Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »
Kermit Kills

No, I don't think so. However, you can just block emails from FanFiction.net through your email if you don't want PM's there. I did. Only thing is, do that and you get no forum alerts also, so I gotta check for those manually.

Edit: Under the Account tab, there is a section to disable/enable PM's. If you don't want to get them at all, then use that.

8/11/2010 . Edited 8/11/2010 #31
The Fan of Many Things

i would like to say how frustrating it is with this "Disable private message feature" a user called Chokoryuukishi wants my help and he has sent me a message asking for a proofread and he will think i'm ignoring him if I can not contact him, can you help by removing the disable priveate message feature

8/18/2010 #32
AbCarter

Let's take a step back here. You have received a private message from another user and can't send one back because he has private messages disabled? At least that's what I'm reading in your post.

If I'm wrong, and you want to disable the private message feature for your own account, then follow the instructions King of Terror gave: on log in, click the disable private messages button.

If I'm right, and Chokoryuukishi is the one that has PMs disable then though luck for him. You can't contact him if he has PMs disabled. Only he can enable PMs on his account. You can't do that for him (that would be nice: users try to protect themselves from message and other people can just break open their inbox). It's not your fault you can't contact Choko; it's his fault. It's very rude of him to ask for your help and then not give you the opportunity to actually reply to him.

8/18/2010 #33
The Fan of Many Things

Thanks sorry to bother you

8/18/2010 #34
AbCarter

Don't feel bad about asking a question. That's what this FAQ is for, for people to ask questions and for others to answer them.

8/18/2010 #35
Kermit Kills

Question: Is it possible to have more then one account with the same password or no? Like, will it do the whole, "this password is already in use" thing?

8/18/2010 #36
Kitsune no Tora

Yes. Passwords do not need to be original like your penname has to be, because it isn't something that people would use to identify your account.

8/18/2010 #37
Kermit Kills

Question: I have way to many messages in my PM Inbox. I was just wondering, how many messages will it hold? I want to know so I know if I should go and delete some.

8/24/2010 #38
s. du jour

Well at the moment, I have 318 altogether in my inbox and outbox. I wouldn't worry too much about it until they bring in a better method for deleting them. Right now it's really sucky.

9/9/2010 . Edited 9/9/2010 #39
Erik's0Phan

Question: I was wondering if it was possible/could be made possible for an author to delete themselves off of other people's alert lists and stuff?

9/17/2010 #40
Kitsune no Tora

There isn't a way to do it directly, what they fave and alert is their own business. You can't edit another person's favorites or alerts list.

You could block the user, but that would also cut off any communication between the two of you. Then again, if you don't want them to get alerts for your work, I can't see your relationship being that good in the first place. XD

May I ask why you wish to remove yourself from someone else's alert list? I'm curious. ^^;

9/17/2010 #41
Erik's0Phan

It's the usual, clique story really - 'friend' found my fanfiction account, I begged her not to read my stories but went against everything I said and read them all anyway, we fell out (not because she found my account, she's just really not a nice person!) now we hate each other and I really don't want her to get updates on my stories!

9/19/2010 #42
AbCarter

Surprised that she hasn't removed your stories/you from her alerts list herself. Anyway, if you block a user they can't PM you, can't review your stories and won't get alerts if you update.

9/19/2010 #43
Erik's0Phan

I'm surprised about too actually, aha!

Oh, so if you block someone it stops them from getting emails saying you've updated? I thought it just stopped them from PMing you and reviewing? That's good then, I can live with that :)

9/19/2010 #44
Rhea Silverkeys

Surprised that she hasn't removed your stories/you from her alerts list herself.

Eh, you'd be surprised. Some people who really hate someone else will either: a) not want anything to do with them/know what they are up to; and b) scour their Facebook profiles etc. and religiously check their updates so they'll know what they're up to and can then comment on whatever they're doing. (The latter having happened to my friend.)

That person may still check your profile regularly, though, even if they don't get author alerts?

9/19/2010 . Edited 9/19/2010 #45
Erik's0Phan

Err, yeah. This girl is definitely in the B area...

But it's okay, I think. I'm having a bit of a fanfiction make-over and changing names etc. :)

9/19/2010 #46
Sadness-doll
cant you send PM to everybody in the site telling about your story on Fanfiction? If you cant, you they can't report you, because you include links pointing to FanFiction.net
9/21/2010 #47
Kitsune no Tora

You techincally could, but links of any kind (or emails for that matter) don't make it through the PM system's filters. You have to trick the system to let links and things like that through by making it think they're normal text.

