Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
iSpazzyKitty

I've written a lot of stories here on FFNet, & my old ones are terrible...I think thats the reason I never get reviews. (Ok, ALMOST never) How can I fix my reputation? My newer stories, I'm proud of. My old ones make me want to gag at how terrible I used to be at writing. ("Lina the Tamer" & "The Dark Aurora" are good examples.)

I've complained about it before & only got a "Stop complaining about your reviews" review. I actually think complaining on the internet is fun (sort of) like I'm getting out my feelings. Anyway, enough of that.

Please give me some adivice about it that will work.

~Carlint =3

PS. What the heck is "hits" in stories? There's "visits" & then there's "hits" I don't know what that is & it certainly isn't reviews. Anyone know?

2/10/2010 #1
HK-47 Scarlet

Well, the thing is, people review for different reasons. Some because they always review a fic they like, others because they really liked the fic and feel the need to say something, ect. It honestly all depends on the reader. You may get that one reader that doesn't review at all no matter what, or you may just get that one that reviews everything no matter what. There's no real technique to "getting reviews", honestly. The best you can do is work hard.on your fics and do the best you can.

Also, when you say "complain about reviews", do you mean you do it in your fics or profile? Sometimes people will see authors complain about lack of reviews on their fics and will see it as a sign that either A) the author is immature, or B) The author only cares about reviews -- in which case they will not read or review said author.

My best advice is to just write. Work on getting better. Reviews will come eventually, yeah?

2/10/2010 . Edited 2/10/2010 #2
Wildcard999

There is already a discussion on ways to improve reviews. You may find the info in there helpful. There are many things you can do, the most successful usually being hanging around writing forums.

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/2872/2631348/1/ and http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/2872/15740203/1/

Btw, you should try determining the kind of reviews you want. Do you want vague praise, praise, concrit, flames or anything?

Here are some methods to achieve each of these types of reviews:

Vague praise: Advertise and write flavor-of-the-month shipfics.

Praise: Find people that like the kind of stories you write, make friends and review the heck out of them.

Concrit: Request advice from good or better writers and betas. Also, post in review games.

Flames: P*** off anyone you can in the forums and in your fics, but hold back enough that people don't block you.

Anything: Any or all of the above.

As for hits v. visitors, check here: http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/2872/14161680/1/ This thread has a full explanation.

2/10/2010 . Edited 2/19/2010 #3
iSpazzyKitty

Thanks. Tell me, though. What is…Vague, flavor-of-the-month shipfics, review games, & Concrit?

Edit: =3 Ok. Good points. ^^

2/11/2010 . Edited by Rhea Silverkeys, 3/30/2010 #4
Wildcard999

Vague: adj. Indistinct; unclear

Flavor-of-the-month: n. Anything that 'all the rage' temporarily but quickly forgotten for the next new thing; a fad

Shipfic: n. From the word 'ship', short for relationship. Shipfics are stories centered entirely or mostly around one or more pairings.

Review Game: n. A game where people review the person before them.

If you click my profile and scroll down, there's a link to the One Stop Shop thread. It has two review game threads listed if you'd like to take a look.

Concrit: n. Short for 'constructive criticism'.

I have a link in my profile to more FFN slang translations.

2/12/2010 #5
iSpazzyKitty

Ah! I hope I’ll remember that. ^^ Also, I’ll look for those links. ^^ Thanks for the tips. If you have any more, feel free to let me know. :D

2/12/2010 #6
Wordgawk

One thing that might help is leaving reviews for the stories you read. If authors have e-mail alerts on they'll know you wrote the review. Because it's easy to link to the reviewer from that e-mail message, they might check out your stories after reading your reviews and they may leave a comment in return.

2/15/2010 #7
Naheniel

I think taking part in several review games help best to get new reviews. You give and get and that´s it :)

2/16/2010 #8
Maiafay

I love concrit as reviews, but I rarely get those. I don't do the review games because I have too many reviews. I'm middle class. *sigh*

I can usually tell the quality of a story by the reviews. If they're a bunch of one-liners, vague praise, then sometimes I don't bother with the story. There are exceptions of course, but not many.

2/16/2010 #9
iSpazzyKitty

What is middle class? (LOL, I'm horrible with terms.)

And. yeah I haven't done any review games, yet. If I remember, I'll give it a shot. So, what do you write about usually?

