Dante's Inferno
So you want to laugh at the N00BI3S and StuSuethors. This is the place. We never sleep. Come hang out and talk about anything, but you are on your own if you see foul language. Formerly the L.F.E.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Saber Wing

Okay, people. I've been having many, many issues with the pointless new topics, and so, here is a new one that should help eliminate problems. In this topic, you may ask anything at all that does not have to do with the website. Legitimate questions, please.

The Help Topic will now be used for website questions only.

2/11/2011 . Edited 2/11/2011 #1
FanGirlSeunO.o

Umm..I was wondering how to make a story, as in directions on how to make put a story on fanfiction. I've never been too good with computers and i'm sooo confused about

how to do this. Any help please? :) ( I've only been reading other peoples work, so now i want to make a story myself! First Time!! ) THNX

3/12/2011 #2
Lady Logos

NOt sure if this goes to the help section or here so am asking in here too: Does anyone know about vampassassin?

3/15/2011 #3
Saber Wing

FanGirlSeunO.o, your question can be answered by reading the FAQ at the bottom of the flagged topics. Thank you :)

Sorry to say, Lady Logos, but I have heard nothing about vampassassin. I remember when you made that thread originally and I've been keeping an eye out, but no luck.

3/15/2011 #4
Lady Logos

Thanks anyway.

3/16/2011 #5
Voccio

I have a question about reviews, how do I review other peoples stories and check the reviews on my own?

3/19/2011 #6
Lady Logos

Click a story you want to read. Read the story. Then on the downof the page there's this blue text: Review this chapter. Click that.

Your reviews (If someone reviews your story) come as alerts in to your mail where you can read and reply by using a link that the mail provides.

Also in your stories if you go to your profile and see the titles. On the right side of them if there are any reviews there's this red text of "reviews" click that and you'll see all the review that others have submitted to your story.

3/19/2011 #7
Voccio

OK thanks very much.

3/20/2011 #8
Lady Logos

no prob.

3/21/2011 #9
Voccio

Oh crap sorry to be a nuisance but I just uploaded chapter 2 of Life On Helghan and it's appearing in the list as a separate story, I selected the first file as the upload destination but I must've done something wrong, could someone explain what I did please? Sorry again but would it be possible for the mods to reorganize the file? I'll make sure chapter 3 is properly organized.

3/22/2011 #10
Voccio

Ah nevermind I just did it, can someone just tell me how to remove the separate chapter that I posted? I'll post again on here if I manage to figure out how to do that, sorry for any confusion.

3/22/2011 #11
Voccio

Yup done lol, I went and checked for it the title was there but when I clicked it there was no story, must take time to delete altogether. Sorry for being a noob and letting the first problem I have make me panic.

3/22/2011 #12
Lady Logos

Everyone of us make mistakes sometime. Don't take pressure. It's good that you ask if there's a problem as how could we ever learn without asking/making mistakes :)

3/22/2011 #13
Voccio

Thanks very much for making me feel better, I do get a bit nervous asking for help. But good to know people here are all right. :)

3/22/2011 #14
LN8866

Lately, when I write, I am focused on my main story but I also get ideas for other stories too. How do you keep your focus when writing? I want to write other stuff too, but I also don't want my main story to suffer either...or is my brain trying to take a break from the main story...UGH!

4/22/2011 #15
Saber Wing

Sometimes, it actually helps to improve the main story if you write something else for a week or two, then go back to it. For example, if you hit a rough patch in your main story, leave it alone, go write a oneshot or something, and then when you're done, come back to the main story and look at it with fresh eyes. I do it all the time.

4/23/2011 #16
kirei chime

Good day to you.

I just have a question (but I am not sure if I am putting this in the right thread).

I am a fan of Korean and Taiwanese series, but the Korean series I see here in FanFiction is "You're Beautiful" aka "Minami Shineyo." I am not sure if there are others here, but do you have a "link" (I am not sure how to name it) for "Hot Shot/Basketball Fire" and "God of Study"?

I would greatly appreciate all the answers you will give. Thanks for taking time to read my note.

