The School RPG
It's a school that's more than just a school! run almost entirely by students, a majority of them, aren't even human! Make friends, find love, fight, debate- anything! Within the rules, of course. All welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
livinglife

She held it carefully. "Thank you sir."

"Thank you sir!" Several of the other kids chimed.

--

Once they had all gotten a share, their conversation picked up from where they had left it. "We won't be on the census, I can tell you that. They don't know we even live here. But if Atlantis is in danger, then we are too. We can't just let this happen."

8/1/2012 #61
spearofhope

"Of course, you're very welcome." He responded, glad to hear them be so polite.

--

The Woman floated forward, "The City Dwellers seem eager to deny the 'commands' of the Ancients." She said, "And those outside the City do not have the means to fulfill them on their own. With luck, the people will calm soon, and see reason."

8/1/2012 #62
livinglife

They swam off to resume their games elsewhere.

"You're too soft hearted." A woman's voice said gently, behind him. "If you give your money away to all the beggers here you'll go broke."

--

"I am concerned that the Ancients will use this as an opportunity to punish those who worship Yotah." The same man said, looking up at her. "They are gods. They must know that this will not go over well."

8/1/2012 #63
spearofhope

"Then I will be Broke." The Officiate said, turning, "And a Thousand Mer will be less poor for it."

--

"Yotah is a God as well, a truer one than them." The Woman stated, "Power makes people Powerful, it does not make them Gods. Age makes people Old, not wise."

8/1/2012 #64
livinglife

"Until they spend what you gave them, which will happen almost immediately." She was a dark purple mermaid, with an elegant flowing dorsal fin and a kind expression on her face.

--

"We know nothing of Yotah other than the fact that he changed all of you. The Ancients exist, and have had our best interests before."

8/1/2012 #65
spearofhope

"Yes. And that makes no difference."

--

"If they cause a war, it will not be for your best interests."

8/1/2012 #66
livinglife

"If you really want to help, Mr. Officiator... well, we could use some funds for a program to teach the students out of the home."

--

"It could be just what we need, though. To be able to gain our equality."

(I'm really sorry, I'm exhausted. Goodnight, Spear.)

8/1/2012 #67
spearofhope

"I wish I could help." He responded, "But there is nothing I can do like that. Your funds would have to come from more people than just one."

--

"We all know that a war like that will destroy you, not elevate you."

8/2/2012 #68
livinglife

She nodded. "And... this is no time for such endeavors. What do you think, Mr. Officiate? Will your people decide to rebel against the Ancients?"

--

"She's right." Another merman said, crossing his arms. "And in any case, there is nothing we can do to sway the decision one way or another."

8/2/2012 #69
spearofhope

"Now is a better time than any other. I will try to raise whatever funds I can, but it will rely on the charity of others." He turned, swishing through the water, before rubbing his chin. "As for that, I cannot say."

(I want to know more about this changed type)

--

"...Not Overtly, no." The woman said slowly.

8/2/2012 #70
livinglife

(Changed or unchanged? The ones that look like fictional mermaids are those changed by Yotah. They look like typical mermaids, but with fin like ears, gills, black eyes and scaley forearms and hands. Their fingers are webbed, and they have a single tail, although they have been granted the power to split it into two if they need to stand. Most of them are changed mermaids.)

"Why do you come here? Why do you help us?... few others would give us the same kindness."

--

"What do you mean?" The first man asked, rubbing the fin on his ear.

8/2/2012 #71
spearofhope

(I said Changed. Yeah, that much I know. I just want to know more. :])

"I am not those others. And I represent all. This is not new."

--

"If we could... covertly... guide their decision..."

8/2/2012 #72
livinglife

(Such as?)

The woman paused, and nodded. "Yes, I know. I just don't understand."

--

"I like the sound of that." He smiled. "But we'll have to come to our own first."

8/2/2012 #73
spearofhope

(That their social status is, how they behave, how they live, how they're different. What they think.)

"That is unfortunate." He stated.

--

"There is only one decision to make. One which leads to war, and one which leads to peace."

8/2/2012 #74
livinglife

(The changed mer see themselves as higher class than the freshwater mer and the unchanged mer. Blessed by Yotah, lifted up to a higher state of being. Only a handful are left who remember the change, and they are all prophets of Yotah. They tend to live in cities and rely more heavily on their technology than freshwater or unchanged mer. They have close familial bonds, and there are several powerful families in each city. They strip metal from shipwrecks and use it for construction of their own buildings. They tend to dislike the unchanged merpeople, and although they don't say so they feel similarly about the freshwater mer. Many are vain, as Freshwater mer all look vaguely similar, like an animal, and unchanged mer follow the same sort of look every time too. Since their appearances all can vary greatly they get caught up in their looks. When Yotah affected them he did more than change their appearance. He made them more human. Made them think with greed in their hearts.)

"You saw how the children behaved towards you. Even young Yotah'mer yell at us, see us as less."

--

"But which of those do we want..." He said, crossing his arms.

