Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Rhea Silverkeys

[Note: This was taken from Alfonts' step-by-step. Edited to be compliant with site overhaul.]

After reading the guide, if there are any further questions or comments, feel free to PM me or any of the mods, or post in this topic only. All uploading and posting issues are only to be discussed here. Also, if you find the guide confusing or whatever, just let me know!

Contents of this post

I. Posting a new story

II. How to add additional chapters

III. How to edit stories

IV. Solution to uploading problem

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I. Posting a new story

1. Break up the chapters into individual files on your computer. This is the single easiest way to create different chapters. I recommend you simply start a new document whenever you start a new chapter.

2. Upload these files (via your document manager) to the website.

i. Log in.

ii. On the left of the screen click on the "publish" tab, then move down and click "Doc Manager (upload)".

iii. In the box "Upload new Document" you will see three fields to fill out. They're pretty self explanatory: 'Label' (this is so you can identify your chapter after you've uploaded it, don't bother with file extensions as they sometimes confuse the system); 'File on computer' (click "browse" to select the file you wish to upload); and 'Format' (you can choose between 'Story' and 'DocX', and a little box below these fields explain what these two words mean).

iv. Click "Submit Document".

v. You should now see the file in the "Doc Manager". (Little note on what the 'Life' column in the document manager means: it tells you how many days your document - not your story - stays in the document manager. After a certain number of days the document will be automatically deleted, however this does not mean your story is deleted. Putting your document in the document manager does not mean you have posted your story yet.)

3. Click on "New Stories" on the left

4. i. In the text-box there will most likely be a message stating that you have not agreed to the guidelines, even if you have previously, if it was longer than 7 days ago you need to do it again.

ii. Click the underlined "Guidelines".

iii. Read them (they tell you what sort of stories and what sort of fandoms are not allowed) and scroll to the bottom of the page to click on "I accept".

5. Click "New Story" again. What follows is some very basic step by step instructions. When you're filling out the fields, the only one that might be might be misleading is "Document". This seems to be where many people make their mistake. You can only select a file you have already uploaded to your "Doc Manager" (That was step 2, so if you've been following this guide you should be covered!), it does not allow you to take them straight from your computer.

6. Click "Submit Story". You now have a story on FF.net.

II. How to add additional chapters

1. Upload the next chapter if it's not in your doc manager (steps 1-2 of part I).

2. Go to "publish".

3. Click on "Manage Stories".

4. Click on the "edit" button sitting on the right of the details of the story you want to edit.

5. Click on "Content/Chapters", it's near the top.

6. i. Simply fill out the appropriate fields and click "Add".

ii. If you wish to replace an existing chapter (which I will look at in more depth under "editing"), simply fill out the fields under that heading.

III. How to edit stories

Unfortunately editing is a bit of a pain of ff.net, so here's a brief guide as to the quickest way to do it.

1. Click on "Manage Stories".

2. Click the "edit" button of the story you wish to edit.

3. Here you can make any superficial changes to the story (title, summary, rating, etc.) Remember to click "Save changes" at the bottom when you are done.

4. To make changes to the actual content of the story, click "Content/Chapters" near the top of the page.

5. Next to each chapter you will see four buttons. I will explain each of these in turn:

Edit: to change the chapter title and its position. Simply click it, make the changes then click "save". NOT for changing the content of the chapter.

Delete (del): Pretty obvious. Delete the chapter.

Export (exp): Very useful, moves a copy of the chapter to your doc(ument) manager. A copy of the chapter you export also remains where it is, you can replace it later.

Backup (dl): Bring up a page with only the text of your story on, convenient for copying and pasting back into word (or equivalent).

6. What you do next depends on how much editing you have to do. If you only have to change a few typos, then it's probably easiest to do it in the editor provided in the doc manager:

i. Click "Export". A link to the exported chapter in the document manager (Doc Manager) is provided. Click that and move on to step iv.

Alternatively

ii. Click "Doc Manager" on the left of the screen. You are shown a list of documents that are available in the Doc Manager.

iii. Click "Edit/Preview" for the chapter required.

iv. Make the changes.

v. Click "Save changes".

vi. Follow the steps for "adding a chapter" above, simply selecting to "replace" the chapter you have edited.

