Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
United Sauce

*highjacked by moderator*

A topic to list down common FFN slang or ask about ones you don't know. If you've ever wondered what AU is, or OOC, here is the place to find out. Post #2 lists down all the slang we've collected so far.

Please make sure the term you want to add or ask about is not in the topic already before you post. Helpful tip: Press Ctrl + F and then type in the word you want, then press Enter. Your browser should locate the word for you if it is on the page. (On Firefox, you don't need to press Enter.)

(Also: I may clean the topic up every once in a while and merge posts or delete irrelevant posts.)

3/25/2009 . Edited by Rhea Silverkeys, 7/21/2009 #1
Wildcard999

Edit: Writing slang list. Locations of other slang lists will be at the bottom and include post numbers.

A/N: Author's Notes

Abandon ship: massive, nearly-simultaneous occurrence of jumping ship; a large number of fans all leaving the pairing at once due to a ship sinking event in canon.

AU: Alternate Universe or Alternate Universe character

BAMF: 1. Sound effect for X-Men character Nightcrawler when he teleports 2. generally a fic that has the dreaded "Girl falls into fanfic world" plot 3. less commonly BAMF stands for [missing]

C2: Also C-squared or 'Connected Community', a list of stories a user has put together, usually with a similar theme or level of quality.

Citrus: A sexual story; see also Lemon and Lime.

Drabble: Technically a story of exactly 100 words, but often applied to an extremely short story.

FDaRH: Fallen Down a Rabbit Hole; essentially a character appearing suddenly and inexplicably, much like BAMF

Flashfic: A story that is no longer than 500 words.

Lemon: Exact definition missing, but generally a more explicit form of citrus

Lime: Exact definition missing, but generally a less explicit form of citrus

Mary Sue: An extremely unrealistic or unstable character; Google 'Mary Sue Star Trek' for defining fanfic

OC: Original Character

oc: Other character

OOC: Out of Character (also OoC)

OTP: One True Pairing

OT3: One True Threesome

Pairing: Two characters romantically involved.

Portmanteau: A crossing of two character's names that are focused on in a relationship fic. Generally the aggressor of the relationship is put first. Ex: Hermione seducing Severus Snape: Hermape. Snape seducing Ginny: Snapione.

PWP: P*** without plot; usually a pairing oriented one-shot, featuring two characters getting it on with each other without any explanation, build-up or bothering to tell or show the when's, why's, or wherefore's

R&R: read and review

RPF: Real person fic (not allowed at the site)

Sand-Bagging: falsely accusing someone of plagiarism because they are using the same idea someone else has; most ideas are independently conjured by multiple people and usually different enough to not constitute plagiarism

Self-Insert: Original Character that has much in common with the author and is in a way, the author's avatar within the fic. Not always a Mary Sue, but often and easily can be

Shipping: Relationshipping; pairing characters together

Ship sinking: a scene/revelation that destroys any reasonable chance for two characters to get together (betrayal, death, revealed to be siblings, etc.), which results in most fans either dropping the pairing or ignoring that particular piece of canon. A fan who continues to support the pairing after a ship sinking is said to "go down with the ship". Fans may pledge to go down with their ship before a ship sinking happens.

Ship war: A war between two followings of different 'ships, usually sharing one common character, thus the reason for their fighting.

Shonen-ai: Japanese gay pairing; male (non-sexual)

Shoujo-ai: Japanese gay pairing; female (non-sexual)

Slash: Gay pairing, typically malexmale

Snark: making a scathing comment to or about someone

Songfic: A fic about, inspired by, with a theme of or including the lyrics to a song. Note: Those fics including the lyrics violate the TOS.

Squick: Particularly gross pairings *contested* a reaction to particularly gross subjects or plot elements, often pairings

Suefic: A Mary Sue fic

Suethor: A writer of Mary Sue fics

Twincest: Pairing twins (why, I have no idea)

Two-shot: Two chapter fic, not planned to continue

UST: Unresolved Sexual Tension; two characters which like each other but never pair up

Yaoi: Japanese gay pairing; male (sexual)

Yuri: Japanese gay pairing; female (sexual)

WIP: work in progress

Anime slang: post 180

Hard core slang: post 100

Non-writing slang: post 4

Harry Potter Slang: post 164

Shaman King slang: post 46

Star Trek slang: post 53

TvTropes slang: post 275

Edit: B-P have gone missing because apparently Windows now has a problem with the cursor and will randomly highlight crap when you aren't even near the mouse. :@

3/25/2009 . Edited 7/28/2014 #2
shaeldryn

Oh, I feel the need to jump in here, 'cause there's something I always wanted to know: what's with the exclamation mark thingie?

