The Sober Universe
This is the forum to discuss materials relating to the Sober Universe SU. The Sober Universe is the canon material excluding interviews, documentaries, and additional material from JKR.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
ToManyLetters

So, yeah. There are certainly other challenges like this one out there, but have you ever done a challenge like this using a quote database put together by ToManyLetters? Of course not!

So, here's how it'll work.

Step One

Pick a number from 1 to 75. That'll get you your quote.

Step Two

Choose a difficulty.

Easy: You may choose your pairing/character. No second prompt.

Medium. Choose one character to be part the pairing that will be assigned to you. You will not be given a second prompt, but you may ask for one.

Hard: Your pairing/character will be assigned to you. You may opt-out of slash/femmeslash/squick pairings - just say what you are NOT willing to write beforehand. You will also be given a second prompt.

Step Three

Post the number and difficulty of your choice, then wait for me to respond to you. The wait could be as long as twelve hours.

Step Four

Using the information you've gotten after choosing your difficulty, write the challenge response.

Step Five.

Post a link here so we can read your story!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge Statistics

Total Number of Participants: 30

Total Number of Entries: 34

Number of Participants from The Sober Universe: 6

Number of Participants from Harry Potter Fanfiction Challenges: 24

Claimed Quote Numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 33, 34, 37, 42, 45, 47, 55, 62, 63, 66, 71, 73, 74, 75

Completed Entries: 9

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Participants

SU - Bad Mum - #47 - [Billy Weasley/Fleur Delacour] - No Prompt

SU - FirstYear - #17 - [Harry Potter/Lavender Brown] - Heartache - A Much Greater Hunger

HPFC - DanceThroughMyStory - #7 - [Lily Luna Potter/Lysander Scamander] - Butterflies - Papilio Antimachus

SU - Metacognitive - #34 - [Ron Weasley/Gabrielle Delacour] - Doubles - For Her

HPFC - Smile Life Away - #5 - [Charlie Weasley/Nymphadora Tonks] - No Prompt

SU - RespiteChristopher - #71 [Albus Severus Potter/Rose Weasley] - Sleepover

HPFC - SeriouslySiriusBlack - #23 [Severus Snape/Lily Evans Potter] - No Prompt

HPFC - PotterAddict1210 - #62 [Hermione Granger/Luna Lovegood] - Experiment

HPFC - DayDreamingDormouse - #15 [Scorpius Malfoy/Rose Weasley] - Wilted

HPFC - Schermionie - #3 [Neville Longbottom/Victoire Weasley] - No Prompt

HPFC - Tezuka's Girl - #1 [Draco Malfoy/Hermione Granger] - No Prompt

HPFC - Tezuka's Girl - #75 [Draco Malfoy/Hermione Granger] - No Prompt

HPFC - Love From A Muggle - #25 [?/Bellatrix Lestrange] - Necessity - Raising_Hell_With_Pleasure

HPFC - The Violet Queen - #6 - [Neville Longbottom/Luna Lovegood] - Daybreak - Sunrise

HPFC - Jen Kritique - #42 -[Teddy Lupin/Lily Luna Potter] - Starlight

HPFC - lightblue-Nymphadora - #55 - [Harry Potter/Nymphadora Tonks] - No Prompt - 4 AM Cupcakes

HPFC - bittersweet cupcakes4 - #8 - [Marcus Flint/Lavender Brown] - Accidents

HPFC - AliceSpeak - #63 - [Harry Potter/Pansy Parkinson]- Firefly

SU - FirstYear - #18 - [Harry Potter/Hermione Granger] - Escapade - The Escapade

SU - Memories Left Abandoned - #45 - [Hermione Granger/Luna Lovegood] - No Prompt

SU - Shuna - #74 - [Ron Weasley/Ginny Weasley/Hermione Granger] - Serendipity

HPFC - SincerelyPinkPanties - #37 - [Hermione Granger/Luna Lovegood] - The Next Step and Happenstance

HPFC - LooneyLovey - #19 - [Lord Voldemort/Hermione Granger] - No Prompt

HPFC - Lumos Maximum - #10 - [Harry Potter/Lavender Brown] - Aftermath - Aftermath

HPFC - RoseScor90 - #33 - [Harry Potter/Astoria Greengrass] - Eloquence

HPFC - Lumos Maximum - #4 - [Draco Malfoy/Neville Longbottom] - Mistaken

HPFC - MsLlamaLover - #73 - [Severus Snape/Lily Evans] - Dance

HPFC - DramioneLurver - #13 - [Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley] - Touchable

