Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 .. Last Next »
Kitsune no Tora

It actually depends on what's in the link if it'll be broken one you change the title. If the title of the fix is in the linkyou used, then it will probably break it, but if it's just with the story URL, then it won't.

4/11/2012 #181
FMAnderson

I changed it and added a new chapter. Is the new title any better?

4/13/2012 #182
Hippothestrowl

Looks fine to me - though I don't know the genre. But If resurrection is an important theme in it I'd recommend putting that keyword in the summary if that's something that readers might search for. Strangely, if I search for Lonely White Walker without quotes, yours is the only one it finds for all genres and including summaries. I'd have expected it to find lots of stories with Lonely, White, and Walker as separate keywords. Oh well, it's early and I've not woken up yet. Maybe it doesn't work like that.

[EDIT - no, I just tried Lonely and White together on their own and it found stories with Lonely and other stories with White so I don't know what's going on with the search for the full title - but it's in your favour so no worries. :) ]

4/13/2012 . Edited 4/13/2012 #183
TabbyCat33098

Hi! :) Um, I didn't know how to post a response to the thread without referencing someone else's, so @hippothestrowl, I'm really sorry, but I'm not actually responding to your post. I also don't know if maybe I'm not supposed to be able to post in the thread....? So I'm also sorry if I'm breaking some kind of rule or something. And a final apology, I don't know if this is even the right place for these questions.... So yeah, if it isn't glaringly obvious, I'm a total noob at this and totally apologize for anything I may be doing wrong.....

I have a couple of questions that have been bugging me for a while now, and i couldn't find any answers to them. I'm hoping you can answer them here.

1. What exactly is the profanity filter? 2. What are the requirements and/or recommendations to become a Beta?

Thanks in advance for any answers. :)

4/28/2012 #184
Hippothestrowl

No worries - this is a mixed thread for general questions about fanfiction.

The profanity filter displays asterisks for swear words in forums. I don't think it affects stories though which are 'protected' by ratings so if readers choose to read the more mature ratings they can expect to see profanity.

Anyone can informally beta read but to be a registered beta reader you must...

.Be a registered member for at least 1 month or more.

.Have published at least 5 stories on the site OR have published entries totaling at least 6000 words.

.Must accurately complete both the Profile and Preferences part of the beta section on your sign in page.

4/29/2012 #185
The Lauderdale

The profanity filter displays asterisks for swear words in forums. I don't think it affects stories though which are 'protected' by ratings so if readers choose to read the more mature ratings they can expect to see profanity.

Yes indeed. I've used the full gamut of Lenny Bruce's Nine Dirty Words (two longer than George Carlin's.) In the same fic, no less, and they are all visible. FFN doesn't filter profanity in stories, just on forums. And I believe in reviews and PMs, but feel to correct me on that. I know they strip out URLs, which the forums don't currently, though they don't allow active links to anything but FFN and youtube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

4/29/2012 . Edited 4/29/2012 #186
TabbyCat33098

Thanks so much. :) What are the responsibilities of being a beta? I'm somewhat interested, but I don't know if I'm qualified enough.

4/30/2012 #187
realbullet
I have been trying to sign up for Fictionpress.com for several weeks, and it is not working. Is something wrong there?
4/30/2012 #188
Hippothestrowl

TabbyCat33098: What are the responsibilities of being a beta? I'm somewhat interested, but I don't know if I'm qualified enough.

Big question and maybe wait for other opinions. My view is it can work on different levels. Different writers may look for different feedback - some just want checks for grammatical errors, spelling and typos, etc. while others might want feedback on style, pacing, story flow, dull areas, recommendations, all sorts of things - or just an opinion before they publish.

Anyone who is reasonably competent in their language can provide some help even they are no more knowledgeable the original author. They can spot typos and errors that the author missed simply because it is a second check and also two heads are better than one. Likewise they can give an opinion about story interest, weak areas, etc. - kind of detailed review. I guess some writers might mutually beta read each others stories.

Of course, the perfect beta reader would be a professional with an english degree and 50 years experience!

4/30/2012 #189
Hippothestrowl

realbullet: I have been trying to sign up for Fictionpress.com for several weeks, and it is not working. Is something wrong there?

Don't know. Some things you can try.

. Check you have scripting and popups enabled.

. Check you web browser is not identifying itself as some other browser.

. Try another web browser.

. If the problem is you are not receiving an activating email then check your spam folder and check the email address is correctly typed.

