Writers Anonymous
Writers, come in. Talk about your stories, problems, any advice you need, critique, etc. You don't have to be good, you just need to want to write! Fanfic or original fic writers, all are welcome. Read the rules before posting or risk Rhea's displeasure.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
quwelli

As it's meant to be for fun only, it's fine if you answer only a few (or even one) question.

1. When did you read your first fan fiction?

2. When did you write your first fan fiction?

3. Does the forum/archive you posted your first story on still exist?

4. Do you still write for that fandom, or have you moved on?

5. If you've written for more than one fandom, did the same elements draw you in to each one?

6. If you're reading, what makes a story engaging?

7. If you're reading, what makes you abandon a story?

8. As a writer, what inspires you most?

9. As a writer, what, if anything, saps your enthusiasm?

6/11/2012 . Edited 6/11/2012 #1
flawsmadebeautiful

1) I read my first fanfic in 2009. I stumbled across it when I was looking for screenshots of my first fandom.

2) I wrote my first fanfic in the end of 2010. I got my account on the Christmas of 2010, and posted a few days after.

3) Yes, the archive still exists. But I took down the first story a while ago.

4) No, but I still watch the sequel to the fandom. My fandom was Avatar: The Last Airbender. Now I watch Legend of Korra and I will be writing something for that. So technically it's not Avatar, but it's still in the ATLA world.

5) I think it was the romance. The idea of how they could fall in love.

6) I think romance makes a story engaging. So do twists, humor and unique styles of writing. It's also more fun to read if the story has good spelling and relatively good grammar.

7) Mary Sues make me abandon a story. I also don't like it when they change something permanent about a character like personality or hair color.

8) I think magic in Harry Potter, and the Marauders inspire me.

9) Usually flamers. More so when the flamer is degrading something that I worked really hard on and everyone else likes. It irritates me more than saps my enthusiasm. Usually I'm less enthusiastic when the only thing people say is "Update! Update!" because it's like they don't care about what I wrote, they just want me to write more.

6/11/2012 #2
Fliers

1. I read my first fanfic in 2004.

2. I wrote my first fanfic in 2005.

3. Well, I posted it on FF.net, but I deleted it because it was awful ahah.

4. No, I don't write for that fandom anymore.

5. Nope. Pretty different elements I think. For Vocaloid I guess it would mostly be character designs...it's sort of 'shallow'. Other fandoms though...most important elements would be how engaging I thought the characters were, and the world too.

6. A good story that's not too predictable, or good writing (as in, technically good, with a good style, etc. This is the most important part for me actually, I even read fics for fandoms I've never even heard of, are especially interested in, or know anything about if the quality of writing is exceptional), or, for lack of a better word, being 'charming'. Or something like that.

7. If it takes too long to update I usually lose interest because I forget what happened. If OOCness starts to creep in, or the writing takes a nosedive, I stop too. I don't really abandon stories though.

8. Er, music I guess.

9. Oh wow I really can't say. I guess if no one likes a fic I get kind of down. My basic philosophy when it comes to reception of my fics is that, as long as at least one person liked it, then I'm happy.

6/11/2012 #3
xSweetBubbleTeax

1. I read my first fanfiction in 2004 I believe. I was looking for Dragonball Z stories to read, and I discovered one that got me interested in it but I can't remember what the name of it was.

2. My first fanfiction? Around the same year 2004-2005 I think, but I didn't have any fanfiction website accounts at the time. I used to only write fanfiction's on paper.

3. Oh yes for Dragonball Z? There are MANY Dragonball Z fanfiction's and forums still exisiting.

4. I write for it every now and then, Dragonball Z was my first anime cartoon so it kind of has a special place in my heart

5. Yeah the storylines are all very interesting in my fandoms, the character's and how it's written.

6. For me it's the plot mostly. If the plots good I'll read it and keep on reading it 'till the end.

7. Mostly if the character's are too boring or if the plot gets WAY too crazy with random stuff filled in and doesn't even go with the story.

8. Me? Personally the people around me like my family/friends, and my readers/subscriber's in many ways to keep me going.

