Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
icyvampire123

This whole purging of the site is ridiculous and inconvient to EVERYONE. The mods of fanfiction haven't seemed to care for YEARS what went on on the site concerning their rules and now all of a sudden seem to be hell bent on deleting anything with "inappropriate" content? Ridiculous.

There are countless ways to insure that people who are uncomforatable with such material do not stumble upon it. There is the rating first of all, which by the way Fanfiction, M rating DOES mean that there is a STRONG possibility of there being sex, violence, stong language and other such things related to those topics. Not to mention that most every author gives adequte warnings when such things are going to occurr. No one is left ignorant. If someone chooses to continue on after that point, it is by their choice and is the fault of no one but the individual.

It would be so much simpler if fanfiction would just readd the MA rating they had gotten rid of instead of deleting the THOUSANDS of stories which have accumilated in their years inactivity and unregulation. This purge is causing great inconvience to, not only the authors but to the readers as well who now have to track down where all their authors are relocating to.

And I would hope this petition going on would have some affect on the mods. It may open their eyes, if only a little, to the damage they are causing. The petition has already recieved well over 14,000 signatures in only 3 days and is steadily increasing with each passing minute.

To people arguing about the minors stumbling upon stories with mature themes, they're are countless safety measures that can be taken to insure that doesn't happen. And even if a minor does stumble upon a mature story, most of the minors on this sight are around the ages of 16-18. Nothing they don't already know about, I assure you. But if it is such a concern, which I can understand how it could be, there are, as I said before, measures that the mods could take that are FAR easier than removing all the fics on here that do not fit their description of age appropriate.

So I agree with the petition. Everyone should sign. It doesn't take much time and it may knock some sense into the mods and end this foolishness.

6/6/2012 . Edited 6/6/2012 #1
icyvampire123

Here is the link to sign the petition! http://www(dot)change(dot)org/petitions/fanfiction-net-stop-the-destruction-of-fanfiction-net

6/6/2012 #2
CazPeak

The newest mod is Dolores Umbridge.

More ministry edicts to follow.

6/6/2012 #3
icyvampire123

Haha. It would appear so. Maybe the new mod will get carried away by centaurs as well?

6/6/2012 #4
thelastpen

So, just to be clear, you believe that you shouldn't be held to the rules you agreed to follow by posting on this site. And this forum, considering you couldn't be bothered to follow the rules of this forum by categorizing this thread. I have no interest in signing a spam petition that is apparently primarily supported by individuals who think the rules don't apply to them.

6/6/2012 #5
arukafox

I too believe this is nonsence! We have freedom of expressing whatever we want. Its rated, people will only read it if they want. It was always like that, why can't it stay like this? i've been following stories in this site for YEARS now

6/6/2012 #6
thelastpen

You don't seem to understand what "freedom of expression" means. Yes, you can express yourself as you want, but if you go and expose yourself to children in a public park, you'll be arrested. And if you post MA stories here on FFN and it gets reported, it'll get deleted. Freedom of expression doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want, wherever you want with no consequences.

6/6/2012 #7
Eivexst

Well I agree with all of you this does not really seem fair I mean I may have a account but I have been using this site for 2 years now so I agree I will sign the petition to keep them straight.

6/6/2012 #8
arukafox

then why was created a M rated category? you lost my point

6/6/2012 #9
Kohana Moon

unleash your imagination..... If you look at the top of your screen it says this on every page found on FF.net. Maybe they should change it to limit your imagination... The Delores Umbridge approach to imagination.... I agree with CazPeak! SOPA and PIPA have infiltrated FF.net it seems... soon there will be no imagination left that is acceptable. So FF.net has falsely advertised its meaning with "unleash your imagination" as they seem to want to now, a decade later, to contain you imagination.

6/6/2012 #10
Cthreen

According to http://www.fanfiction.net/guidelines/, FF.Net uses the FictionRatings.com ratings system. The M category is "Not suitable for children or teens below the age of 16 with non-explicit suggestive adult themes, references to some violence, or coarse language. " Whereas MA "Content is only suitable for mature adults. May contain explicit language and adult themes."

6/6/2012 #11
Eivexst

Want me to re word tht then?

6/6/2012 #12
Silver-hair Angel

unleash your imagination..... If you look at the top of your screen it says this on every page found on FF.net. Maybe they should change it to limit your imagination... The Delores Umbridge approach to imagination.... I agree with CazPeak! SOPA and PIPA have infiltrated FF.net it seems... soon there will be no imagination left that is acceptable. So FF.net has falsely advertised its meaning with "unleash your imagination" as they seem to want to now, a decade later, to contain you imagination.

Follow the rules, and you can write whatever you wish. No one is limiting you. It's no secret what the Writing Guidelines do not allow. If that doesn't sit well with you, other sites are less restrictive.

And on a side note, the admins have been deleting things for the last decade; it may not have been as noticeable up until a week ago, but it has occurred. People speak as if the admins have been completely absent for ten years.

6/6/2012 #13
Eivexst

Wow I never knew that, I mean it I never knew.

