Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Rhea Silverkeys

Who is your favourite author, what are your favourite books and why? Published books only, as we already have a section for favourite fanfiction.

8/1/2011 . Edited 8/1/2011 #1
Maryilee

I loved The Help by Katheryn Stockett, The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck and Roots, by Alex Haley.

8/5/2011 #2
BrokenRepublic

Franz Kafka's The Trial. It really makes you think about the power held by the subconscious and societal norms. The concept of Josef K. being put on trial is just an extended metaphor for how the subconscious places an unrelenting feeling of guilt on a person who believes themselves to be acting in an immoral way as dictated by society. It's worth two or more reads to get the full effect of it.

8/5/2011 #3
HatakeRules

I love A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly; she manages to create a story told from a girl's point of view without making it incredibly embarrassing or annoying (and this is coming from a girl, haha!); you root for Mattie and feel for her, celebrating the tiny victories in her life and feeling upset with the problems that come with life; the story is set around the 1800s or so and Mattie finds her voice when she discovers the truth behind a girl's death who had been staying at the hotel where she had been working; an excellent story, that's about all I can say! ;p

8/5/2011 #4
The Lauderdale

I don't really have a favorite: I have favorites. But from about age 10 to 16 my favorite book was Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey, and she was my favorite author. As crazy as people get about wizards and Hogwarts, that's how I was about Heralds and Valdemar. Yes, I too secretly dreamed about a white horse-like Companion coming in the night to Choose me and take me away to be a Herald trainee...

8/7/2011 #5
Ventisquear

Hm. Number one is Lord of the Rings - but more because of personal reasos. That book helped me in the worst time of my life and will stay on the top forever.

Foucalt's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, Chronicle of a Death Foretold by G. M. Marquez, The Scaffold by Chingiz Aitmatov and The Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos all share the second place.

8/15/2011 #6
xSweetBubbleTeax

Gosh I have so many XD

Hmm...

Stephen King,Stephenie Meyer,JK.Rowling,Edgar Allen Poe,LJ.Smith,Kurtis Klause,Khaled Hosseini,'You can run But You Can't Hide'-Duane 'Dog' Chapman,'Where Mercy Is Shown,Mercy Is Given' also by 'Duane 'Dog' Chapman,R.L. Stein,Anne Sewell...

Um,yeah that's pretty much it really.

10/10/2011 . Edited 12/6/2011 #7
cathrl

I'm really enjoying George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series at the moment. Problem is, I've nearly caught up and I think there are still two more books to be released? I'm about to be frustrated...

It's the book series which the TV series "Game of Thrones" is based on (A Game of Thrones is the title of the first book.)

If you liked the TV series, you'll like the books. Probably the closest adaptation I've ever seen. The only real difference is that the TV show up-ages the child characters...which works fairly well, because it means that the "just adult" characters are 18-19 on screen instead of 16, and they're not asking 9 year olds to swordfight.

There aren't many series where a character has changed plausibly over time such that I've loathed them to start out and ended up liking them.

10/13/2011 #8
Morta's Priest

Brandon Sanderson, probably everything he's written including unpublished stuff from his website. :P

Don't know why, but I fanboy over that guy's stuff. :P

10/19/2011 #9
swirlsofmagic

A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness.

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni.

Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan.

Emerald Atlas by John Stephens.

4/7/2013 #10
Narwhale

I have always been fond of the Deltora Books by Emily Ross. Childhood FTW!

4/7/2013 #11
i1976 - blu notte

Haruki Murakami, EVERYTHING of Haruki Murakami.

Why? He's really particular, his style is unique (you can recognize it), he's surreal but at the same time totally realistic (it's stunning the way he can write of things totally unbelievable so realistically, so that the strangest thing seems the most normal thing). I LOVE Murakami, and I've already read 12 books of him, and I keep on reading him... it's a DRUG (time after time I have to go back to Murakami, and after reading one of his book I have to "re-get" used to read other books, LOL

And after Murakami... Banana Yoshimoto, Jostein Gaarder, John Fante, Abraham Jehoshua, David Grossman, Arto Paasilinna, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Carlos Ruis Zafon, Jane Austen, Franz Kafka, Luigi Pirandello.

