The Bored Author's Society
I, having nothing better to do, decided that it would be fun to create a forum where authors can just talk about Wicked related stuffs. Come on in if you, like me, feel the need to partake in random discussions to kill your boredom.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Ginger Glinda the Tangerine

Matt Morrison is a great actor, and he obviously really really loves acting and being part of Glee. It's a shame that they've made his character so bad lately. :(

4/8/2011 #31

Thoughts on the latest episode?

4/23/2011 #32
Literaryluminations

Santana is a BAMF and my hero. SHE HAS RAZORBLADES IN HER HAIR! SHE CUT KAROFSKY WITH HER VICOUS VICOUS WORDS! ♥

I felt like she was trying to become friends/friendly with Kurt and Blaine because she realized how lonely it is in the closet and wants gay friends because they cangetit. I'm curious to see where RIB take her storyline... I'm scared they're gonna screw it up. D:

I thought Rachel was amazing and incredible and I loved her talk to Mercedes. I like how far her character's come, though the writers tend to put her (all the characters, really) on a carousel... they make amazing progress in one episode then backtrack for the next five, then come a great way again....

I felt like they were trying to make Sunshine a Rachel!clone but she lacks the vulnerability and longing that Rachel has, so she came off as stuck-up, conceited, and super unlikeable.

Sue and her whole Legion of Doom was pretty stupid... they're a bunch ofadultstrying to take down a bunch ofteenagers. And they were like those stupid, laughable villains in Saturday morning cartoons that can't be taken seriously because they're just so pathetic. But they are treated like a true obstacle for the Glee club to overcome, which is rather pointless.

And, also--wasn't A Night of Neglect supposed to be honoringneglectedartists? The same episode that not only cut Tina's first solo in like, a season by half but then proceeded to give two guest stars full solos?

They made Tina cry again, too. It was funny in the beginning but now that they keep doing it it's not funny anymore. Especially not because she was literallyheckled offstage. And while if it had happened to Rachel we probably would have laughed because she would have divastormed off or something, this isTina. The girl who created a fake stutter when she was little because she was afraid of speaking in public. It was just cruel.

Will lostseveralpoints in ANON, too. His response to Brittany's membership on the Brainiacs was inappropriate, cruel, andrude. I don't care how unintelligent a student might seem, a good (even a mediocre) teacher shouldnever, ever, ever publicly doubt and then voice their disbelief over their student's intelligence, especially in front of her peers. And the face she made when Will laughed? It broke my heart. Glee's been so good about treating Becky with respect (I mean, she's Sue's minion and is played for comedy, but she's awesome and fierce) but not Brittany? She's definitely a bit odd, but she's got feelings!! And shewonthe damn competition for the Brainiacs!

And, also, Artie's response to Mr. Schue's disbelief over Brittany's membership on the Brainiacs was just insulting. "She's the only one we could find on short notice." Great boyfriend she's got, huh? .

Then Mr. Schueactually put up withMercedes' inane demands. Remember when Rachel duct taped her mouth shut as a silent protest to her mistreatment? Mr. Schue yelled at her, degraded her in front of other students... but when Mercedes is equally ridiculous, he actually puts up with them? Double standard much?

And then with what happened to Tina... he was like, "It's good experience for later." Um, excuse me?! WHEN YOUR STUDENT IS HECKED ANDCRYINGBECAUSE PEOPLE WERE MAKING FUN OF HER, SO MUCH THAT SHE RAN OFF THE STAGE, YOU DON'T SAY OH TOO BAD FOR YOU, YOU FREAKINGDOSOMETHING ABOUT IT!

And that pretty much sums up my thoughts on "A Night of Neglect." I apparently had a lot more of them than I thought I did. XD

4/23/2011 #33

I totally agree with you about Will. He is a terrible fucking teacher and he needs to be fired.

I loved the Santana scene. She is the BAMF to end all BAMFs. I loved that Kurt was just like, "Dude, just stfu" when Karofsky started yelling at him as well. Although what the heck was Karofsky doing in school at that hour of the night? Answer: HE IS STALKING KURT/BLAINE/BOTH. YES.

Honestly, I don't like the way Sue is being written this season, but the League of Doom was hilarious. It's more to do with taking down Will than taking down the Glee Club, although that's the way she's framing it in order to get the others onside. I love Sandy Ryerson with the flame of a thousand suns, and I like that he is now openly stating that he's "predatory gay", whereas in the first episode he told Figgins that he wasn't gay.

