Dante's Inferno
So you want to laugh at the N00BI3S and StuSuethors. This is the place. We never sleep. Come hang out and talk about anything, but you are on your own if you see foul language. Formerly the L.F.E.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
boysnextdoor

There are umpteen million threads about this, but im starting a new one. What are things you hate about fanfiction? Name three. I'll start- and I hope by a whole bunch of people doing this maybe (just maybe) the amount of shitty fanfiction will decrease, if only by a little.

(in no particular order)

1. When the main character gets pregnant

-usually, (unless the writer is very VERY good) it comes out of nowhere with an unwanted-teen-pregnancy type theme. Thats not cute, or romantic, its just like "wtf? Where did that come from?" and then "wait- baby mama drama!" Which means the plot is now dead.

2. Trying to justify OOC

- By saying something like "well, then he got raped. So now he's kinda scarred for life and has this insecurity thing, right?" Which makes the character more of an OC than a character. Not to mention, why would you want to change their personalities so drastically? The point of fanfiction is NOT doing that! Its one thing if its a bad writer and they do it without thinking about it, but doing it on purpose os like "wtF"

3. really really "deep" fanfiction

-usually, its just like a whole buncha metaphors and not a whole lotta action. Which fails.

YOUR TURN! Tell me what you hate.

9/8/2008 #1
Saber Apricot

3. Yes, that can be a pain. Especially when a writer tries to make a story deep by adding abuse to the story. For example, the OC has a tragic past and is horribly abused by her foster parent. But the abuse is just a cheap ploy used to try to evoke pity from the readers. Sooooo annoying.

9/8/2008 #2
Lotusnapper

I don't like reading too many stories with the same theme especially if it out of bounds within the fandom. It is just confusing and gets annoying after a while.

9/9/2008 #3
otherrealmwriter

-usually, (unless the writer is very VERY good) it comes out of nowhere with an unwanted-teen-pregnancy type theme. Thats not cute, or romantic, its just like "wtf? Where did that come from?" and then "wait- baby mama drama!" Which means the plot is now dead.

Blech. I hate those ones. Gets old after the bazillionth time.

3. Yes, that can be a pain. Especially when a writer tries to make a story deep by adding abuse to the story. For example, the OC has a tragic past and is horribly abused by her foster parent. But the abuse is just a cheap ploy used to try to evoke pity from the readers. Sooooo annoying.

That is so done to over kill. :( Very few authors who do that can pull it off.

9/9/2008 #4
Saber Apricot

That is so done to over kill. :( Very few authors who do that can pull it off.

I know, right! It's like I an extra-bad Lifetime Channel original in text format.

9/9/2008 #5
Amiamon Daughter of Lucifer

Good point can't argue with that one.

9/9/2008 #6
Artemis Mitera

Mary Sues are an example of that. THEY ALWAYS HAVE A TRAGIC PAST.

9/9/2008 #7
boysnextdoor

See, its like

you cant use a character's past as a plot device. If you cant think up some kind of circumstance to advance thier relationship then you should think of a new pairing. (because the "tragic past" tool is basically only used to make two characters suddenly want to hook up with each other either because of pity or the EVEN MORE ANNOYING "omg I have a tragic past too!") Like really, you cant force something to work, and completely changing the character is totally trying to hard.

OH MAN. I thought of another.

4. Making an OC that matches the description of a character that already exsists. IE. an inuyasha OC that "looks exactly like sango and comes from the same village with a giant boomerang except hers is green and her outfit is green instead of red"

because thats also trying to hard.

9/9/2008 #8
Robert Strand

(Fell free to spread this one in it's entirety.)

Polish Actors. No I'm not trying to make fun of the Polish People, I'm using it as a general term for people who refuse to break character. Now this is rather annoying in RP's and talk in general. Here You are trying to hold a conversation with some intelligence and then here you have "Ladie Mc Fricken Da" over here who launches a missile at you for the glory lord bla bla bla. I mean what the fuck is your problem buddy. When you try to talk to them they act like they are the best thing since sliced bread, all high and mighty on the smell of there own piss. God forbid they have to act like a normal human being. No, on the internet they can be giant half human robot with rocket boots while shooting tacos out of their ass.

