Dante's Inferno
So you want to laugh at the N00BI3S and StuSuethors. This is the place. We never sleep. Come hang out and talk about anything, but you are on your own if you see foul language. Formerly the L.F.E.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Zokolov

Someone above said that ranking system would instantly get abused. Don't like the pairing in the fic? Thumbs down. Have "beef" with the author? Thumbs down. Writes fics about movie/book/game/show that is totally bad and lame? Thumbs down.

And no, saying something bad or not nice about a story or an aspect of a story DOES NOT = bullying.

I've been saying this for many years.

I was mainly pointing out that posting someone else's fic in its entirety and adding some insulting "commentary" is kinda harassing. And what's the point of doing them with trollfics anyway, since the whole point is that they're intentionally bad?

Some of my own stuff falls in there

From what I've seen, your page seems to empty. Yeah, I know some people have like a million accounts here but it would be nice to know who's who.

7/21/2012 . Edited 7/21/2012 #32
Zokolov

Plus this way I can get all new reviews!!! As well as people telling me (insert name of story) here is a crime against humanity and I should be beaten with scorpions and dragged to the human rights court at The Hague by my cuticles.

:P Sounds like a standard review on this site. Plus you succesfully made me want to know exactly what kind of twisted stuff you had in those stories.

I'm guessing you don't mean just pulling out lines and commenting on those, right?

So what is it, copying and pasting someone else's story under another name on the site and then cutting it to pieces in the comments? What's the point of that? Why not just cut the original story under the original poster to bits? Seems like a waste of time to me.

That's exactly what I meant. Basically people copying Mystery Science Theater but failing to be even half as funny and not realizing that the FFN rules forbid it.

And indeed, if people want to cut the story to shreds, use the frickin' reviews section! That's what it's for! And adding asinine "wow its gr8 upd8 soon kk" comments or stuff totally unrelated to the story. I'd rather take flames.

7/21/2012 #34
XxxCathylovexxX

@The Gong of Doom: "jO bekke" was racist, homophobic, northerner bashing and in all amount s of wrong. The author has harassed me and my friends more times than I can count. I have MSTed some of her work on my dA if you have an account and would like to see it.

7/21/2012 #35
XXXmidnitegoffXXX

I'm the best example when't comes to commentaries. There's way too many My Immortal commentaries, most of them aren't funny. Most of them reuse the same joke. However, I do come across a few that are pretty good. Some people've added a plotline to their commentaries. I don't really have a problem with them commenting on them. I know't is against the rules, but they can at least do't on DA or some blog. I don't like seeing them get into trouble.

As for scriptfics, I don't see what's so lazy about them? Instead of using description to describe an event, you've to use dialogue instead. I know't doesn't work all the time, but why they ban't is a mystery. The ironic thing is that there's a 'Play' section on Fictionpress, even through the script format's banned.

7/21/2012 #38
Zokolov

The Gong of Doom like for the number of views and hits a story gets to be visible to everyone, not just the author

That would be nice, though the views and hits are more Internet Bragging Rights than anything.

There's way too many My Immortal commentaries, most of them aren't funny. Most of them reuse the same joke. However, I do come across a few that are pretty good. Some people've added a plotline to their commentaries. I don't really have a problem with them commenting on them. I know't is against the rules, but they can at least do't on DA or some blog. I don't like seeing them get into trouble.

Indeed there are, because everyone thinks they're the next Joel Hodgson. But yes, there are good ones, I'm sure, and I have no problem with them being on other sites. I just don't see the point of making commentaries for trollfics.

As for scriptfics, I don't see what's so lazy about them? Instead of using description to describe an event, you've to use dialogue instead. I know't doesn't work all the time, but why they ban't is a mystery

At least the scriptfics that I've seen are an example of laziness. Sure, even they can be done well if they try to make them resemble actual scripts, but they generally don't. I guess they banned it in a desperate attempt to raise the quality of stories on the site or something.

Now what do I want for FFN? As far as I'm concerned, this site is okay, but what I really want is a limit of one account per IP address. Sure it could be circumvented easily, but it would still drop the amount of sockpuppets here.

7/22/2012 #39
KageNoNeko

Now what do I want for FFN? As far as I'm concerned, this site is okay, but what I really want is a limit of one account per IP address. Sure it could be circumvented easily, but it would still drop the amount of sockpuppets here.

I would have to agree with you on that point. People who only create an account to review stuff instead of using their own account is a sure sign of being a coward.

After being in the forums for awhile, I find I would love it if they used the more standard forum system.

7/22/2012 #40
KageNoNeko

The Gong of Doom, I find the numbers that you are stating to be crazy. How can the number be different in different places????

Also, the reason why M rated fanfics are not displayed is maybe because it is for 16 and older. I accepted it that rating being hidden because a lot of people do write explicit stuff and think M = explicit.