OMG SERIOUSLY TINA NEEDS TO SING A FRICKIN' SONG. And yeah that's all I have to say about that.

I thought Mercedes' diva-out was over the top, but I can see where it was coming from. She is always being overlooked, even more than Rachel is. She has an amazing voice, not in the same style as Rachel, but just as good. And yet Rachel is the one who gets all the competition solos, all the ones that actually count. I can definitely understand what would drive her to act like that, even if her actions were ridiculous.

4/23/2011 #34
Literaryluminations

You know what I hate the most about Will? That at the end of the third season, when all the characters we love so much have graduated, it's going to be Will (and Emma and Sue and Figgins) left... [they're] going to be our familiar faces, UGH.

He probably was just there to drop Azimio off. ;)

I love how Santana was in the hallway, creepin' on Bartie. I love everything about that scene, really. SANTANAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. I feel like she hasn't grown at all, and she's stuck on trying to destroy the Glee club but she's tried like, 8 times and failed. All that shit should have stopped after like, Sectionals of Season 1. Seriously.

Sandy was amazing in this episode. He'shysterical. HIS CAPE! HIS SATAINY CAPE! PINK DAGGER HAT!! ♥

TINA (AND MIKE) NEED SONGS, AND DECENT PLOT LINES! NOW! Why do guest stars keep having more exciting plot lines than Tike? .

But you could say that abouteveryonein Glee club, really. If we stopped giving the Warblers (and other guest stars) so many solos, I thinkeveryonewould have more spotlight. Heh.

That's not to say I don't love the Warblers/guest stars... I do, but there's a point that I feel like I'm not watching a show about New Directions anymore, but a show about random guest stars who do stuff with a main cast that I've conveniently forgotten everything about. XD

4/23/2011 #35

I disagree with you about the Warblers. There is no way they've had more songs than New Directions this season. I don't think it's a bad thing that we got to see so much of the glee club's competition leading up to Sectionals, and now that the Warblers have been beaten out of the competition, we almost definitely won't see as many songs from them anymore. It helps that the Warblers are a) really frickin' good and b) much more of a cohesive group than New Directions. It's nice to see a contrast to ND, many of whom hate each other and can only act as a group when they're doing choreographed dance moves, and whose immense talents are constantly being undermined by the fact that they can't agree on anything. The Warblers all like each other, and while they're not a democracy, their approach gets things done, they work incredibly hard and their songs are far more musically complex than anything New Directions have done. After Vocal Adrenaline, the fact that ND's competition is actually better than them in terms of technique is pretty sweet.

Umm yeah I really love the Warblers so whatevs.

I think the point of this season is to branch out a bit more from just focussing on members of New Directions. That said, though, I do agree that some members of ND (coughTINAcough) eed more spotlight because they have shitloads of talent, probably more than Gwenyth Paltrow, just sayin', and it's not being showcased.

On a slightly unrelated note, when was the last time we heard Sam sing? That boy is adorable and his voice is great.

PS EDITING TO ADD UNPOPULAR OPINION (and fix grammar a wee bit): The Warblers should have won Sectionals. They were better.

4/24/2011 . Edited 4/24/2011 #36
Valkyrie War Cry

I need to have a really long, nice cry. That was frickin' intense. I'm so proud of Emma and Quinn...Still really hurting for Santana. Glad to have Kurt back.

The singing was so amazing. The acting surpassed any and all expectations I ever had for these young people.

Why did it take RIB 7 months to get back to their brillliant writing?

Gotta say that while the Quinn storyline explains a hella lot of things, I'm disappointed her inner turmoil didn't stem from family issues.

I'll probably say more about this episode once I'm sure everyone has watched it ;)

4/26/2011 #37
Literaryluminations

I want a Lebanese shirt.

EMBY GET ON CHAT PLEASE I NEED SOMEONE TO SPAZ WITH?

4/26/2011 #38
AnimegirlTohru

I like Glee. My friend lent me the whole 1st season.

5/2/2011 . Edited 5/2/2011 #39
Valkyrie War Cry

:D Then you're in the right place!