And Dante Alighieri.... the master... the genious :-))

4/7/2013 . Edited 4/7/2013 #12
Kaizen Kitty

Chekhov and Roald Dahl.

Roald Dahl has a great style in my opinion. Swift and easy to read (he does not use long and tedious descriptions of the setting and scenery), and yet still literary (he does not fall into pitfalls or clichés). And his short stories are highly entertaining (especially due to their unelaborated twist endings).

Chekhov is great. In my book he's the greatest writer who ever lived. Not only is his style impeccable, and his stories are interesting, but they're also incredibly close to life. Chekhov was a very wise man who understood characters of real living people and was able to portray them so vividly. It's not just relaxation when reading his stories: you can learn so much from them. Actually useful things.

4/8/2013 . Edited 4/8/2013 #13
AughraOfEarth

So many...C.J. Cherryh for an extraordinary number of books, not always her best-known at this stage. While I've enjoyed her Foreigner series in recent years, and most of her major hani books, I've probably re-read Cuckoo's Egg and The Paladin more often than any other individual books. Lois McMaster Bujold for both the Vorkosigan Saga and Chalion books. Guy Gavriel Kay for Tigana. Andre Norton--sometimes a bit precious in style, but damn, what a storyteller, and The Zero Stone is still a favourite. Georgette Heyer for 40-50 volumes of the best historical fluff ever (and better genuinely historical novels) and working back to classic crap, there's just no beating Dumas père's musketeers' books. Most of Melissa Scott's inventive SF novels, Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds, and just about all of Terry Pratchett's stuff.

:D Or, as a horoscope I had done back in my 20s put it..."You are capable of finding God in a hot fudge sundae."

4/8/2013 #14
driftinginclouds

The Gemma Doyle Triology by Libba Bray

The Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling

Martin Eden by Jack London

Forbidden by Tabitha Sazuma

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

New Favourite: The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

4/8/2013 . Edited 4/9/2013 #15
moosesquirrelkittenandking

My favorites, off the top of my head:

Patrick Bowers Files - Steven James

Restoration Series - Terri Blackstock

Dreamhouse Kings Series - Robert Liparulo

Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolinni

Percy Jackson and the Olympians - Rick Riordan

Harry Potter series - J. K. Rowling

4/9/2013 #16
Princess Skye Jewel

Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene. It's mysterious that's why

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney--because it's funny and I can relate to some of the stuff.

I think those are the two I like best. Unless I edit this to list more.

4/10/2013 #17
HissingSnake

The Silver Brumby by Elyne Mitchell.

Absolutely my favourite book of all time, there language is so rich with description and evocative imagery. Very, very beautifully written.

4/10/2013 #18
Blue-Inked Frost

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. My favourite of hers - I'll bend your ear off about how wonderful Fanny Price is any time anywhere. (Any Jane Austen fans here spoiling for a fight? :P)

Vanity Fair by William Thackeray. Becky Sharp is very wonderful and very wicked.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. The first time I read it, it made me cry when Enjolras died.

Deathstalker series by Simon R Green. Cheesy but highly dramatic space opera with energy guns, swords, and so much awesomeness happening.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. A recent re-read - in awe of the writer's skills and Jane's self-contained personality.

Most things by Agatha Christie - her mysteries are my literary comfort food. Dorothy Sayers is more erudite but not always as fun.

Anything by Anthony Trollope - it's hard to pick a favourite, but I'm always in awe of his characterisation. Barchester Towers is probably the one I like best, though The Warden is very good and self-contained and succinct if you happen to like succinct.

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell - the racism is terrible but the writing is incredibly energetic. I can't put it down even on re-reads.

Anything by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. More literary comfort food - she did Victorian melodrama and did it extremely well, and one respects her amazing industry and the evidence that she was well educated.

And I just read Twilight of Lake Woebegotten by Harrison Geillor a parody - excellent and hilarious. First, Edwin was a vampire. Second, he loved me--or at least thought my blood smelled delicious, which, for a vampire, was probably the next best thing. And third, I would get him to turn me into a vampire too, no matter how much scheming, manipulation, or treachery it required.

