Dresden Files
To talk about the Dresden Files for Book or TV Series.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Artemis's Liege

As a whole, I really do enjoy Molly's character. Her issues with authority helped expanded her character, as did her goth persona upon her introduction. She seems to be a good person, and even though she used black magic, she honestly thought she was helping her friends.

But . . .

I suspect there's some sort of foreshadowing in "Small Favor" when Harry tells Charity that Molly isn't likely to be a combat wizard. Does anyone else suspect that Molly might be killed off in a later book?

6/21/2010 #1

Well I'm all up to date and waiting for Ghost Story, and she hasn't died yet. I don't think she will anytime soon either. While Molly might not have a great affinity for combat magic, she can get by pretty well. I don't want to elaborate for fear of spoilers. And don't forget when Harry soulgazed her in Proven Guilty, one of her potential futures she was a warden, which meant she had to be fairly adept at combat magic.

The thing that I fear might happen is her return to black magic, if she dies that would be my guess at her cause of death. If you've read Changes I'll say why, but, again, I don't want to spoil anything.

6/29/2010 #2
Stutley Constable

Harry's assessment of Molly is that she is not much for combat as far as magic goes. However, she has shown on more than one occasion that she is more than willing to fight and to risk her life. Remember, also, that it is Harry's assessment that she is not much for combat magic. He has known her since she was a pre-teen. That always influences a person's opinion. It's hard to imagine someone you've known as a child becoming a parent or even getting their driver's license. Harry is a punch-you-in-the-nose sort of fighter. He generally is not stealthy. He does have his moments but generally speaking he gets into stand up fights in the open. Molly is a different sort. Her strength is in stealth. She is a natural with veils. She can manipulate light effectively. Molly has also been described as a tall and strong young woman. I think that Harry will end up being surprised by her ability to take care of herself.

Butcher tends to like his characters as much as the folks who read the stories. I think it is far more likely that Butters will get killed off before Molly does. She is a central character to the series while Butters has been kept more to the periphery. Karrin Murphy might be killed to spark something in the nature of a dark rage in Harry but I don't think we are likely to see any of the core characters killed in the next few books. In the final book of the series I would guess that more than one of the core characters will be killed.

7/4/2010 #3
Artemis's Liege

I haven't gotten around to reading "Changes" yet, but I did accidentally read spoilers online.

I don't think Molly will be killed because of weakness or inability to defend herself. I see it more as a heroic sacrifice for Harry (For better or for worse, Susan and Murphy both said Molly "is still in love with" Harry). I can easily see Molly taking the bullet (Spell, mordite, knife, ect.) for Harry. And if it happens, there'll be a few chapters about Harry angsting and guilt-tripping and dealing with the fallout from the Carpenter family.

To be honest, I can't see the black magic thing happening because both she and Harry are under the Doom of Damocles, and if she dies that way, so does Harry. Unless there is some way to work around that, such as her undisputedly leaving the White Council and going rogue, so she is no longer Harry'sapprentice, and then being killed off by a warden for use of black magic. And I don't even know if that would work as a hypothetical situation. (Can a wizard leave the White Council?)

If Jim Butcher does kill her off, then he doesn't have to write Molly's complex character any more, and Harry can do some sort of revenge rampage. And the Doom of Damocles situation would be over, so that's one less thing to worry about.

I just hope that if Molly remains alive, she wouldn't get involved in some shoehorned, drippy romantic subplot with Ramirez.

Harry's assessment that she won't be effective in combat seems to stem from his analysis of her magic, but I don't think this refutes the possibility of Molly becoming a warden, and it's possible her magic could develop further as she matures as a wizard.

I would be interested to see if Molly continues her father's work, though.

8/17/2010 #4

I have read everything and am waiting on the new one in April. .

Molly Carpenter's character is nearly to important to kill off at least as of Changes. However if you have read Changes Harry "dies" so I could be wrong. (Sorry if I spoiled something)

Molly will never be a combat witch but that doesn't mean she isn't helpful, in fact she could possibly become a Warden who specializes in hiding the meeting places it would fit her completely and let's face it she hates the Wardens almost as much as Harry did and Jim Butcher likes to run a series of FML's in his books. :P

9/16/2010 #5
Forum Moderators: lacinda
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member