Season 1 was really good. But for me the first and second halves seem like they don't necessarily belong together...But maybe that's because I didn't watch the first half when it aired lol.

I have read very few spoilers for this episode, and if it sucks, I'm going to be glued to the forum until next Tuesdays. Sometimes anticipating the worst and receiving better actually happens.

During my nap a few moments ago, I dreamed about the episode tonight lol except the storyling was completely wrong xD

5/3/2011 #40
Merida's Hair

I think the Brittana angst killed me in the last episode. :P

Also, does anyone else want Faberry to happen after seeing the promo for next weeks episode?

5/6/2011 #41
Valkyrie War Cry

I've given up on Faberry. I really want Quinn to get to a point where she's happy and healthy while accepting that she can be single at the same time. But I do admit that her words before she slapped/punched Rachel had me wondering for a moment.

I think the Brittana angst killed me in the last episode.

I really, really want to give Brittany a hug and then print her out a list of warning sings for abusive partners. Because Santana is very, very close to ruining my enjoyment of the possibility of canon Brittana. I actually have faith in the writers with this storyline, though. RIB seem like they're trying to move Santana to a new place before allowing her to have B.

And I wish Brittany would start to really try to think about what her own views are instead of following whatever everyone else tells her to do. I can't believe she actually believed Sue again this past episode.

5/6/2011 #42
Literaryluminations

I've given up on Faberry. I really want Quinn to get to a point where she's happy and healthy while accepting that she can be single at the same time. But I do admit that her words before she slapped/punched Rachel had me wondering for a moment.

Yeah, lately, I haven't been feeling the Faberry vibes either. I ship Quinndependence. :D LOL, Dino, I saw a doodle on tumblr that was like BDSM FABERRY with the slap scene. Only doodled. I'm not explaining myself well here. T_T

I really, really want to give Brittany a hug and then print her out a list of warning sings for abusive partners. Because Santana is very, very close to ruining my enjoyment of the possibility of canon Brittana. I actually have faith in the writers with this storyline, though. RIB seem like they're trying to move Santana to a new place before allowing her to have B.

And I wish Brittany would start to really try to think about what her own views are instead of following whatever everyone else tells her to do. I can't believe she actually believed Sue again this past episode.

You feel Santana is abusive? How so? I don't get that vibe from her at all.

One of my biggest problems with Glee is how they write Brittany--now that she's not being played for comedy, they don't seem to know what to do with her. They can't seem to decide if she's intelligent or not--when she is played for comedy, she can be so infuriatingly stupid, but then she has ALL THESE moments where she is totally the smartest person in the world.

I think the thing with Brittany is that she's terrified of conflict and disagreement, so she follows other people's directions because it's easier and it allows her to get away with things. I've been thinking lately about Brittany and Santana's personalities and the way they deal with society, and how Brittany coming out would be pretty anti-climatic because most people wouldn't give a crap because she's harmless. Or she appears so, because she's actually pretty mean if she wants to be. And how Santana's terrified of coming out because of how people, especially people in the school, will treat her. Because she's a bitch (because she's angry, because she has all those feelings).

It's kind of funny, because both characters really hate direct, scrutinizing conflict, and they deal with it in different ways. Santana pretends to be invincible: she tears people down and pretends to be so in love with herself so that people can't break her. She's a bitch to everyone so that's what they focus on, like a big zit on her forehead. Being a bitch diverts people away from reaching the true Santana, because she's so insecure about herself that she doesn't want anyone to challenge her because she doesn't like her true self and she can't help being the way she is. Even though she might not like it, she embraces being a bitch because then nobody can hurt her (though heartbreakingly, that's not true at all).

As for Brittany, she's the opposite of Santana--she dumbs herself down so people don't challenge her. She pretends to be clueless and stupid so people think she's like that cute, brainless puppy that licks the air because it's so stupid it doesn't realize it's literally licking the air. I mean, I do think that Brittany is a genuinely thoughtful and caring person who tries to find the good in everyone, but the harmless persona she puts on is her protection against the cruel world.

Because honestly, not many people would care if Santana was gay: they just want something to use against her because she's been so mean to everyone. So the same situation wouldn't scare Brittany, because seriously, who wants to hurt Brittany? They probably think she wouldn't understand their insults, or if she did, it would hurt her feelings and she would like, cry and that make them feel bad. It's like kicking a legless, toothless puppy.

