Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
AbCarter

This thread gives answers to frequently asked questions about accounts on this site. Is your question not answered in this thread, then perhaps it is answered in one of the other FAQ threads. If not, don't hesitate to ask.

Links to other FAQs:

1. The main FAQ for general questions;

2. Questions about stories e.g. questions on how to publish and update stories;

3. Questions about reviews;

4. Questions about Fanfiction.net;

5. Questions about this forum.

11/9/2009 . Edited 1/29/2010 #1
AbCarter

* How do you turn on anonymous reviews?

On your profile page there is a list of account settings. One of these is Anonymous Reviews. Click the Enable button behind it to enable anonymous reviews. Behind Anonymous Reviews it now says (in green) enabled and the name of the button is then toggled to disable.

Anonymous reviews can be deleted by going to the reviews tab. Click the tab and you are show a short list of links. One of these is Remove Reviews. Click this. You are now shown a drop-down menu of all your stories. Select the story you want to remove the review from. The anonymous reviews will show, and next to them there's a "delete"link.

Signed reviews cannot be removed, but there is an petition on this forum to ask the site administrators that allow the deletion of signed reviews too. Petition to delete signed reviews

11/9/2009 #2
AbCarter

* How do you tell how many "hits" a story has gotten?

Go to your login page and click the "Traffic" tab. It gives you a list of thing FFnet gathers statistics on. Hit count can be found under "story traffic" and "story stats".

11/9/2009 #3
AbCarter

* How do you turn alerts on/off

Go to your profile page (on log-in) and click the "Alerts" tab. This will show a window where you can enable or disable all kinds of alerts.

11/9/2009 #4
AbCarter

* How do you remove a story/author from your favorites list?

Go to your log-in page. Click the "favourites" tab. You have a list of favorite authors and a list of favorite stories. Click the appropriate link. It shows a list of the stories/authors and after each name/title there is a remove link.

11/9/2009 #5
AbCarter

* Is there a way to PM other users on this site?

On the author's page there'll be a list of actions, and one of them is 'Send Message'.

11/9/2009 #6
AbCarter

* How do I check private messages?

They should all be sent to your e-mail address, the one you use to sign in to ff.net.

Also, PMs are sent to your FFnet inbox. Log-in and click the tab 'inbox'.

11/9/2009 #7
AbCarter

* How do you block users?

When you log in, there is a short list of links on the "Account" tab. One of them is "Block Users". Click that. On the top of that page is a drop down menu where you can select how to block a member, e.g. by their username or their ID-nummer in a field. Simple enough.

Blocked users can't review you, PM you, or post on your forums. In the list on the "Block Users" page is behind every blocked user also a remove link, so you can always change your mind about someone.

11/9/2009 #8
AbCarter

* How do you center text on your profile page?

There's the simple mode way: To start out with, the simplest way to center text -- just in case you didn't know -- is at the top of the edit box there are two blue arrows (undo & redo) and two little shapes made up of lines. If you let your pointer hover over them they will say "justifycenter" and "justifyleft." Have your cursor somewhere in the text you want to center and click the appropriate symbol. That should do it.

And the html-mode way: actually, there seem to be two html mode ways.

[center]text you want to have centered[/center]

[p align="center"]text you want to have centered[/p]

In both cases use arrows instead of square brackets. I would have used them here but the forum eats them.

11/9/2009 #9
AbCarter

* How do you delete an account?

As far as I know, you can't delete an account. But you can delete all the stories and favorites you have on it and make it completely empty that way.

11/9/2009 #10
Corinne Tate

Under Traffic, what are hits and what are visitors?

4/9/2010 #11
Kitsune no Tora

Visitors is the number of unique ISPs that have accessed your fanfiction and or profile.

Hits are the total number of times your fanfiction or profile has been viewed; it's usually higher because people will sometimes look at something multiple times or the same person will read several different chapters or stories of yours.

4/9/2010 #12
opalfinity

Ok, please bear in mind how silly I feel for asking this question, but....

How do you change your avatar?

I know it's odd since I already have an avatar up... well, I was successful in changing it for months until a week or two ago I went to edit it, and... now for the life of me I can't remember how I've been doing it! I've searched this numerous times on Google and looked throughout this forum, but can't find anything that works... I also looked under every tab in my Account, still nothing. And, for the record, I can't remember how to edit profiles, either. Though trial and error I was recently able to access it by going to http://login.fanfiction.net/account/profile.php but I can't find the actual "Edit Profile" button anywhere.

Any help is appreciated...!

7/15/2010 #13
Kitsune no Tora

It's under the Account tab. XD

You edit your profile under the Profile section of the Account tab and change your avatar in the Avatar section. Just hover over the tab and the links will show up.