7/24/2012 #42
XXXmidnitegoffXXX

I saw this on Ficwad and I think FFN should maybe introduce this as well. Ficwad has the opinion to mention whether a fanfic has any major spoilers. Dunno if it'll work well (since most author reading such fandom should be up-to-date). Just a suggestion.

I know a few Critics here have two accounts: one for posting their fics and another one for critiquing. I'd doubt they'd want that to happen.

7/25/2012 . Edited 7/25/2012 #43
Zokolov

I saw this on Ficwad and I think FFN should maybe introduce this as well. Ficwad has the opinion to mention whether a fanfic has any major spoilers. Dunno if it'll work well (since most author reading such fandom should be up-to-date). Just a suggestion.

Well, that would be cool, but pretty pointless, since you can just mention spoilers in the summary or right as the fic begins, so there's no need for a feature like that.

I know a few Critics here have two accounts: one for posting their fics and another one for critiquing. I'd doubt they'd want that to happen.

I just don't see the point. Most people just use that for trolling or pretending to be someone else, and it's just annoying and childish. Since people are already pretty anonymous here, I wish they'd at least have the courage to only use one account.

Either that, or some way to reveal that two accounts share an IP.

7/25/2012 #44
XxxCathylovexxX

You know what I want also? When you go to someone's bio/profile, there should be a "report user" button. Of course, this will likely be abused, but the site should have one instead of everyone emailing them all the time.

7/25/2012 #46
otherrealmwriter

You know what I want also? When you go to someone's bio/profile, there should be a "report user" button. Of course, this will likely be abused, but the site should have one instead of everyone emailing them all the time.

Have it like the report story feature where you describe why you feel they should be reported. Harasssing, Spaming, multiple real person fiction. I know I did that to a lot of people in this community which is filled with real person fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/community/Shitfics_that_need_a_good_flame/72420/3/0/1/ I even emailed the site about them keeping it up!

7/25/2012 #47
XxxCathylovexxX

I mean, quite a few sites have them. Why not this one?

They should have some kind of story/author feature as well on the front page. Or contests that the site runs instead of the users doing them all the time.

7/25/2012 #48
KageNoNeko

@otherrealmwriter (is that correct?), I left a comment on Fanfiction's blog asking for the site post a reminder on the front page about real person fanfiction. I do agree with you about a report user thing similar to the report abuse thing.

@Cathylove, I would love it if they at least did something that could make it easier for users to run contests on this website. It would be awesome if there was a place for contests on this site because it would at least get good fanfiction promoted more so than it would have been.

7/25/2012 #49
XxxCathylovexxX

Yep. It would have fanfiction promoted more. I mean, most of the time the users promote the fanfiction themselves.

There should also be a feature for friends like on dA and Facebook, that sort of thing.

7/26/2012 #50
Lady Elizabeth of New York

Speaking from a person who has many interests, having a side account is great then you don't have to clutter your profile with so many stories about diffrent subjects. No offense to people who do.

7/27/2012 #52
Lady Elizabeth of New York

Oh and I would love to see Fanfiction give us a tool to see who is currently on Fanfiction at the same time you are. That way you don't have post on the forums when no one is going to answer you back.

7/27/2012 #53
Zokolov

Oh and I would love to see Fanfiction give us a tool to see who is currently on Fanfiction at the same time you are. That way you don't have post on the forums when no one is going to answer you back.

But then us lurkers would be screwed! XD

7/27/2012 #54
otherrealmwriter

Yes, Lurking is fun!

7/30/2012 #55
Ichigo Pocky Chama

I was just going to suggest that. It's annoying when I'm chatting to someone, they stop replying and I don't know wether they're still on or not. An online/offline tool would be very helpful indeed.

8/3/2012 #56
otherrealmwriter

An active chat feature formatted like the PMs are would be cool.

9/27/2012 #57
KageNoNeko
An active chat feature formatted like the PMs are would be cool.

On this site's blog, people didn't seem to be to crazy about this idea.

I would love a search function for the reviews because I would love to find my really old reviews that I left on some stories before I had this account. I still remember the name I used and a few of the stories that I reviewed from back then, but I can't find them since there is tons of reviews on those stories.

9/27/2012 #58
XxxCathylovexxX

I would also love the site to revise the rules some. The adults and those experienced in fandom can understand them, but kids? No. The rules are too formal and vague, and that's how there are so many rule breakers.

And the offline/online thing would be great. I was thinking it could be like the one on dA.

9/29/2012 #59
RinxLenKagamine4EVA

@KageNoNeko; If you want to see reviews that YOU wrote, go to Reviews and click on Review History *shot for being off topic*

A offline/online feature would be nice, maybe we should e-mail the site about that?

9/29/2012 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: Omnipotent One Envy Omnipotent One Vanity
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member