6/6/2012 #14
Rago Dragovian

Admins deleted accounts that hadn't been used in years. They didn't try to delete everything that was deemed 'inappropriate'. Stop trying to misdirect and lie to people.

6/6/2012 #15
Silver-hair Angel

Admins deleted accounts that hadn't been used in years. They didn't try to delete everything that was deemed 'inappropriate'. Stop trying to misdirect and lie to people.

Not lying; not misdirecting anyone. Accounts have not been deleted as much as the stories have, and the accounts would only be deleted if inactive for a very long time or several infractions were committed by the same account. The proof is sitting in a couple of forums on the general page that the admins have deleted stories over the last ten years, despite these angry authors saying otherwise. And it may be difficult for them to delete every rule-breaking story at once. Plus, we have the report abuse function to aid the admins.

By the way, I think you should tone down how you are replying to certain people. Claiming that people are 'showing ignorance', 'lying,' etc. It adds nothing substantial to the conversation.

6/6/2012 . Edited 6/6/2012 #16
thelastpen

You know, I don't think you actually know what you're talking about, Rago. Stories and accounts have been being deleted for reported TOS violations since at least 2001 when I first became a member of this site. No they often don't respond right away, but when they do they take care of several at once. It's not misdirection or lying to point out this has been occurring.

Also, if they were going to delete accounts that haven't been used in years, better than half of the accounts on this site would be gone. Including the one I used in 2001 that I haven't updated since 2003.

6/6/2012 #17
Eivexst

Yeah still a noob here can some body explain what a TOS is exactly? (looks down in embarrasment)

6/6/2012 #18
Cthreen

TOS = Terms of Service. There's a link at the very bottom of every page on FF.Net.

6/6/2012 #19
thelastpen

TOS means Terms Of Service. If you post a fic, you are supposed to read and you have to agree to them before you can post.

6/6/2012 #20
icyvampire123

For your information, I did read the rules, below in the box under this post, unless there is another rule page, in which case I was unaware and do apologize and will fix it if you'll tell me what I need to do.

And I would have more respect for the rules of the fanfiction mods if they were ever bothered to uphold them before this point. Years went by where there was no action on their part to do anything to uphold their rules. I've reported stories before for plagiarism or for other things. Never recieved any response or action on their part and it was more or less left up to the users of FFnet to police the site themselves, though it didn't do much good since obviously, plagiarists and MA stories still are on the site and have been for years.

If the FFnet mods truly cared about protecting the site and making sure the FFnet community was satisfied and safe, they would have stepped in long before this. I don't know what has gotten into them, but it is ridiculous now fo them to step in and attempt to remove the THOUSANDS of stories, that are beatifully written. To me, it would just make things much easier if they would simply add an MA rating to their site. They can add an age filter or other such things insure safety.

6/6/2012 #21
The Neo-Archivist

I sense that part of this issue may surround some anger towards the mods.

6/6/2012 #22
Birdy Main

I try to ignore that part. Personally, I just want this resolved so people can get back to writing. I've noticed a lack of updates since this issue has come into notice.

6/6/2012 #23
icyvampire123

Definetly. I won't deny that I am a little angry with the mods for not taking action sooner. I think of it sort of like an absent parent who walks out on you at two and comes back ten years later, throwing in all these rules and expecting you to abide by them.

6/6/2012 #24
Silver-hair Angel

And I would have more respect for the rules of the fanfiction mods if they were ever bothered to uphold them before this point. Years went by where there was no action on their part to do anything to uphold their rules. I've reported stories before for plagiarism or for other things. Never recieved any response or action on their part and it was more or less left up to the users of FFnet to police the site themselves, though it didn't do much good since obviously, plagiarists and MA stories still are on the site and have been for years.

It's not that the mods have been nonexistent the last few years; they have not been consistent with the enforcement. And there is a difference between the two. Stories have been removed before this purge nonsense. Perhaps not the stories you've noticed and probably not on such a wide scale, but it has been occurring.

I will say that the admins need to do a better job enforcing the Writing Guidelines. I strongly agree with that. But this is not the complaint I'm hearing. I'm hearing that they've done nothing over the last decade, which is simply not true.

I think of it sort of like an absent parent who walks out on you at two and comes back ten years later, throwing in all these rules and expecting you to abide by them.

Writing Guidelines have been virtually the same since I've been here; that has been since 2003. These aren't new rules. People have refused to follow them and the admins have been slacking in regards to removing every single story. But the Writing Guidelines aren't sudden developments.

6/6/2012 . Edited 6/6/2012 #25
Eivexst

Ok I just got back thank you Cthreen and Thelastpen for explaining really it means alot.

(toothy grin)

6/6/2012 #26
thelastpen

-- Welcome to WA! Read First: Rules and List of Interesting Topics -- It's a pinned post. It's on the first page. It's pretty hard to miss and has been referenced multiple times in the last couple days. That's kinda why you need to pay attention and read a forum's pinned topics before posting.