4/25/2011 #17
Lady Logos

You mean Korean series and so on? If there are any you have to first know what category they belong to (Anime, movies, games etc.) just place your cursor over the Home section in the top of the page, then click the category. All the smaller categories (Say Naruto in anime section) Are under there in alphapedical order. JUst find the title you want, and click it and you see all the stories on that series.

5/2/2011 #18
Limelight788

Edit: Already uploaded the first episode of Stardust Warriors. And as such, I've already figured out where to put this.

2. Why can't non-fictional characters be used? I understand if a story consist of entirely non-fictional characters, but why not if they're a small part of a story? I was hoping to use George Carlin in one of my "episodes" (AKA chapters) to move the plot. Since that's not an option, I'll have to use a similar fictional fan character for it. It's not that I'm going to throw a fit about it, just that since I'm planning to have serious elements that may regard a take on real life issues with a fictional situation, using a fictional character wouldn't be nearly as impacting.

3. Is it okay for me to try to write certain parts of my fanfiction in order and edit them in later when I find the part to contradict something I said earlier in the story? Let's take this for an example (Not spoiling the story forStardust Warriors, just providing an example). Let's say that I write Episode 40 before Episode 34, but don't publish Episode 40. I say that in Episode 40, Tom kills Jerry but then realize when I write Episode 34, both Tom and Jerry agree that when playing a cat and mice game, they would never kill each other. That's a major contradiction and I know I have to edit Episode 40. But at least I may only have to edit part of Episode 40, because only the killing part contradict, everything else remains consistent, therefore, leaving me with less work to do in the long run while still being able to produce a quality story. Would that be a good idea? It can be good for being able for getting good content out in shorter time, plus I do have some parts planned a lot more then in other places (I know exactly how I want to have the ending like, but not sure about the majority of the plot otherwise, which I will eventually figure out as I write the story).

5/14/2011 . Edited 5/15/2011 #19
Lady Logos

Answers to your questions:

2. it's very easy if you think about it. I ask you this - Would you like it if I made you a character in my story? Made you do things that you wouldn't even consider in your wildest dreams? Think about the answer and you have yours. After all it's insulting to everyone's privacy and even if you have permission, how can FF.net confirm this permission that you have from another human that you can write about them? So there's your answer.

3. Yes it is okay. After all it is your story, but it would be highly recommended that you inform your readers about these things in Author Notes for example so that they don't fall behind.

Anything else we can do for you? :)

5/17/2011 #20
ILoveSeddie321
Um, can you post stories on mobile?
5/17/2011 #21
Lady Logos

You mean like use a phone to post a story? If you have good enough phone I don't see a problem.

5/17/2011 #22
ILoveSeddie321
It's just that someone told me that you *HAVE* to have your story in a document to upload, and that you can't type it.
5/17/2011 #23
Lady Logos

Well if you have a good enough phone like I said it won't be a problem.

5/17/2011 #24
ILoveSeddie321
Well, this is what it says on my page: Please note in order to submit a new story, you must have first upload the story file/document on the computer to the Document Manager area. And on mobile, I don't have documents. So, I was asking, is there a way to just type it instead of uploading the document?
5/17/2011 #25
Lady Logos

On in an existing chapter yeah. Otherwise no. Just download a writing software to your phone.

5/17/2011 #26
ZeroVX

I have a question regarding a potential fanfic idea I have.

I'm thinking about doing an MST fic, but I'm not sure what section it would go under. I was also going to include one or two characters from other mediums, so would it be considered a crossover? Or is there a specific section for MST fics?

5/26/2011 #27
Lady Logos

MST? never heard of it. But like has been said above, there's a way to see if there's category for that or not. Also if you're loaning characters from another category then it's a crossover..

5/26/2011 #28
ZeroVX

MST is basically a fic that reviews other fanfics, usually really bad ones. Like MST3K reviewing bad movies.

And there really wouldn't be much of a crossover outside of one or two characters appearing in it. But if there really isn't a section for it, I guess that's what it'd be.

5/26/2011 #29
ZeroVX

OK, this is sort of a continuation of the above.

I officially started the fanfic, but I need some suggestions on what other fics I should review. Are there any forum rules against making a thread asking for fics to review?

5/28/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Omnipotent One Envy Omnipotent One Vanity
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member