The Garage
You can talk about BTTF. What your fave movie in the trilogy is, fave character, etc.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
bttf4444

With the fateful be being just a little over three years away, now - what do you suppose would be different in BTTF-verse 2012?

Here's one I thought of - concerning my new favourite band, Avenged Sevenfold. In the real world, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan (the drummer for Avenged Sevenfold) died in December of 2009 from a heart condition. In the BTTF Universe, though, I figure that The Rev would still be alive in 2012 (and 2015, for that matter) - because, with the advanced medical technology of the BTTF Universe, The Rev's heart condition could easily be fixed. The Nightmare album would be a little different, too - with The Rev still being alive - but I think only two of the songs would really be different (since the two songs in question were written in memory of The Rev).

7/19/2012 . Edited 7/19/2012 #1
Mrs. Steve Jobs

I think that Marty and Doc would use iPhones, Macs, and iPods. :)

8/17/2012 #2
WinchesterShepherd
The DeLorean would probably be more hightech inside :) ( you know, like a touch screen destination thing) :)
8/19/2012 #3
bttf4444

Amy Winehouse maybe would also still be alive in the BTTF Universe, as would Ronnie James Dio. Certainly Ronnie James Dio, anyway.

8/25/2012 . Edited 8/25/2012 #4
Freebird87

I think they would still be dead. I don't understand why anyone would keep any real people alive in alternate universes unless maybe keeping them alive would make some sort of huge impact on history.

8/25/2012 . Edited 8/26/2012 #5
bttf4444

I was thinking of the advanced medication part. Like how, in the BTTF Universe, Doc was able to get a rejuvenation overhaul in the future - whereas, in "our" universe, that isn't yet possible. On second thought, I don't know about Amy Winehouse - since her death was due to a drug overdose. The deaths of Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Ronnie James Dio could probably be prevented, though - since both had conditions that are probably more treatable, in the BTTF Universe.

Although, being a rather big Avenged Sevenfold fan - it would, admittedly, be a bit hard to imagine exactly how the Nightmare album (and any future music they plan to record) would be different. There is a demo version of the song Nightmare, though - which was recorded, while The Rev was still alive.

8/26/2012 . Edited 8/26/2012 #6
Freebird87

Would Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston still be alive as well?

8/26/2012 #7
bttf4444

Probably they would. Probably most of the people who died of causes other than of old age, murder, or suicide would still be alive. Although, Doc was 65 - or, if we go by his age as established in The Game, 72 - so it might be possible for people in their 70s to get rejuvenation overhaul surgery. I haven't decided, yet, when it would be available to the public.

Other than the Jaws franchise and Miami Gaters, the BTTF Universe didn't start to look not start to diverge dramatically until the year 2002. I picked the year 2002, since that was the year Spin City ended.

8/26/2012 #8
Freebird87

In my bttf 2015, there was no extended Jaws franchise or Miami Gators. My bttf 2015 is considerably different from the movie's 2015.

8/26/2012 #9
bttf4444

Oh, okay, I guess that's why we sorta disagree on this. I do remember you mentioning your theory that the 2015 Doc and Marty saw wasn't the actual 2015, but a possibility of what their future may be like.

8/26/2012 #10
bttf4444

Even though, as a general rule, I don't like the idea of Doc staying in the past (Descendants of Doc Universe notwithstanding) - I think it's cool how Mike Nichols handled the whole 2015 situation. With Doc staying in the past, the future ends of resembling "ours" a lot more.

I think the most problematic aspect of the whole situation are all those fax machines - which hardly anyone has, anymore. I guess it could best be hand-waved, though, by saying that Marty was too poor to keep up with the latest technology.

8/27/2012 . Edited 8/27/2012 #11
Freebird87

Or we can say that fax machines were still common in the timeline Marty and Doc visited. After all, laser discs only recently became obsolete in that timeline. I don't think Marty was even really all that poor in that timeline.

8/27/2012 #12
bttf4444

Yeah, Marty probably wasn't all that poor. There are certainly several factors to take into consideration. Of course, there was no way that the Bobs could have predicted the future - and they weren't trying to aim towards a realistic future. While many things about BTTF-verse 2015 certainly seem more advanced than "our" advanced - other things did seem a little less advanced, such as the presence of fax machines and laser discs.

I'll have to do some more thinking on this one, myself. When I started getting into Back to the Future in 2006, 2015 still seemed to be quite a ways away - but, now, we're only a little over three years away from that fateful date.

8/27/2012 #13
bttf4444

Today has been three years since Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan from Avenged Sevenfold passed away. But, in the BTTF Universe, this day has no significance - since the advanced medicine was able to fix Jimmy's heart condition.

I don't know if anyone else here really cares about Avenged Sevenfold - but I do, so...

12/28/2012 #14
Forum Moderators: Phish Tacko
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member