Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
thelastpen

So how much longer until Rago's trolling gets this thread locked I wonder.

6/7/2012 #91
Rago Dragovian

You realize I didn't name the person, right? I'm still within my forum rights under those terms.

Oh, and another thing. If you both don't like what I say then ignore me, report me, and stop acting as if your actions are totally innocent when you scorning me constitutes the same rule breaking that you're accusing me of. K,thx, later.

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #92
Birdy Main

Then simply report them. Simple as that. Stop responding and encouraging. It only makes you just as bad.

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #93
Cthreen

@Rago

You do realize that "General - For anything else that doesn't fit into the other categories. " is part of Writers Anonymous Forum Rules, not CU forum rules?

Different Forums have different rules.

6/7/2012 #94
Canisse

The chat is meant:

For everything else not related to a particular thread

And there is a complain thread.

Also, I think I'm going to stop posting here, because you're clearly not listening to any arguments that go against what your beliefs. Here's to hoping you won't be trolling any other thread.

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #95
Rago Dragovian

You hit it on the nail, birdy! I do not think I've broken the rules, at all, since this is a general chat under Anonymous rules.

6/7/2012 #96
Birdy Main

best serious faceNow just what does this serious face look like? . . . Talking about writing, now I'm curious on just how you'd portray a serious face in writing. How people would differ I mean.

*cough* Was talking about you Rago.

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #97
Zias

Naming another organization/forum/website still falls under naming and shaming. This is not the place to complain about the rules of another forum.

6/7/2012 #98
Rago Dragovian

Cthreen, Cariene, yes. I do. General chat was still full of complaints and it was for general chat in the Critics United forum. Ergo, I didn't break any rules the second time. Are YOU listening to what you're saying? Your arguments lack consistency.

6/7/2012 #99
Rago Dragovian

@Zias. Nope.

Public pillory or naming and shaming posts. If someone did something to you (flaming for instance) you can talk about it here in general terms to get it off your chest or to get advice on how to handle it. Don't mention names. The accused party has the right to defend themselves, which they can't if they're not a visitor of this forum as well. That would make it look like we were talking behind their back. Besides, wouldn't you feel stupid if you found out you had falsely accused someone?

6/7/2012 #100
Lord Kelvin

I hold the opinion that Rago is harassing this forum.

6/7/2012 #101
Rago Dragovian

I hold the opinion that you've consistently harassed and tried to egg me on, Kelvin. In the interest of fairness, we should both, then, be banned forever. :)

6/7/2012 #102
thelastpen

I hold the opinion that I've reported him to the admins. So, we'll see what happens.

6/7/2012 #103
Cthreen

@Rago: It isn't general chat because it's criticism of CU. They have a thread just for that. I'll admit my arguments lack consistency; that's because I'm trying to figure out what exactly I'm arguing against. It's hard to hit a moving target.

6/7/2012 #104
Lord Kelvin

I hold the opinion that I've reported him to the admins.

The forum admins or the admin admins? I could never figure out whether in-forum reports reach the admin admins.

Edit: Oh, right, they updated the button. Thanks!

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #105
thelastpen

Forum. They're the ones who can ban people from a forum after all.

6/7/2012 #106
Birdy Main

Yay, actually says it right there when you're reporting someone. Though I wonder if it makes it just to the specific forum mods your in.

6/7/2012 #107
Rago Dragovian

That's EXACTLY the point Cthreen. There was no reason to delete the second post. It made no sense given the context and where I put it especially with the other criticisms which are clearly still there. It's inconsistent rules that hurt people. If anything, the 'rule' I broke the 'second' time was semantics that didn't even exist until I posted that response. Furhtermore, it's completely unfair to say 'I warned you' when 'warning' translates to permanent banning. That makes no sense.

Rules are not always right and they're not always good.

6/7/2012 #108
Cthreen

Part of the problem is that the CU forum has been inundated with people trolling to complain about their stories being deleted. You don't see the posts because they're rapidly being deleted. The mod might have been rude, but that's understandable if he's spent the last hour on his computer deleting hate posts. You could try to do as he suggested and contact the guy he mentioned.

With that said, they can decide what goes in their forum and what doesn't. In fact, you could start up your own forum to protest the present purge of stories. You just have to keep the discussion civil, unlike all of the protest forums that start up that get banned.

6/7/2012 #109
Birdy Main

Oh, that's a wonderful idea, but I think it will actually cause more problem then solve.

6/7/2012 #110
Rago Dragovian

Ironically, my initial post was civil. I reposted it on the general topic. It wasn't really a complaint in that I was insulting or making fun of them I just asked them to tone it down because the way they were railroading all these fanfics seem to be leading to a system that'll just rid the M-rated fanfics altogether to remain 'family friendly'. Their warnings to people are often outlandish as well.

"This story has grammar errors and is therefore against the rules. Remove it, fix it, or I will ban you." Is really what it usually boils down to. You have to consider the kids and the secondary language users from different countries. They obviously do not.

There is also the very real, and very dangerous, legal ramifications of people who write less than savory comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSg73-EcHZg

Edit: Birdy, go youtube "I am a real American" and listen to the song. That's why. ;)

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #111
Nuadha

Frankly, I am at a loss to understand why people would dedicate their time to finding and reporting fanfics which they consider to break this site's Terms Of Service. It all seems so pointless.

6/7/2012 #112
Cthreen

First off, let's not post links to stuff in violation of copyright laws, even if it's on youtube.