In my head, that's also why Brittany gets so heartbroken when people insult her intelligence. I think she truly is intelligent, extraordinarily so, but she's gone so far to dumb herself down and make herself harmless that she's genuinely surprised when people are dubious about her smarts. I mean, obviously, she's got some crazy self-esteem issues when it comes to her brain power, so when people insult her intelligence it's like a slap in the face, because even if she isn't book smart, she understands that people think she's stupider than a piece of ABC gum and that's not a nice feeling, at all.

Her perceived lack of intelligence also allows her some pretty epic exemptions to rules. Like that scene where she's interrogating Mr. Schue? She displays some awesome ruthless reporter skills there. And Mr. Schue isn't quite sure how to act! If it was anyone but Brittany, he would have treated them totally different; he probably would have started yelling because Mr. Schue has AMAZING TEACHER SKILLS!!!1!!1!!11!

And, also, has anyone noticed how Brittany's voice changes depending on who she's talking to? She's got an slow, monotone voice with awkward, long pauses when she talks to most people in public, which is when she appears her most dumb. But in her recent scenes with Santana, she's lost some of those awkward rests and the monotone, which is why I think her stupidity is all (mostly?) an act so people are nice to her.

I spend way too much time analyzing fictional characters, damnit.

5/6/2011 #43
Valkyrie War Cry

I spend way too much time analyzing fictional characters, damnit.

We all have our favorite characters :) Don't even get me started on Narcissa Malfoy...

You feel Santana is abusive? How so? I don't get that vibe from her at all.

Like Artie said, she's manipulative. And she will do ANYTHING to get her way. Since she is bitchy, she'll say hurtful things (even if she won't say mean stuff to Brit.) She very nearly got physical with a few people. She's not completely, but she's well on her way if she doesn't sort out her personal issues before committing to Brittany.

I basically agree with everything you just said about Brittany :D

I ship Quinndependence

I've found my OTP!!!!!

5/8/2011 #44
Literaryluminations

Like Artie said, she's manipulative. And she will do ANYTHING to get her way. Since she is bitchy, she'll say hurtful things (even if she won't say mean stuff to Brit.) She very nearly got physical with a few people. She's not completely, but she's well on her way if she doesn't sort out her personal issues before committing to Brittany.

Is Santana more manipulative than any other character, though? Artie lied to Brittany about Santa and the whole magic comb thing... Rachel's manipulated Finn plenty of times, as has Quinn. And Terri manipulated Will. Sue manipulates all the time. And Brittany does too, in her own way.

That's not to say Santana doesn't have faults (and that any of these other manipulative characters are agoodthing), but, as she said, she's a bitch because she's angry. It's her armor against the world, protecting herself by tearing other people down. As for her being physical... I think her fights are played for comedy instead of drama, and should be taken worth a grain of salt... oh well. I'm glad she's working on her personal issues, and I'm glad that Brittany's forcing her to, because then (hopefully) they'll be stronger together.

Do you find her whole Prom Queen plan to be manipulative (in terms of Brittany)? I honestly don't--I think she's realized that Artie means something to Brittany and that breaking them up by using force/lying would only come back to hurt her. So she's concocted this plan to (1) make her unreachable by the rest of the McKinley population, and (2) make Brittany realize how much better Santana is as a partner. I know she says that she'd try to convince her by royal decree or whatever, but in my fanon (which should also be taken worth a grain of salt) she doesn't want it toendlike that, she'd rather Brittany come to her first.

However, in terms of Karofsky, HECK YEAH SHE'S BEING MANIPULATIVE. But I like their dynamic and her plan. :D

Edited to add: sapphos-ghost (dot) tumblr (dot) com/post/5336011272/iamjones-asked-what-did-you-think-of-the-new-sneak

What she says there about Artie being manipulative. All of what she says about everything, actually. :3

5/8/2011 . Edited 5/9/2011 #45
Valkyrie War Cry

Is Santana more manipulative than any other character, though? Artie lied to Brittany about Santa and the whole magic comb thing... Rachel's manipulated Finn plenty of times, as has Quinn. And Terri manipulated Will. Sue manipulates all the time. And Brittany does too, in her own way.

I don't believe any of those relationships were healthy. All of them ended (nearly.) Everyone has been manipulative, but some types go beyond the norm.