9. For me if my enthusiasm is gone, I just take a break for awhile then after a few weeks or days I'll get back into it again I blame writer's block for my lack of enthusiasm at times -_-

6/11/2012 #4
sweet775

1. Spring of 2003.

2. Spring of 2003.

3. Yes.

4. No, long since moved on.

5. Not really. The first was just for fun, the second was getting out all my Mary Sue-incomprehensible plot-random humour issues, the third to develop style and because I found a community of fun writers, the fourth to try out one cool idea, and the fifth because I can't stop thinking about it.

6. Interesting characters, exploration of dynamics between them.

7. Lack of plausibility.

8. Music. Usually one specific song per fic or chapter or series of chapters. (I also have a bad habit of only writing when I DON'T have time to!)

9. Coming up against an obstacle in plot, etc. Very difficult to overcome!

6/11/2012 #5
Miss Shad

1. Late 2004.

2. Mid-2005.

3. Yes.

4. It was a crossover, and I've pretty much moved on from both fandoms involved.

5. Not really; I tend to write in different fandoms for different reasons.

6. An imaginative and/or interesting plot.

7. A plot that's just a thinly veiled excuse for sex.

8. Life.

9. When I can't get things to fit together the way I want them to.

6/11/2012 #6
April Dawn Irene

I believe I was about twelve or thirteen. It was a Power Rangers fan fiction called Silent Green.

Shortly after I read Silent Green I got an idea for an X-Men: Evolution fanfiction.

It was uploaded to a personal site made with GeoCities. Unfortunately the site no longer exists but I believe I have a copy of what was written somewhere and if not, I know someone who probably does still have it archived.

I don't currently write for X-Men anymore but I have considered revamping my original ideas and creating something far more complicated than my original ideas were.

5. If you've written for more than one fandom, did the same elements draw you in to each one?

In almost every fandom that I have written for, I have sensed that there was something missing that needed to be written. I suppose you could say that the missing something is the element that draws me in.

I want to feel what the character feels and be able to imagine myself where they are doing what they are doing.

One surefire way to turn me off of reading something is to have blatant issues with spelling, grammar, punctuation, and so on. Those things are very important to making something readable and if it's going to give me a headache or kill my brain cells to continue reading, I'm not going to read anymore and I will tell the author why.

I'm not really sure. Sometimes inspiration comes out of nowhere, while other times I dream up something and realize that hey, that dream had a great idea. Other times, there will be one little detail in a fandom that just screams "Elaborate please!" and then I just go from there.

My biggest enthusiasm thief would be my own brain/body chemistry. I have Bipolar Disorder and have struggled with it for years. Second on that list would be going back to something I've written and realizing that it sounds completely stupid or is somehow rushed in a way I didn't think it was before.

6/11/2012 . Edited 6/16/2012 #7
Ventisquear

1. January 2011. Before that, I didn't even know fanfiction existed.

2. January 2011. :) It's very simple – I got the game Dragon Age for Christmas, became so obsessed with Zevran I wrote a story about it and then I decided to find out if there are other people who loved it as much as I do.

3. Yes. It's FFN. :)

4. Still write the same story, in fact – it now has 19 chapters and 124 000 words. Plus And I have 21 other stories, most of them in the same universe.

5. I don't write for other fandoms, but I (sometimes) read other fandoms, like LotR. I used to read much more, but last few months I have hardly enough time to live, let alone read fanfiction. Currently I read only few stories I really like, or stories my favourite authors recommend.

6. Good characters that think, talk, feel and behave as real people. Good dialogue. Intelligent humour. Nice style, where the author paints with words. And where I feel the author knows what and why he's doing and puts a lot of effort into it.

7. Characters that are more cartoon caricatures that have only once central trait, and always react in the same way. Crude jokes. Bland, unimaginative style full of simple words, where I have feeling that the author simply chose the first word, without putting much effort into making it sound good or beautiful. Cliches and predictable things at all levels.

