The Sober Universe
This is the forum to discuss materials relating to the Sober Universe SU. The Sober Universe is the canon material excluding interviews, documentaries, and additional material from JKR.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Bureau 13

What are your thoughts on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part II?

What did you like, dislike, or wish they'd done differently?

7/15/2011 #1
Rosawyn

For the most part I liked it. A lot. :D Honestly, I'd have to go back and read the book over again to know for sure what was different. I was a little disappointed, actually, that we still did not get to see Remus and Tonks die onscreen, but the way they did it worked.

And I know I'm not alone in my LOVE for Neville/Luna becoming movie-canon. :D

I also think when and where Neville kills Nagini works better in the movie, at least as a movie.

7/16/2011 #2
Bureau 13

I've very mixed feelings of the last film, but I did, especially, love the Neville/Luna love. It felt, though, like there was more fan service than actual material adapted from the novel. Their warping of key scenes, for example - Ron/Hermione's kiss and Neville's moment of valour (I was not amused with this change) - where among the worst. It made Neville seem like a lucky dolt instead of the brave hero he is in canon. The lack of setup for the Ron/Hermione moment really was detrimental to that scene, too - and after that scene, Ron and Hermione never did return to being in character. It seems like HP8 was a bit like Steve Kloves' opportunity to write fan fiction for the big screen. I may be a bit tough on films, especially the Harry Potter films, but all in all, I'd give it a 4.5/10 stars.

7/16/2011 . Edited 7/16/2011 #3
Rosawyn

I guess I kind of agree with you on the Ron/Hermione kiss (it did seem to come out of nowhere), but I don't agree with you about Neville. He does seem like a brave hero in the movie, at least to me. The book has Volemort doing some weird-ass "sorting" crap thing, spewing drivel about how Slytherin is the only worthy house, basically underlining the whole "all Slytherins are evil" message that is clearly contradicted by Harry in the epilogue scene with Albus Severus. In the movie, Neville is the only one brave enough to speak out against Voldemort, even against Seamus' warning not to. And honestly, Volemort's praise of Neville's pure blood status in the books does not ring as true as his open mockery of Neville in the movie. People think of Neville as a useless klutz; this is a fact. Which is all the more reason it's awesome when he proves them wrong. He kills Nagini not only to weaken Voldemort, but also to save Ron and Hermione who are about to be killed by her. So not only is he a capable hero, but he just saved their asses in a moment of epic badassery.

I do get what you're saying about the "fanservice" feeling...I especially felt the Snape/Lily shippers have been given more than enough fodder to keep them in sappy music vids for a decade or so. Not that those scenes were necessarily bad, just...maybe a bit too much focus on them and not enough on other couples such as Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny.

7/16/2011 #4
Bureau 13

but I don't agree with you about Neville. He does seem like a brave hero in the movie, at least to me.

The entire scene leading-up to what should have been Neville's valiant moment is a half-arsed chase scene by the Trio with next to no use of magic... only to have the conveniently knocked-out Neville, made-out very much to be a buffoon, awake to swing his sword. I much prefer the book's version of this scene.

he book has Volemort doing some weird-ass "sorting" crap thing, spewing drivel about how Slytherin is the only worthy house, basically underlining the whole "all Slytherins are evil"...

This really is just Voldemort and his pure-blood favouritism at its finest.

And honestly, Volemort's praise of Neville's pure blood status in the books

This was really just Voldemort trying to get Neville to shut-up and get him out of the way. In some fashion, too, Voldemort was mocking him - trying to show him what he could have been - what he could be. Remember that Voldemort didn't want to spill magical blood - he said that quite clearly in both the book and the film. Neville is a pure blood.

Not that those scenes were necessarily bad,

To be honest, I thought all of the Severus/Lily scenes (with Alan Rickman) were dreadful. He looked awful in the scenes. They really should have rethought his make-up and hair - it just made him look really creepy and instead of being a sweet moment made it a sickening one.

*Grumble* And we still don't know whether or not Lavender survives.

7/16/2011 . Edited 7/16/2011 #5
Rosawyn

And we still don't know whether or not Lavender survives.

Ok...so that WAS Lavender being nomed by Greyback, right? Because I had an argument with my brother about this. He thought it was Colin Creavy. But my husband and I both agreed it looked like a girl, and I just assumed it was Lavender (I remember seeing her signature blonde hair spirals) until we left the theater and were talking, and my brother was all like "Huh-wut? That wasn't even a girl!"

Voldemort didn't want to spill magical blood - he said that quite clearly in both the book and the film.

Yeah, he says that, but then he's perfectly happy to let his underlings die for him. Lots of them. I found it particularly hypocritical when he accuses Harry of "the worst dishonour" for letting his friends die for him. Oh, but of course, Voldemort doesn't have "friends," just madly devoted underlings who would happily lick various parts of his body if he let them....

7/16/2011 #6
Bureau 13

Yes, that was, without doubt, Jesse Cave's very feminine body getting nomed. Colin hasn't been part of the films for a while. That other oddball replaced him.

Of course Voldemort is a hypocrite. He's not a pure-blood either.

7/17/2011 . Edited 7/17/2011 #7
Bureau 13

For more regarding your case that it was, in fact, Lavender getting nomed, go to the biography section of Lavender Brown's article at harrypotter.wikia.com. There's a picture of her feebly holding on to life.

7/17/2011 #8
ConfusedTeenager

But does she live or die? I wish Jo would say.

8/17/2011 #9
Bureau 13

I, too, wish she'd say. If she did survive, whom did she marry? Did she have children?

8/17/2011 #10
ConfusedTeenager

What did she do for a living? How did the attack humble her? Etc.,etc. I liked Lavender. She reminds me of myself, to some extent. I felt really sorry for her when Ron used her. I just wanna know what happened, dammit! Why does Jo leave so many untied ends?!

Sorry for my whining. ;)

8/17/2011 #11
ToManyLetters

I wouldn't say that Ron used Lavender. I actually think that, in the beginning, there was definitely some interest. In the end, he just got tired of her bubbly personality and wanted someone more familiar.

Why does Jo leave so many untied ends?!

Because there are so many ends to tie-up. Hopefully Pottermore will close some of those ends up for us.

8/17/2011 #12
ConfusedTeenager

Maybe. I'll have to wait for Pottermore, though. :(

8/17/2011 #13
Forum Moderators: ToManyLetters
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member