Although I would GREATLY ADVISE to NEVER do something like that. For one, no one honestly cares that much. There are thousands upon thousands of fanfictions in thousands of categories for us to read, what makes yours so special to as deserve a private message to everyone on the site? Two, related to number one, no one will appreciate getting one. Advertisement like that will only get you flamed, quite honestly.

Three, there's a little thing called spam, and it's against the site rules. It is a ban-able offense, I do believe.

You have to get readers the hard way--by writing good stories, having a good update schedule, and just sheer dumb luck.

9/21/2010 #48
Sadness-doll

Thanks, I just asking because one of my friend is doind that.

9/21/2010 #49
Kitsune no Tora

Jeez. D: I understand wanting more readers and thus more reviewers, but I never thought of spamming my fellow writers with advertisements. I'd tell your friend they should stop. Chances are the repercussions are going to be more extreme than the rewards are worth.

9/21/2010 #50
Erik's0Phan

Hi, it's me again :)

I was wondering what happens when you report someone? Also what do they have to do wrong for them to get reported?

9/24/2010 #51
Kitsune no Tora

To get reported, all they have to do is break one of the rules in the TOS or Guidelines and get caught for it by someone willing to report them for it.

When you report someone, supposedly it goes to the site mods for their review. Depending on what you reported them for, they'd take the next appropriate action, after investigating the problem.

So if you reported one of their stories, it might get taken off the site.

If you report them, they might get suspended or banned from the site.

Of course, a lot of the time it seems the reports go into some big black hole never to be reviewed by the mods, so you might have to report them a couple of times before it'll gain their attention...

9/24/2010 #52
Erik's0Phan

Okay, thank you, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Reporting someone has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Would the person been reported know who reported them or would they just be told that they're banned/they're stories been taken off the site?

9/24/2010 #53
AbCarter

I don't think authors are told.

I know of one instance were a story was deleted: the author in question vented about it on her LJ. I had seen her story before it got deleted, and I know she broke several rules. One of the rules she broke was putting explicit sex in a T-rated story. She had fixed that offence by the time I saw the story (there were complaints in the reviews) by deleting the sex scenes and upping the rating, but she still had bad grammar and a story in script format.

I think the story was deleted for the explicit sex in a T-rated story (I've heard of other stories that were deleted because they had sex in them). So, I'm not too sure FFnet actually investigates a report before taking action. I also think they only act on reports of "content above current rating".

9/24/2010 #54
Sadness-doll
I have a question? One of my friend told me that she tried to find her story in fanfiction search and she never fin the story. The only way she can fin her story is with the name. She dont understant why she can find with no problem other story in the search area. in Find story she put the name of her favorite Character, the same one that she have in her story, all the story appears in the page, except her story.
9/28/2010 #55
Wildcard999

FFN glitch. This actually happens quite a bit, so don't worry. People couldn't find my account in the author search. Just have your friend send a message to admin via the help link in the top right corner of the webpage. It should get fixed pretty quick.

9/28/2010 #56
Kitsune no Tora

Huh, wait a minute. You said that if she searched the name of her story, it comes up, but if she ran the search using a character it didn't?

It COULD be a site glitch, but it could also be two other problems I can think of: Is her story recently published? It takes up to 6 hours for a story to be available through all means of finding it on the site. Also, when she searched for her story via a character, her story won't show up unless she's selected that character as being in the story when she uploaded it and picked the genre/rating/etc. That's easily changed, though.

If she did select the character and it has been more than a few hours, then yeah, it's probably a site glitch. Send a message to the support email and ask for it to be fixed.

9/28/2010 #57
AbCarter

Uh, I think I'm understanding this question different than the others, but with FFnet's search function you can only search for words that are in the title or in the summary of the story. If the name of the character is neither in the summary or the title of the story she will not be able to find the story by searching for the character.

That's not a glitch. That's just they way the search function of this site works.

9/29/2010 #58
Kitsune no Tora

Ah.

I never use the search function, actually. So I assumed since they mentioned "searching by character name" that you could actually do that.

Although maybe they actually meant filtering by character? You can do that. I dunno. XD

9/29/2010 #59
BlossomingStarsAtHeaven

Can you have more than one account in one e-mail address?

9/30/2010 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Monotonehell, Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member