For example:

Dark!Harry

Evil!Aragorn

I mean, it's not too hard figuring out what is meant, but why is it written like this? Or sometimes with an upside down exclamation mark?

3/25/2009 #3
Wildcard999

If it's upside down, I'd assume the person is Spanish or Portuguese. The exclamation mark probably means this is a major revelation to them and meant to be controversial and attract attention, good or bad. Sounds like gimmick writing to me.

Oh yeah, I guess this would be Writing or General, huh?

Edit: Term links lead to discussions on the exact definitions of certain terms.

Non-writing related definitions:

BRB: Be Right Back

IIRC: If I Remember Correctly.

I liek pie: A random sentiment purposely mispelled and meant to communicate less than the obvious; a statement feigning idiocy

IMHO: In My Honest Opinion

LMAO: Laughing My A** Off

LOL: Laugh Out Loud

OFC: Of Course

OT: Off Topic

OMG: Oh My God

PM: Private Message

POV: Point of View; who is narrating

Pwn: Own, but better; to dominate utterly

RL: Real Life; reality

Rofl: Rolling On The Floor Laughing

Sp?: Spelling?; asking for spelling assistance

Spam: Useless posts, usually many in a row, that serve only to clutter a thread, annoy the posters and possibly provoke contraversy or anger

SN: Screen name

tl;dr: Too long; didn't read

TTYL: Talk to you later

TY: Thank you

W**: What the f**

WTH: What the h**

3/25/2009 . Edited 3/16/2011 #4
Wildcard999

Okay, this is the first FFN Slang thread I could find (maybe we should rename it so it's a bit more obvious it's about ALL the terms). Is this the one?

7/1/2009 . Edited 7/20/2009 #5
shaeldryn

Here are some more that I see often:

H/C (Hurt/Comfort): one character is harmed, the other comforts

Fluff: light-hearted romance, many 'feel-good' moments

IC: in character

MPREG: male pregnancy

R&R: read and review

WIP: work in progress

7/1/2009 . Edited 7/1/2009 #6
Wildcard999

Lol, I can't believe I missed those.

7/1/2009 . Edited 7/20/2009 #7
HK-47 Scarlet

This may be me just being picky but I'd like to point this out...since it's something that confuses a lot of people.

Yaoi: Japanese gay pairing; male

Yuri: Japanese gay pairing; female

That's true, but Yaoi is a fic that focuses on the explicit aspect of a MxM relationship, as Yuri is the same, only FxF. Shonen-ai is also MxM, but there's no explicit content; it mainly focuses on the relationship. Shoujo-ai(sp?) is the same only FxF.

I just thought it would be a good idea to point that out, so people don't put Yaoi when they mean Shonen-ai, or Yuri when they mean Shoujo-ai. I know I tend to avoid Yaoi, but go to Shonen-ai, so I think it's important that it's categorized correctly as to not push away potential readers because of a little mistake. ^^

7/1/2009 #8
Wildcard999

Oh, I didn't realize that. Thanks.

*The faces of those tainted by Mary Sues* XD

7/1/2009 #9
HK-47 Scarlet

No problem. Not a lot of people do. Even fans of Shonen-ai instantly brand a show Yaoi, just because it's two men in a relationship. Same thing with Yuri.

Hehe, I couldn't resist. Yu-gi-oh! has the best icons. XD

7/1/2009 #10
United Sauce
so we've revived this old thing eh? If anyone can tell me how to edit the topic title, I'll drop the plot bunny reference. I'm such a forum noob XD
7/1/2009 #11
Wildcard999

Same way you editany other post, except it gives you the option to edit the title at the same time. The edit function basically gives you access to the same screen you had for that specific post, including tthe initial topic post.

7/1/2009 #12
Rhea Silverkeys

At some point when the topic was first posted, I'd already edited the first post. Since ff.net has a rule that a post edited by a mod can then only be edited by mods, I edited it and changed the title. And made the first post a bit more relevant to the revived topic's purpose ;)

7/2/2009 #13
Satine89

ZOMG awesome topic! Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Two character's names portmanteaued together (i.e., Dexdark for Dexter's Lab): a story that focuses on those two characters

(Whichever character is first in the ship is said to be the aggressor/pursuer in the relationship, but this has largely been abandoned, as many 12 year olds don't get the concept.)

Crack fic: a fic where everyone acts insane and high

7/2/2009 #14
Wildcard999

Cool! Much better, thanks Rhea. I kind o forgot about the only-mods-can-edit rule until after I got off last night. Oops.

Suefic: A Mary Sue fic.

Suethor: A writer of Mary Sue fics.

Flame: Scathing review, post or PM that insults an author and possibly the story without any constructive bent. Now largely used to describe Concrit that was unwanted, but that's because some people can't take 'This was great, but there was a problem that can be fixed'.