8. People. Each person is a vault of stories. :)

9. If nobody would like what I write.

6/12/2012 . Edited 6/12/2012 #8
The Lauderdale

1996. I had just figured out what search engines are for, and I went looking for Darkwing Duck. I found The Negapage: (This means the first fic I read was "Shadow Stepping," by Kim McFarland.)

I first started writing a fic in either 1996 or 1997. It wasn't bad, but it got to about thirty pages before I realized that it didn't have a plot and I had no idea where it was going. I never finished it, and I never posted it. Although now that I think about it, I wrote fan poetry earlier than that, like some goofy poems about Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, and a Redwall poem for a little kid I babysat. That would have been around 1994 or '95.

The first story I actually finished was a romance about a friend's fan character. It was on her personal web site, which no longer exists. (But I went looking just now, and I can find it via the Wayback Machine, along with all of the stories that were on it. Wild horses could not drag the secret from me.)

I'm completely inactive in DW fandom, but I never like to say I've left forever. I did make a stab at writing a DW fic in 2009 about an old original character of mine, The Voice, that I still like to think about finishing some day.

I'm drawn to villains. They are my common denominator.

[makes a face] It depends. Good prose and good characterization, erring on the latter.

These days, it's my own personal apathy. I've gotten a lot slower on my reading in general.

If I can produce a page of writing and think, "Hey, that's good!" I get inspired.

Writing and writing without anything gelling.

6/12/2012 . Edited 6/12/2012 #9
Kierany9

Anything I put in front of a dash(-) is not a real answer, and put it up for a laugh

About a year ago

-Yesterday afternoon

A month ago

-Yesterday evening

Yup

-No

Still writing my first story

-Moved on

Yep

-Yep

Action, humour and a good, complex plot.

-HAWT LEMONY BAWTS3X

Fluff, lack of plot and Mary Sues/Gary Stus

-Plot that takes more than a minute to understand

Music

-Something I watched last night

Few hits/reviews. These keep me fuelled up and keep me inspired.

-That fic with 10 times more reviews than mine, and only half the length

6/12/2012 #10
The Lauderdale

Action, humour and a good, complex plot.

-HAWT LEMONY BAWTS3X

[amused] I read that as bot sex and immediately thought of Megatron/Starscream.

6/12/2012 #11
cathrl

Oh gosh. 1978. I think. Might have been 1977.

I don't believe any fanfic forums or archives existed then :) I no longer have a copy of that story (though I do still have the ones from the mid 1980s, hand written in ring binders).

Believe it or not, I still write for that fandom.

Pretty much, yes. Action/adventure with a small team and a hint of science fiction.

Characters who I care about.

You can probably guess this one - characters who I don't care about. With a side helping of laughably inaccurate science presented as being "real" (yup, Dan Brown, I'm looking at you).

I really don't know. I just like writing.

People who casually assume my writing's crap because it's any/all of fanfiction, science fiction, not M rated, not romance, and not in a trendy fandom.

6/12/2012 #12
spout

1.) When did you read your first fan fiction?

Hard to say. I was around fourteen, so it was about two years ago.

2.) When did you write your first fan fiction?

Early 2011. I wrote something before that, but it was unpublished and I've since trashed it.

3.) Does the forum/archive you posted your first story on still exist?

It was posted on this site, so yeah. I would imagine. Hopefully.

4.) Do you still write for that fandom, or have you moved on?

I'm slowly moving on to other fandoms, but I still write for it occasionally.

5.) If you've written for more than one fandom, did the same elements draw you in to each one?

Admittedly, I do enjoy shows with a lot of slash potential. But a little bit of action and mystery never hurt anyone, either.

6.) If you're reading, what makes a story engaging?

I like a story with minimalist description that still paints a vivid picture. Frankly speaking, that's the mark of a good author.

7.) If you're reading, what makes you abandon a story?

If anyone uses Japanese words or honorifics (-san or -chan come to mind) in a situation that doesn't immediately call for it, I'm gone. For that matter, if someone ever uses cliche words like 'chocolate' 'emerald' 'sapphire' or 'midnight' to describe someone's eyes, I gag.

8.) As a writer, what inspires you most?

Other writers. And the praise is nice too, of course.

