Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
AbCarter

This thread was originally started by Sophophobic (and a big thank you for that) for asking all kinds of questions. Well, the thread proved to be successful: lots of questions were asked, and we (the collective of posters on this forum) managed to answer most of them.

Now, this thread needs some cleaning up. Not only were lots of questions asked, but a lot of them were also asked repeatedly. Also, since this thread was started and some of the answers given, the layout of the forums had received an overhoal. Some of the answer weren't correct anymore. There are so many Frequently Asked Questions that we decided to group these questions by theme and give each theme its own thread. If you have a specific question look in one of these threads for an answer.

The FAQ has the following headings:

1. Questions about stories e.g. questions on how to publish and update stories;

2. Questions about reviews;

3. Questions about Fanfiction.net;

4. Questions about accounts;

5. Questions about this forum.

Is your question not answered in the thread you thought it should be, then ask it. I'm sure the collective knowledge of this forum can come up with some kind of answer.

11/9/2009 . Edited 11/11/2009 #1
AbCarter

*Help, where did the really long thread with questions go?

It needed cleaning up. There were over a thousand questions and answers and it was hard to find if any one question had been asked yet.

I've saved the old thread to my computer and will be working my way trough it and put the questions and answers I come across in the appropriate FAQ threads.

11/9/2009 #2
Amita4ever

GAH!

I understand the need, just warn us next time? Please? I'd saved the links to a few questions so I could refer back to them. I would have copied them if I'd known they were going to disappear.

That, and I hadn't recieved an answer to the coding question I posted recently :o(

11/9/2009 #3
Wildcard999

Yeah, I think I linked that link a few times trying to give people a good place to go for questions.

11/9/2009 #4
AbCarter

Well, the thread has gotten a new url, so you will have to update that, but other than that, I hope that (soon) it will still be a good place to go for questions and answers.

Amita: The only question regarding code I found for you was "Anyone got any ideas?". I guess you meant how the center command is closed. Since center is part of the style of [p], center is closed when [/p].

11/9/2009 . Edited 11/9/2009 #5
Amita4ever

Greatly appreciated. Support actually answered my plea for help and I was told, "One needs to highlight the section/paragraph that needs to be centered."

DUH!

I've formatted and posted 57 chapters here. I think I know how to center text. I don't think they even looked at the coding I included. I was really hoping someone who knew that sort of thing here could at least tell me if anything is missing. I don't remember ever seeing the [p style = ...] commands before so fixing the formatting through HTML is not as straight forward as I recall.

And a post or two above mine was someone having the same problem so it will answer two people's questions if a solution is found. A good start for a new Q&A thread, yes? :o)

EDIT: Or perhaps this would now go under "Questions About Stories"? Just let me know where to look :o).

11/9/2009 . Edited 11/9/2009 #6
AbCarter

Eeps, you replied just before I had changed my post to answer your question.

Ffnet keeps changing what they allow in html. Though I think [p style=center] has existed for a while (just not with text-align in there). I know because I copy the html after I've uploaded a document here to work on the code for my website, and then change all the style=center for class=center because I use CSS. I'm not a fan of putting a lot of text after style=, but apparently that is recommended coding.

I have to revise another question about what coding can be used on this site.

11/9/2009 #7
Wildcard999

"One needs to highlight the section/paragraph that needs to be centered."

O.O

I just assumed you'd done that already. XD Are there programs where you don't have to?

11/9/2009 #8
Amita4ever

EDIT: DW: Thank you for assuming that (because I did numerous times). Evidently ff.n doesn't think the average user tries that first.

Amita: The only question regarding code I found for you was "Anyone got any ideas?". I guess you meant how the center command is closed. Since center is part of the style of [p], center is closed when [/p].

That's the one, and that's what I was thinking, the [/p] should close the command and so the line should display as centered You can see in the coding I posted, that every line has [p style="text align:center"] in front and a [/p] at it's end, but nothing displays as centered.