I just want these two to emerge stronger than ever.

5/9/2011 #46
Literaryluminations

I don't believe any of those relationships were healthy. All of them ended (nearly.) Everyone has been manipulative, but some types go beyond the norm.

I just want these two to emerge stronger than ever.

Agreed, heh. I think they will, though... the fandom seems to love Brittana. And they match each other. :3

5/9/2011 #47
Valkyrie War Cry

How the hell did that just turn into a Kurt lovefest?!!!!! And all they give Quinn (once again) is the surface level equivalent of a monotoned "I'm fine" response. A thirty freaking second clip about how she's worried about the future with no more depth to it.

And here I was hoping that maybe she had even been on edge because Beth's birthday is coming up, and then Jesse comes back into the clubbers' lives...gotta be a painful reminder.

But no. It's just RIB fucking with us again. Can't even give Q one night of happiness. At least Judy Fabray got screen time?

5/10/2011 #48

I can't talk about the newest episode because I haven't seen it yet. :O I only just watched Born This Way and Rumours today. xD

BUT Crazy I just want to say, just because Santana has reasons for being a bitch, doesn't mean she's exempt from the consequences of her bitchiness, or that she isn't manipulative, because she totally is. She's clearly fed all these lines to Brittany about why being with her isn't cheating on Artie, even though she knows that it is. She is selfish in dealing with her feelings for Brittany, and she'd prefer to let Brit cheat on Artie than be happy for her that she is (or was) in a relationship with someone she genuinely cares about. I don't deny that she's hurting, or that her situation is incredibly difficult and heartbreaking, but she has definitely manipulated Brittany, and taken advantage of Brit's confusion about her feelings/sexuality.

Also, thinking about that, does anyone else find it incredibly frustrating that both the closeted gay characters use bulllying and manipulation to hide their true feelings? First Karofsky, and now Santana. And while Karofsky's storyline was incredibly powerful, and so was Santana's, albeit in a different way, I don't like the fact that "I'm in the closet" seems to be an excuse for characters' bullying, and in turn, for RIB to try and get the audience to forgive them for their behaviour. It's frustrating that in a way Karofsky and Santana's behaviour is being excused by the fact that they're gay and they just Have A Lot Of Feelings.

NOTE: I am NOT NOT NOT comparing Santana's behaviour to Karofsky's, at all. Karofsky's sexual assault of Kurt is totally unforgivable, whereas Santana's bullying, while completely harmful and self-esteem destroying, is totally not on the same level. I'm just comparing the way in which their individual characters have been handled - feel free to disagree with me ;)

5/11/2011 #49
Literaryluminations

BUT Crazy I just want to say, just because Santana has reasons for being a bitch, doesn't mean she's exempt from the consequences of her bitchiness, or that she isn't manipulative, because she totally is. She's clearly fed all these lines to Brittany about why being with her isn't cheating on Artie, even though she knows that it is. She is selfish in dealing with her feelings for Brittany, and she'd prefer to let Brit cheat on Artie than be happy for her that she is (or was) in a relationship with someone she genuinely cares about. I don't deny that she's hurting, or that her situation is incredibly difficult and heartbreaking, but she has definitely manipulated Brittany, and taken advantage of Brit's confusion about her feelings/sexuality.

Well of course! Sheismanipulative, but I don't think she's really that much more manipulative than any other character. And Brittany's not fragile or stupid (you'll see in the Prom episode how she's actually the only Glee girl--or even Glee character--to be okay with not having a boyfriend/girlfriend); I'm pretty she knew what she was doing with Santana was cheating on Artie. That smirk she has when Santana tells her the plumbing's different makes me think so. I think that when Artie asks her about cheating on him with Santana, she's just hiding behind her perceived stupidity to get out of totally awful consequences.

As for Santana being selfish and not letting Brittany be monogamous to Artie: it takes two to tango! Brittany's not entirely innocent here. And unlike Artie seems to think, I doubt Santana's cheating was meant to break Bartie up--I think she just wanted to have her cake and eat it too. Santana probablycouldhave broken Bartie up, she definitely has the power and expertise, but she didn't, not after the first time. But yeah, that was pretty damn selfish and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that they would cheat like that.

