Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
AbCarter

This thread gives answers to frequently asked questions about Fanfiction.net. Is your question not answered in this thread, then perhaps it is answered in one of the other FAQ threads. If not, don't hesitate to ask.

Links to other FAQs:

1. The main FAQ for general questions;

2. Questions about stories e.g. questions on how to publish and update stories;

3. Questions about reviews;

4. Questions about accounts;

5. Questions about this forum.

11/9/2009 . Edited 1/29/2010 #1
AbCarter

* How do you request a new category?

You can send FFnet an e-mail with the request: categories(at)fanfiction(dot)com. (Replace (at) with @, and (dot) with . because FFnet is even being stupid about posting links to their own e-mail adresses).

Alternatively, put your fic in the miscellaneous section, e.g. Misc. TV Shows. It's in the category list alphabetically.

* What are the chances that a requested category would be put on the site, and why do some not make it on to the site?

I don't think any of us can really answer that, unfortunately. If the admins are active, there's a good chance requested categories will be added.

11/9/2009 . Edited 1/29/2010 #2
AbCarter

GUIDELINE QUESTIONS

* My story is against the guidelines. Should I still post it here?

No. People tend to get annoyed about people who break the rules, and the Internet is big enough to post it elsewhere. For instance, original fiction can be posted on fictionpress.com.

* I was wondering what they meant by: 'Chat/script format and keyboard dialogue based entries.' not being allowed? I'm asking because I had an idea to do a story where it revolved around the characters meeting in a chatroom so I was wondering if that would be against the rules?

Quite literally it means that writing out a chat session of your characters is not allowed. Though, some people on this forum think it would be acceptable if the chat session was only a small part of the story. In any case: it's against the guidelines of this site, so proceed at your own risk.

To clarify, it's the format that's not allowed, not the setting. That means that you could write that your characters are sitting down for a chat session, but you can't make it look like an actual chat session. That has to be more narrative to the scene than just the names/on-line handles of the characters.

11/9/2009 . Edited 1/29/2010 #3
AbCarter

* Is there a FAQ?

There used to be one; there may be one again in the future. Ours is much better.

11/9/2009 #4
AbCarter

* Is there any way to contact the admins of FFnet?

There seems to be: support(at)fanfiction(dot)com. The quick way to send them a message is clicking the support/help link on the top right of the screen. But they are not known for answering their e-mails quickly or at all.

11/9/2009 #5
AbCarter

* What is a C2?

A C2 is a collection of stories around a certain theme (I have a C2 where I collect stories that are in present tense and first person), or often just an extention of someone's favorites list. Basically, you can put in it what ever you want, with the exception that if you have assigned your C2 to a certain category, you can only put stories from that category in it.

You can however also invite other people to add stories to your C2. Those then become staff. Subscribers get a PM when a new story is added.

You can have only one C2, but you can be staff to more than one.

11/9/2009 #6
Corinne Tate

Well, I'm not sure if this goes here or not, especially since it seems so inactive. I've read over the site rules and agreed to them, but one of my reviewers tells me that I need to post a disclaimer on my stories so I don't bring down the wrath of the writer/publisher gods onto myself or the site. Is this true, and why is it when there's no money being made by ANYONE involved? Seems to me if I'm posting on a fan site it's a given that I'm not the creator. There doesn't seem to be an official disclaimer form, so could it be legally binding even if I write one?

3/27/2010 #7
cathrl

There's nothing you can possibly write that's legally binding. Copyright violation is always illegal. If an author or publisher wants to sue you or the site for the action of writing fanfic, whether you have a disclaimer up won't make the slightest bit of difference.

However, most authors turn a blind eye at least partly because fanfic writers are up front that this is fanfic and they are writing it because they love the original, which isn't theirs. Posting on a site like this pretty much says that. However, it's often considered polite (more so in some fandoms than others) to say it up front as well. Not in a legal way, more in an "I love this great fandom and the chance to write stories in it, and I know it isn't mine" way.

It can't hurt.

3/28/2010 #8
Corinne Tate

Okay one more. I know it says that the rating only goes to T, but I have seen many rated M and deservedly so though I have to set the rating to look for them. How does it work since I've seen some that have been taken down citing rules violations. And I've seen some graphic ones still up? I'm writing a story that could go either way and I want to know if I should bother writing it for adults or keep it T.

4/9/2010 #9
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Well best is to write it the way you want it to be. I wouldn´t bend the story. Next thing is: be honest about the ratings, I know some people rate M fics with T just to have them pop up in the unfiltered section, which causes their removal.

If you want to write something above M there are ways to get the on the internet: you can use google and type in as the search thing "adult fanfiction.net" to go to that site. There you have to confirm your age and stuff and then you can use it. And there are other sites that allow fics that are higher than M.

4/9/2010 #10
Mottsnave

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this question, as I'm new, but here goes. I'm getting ready to post my first fic, and I'm not sure what rating level to use based on strong language alone. There's no sex or very graphic violence, but, well, the f-bomb may be dropped occasionally. Would that make a story M? Or T, since all the teens I know use the word with abandon?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me!

7/11/2010 #11
Corinne Tate

From what you described the rating could go either way. I've read that language should make it an M, but I've seen the F bomb dropped so much on here I've almost....okay, not quite, gotten used to it. Even without sex you might just consider who your story is written for or about. When I read an M rated story I'm looking for a certain amount of adult content, even if it's not sex. I don't expect to read about high school age kids, and I don't expect to read a lot of 'fade to black' content. M rated stories shouldn't flinch when it comes to telling it like it is. I also expect M rated stories to be written by adults! Teens can write angst, sex, and violence, and drop the most shocking language; but I haven't seen many under 18 who can write the level of maturity and reality that comes from experience.