Concrit: Constructive Criticism.

7/2/2009 #15
Aislynn Crowdaughter

Two character's names portmanteaued together (i.e., Dexdark for Dexter's Lab): a story that focuses on those two characters

True, but it also means that the characters are in a pairing (usually, a slash pairing) together. As in: a romantic or even sexual relationship. I've seen it more in RPF than Fanfic, though. Here are some more I stumbled over:

RPF: Real person fic (not allowed at the site)

Fanfic: short for fanfiction.

Snark: making a scathing comment to or about someone.

BAMF - a fic that has the dreaded "Girl falls into fanfic world" plot. Don't know where the expression comes from, though.

7/4/2009 #16
Wildcard999

'Bamf' may refer to the sound effect of Nightcrawler's (Marvel's X-Men) teleport ability. It may be like '*poof* you're there'.

7/4/2009 #17
The Sleeping Tide

Sand-Bagging-accusing some one falsely of plagiarism becouse they are using the same idea some one else it. ideas get reused all the time and some people have the same ones even if they never even read the other persons story.

7/5/2009 #18
Wildcard999

You know, this could get pretty long. Rhea, might you comb through here and consolidate these terms into the first post every once in a while?

Edit: I'm near the top, so I edited my post to alphabetically include everything except the 'Dexdark' thing since I'm not sure how to enter that into an alphabetical list yet. I'll think on it. Anyway, that ought to help tone down the confusion. I visit this forum often enough that I should be able to keep up. If anyone thinks up a simpler or more accurate way to put something in my list, let me know. After all, that list is for other people's comprehension, not mine. Thanks!

7/6/2009 . Edited 7/6/2009 #19
Satine89

I was using Dexdark as an example of a name portmanteau. I guess you could put it under portmanteau. ?

7/7/2009 #20
Wildcard999

...I don't know about anyone else, but this is the first I've heard of that term. If there was a more common name I could use...?

7/7/2009 #21
Rhea Silverkeys

Rhea, might you comb through here and consolidate these terms into the first post every once in a while?

Edit: I'm near the top, so I edited my post to alphabetically include everything except the 'Dexdark' thing since I'm not sure how to enter that into an alphabetical list yet.

Cool! You're a star. I may just delete all the posts before yours, then, since you include those terms in your post, anyway!

I was using Dexdark as an example of a name portmanteau. I guess you could put it under portmanteau. ?

Yeah, I think 'portmanteau' as a term, and then dexdark as an example of a portmanteau. I don't know the fandom, but for Harry Potter, for instance, an example of a portmanteau would be 'Dramione', indicating a story with Draco and Hermione romance. Satine, if you could mention the names of the two characters in Dexdark...?

7/9/2009 #22
HK-47 Scarlet

Satine, if you could mention the names of the two characters in Dexdark...?

Dexter and Mandark?

7/9/2009 #23
Rameelia

This is a really helpful topic for those who are new to fan fiction slang. I've learnt the hard way, I guess, and now I'm familiar with most of the abbreviations and slang words, though I couldn't figure out what "yaoi" was. Now I know. Thanks to everyone who took the pains to explain!

7/10/2009 #24
Wildcard999

I was actually thinking 'name-splicing' might work since anyone who doesn't have a clue what to call it would probably look under 'name' as a guess anyway.

You are very welcome Ramelia. I remember back when I was new here and people kept putting up these really weird abbriviations. Should we include non-writing stuff like tl;dr and TTYL?

7/10/2009 #25
Satine89

Dexter and Mandark?

Yeah, it's Dexter and Mandark. It's not very popular simply because the Dexter's Lab section is so effing tiny, but it's the most common portmanteau in that section. A more common portmanteau, non fan-fic related, is probably Bradgelina (Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt). Most people know this one, as well as Bennifer (Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner).

7/11/2009 #26
Wildcard999

I thought it was Brangelina? They take the 'a' conveniently shared by both and make the transition there.

7/11/2009 #27
Satine89

I've seen it spelled both ways. I'm not really up on celeb culture...

7/12/2009 #28
Wildcard999

Neither am I. I didn't even know what the hell that was until about three months after I'd started hearing about it. I just don't care about that stuff, you know?

7/13/2009 #29
Rhea Silverkeys

Should we include non-writing stuff like tl;dr and TTYL?

I think sticking to writing stuff would be best. Non-writing abbreviations like that, I think, shouldn't belong in any story, anyway, and if you don't know what ttyl or tbh is, you can Google it. Including non-writing stuff would just clutter up the (in my opinion, anyway) more useful/important writing terms.

7/13/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Ragnelle, LMRaven, Maryilee, cathrl
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member