It would actually worry me, because Santana's obviously possessive and those two girls have been the most important people (most meaningful connections) in each other's lives... it left a bad taste in my mouth when Artie was saying that he didn't want Brittany to haveoneperson in her life that could do things he couldn't for her. Like, um, WOW, unhealthy possessiveness, much? But I think Brittany's strong and self-confident enough to handle it, as her events in "Prom Queen" prove. Overall, I'm hopeful that Brittana will have a healthy relationship.

Also, thinking about that, does anyone else find it incredibly frustrating that both the closeted gay characters use bulllying and manipulation to hide their true feelings? First Karofsky, and now Santana. And while Karofsky's storyline was incredibly powerful, and so was Santana's, albeit in a different way, I don't like the fact that "I'm in the closet" seems to be an excuse for characters' bullying, and in turn, for RIB to try and get the audience to forgive them for their behaviour. It's frustrating that in a way Karofsky and Santana's behaviour is being excused by the fact that they're gay and they just Have A Lot Of Feelings.

UGH! I know, RIGHT? But Santana did have consequences of her bullying--she lost Brittany, and then in Silly Love Songs, she found out that everybody in Glee Club hates her. I think that her bullying doesn't stem from only being gay, per say (as Karofsky's did), but more from deep self-hated and the need to put up walls so nobody could hurt her. Maybe subconsciously she knew it was because she had a deep flaw (in her mind, not that being gay is a flaw) that she couldn't change about her self so she built up bitchy walls to stop people from getting to know the true her because she hated herself so much. I mean, she's a 16-year-old who got a boob job! Not a lot of self-lovin' going on, though she obviously wants people to think she's unbreakable. And her relationships with the other Glee kids is a vicious cycle--the more she's mean to them, the more they dislike her, and the more she feels unsafe with them, so the more she's mean to them.

What frustrates me about Glee is how they really only treat the LGBTQ storylines with respect and well-planned execution. As queer youth myself I'm so glad to see my peeps and own insecurities/fears represented, but that doesn't mean they're the only storylines I enjoy/take seriously. Rachel was my favorite character in the beginning. So was Tina. I mean, I've shipped Brittana since Showmance, but I didn't identify with them until the whole show became about them! And I've never identified with Kurt, Karofsky, or Blaine. I think that RIB think that we should love every character and automatically forgive their behavior. Finn's always portrayed as the caring male lead, and do you even want to get me started on Will? Kurt and Mercedes both used to be awful to Rachel and she was pretty awful back. Both Quinn and Puck were bullies; so is Sue.

On a side note, does anyone else crack up when they realize Puck told Quinn he "doesn't dig fat chicks" when she was pregnant? Oh the irony!

5/11/2011 . Edited 5/11/2011 #50

you'll see in the Prom episode how she's actually the only Glee girl--or even Glee character--to be okay with not having a boyfriend/girlfriend

What about Mercedes??? :P Bear in mind that I haven't seen the prom episode yet so it's possible that RIB have sadly destroyed that aspect of her character, but TBH Mercedes is the only character as far as I can remember who doesn't equate her self-worth with having a boyfriend. After lusting after Kurt in the first few episodes and dating Puck, she's realised that she doesn't actually need a boyfriend and has shown numerous times that she's happy being single.

it left a bad taste in my mouth when Artie was saying that he didn't want Brittany to haveoneperson in her life that could do things he couldn't for her. Like, um, WOW, unhealthy possessiveness, much?

I didn't see that line of Artie's as possessiveness; to me it was him voicing his fears about not being able to provide intimacy and comfort to Brittany the way a partner is supposed to. I imagine as well that he was also talking about sex. Having sex with someone you love is an incredibly intimate, special experience, and Artie was feeling incredibly betrayed and hurt that Brittany could be doing that special thing with someone else as well. If you're in a relationship with someone, there are supposed to be things that only they can do for you, like building you up when no-one else will, like sharing special moments that nobody else knows about and, yes, like having sex. So Artie was afraid that Santana and Brittany were doing all those things together when, in his mind, it's his job to do those things with Brittany, and you know what? He is actually right.

What frustrates me about Glee is how they really only treat the LGBTQ storylines with respect and well-planned execution.

I don't think that's true at all. Certainly the LGBTQ storylines have been at the fore this season, and they have been written (for the most part) very well. But there are plenty of other aspects of the show taht are treated with that same dignity and respect.