9.) As a writer, what, if anything, saps your enthusiasm?

Deadlines. That is all.

6/12/2012 #13
thelastpen

When I realized it was fanfic or not? Realized, in the 90s. Unaware, 80s. After all, a lot of high fantasy could be said to be LotR fanfics. :p

Some time in the mid 90s. Didn't publish until 2000 though.

The first time I published it? No, I don't think so. But I published it here in 2001.

Oh god no. I moved on long ago. Not that the people who clamor for updates on fics that haven't been updated since 2003 would notice.

I suppose, but I'm being really general when I say that.

An interesting premise and good execution of said premise. Good plotting/pacing and characterization.

Really bad grammar. Lack of paragraphs in a fic (wordwall turns me right off). OOC characters. Can't stress that enough. Especially when the characters are inconsistent from the beginning of the fic to the end. (Not that the current canon I write for is capable of that.)

Hmm. It depends. Sometimes it's something I overhear in a restaurant or a scene from a tv show or movie. Sometimes it's a phrase or a piece of music. Just depends on the story.

People demanding my stories go a certain direction. It's just annoying. But honestly, that just saps my enthusiasm for publishing it, not writing.

6/12/2012 . Edited 6/12/2012 #14
Raichu

Around 2002, after I got the idea of searching the internet for it.

Around 2001, on paper. I typed it up later

If you count my website, that focuses mostly on fan fiction, then yes but I had to move it to another URL. Apart from that, then yes: fanfiction.net.

Yes. I would have liked to write for others, but I just haven't had the inspiration.

N/A

Suspense, realistic characters, interesting and non-predictable plot, originality, plausibility, author's understanding of the canon world/characters.

The opposite of the above. Bad spelling, minor flaws &c annoy me but won't make me abandon a story. Having a story that doesn't grip me straight away, unrealistic characters, implausible plot, &c will.

My emotions. I need to feel something to be able to write.

Realizing a plot won't work. Practically anything that distracts me, like having to go to work, having to go to bed.

6/12/2012 #15
Kanarah J

Wow...probably elementary school. Friends and whatnot wrote stories for various shows we enjoyed (usually Pokemon). I didn't start reading here until around 2001...I think.

Hmm, I didn't write fanfiction with any degree of seriousness until I put my first post up here in 2005. Before that, I wrote a lot of fanfiction, but it shall remain buried in the bowels of my childhood papers, never to be seen by human eyes again.

Yup. I posted my first fanfic here on FF.n, and it's still here...unfortunately. I keep it around to remind myself how far I've come.

I still write for that fandom, but I have also branched off to others.

This is a really good question! I write for many fandoms, but I've only posted for Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XII. For those two fandoms, naturally the characters themselves drew me into writing, but the characters are painted so differently in each fandom that the appeal to them was completely different. For Kingdom hearts, I felt compelled to use the characters' already strong personality types in AU works, while FFXII had such ambiguity and complexity that I was drawn to write about them in their own setting, if that makes sense.

Realistic characters and dialogue are hugely important to me. I can overlook many things if the characters are believable. I also like to feel some kind of emotion. If I can feel sympathetic towards a character, or laugh at some witty dialogue, then I'm sold!

Other than disrupting the character's personality, a strange curve ball to the flow of things can make me abandon a story. I've seen things way out of left field in terms of plot, and that can ruin a story for me. I've seen this happen a lot when authors take a hiatus from their work, then come back to it with the hope of "breathing life" into their stories.

The characters I intend to write about -- and this goes for both fanfiction and original work. My plot and character interactions seem to invent themselves simultaneously, so I look to those characters to propel me forward.

Time. I sit down to write, and then I'm immediately distracted by other wiles of the internet, music, family, etc. By the time I get back to what I initially sat down to write, I realize how late it's gotten and am no longer interested in writing. This happens so often that it's tragic.

6/12/2012 #16
Silver-hair Angel

Hmm. Same year, if I'm remembering. I didn't publish anything until early 2003, I think; and that was on this site.

