Mariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni's Salaries
Okay so, I love Mariska and Chris, but do they really deserve to be making 6.5mil when a real cop only makes about 25k a year? I don't think so but my brother was part of NYPD which may give me a bias, so I'm interested to hear what other people think.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
DanceInStyle
Okay so I said this in the summary, but basically this forum is for debating whether or not Mariska and Chris deserve to get a *seven* figure salary when the average cop makes about 25k (a real person doing the job they do would make closer to 45k, but still, a far cry from 6.5million). Again, as I said in the summary, my brother was a cop so I think I'm probably biased but I just can't see how its fair that someone who pretends to get henious criminals off the street and save peoples' lives should make so much more than someone who actually does it. So, that's where you guys come in- do you think its fair, if so, why? PS, its fine to debate the topic of unfair salaries in general (ie what a pro baseball player gets in comparison to a teacher) but if possible I'd like to keep it mostly related to SVU/Chris&Mariska because this is an SVU forum, so thanks for posting, etc.
4/17/2007 #1
Ebony-Jayne
i agree with you. i dont think it is fair for people playing make believe to earn that much more then the people who do the real thing. i think its really wrong actually.
11/4/2007 #2
ilovenascar
It is wrong, but look at what the pro athletes make as opposed to the teachers/coaches that had them in school. Acting is a talent just like sports. The truth is most celebrities (if not all) are paid far too much.
1/19/2008 #3
RizzoliIsles

But their not REAL cops so why should they make less or equal to a cop if what their doing is entertainment? They should be allowed to make that much money look at all that they do! SVU is one of the top tv shows its been around for soooo long it takes on issues that other shows...yes may present in a few shows but this shows its EVERY week your always learning something about domestic abuse, abuse, r***, EVERYTHING! They also bring in their lives to their shows known of them had a happy childhood all of them suffered from their own problems and are still dealing with them. When I go off into lala land wherever I sometimes think what would it be like to have them as parents? My life is no walk in the park either and Mariska and Chris give me almost a escape from my life. Who knows what their doing with that money too Mariska is involved in TWO organizations Christopher has two beautiful kids and also does charities I think they deserve the money and plus they only asked that much two yrs back so its not like they were asking for that much after the second season no they asked for it when the show was closer to two digits of running.

3/27/2008 #4
Orange Bulldog

Um, but their job is really nothing like a real cop's.

Would you argue that it's more okay for the actor who plays Casey Novak to make a lot of money, because she plays a lawyer? They have the same job.

If you want to argue that actors in general make a ridiculous amount of money, I will agree with you there but I don't think it's any more ridiculous for them than anyone else simply because their characters are cops.

4/23/2008 #5
RizzoliIsles

No, I agree their not real cops but what all of those actors do after realizing what happens on a daily basis its amazing! Their affected too just like the cops are they may not be real ones but yet they still put on the show they have to look at the pictures, videos, and hear desperate cries for help. Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni are two of my biggest heros in my life because of who they are and their not self-centered like other stars. There aren't constant pictures of them in the magazines like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt their low key compared to others and yet they still do so much for humanity. This show has showed me the kind of mother and the type of attorney I want to be. I dream of having Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni as parents because to me and how they display themselves their not the type of parents your afraid to tell stuff too you just do and they still accept you and want to help you. So I most definently support their pay salary!

4/23/2008 #6
Olyvia Jackson

I don't like that actors and actresses are paid so much when teachers, cops, firefighters, social service workers, people who actually WORK, don't get nearly what they deserve! I don't mind them getting paid well, but couple million is excessive.

9/19/2008 #7
TheGoddessPixie

How much do ball players, singers, or other entertainers make? I'm a military wife, so you know we're not rolling in money, but those who entertain us are always paid more than those who serve. Entertainers make more than cops, doctors, nurses, military, teachers.... and all jobs that serve the greater good. But we are willing to pay those who entertain us more money. That is a problem with society that we will not solve, its a fact of life. So do they deserve those saleries?

HECK YEAH!

~Pix~

5/29/2009 #8
TheGoddessPixie

How much do ball players, singers, or other entertainers make? I'm a military wife, so you know we're not rolling in money, but those who entertain us are always paid more than those who serve. Entertainers make more than cops, doctors, nurses, military, teachers.... and all jobs that serve the greater good. But we are willing to pay those who entertain us more money. That is a problem with society that we will not solve, its a fact of life. So do they deserve those saleries?

HECK YEAH!

~Pix~

5/29/2009 #9
RizzoliIsles

She's an actor!!! They get paid big money because their doing a job where you either succeed or fail! Your either going to be the guy playing a taxi driver or the guy who if he leaves the show will fail! Plus a lot of their money comes from reruns if their lawyers are smart enough to fight for that anytime a show airs they get profits! They entertain us and that's why they get paid the big bucks!

7/31/2009 #10
RizzoliIsles

Do you really think when Chris and Mariska were both just starting out that they demanded $6.5 million dollars right away? No! They knew that they had to climb the ladder and now they have and they deserve that amount of money!