Look at the scene in Born This Way where Emma visits the psychiatrist. It was beautifully written and acted, and for what is possibly the first time on the show, Emma's mental health issues were treated with respect and dignity. Jayma Mays is doing a very difficult part justice and I don't think that's being recognised enough at all.

Also have a look at the way Glee deals with religion - excluding Grilled Cheesus, which was heavy-handed and ill-informed. Puck is Jewish, and clearly loves his religion and his god. He will often casually slip in references to going to his temple or to his faith. And yet this character trait doesn't define him, as he is still a well-rounded and lovable character (and also incidentally the character who's grown the most since the show started).

Mike and Tina's relationship is treated with respect and they are shown to truly love each other, have arguments, and solve them, the way real-life couples do. They're the strongest couple on the show, because they are shown to work through their issues and the actors work with every little thing they are given to ensure that Mike and Tina are shown to be truly in love and willing to work hard to make their relationship last.

And every single scene that Coach Bieste has been in has been amazing, and her issues surrounding her body image were handled beautifully (apart from the kiss with Will, but that can be explained, as most things that man does can be, by the fact that Will is a Giant Douche Canoe). Bieste is compassionate, kind and respectful of others, but also able to be tough where necessary and is more than capable of coaching football teams to victory. She's an amazing character and given at least as much, if not more, to work with as, say, Blaine or Karofsky.

So yes, while the LGBTQ storylines are definitely what has been pulling focus this season, I think it's doing the show and its talent an injustice to say that they're the only storylines that are respectful and well-executed.

5/12/2011 #51
alinaandalion

I just wish they would figure out what they want to do with both Quinn and Rachel's characters. Seriously, both girls go from one end of the spectrum to the other with no explanation.

It's just frustrating how Rachel's character has been completely annihilated by her relationship with Finn. She started out as this strong, determined girl who was a little too bossy and self-centered, but she did mean well, to this girl who has no self-confidence and will do anything for a boy who was actually pretty horrible to her when they were dating. Both times, in fact. I want her to get over Finn and move on. She can do so much better than him.

And, Quinn. When her character is allowed to have a real moment, it's amazing. That scene in "Original Song" where she told Rachel her expectations for the future broke my heart. Then, they go and do something completely ridiculous with her, like in "Born This Way." There was no need to say that Quinn is only beautiful because she got a nose job and stays on a super-strict diet. They had plenty of other issues to pull on, starting with her pregnancy from the previous season, but, well.... I don't know. It was unnecessary to introduce apparently another big issue for Quinn when the girl already has several. Her pregnancy, giving up her baby, her dad cheating on her mom, her dad throwing her out of the house, her boyfriend cheating on her with Rachel... I'm sure there's more.

However, I think one thing Glee has done so, so well was that therapy scene with Emma. I was so happy that they finally started taking her OCD seriously, and exploring exactly how a mental illness like OCD can affect a person. And, they did it so well. I wanted to reach through the screen and hug Jayma Mays because she was so perfect in that scene. Just...gah, I could go on forever, if only because I've been there and know exactly how it feels.

5/12/2011 #52
Literaryluminations

THIS.

I think you'll all agree with the Glee Spoof(s)... I'll reply to your words in the morning when I'm coherent. :)

5/12/2011 #53

I just watched the prom episode - and I still remain adamant that Mercedes is fine with being single. What she wanted was the dream of prom, the dancing and the pretty dress, not a boyfriend.

BUT THAT SAID OMG YOU GUYS I totally ship Sam/Mercedes now because HOW CUTE ARE THEY. Also, Sam is seriously vying to become one of my favs. He is amazing.

5/12/2011 #54
alinaandalion

I love Sam. He is such a sweet guy and so dorky that it's adorable.

I agree that Mercedes really doesn't believe she needs a guy. It's just that prom is a special night, and it's what a lot of girls dream about. Dressing up and having a guy tell you that you're beautiful makes you feel special. And, it sucks to go to a dance without a date when all your friends are there with one.

I do love Quinn's line, "You can get married as many times as you want. You only have one shot at prom." Still cracks me up.

5/13/2011 #55
Literaryluminations

Yeah, that is true, I guess she didn't want a boyfriend, per say, but definitely wanted a guy.

However, I think she stillwantsa boyfriend, though she's okay with being single right now. There's a difference between wanting to be single and take time for yourself and being single and wanting a boyfriend/girlfriend, you know?