9/9/2008 #9
Ifab1ndiya

(Fell free to spread this one in it's entirety.)

Will do, lol!

Giant half human robot with rocket boots while shooting tacos out of their

*Wonders what fics/roleplays you've read/joined* LoL

9/9/2008 #10
Robert Strand

That's my OC! You can't have him! *Shoots butt taco at you.*

9/9/2008 #11
Saber Apricot

Mary Sues are an example of that. THEY ALWAYS HAVE A TRAGIC PAST.

Well, not all of them, but a good portion of them do.

Types of Sue (Warning: Sue types do tend to overlap):

Girl Power Sue/ Spitfire Sue/ Warrior Sue: She's basically overaggressive, rude, and bitchy. She may be sexists against men and look down on women that she think are ascribing to feminine gender stereotypes.

"I'm strong, accomplished, attractive, talented, blunt, sweet, honest, intelligent, gentle, and willful natural born leader and fighter. Boys better watch out, because I won't take orders or let them treat me like a delicate flower! I'm not naive or weak! Human women should be respected and treated as equals to men! As a girl, I should be able to do what I want, when I want."

Super-hot Sue: The writer spends too much time mentioning how hot her OC is and continually reminds the readers by mentioning the OC's hotness periodically throughout the fic. It's not uncommon for the description not to make much sense. For example, one cannot be both voluptuous and slim.

"I’m 5’7” with a voluptuous but skinny, perfect body that has curves in all the right places. I have beautiful, waist length fiery red hair that flows down in soft and luscious curls. My porcelain skin is lustrous and flawless. My lips are full, soft, and ruby-red. And my eyes are deep, emerald pools that show the depth of my beautiful and tortured soul. And now I explain what I’m wearing in full detail for a couple paragraphs..."

Talented and Skilled Sue: The OC is unbelievably talented even though he/she hasn't had the experience, time, and effort put into whatever abilities to be able to be so good.

"For some reason I am naturally good at all sports I do. I can usually learn how to play any instrument in absolutely no time. I'm a talented dancer, writer, academic, and singer as well. I'm so accomplished and I hardly have to practice! I'm just special and great that way. Did I mention that I was a natural fighter that is great with the sword, bow, and other weapons, along with martial arts even though I don't have much, if any, training?"

Tragic Past and Tortured Sue:

"Poor me, I'm so utterly and horribly abused. My parents died in a fire, so now I live my cruel uncle who's an alcoholic uncle that beats and sexually abuses me almost every night. It's horrible, I can't stand it! But for some reason I don't notify child services or let anyone know that I'm being abused. And even though I'm a smart, kind, and attractive girl, I get bullied by all of the popular kids at school. Why doesn't anyone love me for the spiritually beautiful, intelligent, and capable girl that I am? I wish that some fictional male character that I obsess over was my boyfriend, that'd fix everything."

Often a bad Sue will have (what is supposed to be) a tragic background. Writers will make their Sues victims of child abuse, rape, sexual abuse just barely shy of full-on rape, extremely unrealistic bullying at school, and/or evil parents because they think it's a good way to build sympathy for their character. Or sometimes the Sue will lose her family and/or friends (car wreck, house fire, murdered, etc), giving her a reason to be angsty. Bad things do happen to normal people all of the time. Parents die, friends die, people have accidents, etc... However the Sue's abuse or tragedy is often romanticized (which is really weird to me) enough to make it unbelievable, corny, confusing and annoying. However, any rational person knows that being horribly abused and/or traumatized doesn't necessarily make someone anymore likable or interesting as a person.

Strange Origin Sue: In order to make a character more interesting, the writer will give her a magical origin. She will also have magic powers that are unique and greater than other canon characters that are supposed to be some of the most powerful.

