directly under the first post?

7/21/2009 #19

It sounds like a good idea, and I doubt Otherrelm would mind. You could also edit Ed. Guess's first post so the first line says all definitions are in my post. Most people read the first post of a thread and nothing else, and if it's a long one, they read the first few lines and nothing else.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it. I had time...seemed like a good idea...and I'm trying to make it as clear, straightforward and newbie-friendly as possible. If anyone ever has suggestions on something, let me know!

7/21/2009 #20
Rhea Silverkeys

Done! You probably want to edit out your response to Otherrealm's post XD

I've been intending to delete all the posts that are already mentioned in yours, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and go through that just yet.

7/21/2009 #21

Why? I don't think it's a problem for them to stay there until people's posts start getting bumped off the front page that have definitions, but there's posts on this page that don't have any. Until then, shouldn't the WA keep it's hard-won post count?

Anyway, I'll edit my post accordingly. Thanks.

Edit: What's IMHO mean? I can never remember.

7/21/2009 . Edited 7/21/2009 #22
Rhea Silverkeys

Why? I don't think it's a problem for them to stay there until people's posts start getting bumped off the front page that have definitions, but there's posts on this page that don't have any. Until then, shouldn't the WA keep it's hard-won post count?

It's kind of redundant if a post that only lists a few definitions, has the same content in yours, don't you think?

What's IMHO mean?

In my honest opinion.

7/22/2009 #23
Mistress V

OK, I am kind of new to the forum but will add a couple of things.

IIRC: (non fic)---If I remember correctly. Used to clarify canoin/fic issues, whatever.

OFU: Official Fanfiction University. Started in the Lord of the Rings fandom, way back in 2002. There have been many spin-offs (Redwall's is particularly hilarious). The premise is that a writer of, shall we say, questionable fic (usually a teenaged fangirl) finds she can no longer post stories to ff.net. Then, somehow, she is transported to the setting of her fandom, where she meets scores of other writers Just Like Her. They are there to learn the rudiments of proper, believable and good fanfiction writing (not as simple as it seems) at the 'university'. At the end of the term, provided they pass their courses, they will be granted their writer's license. The staff are all characters of the fandom, with the author(s) of the piece also making an appearance. The writers learn how not to glomp, what the fandom is really about, etc. all in a very witty and satirical way. Trust me, it may sound lame but it isn't. The only problem is---the audience it is aimed at doesn't get it. Sigh. (I am toying with one for Star Trek 09...)

Trek acronyms: If you write or read Star Trek in any incarnation, the series/film is usualy designated by an acronym, TOS: The Original Series, DS9:Deep Space Nine, ST09: current film, etc.

7/29/2009 #24

I've added IIRC and OFU to the appropriate lists, and added a mention and link about the ST acronyms. Thanks for your contribution. If you'd like to add more Star Trek slang, I'd appreciate it if you'd add it to this post.

7/29/2009 #25
Kiseki Lin

Doesn't look like these are up yet:

OTP: One True Pairing. Used in fandoms to express what characters you ship. (Put together romantically)

OT3: Very similar to OTP, which is about two people. This; however, is One True Threesome.

7/30/2009 #26

Added. Thanks for you assistance.

7/31/2009 #27

I'm still confused between the difference of lime and lemon. I know lemon is flat-out, explicit sex, but what is the true definition of a lime?

8/1/2009 #28
Kiseki Lin

As far as I know, lemon is when everything is explicit in detail. Usually limes, on the other hand, tend to stop before sexual i*** happens.

8/1/2009 #29

So, would the rating of a lime still be considered Teen or would it raise to M as would a lemon? I'm thinking it stays at Teen though.

8/1/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys CrystalRei, Ragnelle, LMRaven, Maryilee, cathrl
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member