The School RPG
It's a school that's more than just a school! run almost entirely by students, a majority of them, aren't even human! Make friends, find love, fight, debate- anything! Within the rules, of course. All welcome.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »

Not that the normal rules aren't great...

These are more sort of general RPing guidelines.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming to be an expert on this subject, nor am I suggesting anyone drastically change their RP style to fit these. These are simply suggestions or 'common sense' within the RP community put forth by a guy who REALLY enjoys pretending to be someone else.

Here we go:

1. This is roleplay. If something happens stop and take a minute to think how your character would react. In most cases, your character and you will actually react differently.

2. Reamis' 'BDP' Rule! Or rather; Backstory Dictates Personality. If your character is angry all the time, why? If a situation makes your character a nervous wreck, what has happened that triggers that responce to that event?

3. THE RP IS NOT REAL LIFE!!! I can't stress that enough. An example from my own characters; I went away because I was having an awful time emotionally in the Real World. My characters JD and Owen went on a spiritual journey. Owen did not return, perhaps because the part of me that Owen was an extension of had been calmed down.

4. Plan ahead, by all means. Have an outcome for your character in mind, just don't expect to get there the way you thought. We are not a hivemind and as in life, things don't always go to plan.

5. Relax. Anger, sadness, ridiculous excitement. All of them will un-erringly inform your writing, but don't force your characters to feel them. RPing is like meditation; a break from the Real World and your life.

6. The RP is not the be all and end all. This relates to 5. Don't let the RP stress you out, man. Step back and remember we're all just playing. It's a game.

7. People don't like you telling them what their characters are doing. Characters are an extension of self. For example, a fight scene; 'His fist struck [other character's] face, breaking their nose. Blood everywhere.' is BAD. 'The strike seemed likely to connect. If it did, this was a nose-breaking punch. 'Will the blood wash out of my t-shirt?' He thought.' is GOOD. Leave it open ended. ONLY CREATORS CAN KILL THEIR OWN CHARACTERS!

8. Leave Real World problems out of your character's life. If your cat is dead, your character doesn't know or care. If you force them to do anything they may resent you and hit you with a dose of (the dreaded) writer's block. Characters DO have a life of their own. They DO exist, even if they aren't real.

9. You CAN have too many characters. After a while it gets confusing for others and you. Not only that, but they all become 'diluted' in the process. They begin to share attributes and mannerisms and become unworkable. You don't need different characters for every type of situation. One good character, like a real person, can adapt to any situation thrown at them. Just because your character is usually happy, doesn't mean you need a different one to be sad.

10. This is supposed to be FUN, guys. I've already said it's a game.

11. PERSONALITY CREATION. Dear God, you see tons of 'spunky and outgoing' or 'secretive until you know him/her.' Can we have some diversity? I mean, if anything, base the personality upon yourself or your friends or a combo of the two! No one's the same, so of course there has to be plenty of different personalities! - Courtesy of Bailey-wa

So there it is. If I've left out anything you think is important, just let me know and I'll add it in.

6/27/2008 . Edited by Uhm. its me Vee, 6/29/2008 #1

Amen. Praise the god that is Reamis. I agree on every point you hit.

6/27/2008 #2
Gin's lil kitsune

Sounds like you covered everything,Reamis-kun.

6/27/2008 #3
Uhm. its me Vee

Dude, seriosuly.

Thank you Reamis-kun, thank you. Well said.

this topic's been pinned. :3

6/27/2008 #4

Can I add something else?

6/28/2008 #5

sure, add away!

6/28/2008 #6

I agree, character restriction is a good thing. Something that I don't think has been hit on, though:

Dear God, you see tons of 'spunky and outgoing' or 'secretive until you know him/her.' Can we have some diversity? I mean, if anything, base the personality upon yourself or your friends or a combo of the two! No one's the same, so of course there has to be plenty of different personalities! The BDPis a wonderful rule that everyone should use.

6/28/2008 #7

hmm, i agree

6/28/2008 #8

Great addition Bailey-wa, I'll copy-paste it in as number 11.

Nice to know you all agree and thank you for the pin Val-chan. I just thought people who may not have RPed before may benefit from a little inside knowledge; stuff that regular RPers expect or take for granted.

Your praise has warmed me on this unseasonally cold summer's night.

6/28/2008 #9
Uhm. its me Vee

Welcome. :]]

Good point on personalities.

And just curious, isn't always a bit cold where you are Reamis-kun?

6/28/2008 #10

"52% of days are overcast, so as a nation we're infused with a wistful melancholy" - Bill Bailey, comedian and genius.

Last year we had the warmest day since records began, which was really too hot, but yeah. Our summer tends to last a week, maybe two, with intermittant showers.

England: We Got Rain.

6/28/2008 #11
Uhm. its me Vee

Oh, wow..=O

That sucks.

6/28/2008 #12

Ah, you get used to it.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, there is only the wrong clothes." - Billy Connolly, another comedian and genius.

Still, you want cold? Go to Iceland. Jeez. I aclimatised to it while I was there and when I got home (during winter, this was) I could be outside at night in the rain in a t-shirt and not notice the temperature. It was nice.

6/28/2008 #13
Uhm. its me Vee

Haha. Seriously?

That's insane. but, pretty awesome.

6/28/2008 #14

hey, I changed my pen name for a day or two. It's Fate's Messenger, or Atom.

6/28/2008 #15
Chiisai Shiroi Wolf

I wish I could go back to iceland and england :(

It was nice there.

6/28/2008 #16

England eh? I didnt really like it there when i went, and i thought Quebec was totally cold. I'm not a fan of the cool.

6/28/2008 #17
Chiisai Shiroi Wolf

You know what's weird? I was born during the summer in Iceland. I was born contradicting myself! XD

6/28/2008 . Edited 6/28/2008 #18

Really? I was born as the result of thunder hitting an island in the middle of a rain storm, and making fire. Yeah. All them four elements baby

6/28/2008 #19
Chiisai Shiroi Wolf

6/28/2008 #20

Yes, and because of that, i am now a demi-god of awesomeness

6/28/2008 #21
Chiisai Shiroi Wolf

-blink- what's a demi-god?

6/28/2008 #22

Wolf-chan, dont tell me you're swallowing all this garbage im dishing out lol. A demi-god is like, a god, but, weaker, a half-god

6/28/2008 #23
Chiisai Shiroi Wolf

*blush* O-oh.......really....? wow.....I feel so stupid......////

6/28/2008 #24

hahahaha how cute

Come here you

*hugles and nuggies*

6/28/2008 #25
Chiisai Shiroi Wolf
Yaay! I got a hug! =^^= lol. I'm so pathetically childish XP
6/28/2008 #26

cute though

6/29/2008 #27
Chiisai Shiroi Wolf

you really think so?

6/29/2008 #28

Yes, i honestly do

6/29/2008 #29
Chiisai Shiroi Wolf

You're so nice! -glomps-

6/29/2008 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Uhm. its me Vee
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member