HPFC - Cassy21 - #21 - [?/?] - No Prompt

HPFC - Love From A Muggle - #2 - [?/?] - No Prompt

HPFC - comebacksirius - #12 - [?/?] - No Prompt

HPFC - Slytherin Head - #20 - [Tobias Snape/Moaning Myrtle] - No Prompt

HPFC - Samantha Violet - #66 - [Draco Malfoy/Cho Chang] - No Prompt

HPFC - Angel-of-Cake - #24 [Harry Potter/Fleur Delacour] - Two become one - Looking Back

8/5/2010 . Edited 2/4/2011 #1
Bad Mum

I'll bite, but I'm going for easy as my Muse is - delicate - right now.

8/5/2010 #2
ToManyLetters

Okay, easy it is. What pairing do you think you'll take? =-D

Quote 47 is as follows:

"Having you pity me makes me want to jump off this cliff."

Quote Source: Rita from Tales of Vesperia

8/5/2010 . Edited 8/5/2010 #3
Bad Mum

What pairing do you think you'll take? =-D

Can I sleep on it? Though I'll probably be ultra-predictable and go with Bleur.

8/5/2010 #4
ToManyLetters

Can I sleep on it? Though I'll probably be ultra-predictable and go with Bleur.

Sure. I laughed when I copied that quote from the list. It'll be hilarious, whatever pairing you write for it. Of that I'm sure.

8/5/2010 #5
Bad Mum

Just for that, I'll make it super-angsty!

8/5/2010 #6
ToManyLetters

Oooh. Now I'm gunna giggle harder. That really is #47, though. There were no tricks involved in the selection. I could PM you the list in chunks, if you'd like.

8/5/2010 #7
Bad Mum

No, I trust you :-)

8/5/2010 #8
ToManyLetters

I was hoping you did. But I thought you could have had an interest in seeing the rest anyway. =-D

I'll be off for a while. Good luck!

8/5/2010 #9
FirstYear

I shouldn't...but here I am picking number 17.

I'll take hard. However, that said no slash/Fem...animals...you know. Also...not seeing the prompt....does it have to appear in the story....or just set up the story?

8/5/2010 #10
ToManyLetters

Okay, FirstYear.

Quote seventeen is as follows:

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

Quote Source: Emperor Terhan, The Coming of Shadows; Babylon 5, Season 2, Episode 9

Your pairing is: Harry Potter and Lavender Brown

And your prompt is: Heartache

----------------------------

Neither the quote nor the prompt is required to make a word-for-word appearance in the challenge response, but you get lots of extra awesome points if you do it well. =-D

8/5/2010 . Edited 8/5/2010 #11
FirstYear

Deadline? Length? Now, what I know of Lavender would rattle around in the bottom of a thimble...but love the quote.

8/5/2010 #12
ToManyLetters

Length ought to be 600+ words. Deadline, like the rest here at SU, is really lax. Whenever, but soon.

8/6/2010 #13
Bad Mum

Okay, I have the tiniest of bunnies for mine. It will be Bill and Fleur.

8/6/2010 #14
laratoncita

I'll try it. Can I get number 34? Difficulty: hard, please. And should all stories be over 600 words?

8/6/2010 #15
ToManyLetters

Okay, quote number 34 is as follows:

"I've always said you can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than you can with just a kind word."

Source: Marcus Cole, Ceremonies of Light and Dark; Babylon 5, Season 3, Episode 11

Your pairing is Ron Weasley and Gabrielle Delacour.

Your prompt is doubles.

--------------------------------------

To meet the length 'requirement' for this challenge, the story ought to be at least 600 words.

8/6/2010 . Edited 8/6/2010 #16
Respitini

Quote #71, please. Difficulty: Hard. Squick: "Bad Boys" (Draco, Snape, Lucius, assorted Death Eaters) as love interests. Other than that, bring it.

(BTW, awesome challenge.)

8/6/2010 #17
ToManyLetters

Quote number 71 is as follows:

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about but few have seen."

Source: Francois de La Rochefoucauld

-------------------------

Are you saying that you don't want the Death Eaters as love interests? Are you okay with 'squick'? I'm not completely clear...

8/6/2010 . Edited 8/6/2010 #18
Respitini

Are you saying that you don't want the Death Eaters as love interests? Are you okay with 'squick'? I'm not completely clear...

I'm saying I'd rather write Filch/Hagrid with a prompt of "Watersports" than write Draco/anyone, Snape/anyone, Lucius/Anyone, etc.

8/6/2010 #19
ToManyLetters

Okay.

