Dante's Inferno
So you want to laugh at the N00BI3S and StuSuethors. This is the place. We never sleep. Come hang out and talk about anything, but you are on your own if you see foul language. Formerly the L.F.E.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 .. Last Next »
Saber Wing

Your A/N complaint reminded me of something else: People not remembering the name of someone/something from the fandom.

Oh yeah, that's definitely another one. That, or when they know their name but spell it wrong -_-

5/10/2010 #841
Paisley Mae

Oh lord, I just received my first flaming reply when I offered a little constructive criticism. Some people need to get over themselves. "If you don't like it, don't read it." ~ In my honest opinion, that statement makes the writer sound so puerile.

Most people thank me for constructive criticism. :| If people can't handle constructive criticism, they really shouldn't be posting their writings on the internet.

5/11/2010 . Edited 5/11/2010 #842
suena

I hate it when the characters suddenly end up in love after just BARELY meeting each other. Come on now add a little more depth than that.

5/11/2010 #843
melisse

I hate it when the characters suddenly end up in love after just BARELY meeting each other. Come on now add a little more depth than that.

Yes, that one is annoying. And especially if after only one week or so they begin with declarations of love. It's just not realistic for me. The characters come off as people with their heads permanently in the clouds, but most of the time these characters are the kind of people who are very grounded and wouldn't start saying things like 'I love you' after only one week!

Other things I don't like...

Making canon characters too perfect

Yes, some people are extraordinary. They are good people, they are brave, capable and try to good things. But don't push it, don't turn them into their own mary sues or gary stus. If I'm beginning to wondering why they just don't erect a statue or begin to worship that certain character seeing as everyone so gravitates to that character and he/she seems so perfect, then there is something wrong. The story just isn't interesting anymore if you don't allow him/her to have flaws.

Another pet peeve of mine... Okay, I totally get that warriors and heroes who get faced with dangerous situations are more likely to get (severily) wounded that someone sitting on a chair behind a laptop all day, I totally do. But there are some writers out there that overdo it and make it sound as if those characters spend more time in than out a hospital and are very accident prone. Then it becomes unrealistic for me. For example, I don't buy it that Elrond would make Legolas part of the fellowship if he is so accident prone that he never managed to complete a mission without ending up in the infirmary for at least a week! It doesn't make any sense to me that they would make such accident prone characters part of dangerous missions of all kind, no matter how good they can fight, if they can't manage to get through them once in a while without any wounds at all. It makes them sound rather incapable.

5/12/2010 . Edited 5/12/2010 #844
Vossago

On TV Tropes, we call "making canon characters too perfect" a Possession Sue. It's not just original characters, if you make an existing character too overpowered then it's still bad writing.

It can be hard to balance between too perfect and too accident prone. You want your characters to succeed, but you don't want it to be over without a struggle. I'm sure there are other ways of creating setbacks other than "Legolas broke his leg for the fifth time this week."

5/12/2010 #845
PikaYoshiGirl

When the author keeps the characters perfectly in character, but changes around their physical characteristics, such as hair color, eye color, or age.

For example, I recently read a fic where everyone was perfectly in character, but it changed for the worse once I found out that the main character's pink hair got dyed blonde. If you screw around with what someone looks like, with what you have left still be called the same person? It's like they're so close yet so far away...

5/12/2010 . Edited 5/12/2010 #846
Wildcard999
It can be pretty hard making an AU not look OOC. I start all my stories assuming they are AU, just so I don't feel limited by canon (I hate limitations), but I made a mistake with one AU. I didn't properly explain why one of the characters was such a tightly-wound ball of surpassed rage. I mean, it was perfectly IC for him to be like that, but not to the point where his ethics would be compromised. And although I know why his ethics were compromised, I didn't tell the reader. It was the whole "decent into the abyss as the brooding hero, pushed one step too far, single-mindedly pursues the man he believes to be the cause of all the pain in his life" kind of thing. Perfectly IC. It just never actually made it into my fic. Which means I need to figure out the missing years between canon and the fic I already wrote and come up with something that tells the reader this stuff so it doesn't seem OOC anymore.

Ian0: Oh. Well, I don't know GIR, but IZ is Invader Zim, a cartoon fandom that Relm is nuts about.