If you have some heavy editing to do (entire passages for example), you will most likely prefer to do this in word (or equivalent) on your computer. If you have a copy saved to your hard drive that is exactly the same as is up on the site, then simply edit on your computer and resubmit it. Follow the instructions for "adding a chapter", using step 6 ii).

If you don't have the original document anymore, you can download a backup copy from ffnet.

i. Click "backup"

ii. In the new window simply highlight the text (or press Ctrl + A)

iii. Right click anywhere on it

iv. Click "copy"

v. Open up a new word document

vi. Right click in the blank space (or click "edit")

vii. Click "paste"

viii. Make your changes, remembering to save them at the end

ix. Follow the instructions for "adding a chapter", using step 6 ii)

IV. Solution to uploading problem

This is not a solution to every uploading problem, just general ones that people seem to come across often. Sometimes the site just bugs up completely and there's nothing anyone can do but wait for them to fix it, but you can report problems to them here: support at fanfiction.com (for some reason I can't post e-mail adds).

The first thing to always do is try and upload your chapter as a plain text file...I don't know why, but that does seem so solve a surprising amount of troubles.

Did you click upload and come up with a blank screen? This bug happens pretty frequently, but we've found a way around it. Although, it can only be used if you have at least one chapter previously submitted. If you're submitting your first chapter (i.e. creating your first story), then there's not a lot I can really suggest, other than: wait for the bug to sort itself out. Otherwise:

1. Log in and select the "publish" tab.

2. Click "Manage stories".

3. Click on the title of any story you have there, it doesn't matter which one.

4. Click "contents/chapters".

5. On the right, next to each chapter, you'll see the four buttons I've previously mentioned. Click on "exp" next to any chapter. Again, it doesn't matter which one. Now you'll have a document in the document manager. I'll note again that by clicking export a copy of the chapter goes to your document manager. The actual document remains where it is.

6. Click "Doc Manager" on the left.

7. There should be a copy of the document you exported sitting there. Click the "edit/preview" button.

8. Now you simply highlight all the text and delete it.

9. Open up the new chapter you wish to add in whatever word processor you use, and cut and paste it into the document you have open.

10. Click "Save Changes"! Believe me, you'll kick yourself if you forget.

11. Simply place this document that you've made into whatever story you wish, simply treat it as a normal document in your manager and, if necessary, follow the instructions in previous parts of this guide.

