The Sober Universe
This is the forum to discuss materials relating to the Sober Universe SU. The Sober Universe is the canon material excluding interviews, documentaries, and additional material from JKR.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
ToManyLetters

So, this is probably a very strange way to do a challenge, but I imagine many of you will enjoy it nonetheless.

So, here's how it'll work. Have you ever typed some short sentence into Google, only to have autocomplete spit something way weird back at you? Yeah, that's basically how this'll work.

Similar to my Quote Challenge, there will be four difficulties. All of them require a three-word phrase from you, should you participate. Please state your squick preferences as listed further below. After you give me the three words, I'll 'autocomplete' you, giving you a sentence or phrase that will serve for your prompt.

Easy

You pick your pairing entirely. Your autocomplete prompt will be less terrifying, though possibly still a challenge.

Medium

You pick one of the two [or more] people in your pairing, and I'll provide the other[s]. Your autocomplete prompt will be somewhat terrifying and a decent challenge.

Hard

Your pairing will be assigned to you. Your autocomplete prompt will be moderately terrifying and a decent challenge.

Insane

Your pairing will be assigned to you - and it won't be easy. You will also be given a second prompt to incorporate. Your autocomplete will be moderately terrifying and a hard challenge.

As with the Quote Challenge, you may opt-out of squick pairings. Simply state that you'd prefer not to write any of the following types of squick: slash, femmeslash, incest, rape, crossgen, age-gap, bestiality, or other [specify].

The story should be a oneshot and its length should be somewhere between 650 and 25,000 words.

Participants

1. HPFC [SiriusMarauderFan] - Insane - Ron Weasley/Argus Filch - At First Sight

2. HPFC [hot chocolate mess] - Insane - Severus Snape/Luna Lovegood

3. HPFC [pippi55] - Medium - Lucius Malfoy/Apolline Delacour

4. HPFC [Schermionie] - Easy - ?

5. HPFC [Ivy-clover] - Hard - Hugo Weasley/Lily Luna Potter

6. HPFC [RoseScor90] - Easy - Scorpius Malfoy/Rose Weasley

7. HPFC [JustYourAverageRavenclaw] - Hard - Ronald Weasley/Luna Lovegood

8. HPFC [The Violet Queen] - Hard - George Weasley/Luna Lovegood

9. SU [FirstYear] - Insane - Luna Lovegood/Hermione Granger

10. HPFC [MysteriousFlower] - Medium - Bellatrix Lestrange/Narcissa Malfoy - Deadly Desires

11. HPFC [handschuhmaus] - Insane - Neville Longbottom/Ginny Weasley

12. HPFC [xakemii] - Hard - Percy Weasley/Penelope Clearwater

13. HPFC [the infamous dollface] - Medium - Sirius Black/Ginny Weasley

14. HPFC [TemperedRose] - Insane - Blaise Zabini/Luna Lovegood

15. HPFC [ToldInTechnicolour] - Insane - Draco Malfoy/Hannah Abbott - What She Required

16. SU [silverbirch] - Insane - Ronald Weasley/Pansy Parkinson

17. HPFC [opaque-girl] - Easy - Harry Potter/Astoria Greengrass

18. HPFC [The Fourth Black Sister] - - Lily Luna Potter/Rose Weasley

19. HPFC [LunaHyde] - Medium - Lucius Malfoy/Ginny Weasley

20. HPFC [Rosa Clearwater] - Hard - Harry Potter/Luna Lovegood

21. HPFC [comebacksirius] - Medium - James Potter/Narcissa Malfoy

22. HPFC [call-me-bee] - Insane - Harry Potter/Victoire Weasley

23. HPFC [DramioneLurver] - Hard - Harry Potter/Hermione Granger

24. HPFC [EveryShadeOfDeath] - Insane - Neville Longbottom/Pansy Parkinson

25. HPFC [Wendy Brune] - Medium - Sir Nicolas de Mimsy-Porpington/Andromeda Tonks [Black]

26. HPFC [-EHWIES] - Medium - James Potter/Alice Longbottom

27. HPFC [Amy is rockin] - Insane - Seamus Finnigan/Luna Lovegood

28. HPFC [Marissa Slipped Up] - Hard - Hermione Granger/Ginny Weasley

29. HPFC [StoryGirl02] - Medium - Harry Potter/Lavender Brown

30. HPFC [Falconflight] - Medium - Harry Potter/Katie Bell

31. HPFC [Regina lacrimarum] - Insane - Lysander Scamander/Rose Weasley

32. SU [lightblue-Nymphadora] - Insane - Ron Weasley/Luna Lovegood

33. SU [AtwoJay] - Easy - Arthur Weasley/Molly Prewett

8/27/2010 . Edited 3/7/2011 #1
FirstYear

Okay, so I have to give this a try. Umm...insane? Yup, both me and the level.

I don't really understand the three word phase...how about.... Living with Muggles?

8/28/2010 #2
ToManyLetters

Okay.

You have chosen to participate on the insane difficulty.

Your autocomplete prompt is "That's almost as bad as living with Muggles."

Your pairing is Luna Lovegood and Hermione Granger.

Your prompt is "let's try that again".

8/28/2010 #3
FirstYear

Sounds like fun. So, I can have other characters as long as Hermione and Luna are the main ones, right?

8/28/2010 #4
ToManyLetters

That's correct. I can't wait to see what you cook-up.

8/29/2010 #5
silverbirch

This sounds ridiculously silly, so it has to be gone for.