4/30/2012 #190
TabbyCat33098

@Hippothestrowl Thanks so much! I went ahead and filled out the Beta part of my profile.... But I've hit another snag. When I go to view it, between the paragraphs is something like this: /br br br /br br /br It's making me a little mad, because I feel like it's killing my credibility. Do you know how to fix this issue?

5/9/2012 #191
Hippothestrowl

I've just done a quick test and I see the same problem. I can't think of a way round at the moment. Looks like another bug in the system. You might prefer to disable your profile in the status box at the top while you think about it so it doesn't show if you don't want people to see it. Hopefully someone will have an answer. If I think of something I'll post it.

5/9/2012 #192
Mrsbonnieful

This is a different question. Is everyone being required to sign in with typing for of those crazy coded letters? Or am I just special? It is so annoying. I also noticed their warning. Any idea what's going on?

5/14/2012 #193
tashachan28

Yeah, they changed the logic so everyone has to do a captcha before logging in, so they can hopefully cut down on spam.

5/14/2012 #194
The Lauderdale

However, it will now allow you to log in for seven days at a time, instead of capping out at three.

5/14/2012 #195
MonMonCandie

Hi! This is actually my first post in this forum, though I have been here once or twice. not sure if my questions in the right place, but I thought I'd try. xD

So FFNet's been going through some upgrades and all that jazz, but I was wondering if the people running the site are taking liberties as to what typing characters are allowed to show up on a profile/story/etc. For example on my profile: instead of using dash lines as bullets, I've been using the plus sign because I thought it looked nicer on my page. Almost 75% of what I wrote on my profile were in point form. Why? I honestly don't know, but I liked it. LOL XD Now, my problem is that my 'plus sign bullets' don't show up on my page anymore.I thought they were accidentally removed because of what the site staff were doing so I plug them in again on the edit page and save, but they just keep disappearing. I tried using other characters that could act as bullets, but they too keep disappearing. Heck, even the tilda (for people who don't know what that is, it's the wavy looking dash) doesn't even show on my profile anymore when it used to! It's a little frustrating that FFNet keeps changing what kind of typing characters are allowed, but I understand that it's probably to decrease the amount of spam or something?

Anyways, I just wish they could post a list or something for what can or cannot show up on a profile. Would anyone happen to know what kinds of typing characters can (or cannot) show up on a profile? I know for sure that plus sign, tildas, and the greater than/less than signs don't show up anymore. Also, is anyone having problems actually centering anything on their profiles? Like, it shows up in the editable window, but on the actually profile, what I centered isn't centered at all.

Guh, I rambled... Sorry guys, but thanks for any help. :3

5/15/2012 #196
Hamaru Namikaze

Also, is anyone having problems actually centering anything on their profiles? Like, it shows up in the editable window, but on the actually profile, what I centered isn't centered at all.

I have the same problem with my profile. I noticed that the centering feature in the profiles stopped working when the site admins disabled external links in the profiles a while back. I guess they also disabled the centering feature for some reason.

5/15/2012 . Edited 5/15/2012 #197
Hippothestrowl

It's a general problem that the admin of this website are massively restrictive and not user-motivated (which basically means they don't care about people.)

No characters are safe at all in stories, profiles, or forum posts, etc. EXCEPT a to z, 0 to 9, and simple punctuation: . , ; ! ?" There are others that work but no guarantee that admin won't just rip them out tomorrow without explanation or apology so what's the point in using them?

As the screws tighten we can expect things to get worse not better so best to restrict yourself now to avoid disappointment tomorrow. :(

Sorry to sound so cynical but the above is the reality. If admin improve then I'll be the first to praise them.

5/16/2012 #198
MonMonCandie

@ Hamaru Namikaze: It's kinda weird that they disabled centering since it has almost nothing to do with eternal linking (maybe?). Though in actuality, I've seen other profiles and the centering works just fine. I doubt it's my computer/browser that's creating the problem since I log into FFNet to just about any computer I can get on when I feel like it. *shrug* Oh well; I don't overly use center alignment, but it would be nice to know that all the options on the toolbar actually work (sans hyperlinking). Least I know I'm not the only one with the problem though.

@ Hippothestrowl: No worries, though in all honesty, you sound like my best friend saying that. LOL I get that there really isn't a point in 'prettying up' your profile page when really, you're here for the stories, but I'm just a little OCD when it comes to things that I can edit and stuff like that. XD I dunno, I guess I just find my profile page a little plain if I just use dash lines for bullets. Guess I'll have to be creative with what's allowed then. ;P RIP plus sign bullets. You'll be missed.