8/13/2007 . Edited by AbCarter, 7/10/2011 #1
AbCarter
A little additional information: the sort of tags you are allowed to use and the document formats FFnet accepts. In the document manager a list is given of which tags (when html coding your document) FFnet allows. Those are for linebreak (starts the next word on a new line), bold, italics, underline, horizontal line (to indicate a transition of scene), and paragraph. (code (between the pointy brackets): br, b, i, u, hr, and p). [html code is easy enough to learn. Upload a document, and go to edit. Look at what Ffnet does to your document under the html tab]. To avoid ffnet bunching all your text together you should put a blank line between paragraphs (hit enter twice) or use a "hard" enter (press shift+enter). I remember that a while back ffnet had a little trouble with word docs. It may have caused the layout problems you had. That problem should be fixed now. For Mac you can use any program that can save documents in the formats that FFnet allows for uploading: [q]# + OpenOffice (.sxw, .odt) # + NeoOffice (.sxw) # + Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) # + WinWord, WordPad (.rtf) # + StarOffice (.sdw) # + WordPerfect (.wp, .wpd) # * HTML (.htm, .html) # * Plain Text, NotePad (.txt)[/q] There is a link to NeoOffice for Mac on the frontpage of FFnet. There is Microsoft Word for Mac, but you have to pay for that. Besides, NeoOffice can save documents in Word format if you want. So can the AppleWorks program you probably already have on your Mac.
8/15/2007 #2
ViridianVenus
I have 2 questions. The first is automatic doublespacing. For example i want my name directly under the title with no space in between. Title by author but what i end up with is Title by author how do i fix that? My other question is, why won't it let me use the character @ in the story? If it matters, i use microsoft word
9/6/2007 #3
AbCarter
I'm surprised you didn't end up with: Title by author FFnet bunches everything together if you don't double space. So if you want a single space you should hold the shift key while hitting the enter key. This will leave you with a line break that FFnet recognizes. No, you can't do @ in a story. FFnet strips e-mail addresses from stories (to avoid spam and stuff). Contacting the author can be done through the profile. There is no other reason to have an @ in the story. If you are using it because one character tells another character an e-mail address you can write out the @ the way you would say it yourself (I doubt there is a sound for @). So: thisperson at thatdomain dot com
9/7/2007 #4
UhHuhWhat
I'm having some troubling with my story. I followed the directions three times. It looks like my story has been posted. It is listed under Stories in my account. It is not, however, posted on the website. Basically, I can see it and it looks fine, but no one else can see it. Any ideas? Thanks!
10/30/2007 #5
Rowena DeVandal
It can sometimes take several hours for your story to appear in the story listing, because this site can be very slow at times. So don't worry, it'll show up eventually...:)
10/31/2007 #6
AbCarter
More peculiar: sometimes a story doesn't show up in the default K through T list, but it does show up when you select to see stories of all ratings or just the stories with the rating your story has. It is weird, but it happens.
10/31/2007 #7
UhHuhWhat
Thanks! You were right - it just wasn't showing up with the default K-M search. Is there any way to stop or prevent that?
10/31/2007 #8
AbCarter
Nope. I think the reason for this glitch is that FFnet uses many servers to store its data on and not all those servers are updated at the same time. As a result, sometimes you see your story sometimes you don't. But usually it doesn't take that long (as in more than an hour) for all the servers to have been updated. So, uhm, patience little grasshopper.
11/1/2007 #9
Sessysladyofthewest
For some reason I follwed your steps and it still won't let me down load my story. I wrote it in word documents, now do I have to move it to another spot. Please tell me step by step. By the way if you haven't guessed I'm new. Thank you for all your help.
11/2/2007 #10
AbCarter
If you follow the step by step it should work. Though, yesterday I was experiencing some problems reaching FFnet, so that could have been your problem too. Another option is that you still had the document opened in word when you tried to upload. I've experienced uploading difficulties over that as well. Close the document before you try to upload it, and follow the step by step. Hope that helps. If it didn't, could you be more specific about what kind of problem you run into. For instance: do you get an error message?
11/3/2007 #11
dartigen
Query: Attempting to make a minor alteration to my summary (hyphenating a word that I forgot to). Am being told that no change is summary is detected. Does it count hyphens? Or am I going to have to redo my summary?
11/3/2007 . Edited 11/3/2007 #12
AbCarter
I don't think hyphens are accepted in summaries. At least they aren't in titles. In the A-Team section there are quite a few titles that are missing a hyphen, and that can't be because all those people happen to be incapable of proper typing.
11/3/2007 #13
dartigen
[q]I don't think hyphens are accepted in summaries. At least they aren't in titles. In the A-Team section there are quite a few titles that are missing a hyphen, and that can't be because all those people happen to be incapable of proper typing.[/q] Argh. But fast-forward has ALWAYS been hyphenated, and I refuse to use a space instead of a hyphen!
11/4/2007 #14
AbCarter
Fear not, there are ways around this. You must use ascii codes in stead. And if I remember correctly, it may also work to copy-paste the symbol you need from the "character map" program Windows has. And yes, it may take a while for a story to show up.
11/5/2007 #15
Winter Skye
Wikipedia has the answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ndash#Common_dashes I use & ndash; all the time in my fics, but I've never tried putting one in the summary. And this HTML 4.0 Character Entity Reference shows how the named and decimal character references look in one's browser http://www.alanwood.net/demos/ent4_frame.html