2/17/2010 #10
Maiafay

Middle class is my personal catchphrase. Some people would consider me a BNF (big name in fandom) but I don't have thousands of reviews. My average is around 100, which to me, is middle class in terms of review count and notoriety.

And if you visit my profile, you'd see what fandoms I write for, and what kind of stories I write.

2/17/2010 #11
Wildcard999

What do you mean you have ‘too many’ reviews? You think you might be somehow stealing reviews from other people? It’s one fic and one review in the review game. That means that solely by participating, you are paying for your review. You review, there’s one more review in the pool. You don’t review, there’s one less. There’s no way to steal or cheat anyone out of anything in the review game. It’s impossible.

‘Middle class’ usually refers to income. High class earns lots of money, middle class earns a moderate amount and low class earns little to nothing. Maiafay is saying she isn’t drowning in reviews, but she isn’t hurting so bad that she needs help getting them.

2/19/2010 #12
divinexs

o-o Interesting...

2/21/2010 #13
The Raccoon

Aw, man if 100 is middle class Than I am screwed; the highest I've gotten for any of my stories is only 50. :(

2/28/2010 #14
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Eh numbers don´t coun´t. I´d rather have one single review that comments thoughtfully on what I wrote than a million "OMG SO NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!" reviews.

2/28/2010 #15
iSpazzyKitty

Hm, good point. Instead of a bunch of "nice" "cool" "update soon I lke it" reviews (I misspelled that on purpose) I'm like one that actually "REVIEWS" my work. ^^

Edit: Oh, no worries. My friend is probably just really popular. She told me always write for yourself. It's not a chore. ^^ That was her advice.

2/28/2010 . Edited by Rhea Silverkeys, 3/30/2010 #16
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Well my older stories also get more reviews than the newer ones. It just happens. That doesn´t mean people think you´re a bad writer. Just I for example wrote some slighty cheesy romance stories in the beginning and there are simply a lot of shippers there who like seeing certain pairs, they might not read and review more serious stories because they like to read more romantic stuff.

2/28/2010 #17
The Raccoon

You are right; I did get a few meaningful reviews on chapter 5 of a story I have, but as I proceded, the reviews went back to "please update" and "I wonder what will happen next".

Maybe when the story gets more dramatic, people will have more to say.

2/28/2010 #18
ComeandseeVX

What I'm trying to gauge is how hits and visitors relate to lack of reviews. I looked today and I saw I had about 121 hits and 112 visitors on my latest chapter, but no reviews. I assume people like the story cause they're reading it.

2/28/2010 #19
UndeadWithoutCoffee

Well 112 visitors went to the story page, and some either came a second time or refreshed the story at some point. That's what we know for sure. However honestly I don't really look at those numbers because I don't care for them much.

If you don't write in a fandom where reviews are more or less guaranteed then it's luck to get at least a few, if you write (in addition to that) for some less liked characters and/or pairings, even more so.

2/28/2010 #20
ComeandseeVX

That's understandable. Everyone has their own tastes, and I am very picky when it comes to stories I personally read. Before I started my own fic, I rarely posted reviews on fics I actually liked. But, then I realize the story I'm working on is one that I would sit down, if I wasn't the author, and enjoy personally.

Now, on my statement. If I look through the history of my chapters, and see a consistent flow of viewers from one chapter to the next, does that mean they people are enjoying the story? I would assume there would be a major drop off between chapters, but the visitors are rather consistent on all of them while the reviews are maybe 0.01% ratio : viewers.

2/28/2010 #21
UndeadWithoutCoffee

If the readers remain somewhat the same numbers it normally means you have reader base.

In general you have a drop in numbers up to 75% depending what you are writing and how accurate your summaries are and how you manage to write over a longer time. So I wouldn't even get too much concerned if you would have stronger drop in readers. As long as there are people who read the whole story you got a reader base.

2/28/2010 #22
ComeandseeVX

Well your story doesn't usually get much attention unless its updated, and pushed to the frontage. I'm rather picky myself, and I like to read stories that are at least 40,000+ words plus, so jumping those extra "boundaries" can get more viewers.

I think reviews are important, it lets you know where you stand, and where you can improve.

2/28/2010 #23
UndeadWithoutCoffee

I don't care too much about word counts. Short stories can be very nice as well, infact I wrote a lot of one-shots with below 2000 words.

Also: I am not saying reviews don't matter. I'm just saying no one should be too dependant on them and that with some type of stories you just won't get many. Though if I had the feeling I didn't have nough I can still take part in review games and get some.