8/2/2012 #75
spearofhope

(That's really interesting. So why did Yotah only change some of them? And are regular Merpeople magically less greedy??)

"Some of them do, yes."

--

"War will only make things worse for you. There is no other way."

8/2/2012 #76
livinglife

(Not magically, but Socially, yes. Yotah changed many mer, but he could only change what he laid eyes on. So he went to cities and changed the mer there, modelling them after legends. He didn't see all of them, and confused the merpeople began to hide, fearing Yotah's curse.)

(Then I presume he was killed by Quin or something similar.)

"... I apologize. It is unnecessary to bring such things up."

--

"But how do we persuade them to be peaceful?"

8/3/2012 #77
spearofhope

(Not by Quin, by a proxy of Quin. Probably merpeople themselves, without ever knowing Quin's name.)

(So the Mer always existed, naturally, like a sentient Animal, but the Yotah'mer were the effects of an Angel/Archon. What about Interbreeding? You mentioned that on the Phone once.)

"If it is something you live with, every day, then it is more than understandable for it to be on your mind."

--

"Less Persuasion and more encouragement. Very Subtle Encouragement."

8/3/2012 #78
livinglife

(WE ARE DIAMONDS!)

(The Yotah'mer and the saltwater mer can have children, but only if a male Yotah'mer breeds with a female non. They produce something akin to a mule- a sterile offspring who cannot produce children with anyone, even other mules. These are very rare. When the Yotah'mer were first changed there were many of these. Some husbands were changed but their wives were outside the city at the time, or outside of Yotah's reach. As the first mules reached mating age and discovered that they were sterile, Yotah'mer began to stay away from the unchanged mer. Obviously Yotah did not want them to associate with the lower species, and had cursed their children. Freshwater mermaids can breed with humans, a fluke of parallel evolution. I'm not sure anyone would have tried with them or the saltwaters though. Yotah'mer were changed by Yotah to be 'better' than what they were. Since they can split their tail, maybe they could have sex with humans? But it'd be unpleasant for both parties. Salt and Fresh can't breed together.)

She glanced away. "Many of our children ask why they were born lower than the rest."

--

"It'd have to be subtle. If it wasn't, then they would turn to war simply because we wanted peace."

8/3/2012 #79
spearofhope

(Damn, that's smart. Makes perfect sense.)

"And what do you tell them?" He asked her.

--

She nodded slowly, "Perhaps. So yes, it will have to be very subtle."

8/3/2012 #80
livinglife

"I tell them that they are different than the Yotah'mer, but not lower. Never lower."

--

"We don't have much time. Tomorrow the big city merfolk will be coming to collect information."

8/3/2012 #81
spearofhope

"And how do they take it?"

--

"Then we will have to work fast, to come up with a solution."

8/3/2012 #82
livinglife

"Some of them are fine with that answer. Others obviously don't think so."

--

More merpeople drew closer. "I bet if we could make them think that this is what Yotah would want they would go along with it."

8/3/2012 #83
spearofhope

"The Children, so often they see more than we do - and always more than we expect."

--

The Mermaid narrowed her eyes, but nodded slowly, "It would certainly convince many of them, yes."

8/3/2012 #84
livinglife

She lowered her gaze. "Someone has abandoned a child here... a newly hatched one. She is... a mix."

--

"We would have to get a prophet on our side, or a preacher."

8/3/2012 #85
spearofhope

"What will you do with her?" He asked.

--

"How do you intend to do that?"

8/3/2012 #86
livinglife

"We... do not know. Perhaps it would be best for us to kill her now... for surely her life will be a sad one."

--

The merpeople were silent. Prophets of Yotah were all old, ancient mer. Impossible to persuade, that is, if you could even find one. Certainly not a feasible plan.

8/3/2012 #87
spearofhope

The Officiator's eyes widened. Did they simply kill children for being different or persecuted? He shook his head, "Never. This is not a good place for her to live, but do not kill her..."

--

"If you hope to convince any mer of God to betray their oaths and profane Yotah merely for... what? Money we do not have? A Vague sense of the greater good? Then you have already lost."

8/4/2012 #88
livinglife

"Perhaps you could find a better place for her, then?" She asked, staring at him. "A little girl who will be doomed to a miserable lonely life?"

--

"Your people-"

"Don't talk to her like that, she's no different than us."

"She's done more to help us than you ever have!"

8/5/2012 #89
spearofhope

"I could certainly look." The Officiate responded, "and I will. But again, this will have to rely on the charity of others. Although a few places come to mind, it will take some doing." He turned his head breathing out lucidly. "What is her name?"

--

"Your-... people" She shouted back at the one who had first responded, "Have lived so far with hate that it has poisoned and filled some of you as well. If you want to try . . . to even have a chance..." She calmed down, "You must think with the head not of an Unchanged Mer, merely with the clear head of someone uncompromised by anger and spite. Because if your judgement is clouded You. Will. Err."

8/5/2012 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Uhm. its me Vee
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member