I was watching a band a few weeks ago who'd written a piece of music but needed a name for it, which they wanted to be three words. Then one of them saw a sign tied to a tree that said "Well done, Nigel". If its good enough for them its good enough for me.

I'll go insane as well.

8/31/2010 #6
ToManyLetters

@silverbirch

You have chosen to participate on Insane difficulty.

Your autocomplete is "Well done, [Nigel]. One more hit and it would have exploded."

Your prompt is "Tied to a willow tree".

Your pairing is Ronald Weasley and Pansy Parkinson.

8/31/2010 #7
silverbirch

Oh joy! I'll get me thinkin' cap on!

9/1/2010 #8
FirstYear

I just wanted to say, after two botched attempts at the insane challenge,that my muse has taken up drinking. Not that her drinking is in its self is a bad thing. Its not. She finds some great ideas at the bottom of a glass. However, I suspect she is now swigging from the bottle on the sly, making me do this one on my own, and taking great delight in it.

9/7/2010 #9
ToManyLetters

Yeah, Luna/Hermione requires some exploration before writing, I think... it's not one of those pairings that just works right off the bat. Trust me - try writing a good (or - even more challenging - believable) Ron/Ginny. Do one or two and you'll find you can make anyone fit with anyone in next to no time flat.

P.S. If anyone knows of any good Ron/Ginny stories, lemme know. Kthx.

Edited to add: With your prompts, you might have Hermione blurt the autocomplete prompt, then try correcting herself with the second prompt when Luna gives her a weird look. Who knows.. maybe Luna's reading something from the Quibbler... a Wrackspurt's gotten in her ear or a Crumple Horned Snorkack possessed her to fancy Hermione. *Shrug*

9/7/2010 . Edited 9/7/2010 #10
silverbirch

The very best Ron/Ginny I ever read (it is on my favourites) has to be http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4987389/1/ "So they all rolled over".

Be prepared to blub like a baby.

9/7/2010 #11
FirstYear

If anyone knows of any good Ron/Ginny stories, lemme know

If you mean incest then no. Thanks but no. If you mean just as characters in a story fine. I don't do incest or slash. Well, hardly ever...however there will be a chapter in a story I am working on that touches on it and someones reaction to it...I have no idea if I have it right.

Not that I have anything against a good fem/fem or male/male but writing something I have no idea about would be as lame as most of the stories like that I have seen on this and other sites. I know there are a few decent ones, but hard to find and far between. If I was going for a 200 word piece of humorous fluff it may work, but I have a hard time with that with this couple.

No, I have the plot, setting, characters, even a lot of the dialog... for two different stories. I just can not find a good interaction between these two characters. I have written both before so am at a loss as to why I am having such a hard time and must admit I normally don't have problems with characters and i have tackled a good number of them.

However, I am too stubborn to give up. Maybe I should have them stop for a drink with my muse. May lighten things up a bit. I will get it done...that or post the worst story ever.

9/8/2010 #12
FirstYear

The fist of two stories I am posting for this challenge is here.

A bit of fluff (groan)...

9/10/2010 #13
lightblue-Nymphadora

Dude! This is epic! Can I still do this? If so, I'd like Level: Insane. "I did wiggle..."

Squicks: Please, no rape, bestiality, or Weasleycest. Other than that, I'm down :)

12/17/2010 #14
Esther Huffleclaw

I'd like to participate, if possible. I'll do easy and my pairing will be Molly/Arthur.

Never look back.

2/23/2011 . Edited 2/23/2011 #15
ToManyLetters

@lightblue-Nymphadora

Your autocomplete prompt is: " I did wiggle inside once..."

Your pairing is Ron/Luna.

3/7/2011 #16
ToManyLetters

@AtwoJay

Your autocomplete prompt is "'Never look back,' she whispered"

3/7/2011 #17
Esther Huffleclaw

Here's mine: Never Look Back

3/11/2011 #18
echoing noise

I'll take Hard with "Harry sometimes thought", please.

3/13/2011 #19
ToManyLetters

I'll take Hard with "Harry sometimes thought", please.

Your autocomplete prompt is "Harry sometimes thought she loved him. Now, as she stood before him, he was sure."

Your pairing is Harry/Hermione.

3/13/2011 #20
Rosawyn

Easy, please. My three word phrase: "you can't use"

3/13/2011 #21
ToManyLetters

Easy, please. My three word phrase: "you can't use"

Your autocomplete prompt is "You can't use that! Think of the children!"

3/13/2011 . Edited 3/13/2011 #22
thenewkait

Hard please. (Can it not be slash or femmeslash though)

and My three word phrase is: "You think you're"

3/28/2011 #23
Love From A Muggle

Medium please- my character: Ronald Weasley.

6/8/2011 #24
White Camel

Meeeediiiiuuuuuumm. :)

I pick Harry Potter, and my three words are 'trouser burp competition'. I'd rather not write anything M-rated, incest, bestiality or anything along those lines. Only kid-friendly stuff, please (nothing above a good old T).

11/27/2011 #25
ToManyLetters

@thenewkait - Your prompt is "You think you're so funny, standing there in nothing but a bow tie and top hat." Your pairing is Harry/Gabrielle.

@Love From A Muggle - In order to participate in this competition, you must provide the three word phrase from which I give you your prompt.

@Miscatonic Mints - Your prompt is "Miss Hermione Granger has won the prestigious 'Trouser Burp Competition'." Your pairing is Harry/Hermione.

12/10/2011 #26
Forum Moderators: ToManyLetters
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member