Since I'm addicted to reading and had a long car trip recently, I also just finished Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens - exuberant, sprawling, and fascinating. And Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte (not as good as Agnes Grey).

Road Dahl, Joan Aiken, Enid Blyton, Angela Brazil, Frances Hodgson Burnett, Diana Wynne-Jones, Noel Streatfeild, Elizabeth Goudge, CS Lewis, Richmal Crompton, Eleanor Farjeon - all children's authors that I liked/still like. Eleanor Farjeon's Silver Curlew is a book I remember to this day that I cannot get my hands on - one of those beautiful childhood stories lost to time. What are the children's authors you most remember? As CS Lewis once said, you're only truly grown up when you're no longer ashamed of liking fairy tales. :D

Sorry, this is way too much. I start and can't stop without thinking I'm neglecting some fantastic authors, which I still clearly am because I can't believe I forgot PG Wodehouse and Henryk Sienkiewicz and... [stops there]

4/10/2013 #19
Tuliharja

I've actually three favourite authors at the moment.

My favourite authors:

Derek Landy, Cornelia Funke and Melissa Marr.

My favourite books are:

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. I just absolute adored that book and read it with one day. I just got hooked into that book and its world SO badly…it was fantastic.

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. The book was really fantastic and I loved how the author had 'broken' the usual rule about the oldest daughter. It was really sweet and characters were good. I also liked all the surprises in it!

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. I've never and I mean never laughed so hardly when I've read a book. The book was just hilarious and I've read it already about…three times? I usually read book just once, maybe twice, but never so many times. Oh, and did I mention to you never mess with a girl with frying pan? Yes, the main character was one kickass girl who was still quite young, but didn't take crap from anyone.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett. Once again the book was really funny, but there were still so many feelings! I really felt all the main characters even they were rats and a cat! It was really great adventure.

4/26/2013 #20
pas une pipe

Ted Chiang, Isaac Asimov, Franz Kafka, Jane Austen, and J.K. Rowling.

4/26/2013 #21
CallMeOutis

My favorite author is still Ray Bradbury. I broke down in tears when I found out he died.

When I was younger, I wrote him a letter, thanking him for all he had done for me. I was too afraid to send it. It's still at the bottom of my drawer, tucked away.

4/26/2013 #22
Melodeia

First and foremost, I'd recommend my favorite, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can't resist – books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.

4/26/2013 #23
Revolving Dragunov

So Many Cats by Beatrice Schenk De Regniers

1984 by George Orwell

4/26/2013 #24
CallMeOutis

On the subject of writers, what about poets? I love Tennyson and T.S. Eliot especially.

4/26/2013 #25
Madam'zelleGiry

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary. It may be a kid's book, but it's one that I recently reread and it was just so wonderful coming back to it as an adult. Real tearjerker when you understand what's really happening.

4/26/2013 #26
Lux Hart
On the subject of writers, what about poets?

I don't read a lot of poetry, but love Richard Siken. One of my favourite poems (not by Siken) is The Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy. Also enjoy myself the occasional Ernest Hemingway poem, if only for my love of his grammar.

4/26/2013 . Edited 4/26/2013 #27
CallMeOutis

Aw, Beverly Cleary. That takes me back.

Anybody still love Shel Silverstein?

4/26/2013 . Edited 4/26/2013 #28
LightzMusic22

Vampire Academy series: Richelle Mead

Bloodlines: Spin off series to Vampire Academy: Richelle Mead

The Dead Is... series: Marlene Perez

Vampire Kisses series: Ellen Schreiber

I'm a vampire/supernatural fan... and these are some of the books I really enjoyed.

4/26/2013 . Edited 4/26/2013 #29
bigmamaisback

I recently started reading the series The Endurers by Rose Wynters. It's set in Armageddon times. The Endurers are immortal warriors that stand between demons and humans. The genre is definitely paranormal romance. The books seem realistic and have some super funny parts but are also pretty serious at times too. The latest release is Curvaceous Condemnation.

4/26/2013 #30
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member