I love Quinn's line, but it breaks my heart that she thinks SO MUCH of going to Prom.

5/13/2011 #56

Quinn's line was HILARIOUS. But you're right, she places so much emphasis on these rites of passage that in the long run aren't really that important. I think it's because she doesn't imagine herself ever leaving Lima, as we saw when she had that Serious Talk with Rachel*. She feels like she's jsut going to stay in Lima her whole life, so things that wouldn't really be important if you were going to leave your hometown and probably never return become intensely important to her because that's how she'll be remembered. That's why she wants to be with Finn, too, because she recognises that he's not talented enough to have any kind of career outside of Lima either, and he'll be willing to support her after high school.

I think it's interesting that Quinn, in the space of two seasons, has had SO MUCH stuff happen to her - she's gone from being HBIC Captain of the Cheerios to being a second-tier glee club member, been pregnant, lost her baby to Rachel's mother, dated three different men, been kicked out of her home, gone through her parents' separation, and had to deal with Glee Club competitions and Cheerios competitions, not to mention leaving the Cheerios for good and losing the last chance she had at being popular (something she sees as more important than anything else, and something by which her self esteem is clearly measured by). And this is a girl who was going on strict diets and having cosmetic surgery before she was even eighteen. She's probably the character that's had the most happen to her, and yet she's still willing to stay in the town where all this emotionally draining stuff happened to her. Girl has next to no self-confidence, despite what she might say.

*And speaking of Rachel, HOLY CRAP I am so glad that Jesse is back. I MISSED HIM. And now hopefully Rachel will stop pining after/obsessing over Finn, and either become BFFs with Jesse and realise that she's better off single because she can pursue her dreams (my #1 choice), or get back together with Jesse and still pursue her dreams because he's actually able to support her in what she wants to do without tearing her down all the time and trying to change her.

5/13/2011 #57
Valkyrie War Cry

I just don't get the change in Quinn. She was so adamant about leaving Lima last season. That was most of the reason why she gave up Beth. It's sort of like she has the same outlook as the Meet the Parents dad: If you aren't first, you aren't anything. I just want to know WHY she feels like she's going to be stuck in Lima. It isn't as if her parent(s) can't afford to send her to college...

I love how Quinn is so complicated, but RIB won't even fully delve into her the way they should. Giving her one line in the bathroom really doesn't cut it. And Rachel usually isn't a person who holds back. Although she is more intuitive when it comes to Quinn's moods and her willingness to share her thoughts, Rachel seems like she would have responded to Quinn's statement.

But we just had to cut to Kurt...

5/14/2011 #58

Something that happens when you have at least twelve main characters on your show is that stories and scenes get cut short without adequate resolution. It happens a lot on Glee, and it's one of the major shortcomings of its writing. But one thing that I get really annoyed at is people saying that this shortcoming only occurs in relation to Kurt. Kurt is a main character on the show, like Rachel, like Quinn, like Finn, like Will. He deserves just as much screen time as anyone else, and gets proportionally the same amount as, say, Rachel or Santana. His story is just as important as Quinn's. It's as important as Santana's, and Rachel's, and Sam's.

In short, Glee is an ensemble show. Please stop complaining about how Kurt is stealing the limelight from everyone else. He's not. He just happens to have an engaging story centred around him that the writers feel is worth telling. He has the same amount of screentime as any other main character.

(This isn't just directed at you, Emby; it's a general complaint I have about the Glee fandom. I've just noticed a couple of your posts being all "why so much Kurt???".)

5/14/2011 #59
Valkyrie War Cry

While I admit that I don't really favor Kurt, his story is absolutely necessary to tell. It's done a lot for a bunch of people out there. But my friend and I were discussing yesterday that neither of us can find any attributes of his storyline or personality that diverge from him being gay. He's maintained his stereotype while most of the other characters have evolved a bit. There's more to a person than his sexual orientation. I'll attempt to let it go now xD

I rewatched the prom episode...I almost wish Brittany would get back with Artie...he really was sorry for what he said, and he's ready to focus on Brit, unlike Santana, who still has to work out who she is before she should enter into a relationship. Bartie probably won't happen again, but I'm sad it had to end the way it did :(

5/15/2011 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: Sparkling Patronus
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member