If you make it T rated I would encourage you to rethink some (not necessarily all) of your f-bombs. I always consider who's saying it and why, then ask myself if there's any other word that would work just as well. Just because everyone says it doesn't mean your character has to follow that pattern. I have two teenagers who do NOT use that word, and would risk losing teeth if they used it the way I've heard others throw it around. Too many kids are raised watching HBO and think foul language is acceptable - in my book it isn't! Still I've read many stories liberally peppered with it, and sometimes it's just who the character IS, and lends a certain reality to them.

Lastly, I would consider your audience. Who do you want to read your stories; anyone on the site, or just adults (yeah right; I've seen MANY kids reading M rated stories) who are looking for adult content? If you go for the T, you might want to warn your readers about the language up front. It might save you some ugly reviews. If you rate it M you might warn them up front that there's no sex. It might save you some ugly reviews.

7/11/2010 #12
Kitsune no Tora

I'd say it depends greatly on how many F-bombs you drop. If it's one or two, rate it T. No one's going to have a heart attack from just a few. If it's consistently said by your characters, rate it M.

7/11/2010 #13
Vossago

the f-bomb may be dropped occasionally.

If it's only occasionally, and there's little sex or violence, I'd rate it T. How many times is it used on average for a chapter? If you've got a character or two who might say it every once in a while, but not "with abandon" as you've noticed most people use it, I'd say it's fine.

7/12/2010 #14
Mottsnave

Thanks to everyone for replying, it's helped me get a much better idea how to rate the story.

I think I fall into the T category really, since the word only crops up occasionally, maybe once every 3 chapters or so, and I think it is warranted by the characters and situations. I'll definitely put a strong language warning on it though!

Thanks again!

7/12/2010 #15
Jacob Lupo

in one my stories i am likely going to have a same sex pairing introduced however there will be no sex involved between the two teenage characters. Is it okay if i keep the T rating for my story or do i need to change it to M?

7/14/2010 #16
The Lauderdale

Try this mental experiment. If they were in a heterosexual relationship, would the story be an M? If not, put it at a T. Heck, put it at a K or K+ if it is innocent enough.

[has an extreme dislike for double standards]

7/14/2010 #17
Jacob Lupo

thanks. I agree i hate double standards as well. Isn't M usually reserved for graphic scences anyway? The story has some violence in it which is why it is a T rating currently. The paring in my story is between two male characters. I appricate your help.

7/14/2010 #18
The Lauderdale

Depends. I could also rate M depending on language (such as profanity, and I mean fairly extreme profanity, not just a few d@mns or a single lonely f**k) or depending on how extreme the violence is.

Another experiment you can do is imagine that someone else wrote this story and what you would think of its rating.

7/14/2010 #19
PikaYoshiGirl

I'm sorry if this sounds out of place, but how do you make a link?

I thought this would be in the right thread because it has to do with FFN's forums.

7/25/2010 . Edited 7/25/2010 #20
pyrrhicvictoly

There's a button to the right of the styles drop-down menu. The picture is of some chain links (?), and if you hover over it, you'll see "Insert/edit link". Highlight the text you want to use as a link and then click on that. You'll get a pop-up window where you can put in the address.

7/25/2010 #21
PikaYoshiGirl

I try that, but everytime I post, the link never shows up.

7/26/2010 #22
Kitsune no Tora

What are you trying to link?

FFN only allows direct links to Youtube and itself.

7/26/2010 #23
PikaYoshiGirl

Oh, that makes sense! I kept linking to my pictures from DeviantArt. I forgot to read the fine print below the post.

Thanks for clearing that up! xD

7/26/2010 #24
Kitsune no Tora

No problem. XD

7/26/2010 #25
exclusiverob

Hi, I have read about 200 fanfiction stories in the past two years. I normally print each story than read on my patio or in the evening in bed. I have been thinking about buying a "Kindle" which would be much easier to handle and MUCH cheaper than printing each story. My computer is not a lap top.

Could you tell me if the Twilight stories (Bella and Edward) are available to download to a "Kindle" to read. It would sure make my life easier. I am so addicted to fanfiction stories from the Twilight series I cannot stop reading them.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

8/6/2010 #26
obi-glasses

Nope- Kindles only download stories from Amazon.com. I'd suggest getting a phone that can go online, then read stories using the mobile edition of ffnet.

8/6/2010 #27
tashachan28

Well, not a Kindle, because it's extremely finicky about file formats, but if you have a Nook or a Sony E-Reader, then you can save the story as a .PDF, .TXT, or .RTF, depending of which one you have. With MS Word you can save as those types of files.

I hope this helps.

8/6/2010 #28
Vossago

I usually prefer to read stories on my iPod touch (although typing out good reviews is a hassle with the keyboard). If you have one of those, and the free Opera web browser app, it lets you save pages to look at later whether or not you have an internet connection.

8/6/2010 #29
Clozzie

Me and my friend wrote a story ! and we want to put it on fan fiction! But its not in any of the category ! Its just a srory about random people , there not from a book or anything ! So it would be great if there was a category for that called others or something ! PLEASE !?

10/2/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys CrystalRei, Ragnelle, LMRaven, Maryilee, cathrl
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member