"My name is Raven Emerald Windgate, but my real name is Aria. I am the long lost younger daughter of a powerful sorceress and was sent away to Earth so that the baddies couldn't find me. Oh, did I mention that I have more magical abilities than the most powerful canon characters? I can see the future better than anyone else and I also can fly, shapeshift, control the weather, and heal people. I'm also part unicorn, fairy, mermaid, and liger!"

Her name is weird, stupid, rare, and/or spelled in an uncommon way and her existence doesn't necessarily make sense either. Sometimes she's made to be the daughter, sibling, or long lost relative of a canon character. Sometimes she's part of an important or powerful family/clan or race that doesn't exist and is poorly introduced and explained in the story. Sometimes she’s both and/or from the story-verse, but was sent to another world or time. How did manage to travel to another world? Usually she’s sent there, but the writer can never really explain why she had to be sent to another world.

Anti-Sue: The writer's failed attempt to make her OC not a Sue.

"I'm not like those other ditzy and fake Sues. I'm not ridiculously attractive or runway model thin. I'm kind of average looking, a little overweight...Okay, fine, I'm fat! There, are you happy now!? ...My skin isn't perfect, and I wear glasses. I can't sing, cook, dance, defend myself, and running or even walking is a little hard for me. I'm not strong and I can't even take care of myself or get along with others too well. But I'm still going along with the main characters, because I know that I will be help to them somehow."

Bad Sues will sometimes be so anti-Sue and ridiculous that they are a Sue. They are described as not very pretty or even ugly and sometimes they're fat too. She's incompetent or even a psycho bitch (which is intentionally done by the writer). The OC is just another type of (bad) Sue that often is liked or tolerated and can even accomplish things (that she shouldn't be able to), despite all of her shortcomings.

0-0-0-0-0-0

Mwuahahahahaha

9/9/2008 #12
Crouching Tiger Hidden Shizuru

WOW I'M A MARY-SUE LOLOL LOOK AT ME RUN!

*has an athsma attack about three seconds after running at a leisurely pace*

9/10/2008 #13
Trippy Hippie

Poorly written fics.

9/10/2008 #14
otherrealmwriter

Incest pairings, can't stand them.

9/11/2008 #15
EclipseIllusion

Twincest pairings

Emo fics; where the character is angsty for NO REASON, or just because they got rejected.

Fics in which the character is completely OOC meaning, Sasuke just "wakes up" one day, and realizes how much he "loves" Sakura.

Cliche's

9/11/2008 #16
boysnextdoor

OH MY GOD YES.

the "im gonna wake up one day and..." especially if its "Realize im gay for naruto" or "decide to undertake a new life purpose-" like someone switching houses in a harry potter fic. PPL should not do that!!

9/11/2008 #17
BubblesPopElectric

when the fic is poorly written. end of story. (lol. i didnt mean end of story, but like end of.. i cant explain it. lol)

MARY SUES!

When someone makes Hermione a total babe and all the guys want her. just gag me now. =0

9/12/2008 #18
Qzil

The whole Mary-Sue or Self-Insert...thing. People are just a little too sensitive to it nowadays. I'm not saying everyone is, but a lot of people will call "Sue!" if your character is good at more than one thing, or if it's CCxOC.

9/12/2008 #19
Robert Strand

Yuri and Yaoi couples. I'm sure Naruto and Sasuke and the total hots for each other. And the sailor Scouts enjoy lezing out on the weekends. But I don't give a shit. What a character does in there spare time is there own business. You the auother have no right fuck with that persona! I hate these type of fics. I'm not homophobic. I think these type of fan-fics really suck. Both metaphorically and and literally.

9/12/2008 #20
Qzil

I've read a few good ones.

Unless we're talking canon, like Gravitation, or those two Sailor Scouts that are gay, then the yaoi or yuri is perfectly fine.

9/12/2008 #21
Saber Apricot

It's still reads like a cheap romance when the main theme of the fic is their sexual activity and/or the characters angsting over wanting to be with whoever.

...Whenever I think of cheap romance novels, I think of the beginning of that movie "Romancing the Stone."