I'm not defending harassment. If someone harasses you, report them. However, you seem to have a different idea of what harassment is than I do. Just making a negative or even insulting comment to someone is not yet harassment. There have been a few notable fanfiction authors who have been harassed. That doesn't mean any negative review you or anyone else gets is harassment. You cannot get into legal trouble for making one negative comment, especially when it is criticism of a posted work. At least in any country that maintains freedom of speech laws.

The problem with the M-rated fic issue is that most people seem to have an incorrect impression on what M-rated means. M-rated does not allow any explicit content according to FictionRatings.com (the rating system FF.Net uses.) It isn't about remaining family friendly. It's the abuse of using the M-rating to post MA-rated materials that will get the M-rating removed.

6/7/2012 #113
thelastpen

I'm at a loss as to why so many people seem to think that breaking the TOS to complain about enforcement of the TOS is such a good idea.

People, here's an example that might help. FFN is your parents' house. The administration is Mom and Dad (or whatever parenting arrangement you're familiar with). The TOS is the house rules. You and all the other account holders are the kids. Now, as kids, you probably aren't going to like all the rules. Find them restrictive or whatever. But it's still Mom and Dad's house and it's still their rules. If Mom and Dad say "no smoking in the house", even if all the kids sign a petition, it doesn't matter because it's not the kids' house. It's Mom and Dad's house. Now, if the kids decide they're tired of following Mom and Dad's rules in Mom and Dad's house they have the time-honored tradition of moving out.

You can make your own rules in your own house, but as long as you live under Mom and Dad's roof, you follow their rules.

6/7/2012 #114
Birdy Main

I don't think it really matters. I'm even noticing people moving to AO3 now.

6/7/2012 #115
Rago Dragovian

It's not a violation if it's News related. The news is given freely and this was a special BBC documentary on trolling and how it's now a legal crime.

Part of the problem comes from the fact there was one young British boy who read one comment on Facebook and committed suicide because of it. How do we know Critics United won't end-up potentially causing that same scenario with what they're doing? Even if they didn't mean to, even if the comment itself isn't unsavory, nobody would listen to them after the emotional gears start kicking in from people and news outlets get the story.

It has happened on Facebook with Britain. You don't know who is a child when you're responding to a comment on places such as this. It's not fair but the law in Britain is the law. It's real. We can't just pretend and wishfully say 'it couldn't possibly happen here' if you have a community dedicated to demoralizing people.

M-rated fics will ALWAYS be a problem with child viewers. But honestly, it's because parents don't want to be held accountable for their kids. Why else do we have these policies regarding the summaries of fanfics? I don't get why the Site Admin doesn't just put a disclaimer in place but the fact is kids aren't monitor-able online if the parents don't watch their kids.

Now, add the demoralizing force I've been arguing against. This IS a problem and it SHOULD be addressed. This extremism on rules and 'bluntness' from said community has to stop or else we might get a media circus.

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #116
Cthreen

Copyright still applies to news media. Here in the US, for instance, most news stations have ads. I don't know the relationship between BBC and the UK public, but that doesn't mean that what applies to all UK citizens applies to non-citizen.

As I said, I'm not defending harassment. If you see it, report it.

I don't know what policies on summaries that you're talking about. While it is the responsibility of parents to protect their children, it is also the legal responsibility of a service provider to prevent minors from seeing explicit content. We've been over this. You may disagree with the law, but it's the law. You can write to legislators in the US if you think it should be changed.

The extremism on rules will not lead to a media circus. FF.Net is no worse than several forums I've been to. When you post a story on FF.Net, you agree to the TOS. This is a legal agreement.

6/7/2012 #117
Rago Dragovian

The point being that it'll be bad if CU continues on their warpath with their less than savory and demeaning comments. As far as BBC, news media is for worldwide distribution on the internet. It is not copyright infringement, that's absolutely ridiculous and even news outlets would disagree... considering they're the ones distributing and that they desire for documentaries to go viral nowadays. The BBC special was non-profit and aired on television so people would be made aware of the law that I'm talking about. Anyway, it needs to be stopped. Website rules like the TOS are one thing. Breaking a national law is something else entirely. Please consider the perspective here and the damaging consequences of what can happen.

6/7/2012 #118
Silver-hair Angel

That's EXACTLY the point Cthreen. There was no reason to delete the second post. It made no sense given the context and where I put it especially with the other criticisms which are clearly still there. It's inconsistent rules that hurt people. If anything, the 'rule' I broke the 'second' time was semantics that didn't even exist until I posted that response. Furhtermore, it's completely unfair to say 'I warned you' when 'warning' translates to permanent banning. That makes no sense. Rules are not always right and they're not always good.

Now I'm confused; are you complaining about the forum admins now? Your rant was misplaced and it was deleted.

Part of the problem comes from the fact there was one young British boy who read one comment on Facebook and committed suicide because of it. How do we know Critics United won't end-up potentially causing that same scenario with what they're doing?

Critics United isn't forcing a gun to anyone's head or anything. If a person chooses to follow that route...it's unfortunate, but that person is fully accountable for taking his or her life.

Even if they didn't mean to, even if the comment itself isn't unsavory, nobody would listen to them after the emotional gears start kicking in from people and news outlets get the story.

You see, short of coercing a person into suicide, Critics United is likely not to be blamed for a person taking his or her own life. And the way I feel, comments left on a little fan-fiction forum should not be enough for anyone to take away such a precious gift. And other factors would have to be considered if a person did that under duress. It's not just one trigger.

6/7/2012 . Edited 6/7/2012 #119
Rago Dragovian

Tell that to countries now enacting anti-trolling laws, not me.

6/7/2012 #120
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Monotonehell, Rowena DeVandal, Maryilee, ODST-127, cathrl, AbCarter
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member