Pika: What's wrong with dying the hair blonde? So long as it was explained, I really don't see the problem. I mean, if they just suddenly made it blonde, that would suck. But getting a dye job doesn't sound like such a bad thing to me.

Not that Maxine Gibson would do that. (Is that who you meant?)

Vossago: I get your point and it's a really good point. My A/N's don't really explain things so much as prepare the reader for what they're about to read. I know that some people don't like the kinds of things I write about, and being as I've been on their end before, I make sure to tell them before hand so it isn't such a surprise.

Although I had no idea people would write about fandom stuff they can't even remember! That sounds so stupid. I remember when I had trouble remembering the right term for a main CC's weapon. I went scrambling around trying to find it, watched every episode I had (only the last of five seasons), tried Youtube and got nowhere and even posted on the fandom forums. I finally got an answer from the forums (thank god), but I wasn't going to post the fic until I had my answers. Truthfully, that was the last holdout and it postponed the fic two days.

I do try to be as accurate as possible, but getting names wrong (or just not remembering them) is inexcusable. I remember one fic where a guy got two of the three Robins mixed up and had Jason (the jerk the writers killed off because of fan hatred) as the third Robin instead of the second. This may not seem like a lot to you, but Tim (Robin number three) was constantly catching shit from everyone because of the train wreck of a Robin that Jason was.

But hey, at least the guy knew their names and approximate histories, even if he gave Jason half of each.

Whizz: Yeah, there's too many people posting on this site just to get attention. Fragile egos and all that. As for the 'don't like, don't read' excuse―I hate that! It's so stupid! I mean, how can someone not read sometime they didn't like if they had to read it to find that out in the first place? Are they supposed to UNread it? How does that work?

[/rant]

Sorry, I just REALLY hate that one.

5/12/2010 . Edited 5/12/2010 #847
Bbbleblish

Just reading through a lot of this now for the first time and this is all very helpful information of what I shouldn't do in my own fic. Thanks for all your posts everyone :)

5/12/2010 #848
HK-47 Scarlet

Just reading through a lot of this now for the first time and this is all very helpful information of what I shouldn't do in my own fic. Thanks for all your posts everyone :)

It's good to know our rants are helping someone! :]

5/12/2010 #849
Paisley Mae

It bothers me when people post their first chapter as an 'informational' or 'summary' chapter, and there's actually no story. Then they post something like "if you want me to continue, please review!" or "Don't review this chapter, it's only an informational chapter!!!"

Why not just post your first chapter right off the back? I would rather find out the information in text rather than just being told it. And I hate when people list all the ages, it's really irrelevant. If the age of the character must be stated, say it in the writing. Like "Five year old Anna said..." Long lists of the characters and their ages are unnecessary.

It's also annoying when people post author's notes as chapters... isn't that like against the terms of service?

5/13/2010 . Edited 5/13/2010 #850
Saber Wing

Most people thank me for constructive criticism. :| If people can't handle constructive criticism, they really shouldn't be posting their writings

Oh, I get those all the time. One recently created a community for, "Haterz," on her profile just so she could put one of my stories in it. All because I left her a two line review XD. If you can't handle constructive criticism, don't write.

As has been said, I hate when characters in a story jump into a relationship without any development beforehand. I also hate when people post a, "Summary" chapter.

5/13/2010 #851
otherrealmwriter

It bothers me when people post their first chapter as an 'informational' or 'summary' chapter, and there's actually no story. Then they post something like "if you want me to continue, please review!" or "Don't review this chapter, it's only an informational chapter!!!"

Why not just post your first chapter right off the back? I would rather find out the information in text rather than just being told it. And I hate when people list all the ages, it's really irrelevant. If the age of the character must be stated, say it in the writing. Like "Five year old Anna said..." Long lists of the characters and their ages are unnecessary.

It's also annoying when people post author's notes as chapters... isn't that like against the terms of service?

It is and I hate those. I have only seen one story where I let it slide because the author was good. I often get on authors for that because 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time it is some fanfail whininging.

Most people thank me for constructive criticism. :| If people can't handle constructive criticism, they really shouldn't be posting their writings

Most people thank me too. If you can't handle concrit,GTFO FFN

I hate when people keep pestering me to update. I have a story where someone keeps reviewing begging me to update! :(

5/14/2010 . Edited 5/14/2010 #852
vigilante'sgirl

I know what you mean, I can't stand stories that are based on sex and only sex. I mean, nobody wants to read that unless they are a horny perv. or just plain weird. There is abosutly no thought put into put into the plot and after a while your just sitting there going, "Eww." Those stories are the type that Adolecent girls read when they want a reason to blush, squeal, or do both.