9/13/2008 #22
boysnextdoor

Well see this is my point. A large part of the "romance" in fanfiction (nowadays) is now sex. So when a character gets pregnant its like "no more sex? Then what am i still reading this for?" Because you know the author isnt going to suddenly develop a plot or something- so the fic is basically over.

as for non-canon yuri/yaoi- Im indifferent. I think that although there might be some genuinely GREAT non-canon yuri/yaoi fics (and trust me, there are plenty, ) there are just as many badly written yuri/yaoi fics. I honestly think the only way to make a CC gay (in a fic) without forcing it is to just never talk about them becoming gay (as if they've always been gay), or to have one of those developing stories where its like "im not gay- am i? Am i gay? " so that it kinda makes sense. Otherwise, you end up forcing them to be gay and it reads horribly (IE. a traumatizing event that makes them gay, coming out of the closet unexpectedly, etc.)

9/13/2008 #23
Saber Apricot

So when a character gets pregnant its like "no more sex?

Well, pregnancy is usually part of the conclusion or even follow up of a conclusion of a story. Of course sex doesn't have to be put on hold because of pregnancy, but most people probably aren't comfortable with the idea that pregnant women can still have sex.

Still, romance doesn't have to involve sexual activity. There probably wasn't even a kiss in Pride & Prejudice but it's a romance.

9/13/2008 #24
Ten ways to spoil dinner

What do I hate... actually, I don't hate any kin of story, I dislike them, but I really see no reason to hate them. What I dislike is: Mary sues and OOCness in any non-humor. because I like a good laugh, so if it's humor, I don't care. And I've written humor with OOcness... I can' say whether tere's Mary sueness involved in my stories. Probaly in my earlier stories, but my newer ones, les likely, though not impossible.

9/13/2008 #25
Teh Imperfectionist

When people insert an author's note mid-sentence.

eg.

"She stared at the woman (AN: you'll have to wait til next chapter to find out who she is!) walking towards her." Or, if you like:

"sh starred @ teh women (AN: u r gunna hav 2 wait til nxt chap 2 fnd out hu sh iz!!11) workin 2wadz her."

9/14/2008 #26
Saber Apricot

Ooh, you mentioned a good one, Imperfection-101. Author notes within a story are so bad.

Example one:

"Huh? Oh no no no, of course not I really doubt that I mean I've only been practicing it for just 15 years I really don't think so," Sakura blurted out in nervousness obviously being as modest as possible ().

(A/N: For those of you who watch or read Fruits Basket, think of how Tohru Honda acts when people give her compliments.)

"So how long have you been a priestess for?" Arwen asked changing the subject for her.

"All my life...since the very day I was born...which is sorta surprising being that most people who are priestesses must prove themselves first at a certain age," Sakura replied.

Example two:

Sakura bowed respectively."Thank you so much. I'd wish to change beforeI head to the archery field first so I'll meet him down there," she stated before leaving Elrond to go to her guest room. It was there that Sakura changed into a mellow pink, short sleevedcombat dress that fell to her knees. There were splits on both sides that came up to her hips so underneath the dress she wore black shorts. Strapped around her waist was a small pouch that held Sakura's shurikens, kunais, and jutsu scrolls. Also, strapped on her left side was her katana.(A/N:Think of Sakura Haruno's outfit from Naruto only my character's outfit is pinker)After she changed, Sakura headed down the archery field where the archer from Rivendell's troops awaited her.

9/14/2008 #27
Lei-lassassin

Things I hate:

- Poor Grammar/spelling.

- Mary-Sues/Gary-Stus.

- Chatspeak.

- n00b PMs when you give Constructive Criticism.

9/14/2008 #28
Saber Apricot

- n00b PMs when you give Constructive Criticism.

Do they send you messages telling you not to read it if you don't like it, that they won't make the changes you suggested (including the grammar, punctuation, and spelling), and that it's their story so they can do what they want with it?

9/14/2008 . Edited 9/14/2008 #29
Robert Strand

When people insert an author's note mid-sentence.

That and they have no relevance to the story at all.

9/14/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Omnipotent One Envy Omnipotent One Vanity
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member