How squicky will you go? I want to assign someone a strange pairing. Slash? Femmeslash? Incest? Age gap? Anything you don't want to do?

8/6/2010 #20
Respitini

How squicky will you go? I want to assign someone a strange pairing. Slash? Femmeslash? Incest? Age gap? Anything you don't want to do?

Bring it.

8/6/2010 #21
ToManyLetters

Bring it.

Okay, then, your pairing is Albus Severus Potter and Rose Weasley.

Your prompt is sleepover.

8/6/2010 . Edited 8/6/2010 #22
Respitini

You certainly did bring it.

Eep. Way out of my comfort zone, but at least I'm familiar with the era/characters.

I shall not disappoint.

8/6/2010 #23
ToManyLetters

You certainly did bring it.

I did let you off a little. I considered giving you Ron Weasley / Lily Luna Potter and also considered Ginny Weasley / Rose Weasley, but I figured that was... a bit excessive.

Eep. Way out of my comfort zone, but at least I'm familiar with the era/characters.

Yep, yep. You don't have to make them do something NC-17 rated, either. Heck, they could be ten and interested in kissing... who knows? Kids do stuff, they don't care about blood.

I shall not disappoint.

You never do. =D

8/6/2010 #24
ToManyLetters

Zomg... now I want to write something on that pairing, too. LOL. What would happen in a game of spin the bottle if Rose just happened to get Albus... lol.

8/6/2010 #25
Respitini

Zomg... now I want to write something on that pairing, too. LOL. What would happen in a game of spin the bottle if Rose just happened to get Albus... lol.

Wow. You know, I never would have picked you for an incest fan. I'm generally not. That said, while I appreciate the out you gave me, I already have a bunny, and the characters certainly aren't 10.

8/6/2010 #26
ToManyLetters

That said, while I appreciate the out you gave me, I already have a bunny, and the characters certainly aren't 10.

Wow? The bunnies-a-hoppin'? Cool. I love it when ideas flow fast.

You know, I never would have picked you for an incest fan.

It's weird. I read one Ron/Ginny and ever since I've been interested in specific incest pairings. Ron/Ginny is the only Ginny/Brother pairing I can do, though. I haven't done much in the Albus Severus/Rose or Albus Severus/Lily Luna, etc. (basically anything nextgen), but I'll have to go dig around a bit. There was a good story in Spanish I read. I'll find it and translate it for you real quick.

8/6/2010 . Edited 8/6/2010 #27
ToManyLetters

Okay, so it is a translation. It's just not the same in English, but you can understand it, at least. The idea is kind of sweet.

----------------------------------

Rock and Moist Kisses

Rose Weasley likes lots of things. She loves rainy evenings, reading a good book seated by the fire, the sound of a pen as it draws its ink over the parchment, the gentle breeze of spring, the joy of eating a piece of chocolate, talking to her friends, the colour red, and family reunions.

Yes. Rose likes all those things, but she loves nothing more than rock music. Loud and heavy rock, that moves your whole body so naturally; rock that contradicts her very appearance - a ordered and responsible girl, because rock is pure chaos. Delicious, magnificent chaos.

If you ask her why she likes it, she'll shrug her shoulders and simply ask you 'Why shouldn't I?". What she won't share with you for sure, of course, is the real reason she loves rock music. It all began one summer afternoon - her parents had gone out, leaving she and Hugo with her Uncle Harry and Aunt Ginny.

She wouldn't tell you that, when everyone else went at Diagon Alley, she and her cousin James would prefer to stay at home. She wouldn't tell you that James would look at her with a wicked grin, leaned against the wall, inviting her into his room - and she'd join him like a partner in crime. She'd never mention that James blared rock music on his radio, she'd never tell you about what happened after the kiss they shared, nor just how eagerly she responded to it...

She'd certainly never tell you what happened in that room while her aunt and uncle weren't home and the rock was up to full volume.

Yeah, Rose Weasley likes rock music, because when hears it, she can see James, leant against a wall with that mischievous grin on his face. She can feel the excitement built within her as she does...

Yeah, Rose Weasley loves rock music - but she prefers the moist kisses and mischievous smiles of James Sirius Potter.

8/6/2010 . Edited 8/7/2010 #28
ToManyLetters

I'm off for the night. I'll be back again tomorrow, of course. Ciao, till then.

8/6/2010 #29
FirstYear

A Much Greater Hunger

The muse was home all day...bless her cold little heart.

I don't think this is what you had in mind but it seemed to fit too good to pass up.

8/6/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: ToManyLetters
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member