Slightly confused by this question. If you mean the fandom, yes, it's alive and thriving. If you mean the site, yes; it's this one.

Still do.

Yes. I'm fond of fantasy; but I also felt connected to the characters in these fandoms.

If I care about what's going on in the story and if it makes sense in my head.

If it's poorly written; if I am completely uninterested in the plot or the characters; if it focuses too much on plot devices instead of the actual plot.

Anything and everything, really.

Myself. I tend to be lazy sometimes, and actually starting up a story can be difficult for me. I end up going through many rewrites.

6/12/2012 #17
Lux Hart

1. When did you read your first fan fiction? I guess that it would have been around 2006.

2. When did you write your first fan fiction? It was probably 2009 - when I began an account here. Though there's also a chance it was earlier; I had a fanfic written before I had an account here...so still, probably early/mid '09.

3. Does the forum/archive you posted your first story on still exist? It was Fictionpress, so yes.

4. Do you still write for that fandom, or have you moved on? I no longer write for it.

5. If you've written for more than one fandom, did the same elements draw you in to each one? The characters drew me to the fandom, so yes. But different things about each character drew me in.

6. If you're reading, what makes a story engaging? In fan-fiction, it really needs to have the character's voices for me to find it enjoyable.

7. If you're reading, what makes you abandon a story? When I can't engage with the characters.

8. As a writer, what inspires you most? In fan-fiction, it's the fandoms; episodes that really make me think.

9. As a writer, what, if anything, saps your enthusiasm? Sometimes I will see a wonderful piece of work and just realise how much I suck, lol.

6/12/2012 #18
Tune4Toons

October 2011

11/11/11 (convenient, huh?)

3. Does your forum/archive you posted on still exist?

Still active, but not the same as back then, and "back then" ain't even that long ago…

Sorta. It's one of those moments where you're half-moved, but you still go back to the old archive once in a while.

Yeah, the endless possibilities of the kind of situations you can place the characters through, setting of your creation.

That hint of mystery that makes you think, the action that hooks you in for the ride, and/or the deep emotions brought forth from the story.

Too much grammar/syntax errors as basics. Bad formatting. Dull/cliché plot line. Mary Sues/character bias. Too random.

You know, the works.

8. As a writer, what inspires you the most?

The people I base characterizations on, event in life, and knowing someone's willing to read it and tell me what they thought about it. Feels good to be heard.

If no one shows me that they're actually reading it, and not just clicking the back button after one sentence.

6/12/2012 #19
aruyo

Prose style. A lot of authors on this website, including myself, use the very comfortable and ordinary writing patterns that make a story very hard to get into. I like people who defy that, even if it's at the cost of their readership. Because really, it's not going to happen with me.

If I promise an update schedule to my reviewers on any chapter story, then the chances of the story following that schedule are roughly the same as you winning the lottery, being mauled by a bear, and then spontaneously turning into a unicorn all in the same day. Bam.

I would write more, but I feel like I lost you five sentences ago.

6/13/2012 #20
JadedPhoenixBurning

I read my first FF in early 2010

November of 2010

Yes though it has greatly changed since I first posted. Many of the writers that were on the fandom at the time are gone now.

Yes, I still write in the Dukes of Hazzard fandom but I have also started to write in the Sailor Moon fandom.

Sort of. It was the challenge to see if I could pull in a reader for both fandoms that drew me.

For me, plot-lines beyond the cliches.

It irks me when I see something that painfully goes against the canon. Hey, I'm a Virgo. I'm critical by nature. If your story has obvious OOCness then I'm turned off of the story pretty fast.

Being able to "Fix" life I guess you could say. In RL, it's hard to just haul off and make things "RIGHT" but in fiction you can be the master of your story's destiny.

Lack of reads. I know that reviews are the Holy Graile so to speak but when you see that traffic has stalled on a story it can make me question if I should even continue a story at all.

6/18/2012 . Edited 6/18/2012 #21
Corinne Tate

1. When did you read your first fan fiction? That was back in March of 2010

2. When did you write your first fan fiction? March of 2010 I'm not sure if I read anything before I wrote my first story. I just wanted to tell what I thought was a unique story. If I'd have read more, I would have been able to make my story stand out among the crowd, and I definitely wouldn't have posted fifteen page chapters.