Nor can I figure out where it switches to 'justified right' (there is no command for that that I can see), and yet the entire document is justified right and nothing is centered (even though 'text align: center' is the only visible alignment command).

I'm confuzzled.

11/9/2009 . Edited 11/9/2009 #9
Wildcard999

Right align is a glitch that won't change no matter how many times you try to change it back. Same as superscript, strikethrough, underline and whatever else FFN doesn't even allow you to toggle.

Anyway, I'd try reuploading the document and see if that changes anything. Usually if it doesn't allow you to save a change everyone else can do, it's a document glitch.

11/9/2009 #10
Amita4ever

I'm begining to believe its a browser conflict. Support answered me (YEA!) and went in and centered a few paragraphs and saved - no problem. They bolded what they centered just to prove it. They go in it's centered AND bolded. I go in... its bolded. I think my browser is missing something.

This is the first chapter I've loaded since MS put out Service Pack 3, I'm still using IE 7 and XP Pro... who knows where the issue is. I loaded the chapter anyways.... go check out the last chapter of MyCoR 4: Turn About and see if you see the first several lines centered. (and then I'd love to know your configuration.)

11/11/2009 #11
Wildcard999

Is 'Turn About' chapter 7? All I see is six chapters right now. Maybe there hasn't been enough time for it to appear. I'll check back later.

In any case, I have no idea what my configuration is, and I could only guess at how to check it out. Let me know please.

11/11/2009 #12
Amita4ever

No, it was chapter 12 I posted and have had 2 reviews so I know it's available. It has been over a month scince 11 was posted so I have no idea whay you can't see past 6... *SCRATCHES HEAD*

Configuration would be you operating system - it should show up when your booting - Windows XP, Vista, etc.

... your browser - click HELP on your browser menu and then ABOUT (name of browser). It should pop up with the version number.

... might also be helpful to know what word processor and version of that you have. HELP and ABOUT on your word processor should have that too.

11/11/2009 #13
Wildcard999

Windows Vista or XP, can't remember offhand. I think it's Vista. I've got Word 2007, but I've used Works 2003 for most of my uploading.

My browser is Windows internet explorer. I'll check the specifics later.

This is what I see:

MyCoR 4: Nigh Unto Christmas » reviews

“I got him... I would'a never guessed he had such a soft spot in his little heart. Children in peril. He's stupid like that...” – Johns' Chase Log [TCoR: Pitch Black DVD bonus material] Hmm, could there be a story there? UPDATED! Chap 6 up!Pitch Black / Riddick - Rated: T - English - Spiritual/Sci-Fi - Chapters: 6 - Words: 27,670 - Reviews: 19 - Updated: 11-21-07 - Published: 1-1-07 11/11/2009 #14
AbCarter

I think Amita meant MyCor 3: Turn About. That has twelve chapters.

I see bold, I see centered, and I see my browser taking an awful lot of time loading the whole thing.

Specs: Apple 10.4, browser SeaMonkey 1.1.18

11/12/2009 #15
Rhea Silverkeys

Amita: Looked at chapter 12, and it looks ok? There's bits there that are both centred and in bold.

11/12/2009 #16
Wildcard999

Okay, that makes more sense. Yes, centered and bolded.

Windows Internet Explorer version 8.0.6001.18702IC

Windows Vista...idk. I leave while the computer boots up. It takes forever and it's boring to watch.

11/12/2009 #17
Amita4ever

Oops - Yes, MyCoR 3: Turn About. Thanks. EDIT: It is a long chapter... might that account for the load time?

Well, after all you were saying you say it centered, I went in and looked at as if I were a reader and there it is... centered (for which I am exceedingly grateful :o) but in the document editor it is still showing up justified right no matter what I do. Go figure.

At least it's displaying properly now.

Thanks to all who went and looked for me!

11/12/2009 . Edited 11/12/2009 #18
RukiLex

I've been having formatting issues with FF. Specifically, FF.net loves to take away spaces (or at least make it appear as though my space key isn't working properly)when I italicize. I'm a bit of a "neat freak" with my fics - this has been going on as long as I've been posting - and it makes me nuts! Any suggestions (other than going back where it looks wrong on the website and inserting double spaces between italics and regular font? Is it a Word vs. FF issue, or just one of those irritating bugs in the site?