11/5/2007 . Edited 11/5/2007 #16
Aleta Thuvis
I have noticed in other author's stories that the Submit Review and Chapter Map shows up at the end of their chapters. I have a story, that its chapters are not being ended that way. Instead it's "Back to top" which doesn't work when I click on the link. How do I fix this?
11/18/2007 #17
Hollefine
Ah, you're probably just previewing your fic, right? If you go to your account url and then click on the story, it will be normal. Don't worry, it's just you that views it like that. :] (Umm, that made sense, right? Just ask if you didn't get what I just said...)
11/18/2007 #18
AbCarter
It made sense to me. Mostly because a lot of times people paste links in this forum for their story which they copied while looking at the preview. That's not going to work, because your preview is secure; other people can't access it. What Hollefine said was: if you want to view your story in the same layout as other people's stories you have to access them in the same way. So go to the category where your story is listed, or to your profile page, and click the link to your story. That should show the chapter map and review button at the bottom.
11/19/2007 #19
0palmtree2
All of this information is excellent. It successfully guided me through the whole submitting a story process. There was one thing that happened to me that, I don't think, was addressed before. I got up to the part in "New Stories" where you click on the category that you want to place your story in. I pressed "books" then they ask which book your story falls under. I scrolled through the list but the book that I was writing about wasn't there. There also was no option that allowed me to create a new link for the book I was looking for. Here's a brake-down of what I did and what happened: 1- I logged in 2- I clicked on "stories" 3- I clicked on "new stories" 4- I clicked on "first step: click to select category" 5- I clicked on "books" 6- I looked through the list and the book "shane" wasnt there, and there was no option for making your own book link Do I have to not include that story because it doesn't belong anywhere, or is there a solution? Hope this makes sense, and thanks for all your help.
12/13/2007 . Edited 12/13/2007 #20
AbCarter
[q] 6- I looked through the list and the book "shane" wasnt there, and there was no option for making your own book link[/q] If your choice of fandom isn't there (and in the case of books it some times helps to look under both the name of the author and the name of the series) you can post your story in the miscellaneous section. So Misc. books is for stories in book fandoms that don't have their own category (yet). To request a new category you can send a message to support@fanfiction.com
12/14/2007 #21
cathrl
[q]6- I looked through the list and the book "shane" wasnt there, and there was no option for making your own book link Do I have to not include that story because it doesn't belong anywhere, or is there a solution? [/q] One thing you can try is looking to see whether the fandom exists somewhere else - I have a vague memory that they made a movie of Shane. Often (maybe always, I know there was talk of splitting LotR but not whether it happened) there's only one section per fandom on the site, even when there should logically be a book section and a TV or movie section. So people post Harry Potter fanfic in the book section, even if they're using the movies, and Thunderbirds fanfic in the TV shows section even if it's based on the movie for that.
12/14/2007 #22
0palmtree2
Hey guys, Thanks you for your help and advice and prompt responses. In the end, I put my "Shane" story in Misc. X-overs. I think that ended up being the best spot for it. Again, thanks!
12/17/2007 . Edited 12/17/2007 #23
A Rose For My Silence
Hi, I'm new to Fanfiction, and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I checked and didn't find anything. Anyway, I was looking, and I noticed that even though I had asterisks and underscores in my document, they aren't appearing in my stories, and it looks bleh. If you know why, I'd appreciate some help ^___^;; Thanks.
12/18/2007 #24
AbCarter
Ah, yes, that question has been answered in the "I have a question" thread. There are certain forms of formating FFnet doesn't allow. Asterikses are part of that. FFnet does allow underscore. I've seen it in a fic fairly recently. (Just checked the document formating: it still has a button to underscore text). So, I don't know how you underlined your text, but a single line underneath the text should work. Check the "I have a question" thread for a list of the other symbols FFnet doesn't allow (they're listed somewhere in the first post), and for other questions you might have.
12/18/2007 #25
cathrl
[q]Hey guys, Thanks you for your help and advice and prompt responses. In the end, I put my "Shane" story in Misc. X-overs. I think that ended up being the best spot for it. Again, thanks![/q] If it's not a crossover, I wouldn't. I really wouldn't. Sure, loads of people post non-crossovers in that section...but just click on a few of their reviews. You're highly likely to get flamed and reported for site abuse. Misc. Books (in the Books section) is a much better general place for it.
12/18/2007 #26
0palmtree2
Ahhhhh yes, now THAT makes sense. I'll do it at once. Thanks for the help (again lol!)
12/18/2007 . Edited 12/18/2007 #27
A Rose For My Silence
Thank you =D But, I mean, not underlining text, but just putting an underscore in, like you would for a smiley (Sorry if that's what you meant).
12/19/2007 #28
AbCarter
*pokes to "I have a question" thread.* There's a work around in there. Also, a smile is not text, so shouldn't really be in a story.
12/20/2007 #29
AnimeOtaku000
[b]i edit it in the document but when i view it it [h]doesnt[/h] [u]show the changes i've made[/u] [/b]
12/30/2007 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member