3. Does the forum/archive you posted your first story on still exist? I started out here, and it was my daughter who introduced me to this site.

4. Do you still write for that fandom, or have you moved on? Yeah, even though I keep telling myself I need to stop; those pesky ideas won't stop.

5. If you've written for more than one fandom, did the same elements draw you in to each one? I write for Twilight, and I also write original work on fictionpress. I write like a schizophrenic. I don't like to write the same thing twice. I've written horror, romance, Bible devotions, fantasy, young adult, children's stories, and smut. I'm drawn by the story that wants to be told.

6. If you're reading, what makes a story engaging? I have to be able to believe it. Even if the characters think and behave different than I would, a good writer can make me believe it. I will read if the writer has a believable story that just has to be told. I'm not impressed by those who try to dazzle me with their artistry or vocabulary. Give me a clear story, with good characters, dialogue, plot, and some skill with mechanics.

7. If you're reading, what makes you abandon a story? Too much bad grammar and mechanics. Too much good detail for no reason. Writers trying to impress with their vocabulary; don't say esophagus when throat works. Too much fluff in romance -- one mention of love-at-first-sight, or "soul-mates" and I'm outta there. Too much retelling of what I already know happened. Unoriginal or cliche plots, weakly written. Poorly developed characters. Teen stories where the adults check out while the teens run wild Stories that come with a shopping list: where to find the dress she wore, the car he drove, the band they like... Canon works should keep the characters in character - that means in Twilight, no drinking, swearing, or casual sex.

8. As a writer, what inspires you most? I love to write. Reviews and affirmation are great, but I write even without those. I love when a story just sort of explodes in my mind, and I just have to write it down! Whether they're original stories or fan fictions, I'm driven by plots and characters -- mostly plots. Sometimes I'll get an idea, and it'll be fully formed from beginning to end, and I'll see exactly how I want to write it. It's magic -- it's like taking dictation from my muse. My muse likes chocolate and lattes by the way. In Twilight fandom, I write to fix what I've found to be wrong with the series. I give Bella a spine, and Edward a sense of humor and a history.

9. As a writer, what, if anything, saps your enthusiasm? Time constraints, noisy distractions, and too much other stuff to do. Computer glitches, and site changes cook my noodles too. And I've become quite adept at procrastinating and wasting time on the WA forum.

6/18/2012 #22
civilwarrose

1. When did you read your first fan fiction? - Probably around 2007 or 2008, I read mostly Harry Potter fics here, but didn't become a member until 2009.

2. When did you write your first fan fiction? September 2011

3. Does the forum/archive you posted your first story on still exist? Yes

4. Do you still write for that fandom, or have you moved on? Still writing for that fandom

5. If you've written for more than one fandom, did the same elements draw you in to each one? Not really.

6. If you're reading, what makes a story engaging? The characterization, the feeling of being drawn into the setting, and finding at least one character I can sympathize and identify with.

7. If you're reading, what makes you abandon a story? Characters I cannot relate to or identify with, who are just too perfect (i.e. Mary Sue), dull or no description, technical elements of the writing that are distracting and make it hard to read, like all quotations or a huge block of text with no breaks, or simple bad grammar.

8. As a writer, what inspires you most? The "world" of the fandoms I write for. Immersing yourself in that universe, picturing clearly the physical setting, and putting yourself in the shoes of the characters who live in it. Imagining things that the characters could be doing or feeling that will never be touched on in the original work, and fleshing out undeveloped, stereotyped characters from Disney animation into believable people with flaws and quirks.

9. As a writer, what, if anything, saps your enthusiasm Lack of feedback, not knowing if that many people are reading. And knowing how to improve. Concrit was the best feedback I got, because it let me know exactly what fell flat in my writing, and how to fix it.

6/18/2012 . Edited 6/18/2012 #23
Forum Moderators: Rhea Silverkeys Ragnelle, LMRaven, Maryilee, cathrl
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member