3/1/2010 #24
Naomi Hansen

Ah, reviews. What a wonderful topic. XD

I don't know why, but I'm usually too nervous to write concrits. Unless the writing in a fic drives me mad (and I mean this in a really bad way), I just tell the authors that they did alright or something like that.

But hey, I least I review! Right? ^^'

With the fandoms I write for, I'm lucky enough to have 26 for the first 3 chapters. (Considering the fandom only has close to 12 people that pay attention to it here.) But I have to admit, I'd rather have only a few reviews that point out what's good and what needs imrovement than a billion reviews that basically say "OMG! DATS SO GUT!!"

3/31/2010 #25
Wildcard999

I don't know why, but I'm usually too nervous to write concrits. Unless the writing in a fic drives me mad (and I mean this in a really bad way), I just tell the authors that they did alright or something like that. But hey, I least I review! Right? ^^'

True, it's good that you review, but why are you so nervous about concrits? Are you afraid of reprisal or are you worried you might hurt or frustrate the other person out of writing?

To the first, I'd just suggest setting up a sock account for your reviewing, just in case something happens and someone gets pissy, you don't have to worry about an important account getting spammed with angry emails. Plus, you can just ditch the account and get a new one to review with. I know it's a hassle, but if you don't like not being able to say something about really bad stuff, it can work.

To the second, all I can say is that criticism balanced by praise doesn't hurt people. If you tell someone their fic is flat and uninteresting, that sucks. But if you say it's suspenseful and interesting, but it seems flat and emotionless because we never hear what anyone feels about anything, it really doesn't seem that bad, does it? Prescriptive criticism really helps writers because it doesn't just tell them what is wrong, it tells them how to fix it too.

4/1/2010 #26
Naomi Hansen

What's weird is that I usually only care about giving concrits for Wizard101 stories. They're usually written badly enough to the point that I give them to the authors. So maybe "nervous" wasn't a good word to use. It's more like "I have no idea how to praise this properly" or something simmilar when it comes to other fandoms. (ex., fanfics for Hetalia: Axis Powers, Harry Potter, etc.)

Actually, scratch one thing. I am "nervous" about writing concrits, but it's not because I feel that the writer will get mad: It's because I got no clue if I'm giving advice that'll actually help them improve. I don't know why I feel that way, but I do.

4/1/2010 #27
japaneserockergirl

If someone gave me constructive crit., I would definitely improve. I'd rather have someone yell "Hey, stupid! You need more ___!" than have no one at all or people who just say 'I like the story', because then I feel as though I'm just wasting my time putting all this effort into writing the fic....which seems to be my current problem.

Also, out of curiosity, is there like a 'prime time' for putting up new chapters so that I can get the most amount of reviews possible? I thought that maybe Friday afternoons/evenings or weekends would be best, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.

4/2/2010 #28
pyrrhicvictoly

I also have some trouble giving concrit at times. The thing is, I'm usually really nice about it. I always have something good to say about the fic, and if I'm offering crit, I'll always tell them to keep writing. Once, I corrected someone's spelling. There was a word they had that I just couldn't puzzle out -- unuck? Eventually, I figured they must have meant "eunuch" and asked about it in my review. The response I got was basically, "Wow. That's such a little thing! No one else picked up on it except you. Why would you even go to the trouble of pointing that out? I'm not changing anything."

Another time, I criticized the characterization in a story that I really liked. It started out strong, but the latest chapter had this really tough super-assassin suddenly bursting out into tears, so I said I really enjoyed the author's writing, but his actions didn't fit the way he had been written in previous chapters. The author never responded, even though she had been responding to my previous reviews, and she never updated the fic again. I don't know if it was something in the tone -- I tried to say it in a joking manner, but maybe it backfired. None of the other reviews had any crit whatsoever, so I'm left to assume that it was mine that turned her off writing.

With responses like these, I can't help but think that I'd be better off saving my advice for people who really want it. Apparently, some authors don't take very well to anything that's not gushing praise. But then the people who actually want concrit tend to be writing on a similar level as I am, or maybe they're better, so it's hard for me to find things that need improvement in their work.

4/2/2010 #29
iSpazzyKitty

Hey! Thanks all of you for helping me out! Lately, I've been getting a lot of reviews on my story, "Intertwined" & a few on "Disturbia" I've loved it. Although, I didn't change anything…weird. Maybe it's just the movie being new & everyone's looking for a good story to go with it?

4/2/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Monotonehell, Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member