7/31/2009 #11
Nautical Acronym

I agree, the salaries are not fair, but think of it this way: A Baseball Team goes out to have a game and the adoring fans follow spending around a hundred dollars a ticket. You multiply that by the number of seats in a stadium (a lot) and you figure that this team is able to create X amount of money because of their popularity. If a baseball team is particularly more popular than another you can charge more per seat creating a larger income. Taking off the money needed for stadium upkeep, managers salary and anything else you are still looking at a very fine figure. These people are paid big money because they GENERATE big money.

If your parents had to pay to go to parent/teacher night, would they bother?

Actors and Actresses are the same. Simply having their image or endorsement on a product can boost the sales of something quite markedly (look at Operah's book club) because they are known entities, and as awesome as I think my English Literature teacher is no one else would care what he recommended because no one knows his face.

It's sad, but true.

10/16/2009 #12
mariskarox44

I love Mariska Hargitay too bits and even she agrees that the salary they are getting shouldn't be more than what the people who actually do the job get. I think it would be pretty much impossible for all of the detectives to get seven figures, i mean where would the money come from? For entertainers, the money is through the stations that show the episode. But for police..... IDK what they would do.... I think that the Policie officers deserve more money but i see why Chris and Mariska are getting a whole lot more.

10/26/2010 #13
Seanait

It should be the other way around (teachers, police, etc get more money than entertainers), but we'll pay big bucks to see things that take us away from our reality. I mean ever pay the $6 to see Gigantor the Giant Horse or Hercules the Giant Pig?

12/6/2010 #14
VampirePrincess86

You guys cant compare proffessions. They are actors, actors have their own pay scale. Cops have their own pay scale(cops in my area start at 60k per year). Lawyers, electritions, teachers all have different pay scales. So why the debate on actors pay vs a cop pay? So you are saying that actors should only make what their role in real life makes?

3/2/2011 #15
c0ntxgious

I think it's pretty unfair that cops are so underpaid, but I don't think that Mariska and Chris should be paid any less. This like totally isn't anything to gun down your thoughts at all but I'm just giving you something to think about...

First off, their jobs require them to live in the most expensive place in the U.S. and the eighth most expensive place to live in the entire world. To have kids there and live in the city next to where they have to shoot SVU costs a ton.

If you think about it, they have a whole, whole lot of lines. And we get an episode every week, so just think of how many lines they have to learn each day. If they both have 100 lines in each episode, they'd have to memorize them all within just a few days because a few days are spent learning them and a few days are spent having to film them and act them out. I've been in a lot of plays and let me tell you, I've had months to study my lines and it still gets stressful sometimes. After they have finally gotten all these lines memorized, they have to act them out. They often have to fake-cry, run pretty fast, and get into fights that are difficult to create without actually hurting anybody.

Being famous also requires a lot of money. It literally requires a whole lot of money. When Mariska won an Emmy award and had to attend the Emmy Awards, she was expected to wear an expensive dress, expensive shoes, expensive jewelry, and have her hair done by an expensive hairstylist. She and Chris are always supposed to look very good and wear expensive articles, and they can't do that without a lot of money.

Being famous isn't really a dream come true. It must feel awful to go to a dinner and get rated on your outfit and your make-up. It also must not feel too great to have many of the things you say posted online and into newspapers and in PEOPLE magazines. I've seen many headlines that misconstrue things said by Mariska and Chris, and so maybe the money makes it worth it to have to put up with that kind of stuff.

I don't think that actors should make any less, but I really, really think that real cops should make just as much as actors, especially if they live in New York.

3/2/2011 #16
AngelWings8

Most cops are a***. There are too many of them. Most have no idea what they are doing. It's not exactly HARD to stomp around wearing a gun, a scowl plus a bad attitude, occasionally running after people, rarely in the actual line of fire.

Mariska n Chris are doing more for the victims of these crimes than most cops actually wind up doing in a lifetime.

5/13/2011 #17
Cena100
Well there acting that's what they get paid to do just because that got chosen to do that particular show doesn't mean they should get paid any less than someone else doing a show. They also get paid that much because IRS a highly rated show, and they have been doing it for a while now. But cops should still get paid more.
3/11/2012 #18
Cena100
Well there acting that's what they get paid to do just because that got chosen to do that particular show doesn't mean they should get paid any less than someone else doing a show. They also get paid that much because IRS a highly rated show, and they have been doing it for a while now. But cops should still get paid more.
3/11/2012 #19
Kira699

Given that this is 'actors vs the real thing' we have to take into consideration the 'city payscale' and how talented the actors are in portraying these characters that are so far removed from themselves. Example - Olivia intensely dislikes Trevor Langan and it shows on the series, yet she is married to him. Acting isn't easy, and having a harsh schedule makes like tougher for them. Real cops see the filth but most get to go home after a shift. It is really perspective related. The actors earn their money for sure, and they earn their injuries as I'm sure you are all aware of. Cops and other city employees are unfortunate in the crappy payrates, but most do it for the honor of protecting and serving.

3/16/2012 #20
Bensidy2306
I don't see why you are making a big deal over Mariska and Christopher making a lot of money. They are "actors & actress" so they get paid to do it. Plus they get paid every time an episode that they are in is aired.
6/20/2014 #21
Forum Moderators: DanceInStyle
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member