The rules have been being upheld the entire time. However there is so much activity on this site that the admin is forced to rely on reports to do anything. Right now is just a high level of action on those reports. It's not persecution or intimidation or trying to shove people out. It's just the admin doing an update and responding the the backlog of reports at the same time. These runs of deletion of TOS violating fics happen pretty regularly actually. Just because most people don't notice doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

The administration for FFN does not have this site as their sole responsibility. They have lives and very likely other jobs. These things take priority. Being so damn upset about abuse report backlogs being taken care of in large chunks is really pointless.

And by the way, there was an age filter until September of 2002 when NC-17 fics were forbidden. When I joined in 2001 the site was also age restricted to 18 plus. Yes, it was an open secret that people regularly lied about their age to get in, but the administration decided to officially open it up to more people and lower the age limit to 13 and up around 2002 and soon after NC-17 fics went away.

End of the day, this is a privately owned site and all content is at the administration's discresion. As long as the admin doesn't want MA content, there will not be MA content permitted via the TOS. If you want to write and post MA fics without violating the TOS and risking deletion, there is LiveJournal, InsaneJournal, DeadJournal, Dreamwidth, Archive Of Our Own, YourFanfiction, and other sites. You do not have to stay here if the TOS bothers you. This is not a monopoly. There are other options.

6/6/2012 #27
Eivexst

I think we all know that but I can't post any stories yet any way I have to wait untill tommorow so I think that the people on this forum I can consider friends that Ok every one?

6/6/2012 #28
icyvampire123

This is my first time posting on this forum, or any forum for that matter, so please excuse me for being unfamiliar with how things work, that was my mistake.

And the rules most certainly have NOT been upheld. If they were, this would not be a problem now would it? And reports have been filed, multiple times, by not just me but countless other members, wither it be for plagiarism or inappropriate content. NOTHING has been done, no replies were recieved and no action was ever taken. And I'm sure the mods are busy people, but it isn't that difficult to delete a story, obviously, since it seems to be all they're doing now.

And I am aware that there was at one time an age filter. Would it truly be so hard to reinstall that? Leave all other ratings open to anyone and filter MA stories? Certainly no more difficult than this new image manager, which to me is completely useless.

And I do understand that this is a privately owned site which gives them the right to accept or deny things and do as they wish. Which is why I am participating in a peaceful petition that will hopefully convey to them what their members want. It is not harmful to the mods and it is not disorderly. A simple petition to get our feelings across. Wither or not the mods choose to listen, is up to them. I do hope they will though. If not, I suppose I'll be packing up my stories and moving elsewhere. But until then, I will continue to protest this new purge.

6/6/2012 #29
JbstormburstADV

If anything, I may be relatively new compared to some people, but TBH, following TOS isn't the problem. The issue right now is that the TOS needs to fit the audience.

As a number of us who are saavy to this issue know, before 2002, FF.net had a filter for Rated: MA content. This filter, in part, required a 18-year old age restriction (from what i've heard) and limited membership on the site.

In this present age, FF.net currently is peaking at a membership of over... - I actually can't find a number, but whatever - and now, the MA rating (or rather, NC-17 if you ran by the OLD ratings book) has been missing for 10 years. Occasionally, there was clear action made on violations, but until present, it was almost transient. Now, writers are frightened everywhere because a LOT of good stories (fujin of shadow's Fate's Debt [already deleted] and Bloody Wind, JPMod's The Lady in Red and Unexpected Love, a good number of the fics by werewolf242002 and Genki Collective, etc.), could become losses that would devastate a good number of fans, including myself, and in reaction, authors are already redacting content or are just awaiting with baited breath and the metaphoric suitcase. And admittedly, there are no other real alternatives for as wide an audience as is possbile here.

And as you can notice from my selection, not only am I pointing out one-offs, but sagas. Do you know how much effort has to be put into a saga at the level of some of FF.net's holy grails? A number of important sagas would likely go kaput if the TOS is enforced. And as a fan of a number of long-length stories, I would be appalled to learn if this went through.

Therefore, I wish to state my stance in that there should be a movement to persuade the moderation to add provisions to allow the MA-rating. Already, advertising is not present when viewing any M-rated stories so a similar provision for MA will be sufficient. Even with that, there will hardly be a loss in advertising profits because almost all of the stories that would move to MA are alrwady rated M. In addition, adding more stringent age verification requirements, especially if a dual-layered system is achieveable, is certainly another precaution that will eliminate the staffs' likely concerns, as beyond that and forcing login to view MA filter options, the responsibility should belong to the parents, and if parents bring up a fuss about it, cite Ashcroft v. ACLU, as the contested law, COPA, also dealt with writings in a similar manner.

And if anything else is brought up regarding legality, I'd like to mention that a contract can be voided in court if the terms are found to violate the constitutional rights, and since the TOS is a contract.. I wonder if some adventurous soul may try something similar. And if someone wonders whether the contents of this site is actually legal, I'm certain this falls under the defense of Title 17 USC 107 under the "parody" guideline. Just mentioning...

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Monotonehell, Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member