Thanks!

Lex

11/28/2009 #19
Amita4ever

In my experience, "just one of those irritating bugs in the site". I've just made a habit of always putting two spaces after any formatted text when typing in the forum. What really frustrates me is I can be long winded at times, and when I'm smart enough to remember to type it in WORD first so I don't lose everything if it glitches when I post, then when I cut and paste from WORD, after I post, I frequently find ff.n has edited out ALL spacing between my sentences. GRRR to say the least.

11/29/2009 . Edited 11/29/2009 #20
RukiLex

Thanks - I was guessing the same. Very frustrating. I'll go back and edit if it looks horrible, putting in 2 spaces instead of one. It usually works to make it look right, but not always....

12/1/2009 #21
Amita4ever

Go ahead and put your extra spaces in as you type. FF.n edits out extra spaces anyway, and it your are lucky, it will leave one after the formatted text. If it works, you don't have to go back and edit. If it doesn't, well, you were willing to go fix it anyways. Putting them in earlier, might save you a step.

I will also, if I remember, hit the preview button. Usually (although not always, for some odd reason) it will edit out the spaces in the process of preparing it for the preview and I can catch them before I post. I've had a couple times it didn't and I had to go back in after the fact, but sometimes it does and it's easier to fix in the writing stage.

12/1/2009 #22
RukiLex

Thanks - I'll try that!

Lex

12/2/2009 #23
Glitter the meervamp

Is there a way where can I report a user? And if so how?

12/13/2009 #24
AbCarter

There seems to be: reportabuse(at)fanfiction(dot)com. The quick way to send them a message is clicking the support/help link on the top right of the screen (the reportabuse e-mail is shown there as a clickable link). But they are not known for answering their e-mails quickly or at all.

12/13/2009 #25
nirvana heart

I'm constantly forgetting how to insert links into my profile to a story, and put its own title there too. Anyone know how to do this?

12/13/2009 #26
AbCarter

I think you can use the "add link" button for that. First select some text (e.g. the title of the fic) for the button to become active. Then click the button that shows the linked chains. It opens a pop-up window (make sure your browser allows these), type in or copy/paste the url, and add a title. In this example, I've selected the text "active" and made a link to FFnet's main page. The link is called "FFnet". (It's a bit odd that FFnet did not replace the selected text with the new title, as I had expected it would.)

If the "add link" button isn't working, you can use the html. Click the "html" button, which will open a pop-up window and type: [a href="url"]story title[/a] Make sure you replace the square brackets with the angular brackets.

It works the same on profiles as it does on the forums. Except that on profiles it is possible to link to things outside FFnet, and on forums it is not.

12/14/2009 #27
Blackdragon3

hello!

i'm kinda new to the forum here and was wondering if it was allright to post a "looking for writer" post here

i s*ck at writing, but i have a story in my head i'd love to have written.

12/25/2009 #28
Rhea Silverkeys

It's fine as long as you read the rules topic before posting and categorise your topic.

12/25/2009 #29
Wildcard999

Why not just do your best to learn how to write? Honestly, it's so much more fun and fullfilling to try it yourself, even if you do suck. Heck, you could even try it yourself while someone else is writing it too, then compare to see how you can improve!

Really, when I started, I couldn't hold a coherent storyline longer than one scene and I couldn't continue a scene for more than 700 words. There was almost no description, either!

But now, just five years later, I'm giving other people advice on how to write stories, getting bored of the profesional books I used to love that I now see are so chock full of flaws that I can't enjoy them anymore, and having a hell of a time finding betas that can actually help me improve! Really, sometimes you just have to try. I never thought I could tell a story. I tried so many times to make stuff up when my family would take turns making up parts of stories and I was never good at it. But after practicing a lot, I've become great.

12/26/2009 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Monotonehell, Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member