7/16/2010 #14
opalfinity

Okay, under the Account tab, ALL I see is a table with "Profile URL", "Userid", "Pen Name", "Email", "Password", "Home Page", "Display Email", "Display Location", "Private Messaging (PM)", "Anonymous Reviews", and "Profanity Filter". There are no "Profile" or "Avatar" sections... I even used Ctrl+F to find the word "avatar" on the page and it doesn't show up anywhere. I've clicked every link on the page and nothing gives me profile/icon settings... I'm lost. o_O

Now I'm convinced somethings wrong, because like I said earlier, I've had no problem editing these things for MONTHS and a few weeks ago I suddenly have no idea where to do it...

7/16/2010 #15
Kitsune no Tora

Oh, it's supposed to come up when you hover over the tab... it's not on the page itself.

Maybe your flash player is messed up? I'm pretty sure it requires flash for the tabs to work properly. Maybe you should check out the site on a different computer and see if when you hover over the tabs anything pops up. The page should change when you do.

In the meantime...

That link you posted for your profile /should/ work, the window that shows up should look like the Document manager when you have a document open. Just edit it as you please and at the bottom should be an "Update Profile" button that should save your changes.

http://login.fanfiction.net/account/pic.php You can hopefully use that to change your avatar.

7/16/2010 #16
opalfinity

Yeah, nothing when I hover... you know, the flash is probably it, since I see no other reason as to why I don't see it. I will try to update my flash (and find out why it screwed up in the first place!!?) and continue to use the URLs. The one you gave me is working just fine.

Thank you for your help and patience!! I will remember this forum in the future.

7/16/2010 #17
Kylie Max

Is there anyway to delete a PM once you've sent it on accident?

7/22/2010 #18
Kitsune no Tora

Nope. A PM is like an email--once you send it, it's sent.

You could send them another with an apology for the error, though.

7/22/2010 #19
Kylie Max

Poo. Thanks though. :)

7/22/2010 #20
Kylie Max

What happens if you press the button "report author"? Do they get banned? What about "Report abuse"?

7/23/2010 . Edited 7/23/2010 #21
pyrrhicvictoly

If you report an author, they don't get banned immediately. The site admins will look into it, and maybe it'll result in a ban. They're really slow, though. (I've actually never seen a "report author" button. Where is that, anyway?)

When you report abuse on a story, there's a chance that the story will be removed. A window will pop up and you'll have to describe why the story breaks the TOS/guidelines. There's also a report abuse option for reviews in case you get a spam review or a flame.

7/23/2010 #22
Kylie Max

Sorry, I ment "ban user" can some one really use that button and they'll be banned just like that?

7/23/2010 #23
pyrrhicvictoly

Whoa. I'm not familiar with a "ban user" button either, wherever that is... But even if there's something like that, there's no way that would happen. Users can't ban other users from the site for no reason. The most you can do is contact support to report the abuse, and they'll get around to it eventually.

Do you mean "block user"? You can use that to stop people from sending you PMs and posting on your forums.

Edit: Do you mean the "ban user" thing on the forums? Like when you go to edit your posts? That's all I can think of... But no, that doesn't ban them unless you're a forum mod. Regular users like us wouldn't be able to do anything if we clicked it. And if you *are* banned, it's just from that one forum. You can still use the site.

7/23/2010 . Edited 7/23/2010 #24
dannielovessora

Can you delete all of your favorite stories? If you can, then how can they all be deleted? My favorites for stories has overflowed and i want to delete all of the stories to add ones i really enjoy.

7/28/2010 #25
Kitsune no Tora

On the Favorites Tab in your login page there's a section for your favorite stories. You can remove them from there. On the far right of the story title there's a 'remove' button.

Although I'm pretty sure there's no way to just mass delete them all, you'd have to do it one by one.

And yes, the 'ban user' button on forums can only be used by mods/the admin. The 'block user' button works in a similar way but is more thorough--while the 'ban user' button only bans them from the forum (I believe) the 'block user' button blocks them from everything having to do with your account, meaning if you're the admin of a forum they won't be able to access your forum either.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works...

7/28/2010 #26
AgentInvaderMinionofDoom

If you delete a story from your favorite stories list, does the author know? Like do they get an email or something?

8/6/2010 #27
dannielovessora

No, I don't think so. When i delete some of my favorites I don't think the author gets anything. When people delete some of my favorites i get nothing back. So possibly no.

8/6/2010 #28
AgentInvaderMinionofDoom

Oh. I was just wondering becuase I wanted to try to shorten my favorites list, but I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. XP Almost every story I read, I added to my favorites. I don't add too many now, though. XP

~Kat

8/6/2010 #29
AgentInvaderMinionofDoom

I have another question. Can you disable getting emails whenever you receive a PM?

8/11/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member