5/15/2010 #853
arielise

Haha I went through phase where I used to read those stories that were just about sex. They soon got very old to me and then I got to the point where I thought they were just terrible, it was the same way with the stupid Crack fics I used to find hilarious. I hate them now, I can't stand to read stories anymore with out a decent plot.

5/15/2010 #854
sally's sister

I know what you mean, I can't stand stories that are based on sex and only sex.

Those would be those PWP stories, and the reader really should be warned beforehand. And if that's been taken care of, then I'd say the rule don't like, don't read actually applies.

I mean, nobody wants to read that unless they are a horny perv. or just plain weird.

...There must be a lot of those running around, then. XD; Anyway, I wouldn't draw conclusions quite that easily. -shrug-

Those stories are the type that Adolecent girls read when they want a reason to blush, squeal, or do both.

I stumbled upon one once, read it out of curiosity, and did neither. /shot ...But seriously, here I have to throw in that it was extremely well-written. It was pretty graphic, mind you, but wouldn't trigger off any disgust; you could tell that they knew what they were talking about, in any case. So, yes, it all depends to me. Those amateur fics following the concept "Let's do it." make me laugh. Just leave it, kiddos. XD

5/15/2010 . Edited 5/16/2010 #855
vigilante'sgirl

Well, thank goodness I haven't gone through that phase yet, Ange. You don't mind if I call you Ange, do you?

5/15/2010 #856
KJMathers

Things I hate in fanfiction? Hmm...

Incorrect spelling and grammar. I'm guilty of being a lazy bones too. I need to fix those. But over use of incorrect spelling and grammar makes me go crazy.

Not labeling yaoi and yuri. When you open a fic to read and don't find out until later on what it's about. Yeah...*shudders*

5/15/2010 #857
vigilante'sgirl

I am unaware of who they are, mainly becuase I don't have anything resembeling Cable of Tevo, but one thing that gets on my nerves is when someone sends you a negative review and cuses every other word. That irritates me beond a doubt.

5/15/2010 #858
KJMathers

I've been lucky enough not to receive a flame with every other word a curse. Though I did have someone flame me in part because I used a variant spelling of blonde.

5/15/2010 #859
vigilante'sgirl

Oh, what was the spelling?

5/15/2010 #860
KJMathers

I can't remember exactly who was on what side (it was two years ago and I have long disposed of the fic), but it was a blonde v. blond quandry. If the bit of memory serves correct I spelled it with an 'e'.

5/15/2010 #861
vigilante'sgirl

Well, whats so bad about that? I mean, thats how i spell it and spellcheck has never said that i was wrong.

5/15/2010 #862
KJMathers

I don't know what's wrong with it. Back then I couldn't see how anything the person said was wrong. Now I've looked at my writing 2 years later, I see that story was fail.

Still, blonde v. blond. Come on. -_-

It's so silly

5/15/2010 #863
vigilante'sgirl

ya, no joke. Another thing that bothers me is when to much time is spent discribing things or people.

5/15/2010 #864
Paisley Mae

I guess "blond" is supposed to be used to describe males, and "blonde" is supposed to be used to describe females.

But really, who cares? XD Edit: As for descriptions, I like descriptive writing. The more description the better, in my opinion. In fact, I've been working on describing scenes better. :/

5/15/2010 . Edited 5/15/2010 #865
KJMathers

Descriptive=good. So long as it's a place or setting. Something to that extent. I don't want several paragraphs explaining how perfect a sue is.

5/15/2010 #866
vigilante'sgirl

ya, but i dont want to know what color every stinking leaf is or car or whatever. ya know?

5/15/2010 #867
KJMathers

yeah, that makes sense

5/15/2010 #868
vigilante'sgirl

I'm glad.

5/15/2010 #869
KJMathers

Yeah...

Script form is also an annoyance (people still do it eve though I think it's against guidelines) And ignorance to the fact that there are punctuation and capitalization keys on the keyboard. I hate when people ignore those.

5/15/2010 #870
« Prev Page 1 .. 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Omnipotent One Envy Omnipotent One Vanity
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member