Thanks for the help!

5/16/2012 #199
Mrsbonnieful

I see the site in encouraging us to accept anonymous reviews. I was wondering if others were doing this and is it really going to be safe as they said.

5/21/2012 #200
Hippothestrowl

I do and I've had no problems whatsoever. You can always change back if any problem develop.

5/21/2012 #201
ForeverTreasure

Hey, I've just joined and have put up the first chapter of my first fanfiction and i've got a couple of questions.

I was wondering how do you name chapters and does the option to do that only come up when I post the second chapter?

Also, I've edited the first chapter and for some reason the changes haven't been made and I wasn't sure if that's because I was doing it wrong or you have to wait a certain amount of time for them to change or something?

5/21/2012 #202
Hippothestrowl

Yes, you can rename chapters anytime. Manage Stories - Click Story name - Content/Chapters - Edit column then you can edit the chapter name there on the left.

Some people report a delay before changes appear but I usually see mine immediately. Make sure you didn't just edit the document in Document Manager - that is only the original document and not the published chapter. So if that's all you did you also need to use the Replace Chapter feature in the Manage Stories section. It's at the bottom of the Content/Chapters tab pag below the Add Chapter feature.

If you've replaced the chapter then check the Live Preview on that page - if that's OK but it still doesn't show in the published version then yes, there must be a delay so check every hour or so.

5/21/2012 #203
ForeverTreasure

Thanks, this helped a lot

5/21/2012 #204
June Sujare

I'm curious, how accurate is the word count in the Doc Manager? I uploaded a chapter, then pasted it into a random word count tool online to determine if I should break it into 2 chapters and the word counts are different. Not by a few words, by 300 or 400 hundred in one case (chapter is either 2800ish words or 3200ish). I pasted it into different word count tools and they are all different, but they all come up lower than what this site tells me is the word count. Is there an explanation for the discrepancy? It is consistently higher on this site no matter what length the passage is, and the gap grows larger the longer the passage.

5/28/2012 #205
RisingEmber

Not sure how accurate but I know that it counts a / as 2 words since I copy and paste onto the site instead of uploading each new chapter. I have one document blank right now and just put a / as a place marker and it says that I have 2 words saved. LOL!! Plus when I save chapters and change the letter count by editing a word's spelling I can be told that I have a different word count though I still have the same number of words itself. So I'm not sure how they figure out the exact count. Still, the generalized count helps you keep track of your average progress as you write.

5/28/2012 #206
Kitsune no Tora

Every word processor counts words differently, depending on what they're programmed to recognize as a word. For example, I can explain FFN counting a "/" as two words. A "word" is any string of letters or characters separated by spaces. It's possible that for any instance where two words are combined with a "/" (for example: "and/or"), it's programmed to recognize that as two words because it IS two words, combined by a forward slash, where another would count it as one word since the two words aren't separated by spaces. So for every instance of a "/", FFN counts the word plus one more to account for it being a combination of two, regardless of whether or not there's any words around it.

So what you're seeing is normal. If you want a best guess at an accurate word count, you could take the average between several different processors, I suppose.

5/28/2012 . Edited 5/28/2012 #207
Hippothestrowl

Document Manager counts the html tags as words. If you go into Doc Man and find a doc you've finished with, Ctrl A to select all then delete then type Test then save it says at the top 3 words. It's adding roughly 2 words for each paragraph plus probably 2 for each italic and bold block and other odds and ends like centering.

5/28/2012 #208
June Sujare

Ooooh, that makes sense. Thanks.

5/28/2012 #209
RisingEmber

Every word processor counts words differently, depending on what they're programmed to recognize as a word. For example, I can explain FFN counting a "/" as two words. A "word" is any string of letters or characters separated by spaces.Nope, the ONLY thing saved in that document is a /. I don't always write from my home computer so I have a couple of empty documents saved so that when I am at work and type in my e-mail I can C&P when I'm ready since I'm not allowed to use the writing tools on my work computer for non-work writing. Thus, the empty documents where the only thing that I typed was a / so I have a place for later. Still the / is considered as two words by FF. This is also true if I only type one letter instead of a / since before I got bored with it my last system was to put one letter of the alphabet in each document such as A, B, C.... to represent each new chapter. That was how I kept enough open for a few chapters. Still, C is considered two words. Oh well, it's not a big deal. It's not like it really matters over-all.

5/28/2012 . Edited 5/29/2012 #210
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member